PDA

View Full Version : Which Boat to Order

It's Only Money
10-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Hey foks....been lurking a while but finally registered and am posting for the first time!
We are contemplating ordering a new boat in the next few weeks and haven't decided which boat to get and what accessories...
We have narrowed the boat choices to the following:
Hallet 270
Lavey 2750 NuEra
Eliminator 280 Eagle XP
My girlfriend and I like all these boats alot. The power will likely be a Merc HP525 and we will be getting full hydraulic to the helm. We are moving up from an older Eliminator 25'er which while we liked a lot doesn't seem to compare with these two new boats. We aren't wedded to Eliminator. We probably will do a little ocean running as well as a lot of lake time.
Some questions...
Which boat do you folks think is the better boat?
What accessories are must have?
What about Trim Tabs?
All answers respected.
Dana

Roxysnow
10-26-2004, 11:02 AM
Welcome to the boards! Those are some nice boats your looking at, If I had the choice, mine would be the Hallet27. Awsome work and quality. Check the engine though, I heard some companies were having problems with the 525...? Good luck on the choices and welcome to the boards!

It's Only Money
10-26-2004, 11:21 AM
What would be a good choice instead of the HP525? I don't want to go with a specialty builder as we will be boating all over the place and I'd like to keep warranty issues supported. I had planned on a HP500 but I heard that Merc discontinued it.

dicudmore
10-26-2004, 12:07 PM
Of those 3 I'd probably personally buy the Hallett, but any of the 3 would fit the bill.
While prob not absolutely necessary, tabs make an improvement on ANY v-hull
Lots of people on the boards here running 525's w/good success.
Good luck to you neighbor :D
(simi here)

HALLETT BOY
10-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Just took delivery of a Hallett 270 Open bow with a Paul Pfaff 700 EFI...couldn't be happier ! Call Jerry at Hallett and talk to him !

Powerquestboy
10-26-2004, 12:14 PM
The Hallett would definitly be my first choice, then the Lavey and lastly the Eliminator. Hallett builds a sweet boat and if your planning on running in the ocean I would get the tabs. You will probably never use them on the lake but I would get them for sure.

phebus
10-26-2004, 12:31 PM
I don't know if it was intentional or not (the order in which you listed them), but the way they are listed would be my choice. 1. Hallett, 2. Lavey, 3. Eliminator.

Ducatista
10-26-2004, 12:57 PM
I don't know if it was intentional or not (the order in which you listed them), but the way they are listed would be my choice. 1. Hallett, 2. Lavey, 3. Eliminator.
Ditto.....all 3 very nice choices, you will be fine with any of these for sure. The 270 with the stepped bottom w/525 is a good way to go. You might want to check with WoponWater, he has this package in his 270.
Tabs=yes
Silencers=yes
Killer stereo=yes
Women=yes! :rollside:

dicudmore
10-26-2004, 01:06 PM
Ditto.....all 3 very nice choices, you will be fine with any of these for sure. The 270 with the stepped bottom w/525 is a good way to go. You might want to check with WoponWater, he has this package in his 270.
Tabs=yes
Silencers=yes
Killer stereo=yes
Women=yes! :rollside:
I agree with all of those necessities for the boat :cool:

TPI
10-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Although I am very partial to the Howard Bullet line, I noticed it was not one of your choices? With that being said, my next choice would be the Hallet, for room, comfort, and stability. The 270 is a nice boat.

dicudmore
10-26-2004, 01:55 PM
Although I am very partial to the Howard Bullet line, I noticed it was not one of your choices? With that being said, my next choice would be the Hallet, for room, comfort, and stability. The 270 is a nice boat.
the Bullett would also get my $$$$, but of his choices, Hallett 270 would get my vote ;)

throwerb
10-26-2004, 02:10 PM
If it was me I would check out Nashvillebounds ultra (great deal) or this boat (a little pricey for me) and save some cash for gas. :D
***SPAM*** 2001 Ultra 247 For Sale
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2001 Ultra 247XS
HP500EFI with WhippleCharger (added at 100hrs)
Approximately 190 hours total (still enjoying the season)
XR drive
Dana Offshore Tabs, cup holders.....etc
Custom Extreme trailer with 5000 lb axles instead of 3200
4 wheel disc brakes instead of 2. Custom wheels and tires.
Its the best trailer I have ever towed with.
WPM external steering
Billet marine oil filter w/ cartrige (no more spilling oil everywhere)
Billet Marine top cap w/ shower for the drive
New GPS speedo
Gaffrig gauges
Full instrumentation
28" Bravo 1 prop included
Matching Bimini
double tow cover and a mooring cover
90 MPH GPS
GREAT condition!!!!!!!!! Delivery possible anywhere!
$64,000...that almost free!!!!!
615-714-8100
All major service and major maintanence has been done by GT
Performance.
Attached Images boat2b.jpg (41
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2496213996&category=26432&sspagename=WDVW

jbtrailerjim
10-26-2004, 03:29 PM
I think I could suffer with any one of the three you mentioned. But if I had a choice the Hallet would be mine. There graphics are kind of on the plain side but you just can't beat there quality IMO. All three are very nice boats though.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-26-2004, 03:59 PM
Given the choices you put up, I would go with the Hallett. The 270 is just an awesome boat!

cc322
10-26-2004, 04:35 PM
I agree with all three being excellent quaility boats, that being said I would go Lavey. The 2750 is Lavey's race proven bottom design that works wonders in the ocean, if you choose vacum bagging it even makes it stronger and lighter, of course I am a little bias towards Lavey. Do a search for the Lavey catalina run and you will see alot of the 27's also imo Lavey is shootin some killer gel desigins to where some others a very plain.

XtrmWakeborder
10-26-2004, 04:47 PM
Wild Lavey has a 275 for sale for 87k might want to check him out..looks like a nice boat
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/511/117helishot.jpg

voodoomedman
10-26-2004, 04:49 PM
I agree with all three being excellent quaility boats, that being said I would go Lavey. The 2750 is Lavey's race proven bottom design that works wonders in the ocean, if you choose vacum bagging it even makes it stronger and lighter, of course I am a little bias towards Lavey. Do a search for the Lavey catalina run and you will see alot of the 27's also imo Lavey is shootin some killer gel desigins to where some others a very plain.
I agree all great boats but Lavey is the one I've seen being towed by the race team down the freeway and you can get it vacuum bagged. My biggest thing between the three great boats would be the gel. Hallet's are sweet but the gel looks like it's from 1975. They will tell you that they are traditional and will only let you pick from some predetermined designs from a book. Not custom IMHO. While it's not the gel on an Ultra I think Lavey will give you the best gel out of the three.

cc322
10-26-2004, 06:18 PM
The Lavey and the eliminator have molded in swim steps, not sure if that makes a differance to you but, when it came time for us to buy a new boat that's what I wanted.So for me it was a process of elimanation.. I think the Hallett has a bolt on. Good luck they are all top notch boats.

Sane Asylum
10-26-2004, 06:56 PM
WELCOME!!!!!
All three very nice boats......the Hallett is definately dated paint-wise but extremely well built. They don't get real crazy with the gel....
Now.....Slightly biased but a 288 Sunsation didn't make your list......IMHO you'd be crazy not to test one.....Vacuum bagged, offshore champeeeen, tight, tight tight...(did I say tight) and you can get killer graphics. Witha 525 looking at maybe 80ish...... :2purples:
Only reason folks don't know em' is because they're east coast and they really have not tried to enter into this competitive market......
good luck.....PM me if you need any more info....

Topock Junkie
10-26-2004, 07:10 PM
I recently went through the same dilema. I went with the Hallett 270 with a Paul Pfaff 600 hp. My wife and I love it. We could not be happier. You can never go wrong with a Hallett.

THOR
10-26-2004, 08:04 PM
WELCOME!!!!!
All three very nice boats......the Hallett is definately dated paint-wise but extremely well built. They don't get real crazy with the gel....
Now.....Slightly biased but a 288 Sunsation didn't make your list......IMHO you'd be crazy not to test one.....Vacuum bagged, offshore champeeeen, tight, tight tight...(did I say tight) and you can get killer graphics. Witha 525 looking at maybe 80ish...... :2purples:
Only reason folks don't know em' is because they're east coast and they really have not tried to enter into this competitive market......
good luck.....PM me if you need any more info....
Is that 80K or 80 mph you are referring to?

THOR
10-26-2004, 08:06 PM
The gel on the Lavey will be the best. But, from what I hear that model will take a ton of driver input and concentration at high speeds.
The Eliminator is my overall choice. But, they are pricey.

Quality Time
10-26-2004, 08:11 PM
Do they have a web site SA?
sunsationboats.com :)

MACH26
10-26-2004, 08:32 PM
I'm selling this 28 DCB and it has the 575SCI and only 42 hours. I'm pretty motivated to sell so I can order my new boat :cool:
http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/5/3/74380853.htm
Javier

Sane Asylum
10-27-2004, 05:18 AM
Do they have a web site SA?
www.sunsationboats.com

Sane Asylum
10-27-2004, 05:20 AM
Is that 80K or 80 mph you are referring to?
MPH

Sane Asylum
10-27-2004, 05:23 AM
sunsationboats.com :)
QT.....Took the salt water plunge about two weeks ago......Trip to catalina was awesome......My 32' boat seemed very small in that big ocean though :eek:
Lemme know if you guys ever plan another trip......

dicudmore
10-27-2004, 06:35 AM
QT.....Took the salt water plunge about two weeks ago......Trip to catalina was awesome......My 32' boat seemed very small in that big ocean though :eek:
you don't need to be biased....those sunsation's are bad-ass boats :D
used to live near Castaic Marine so I've seen lots of them....NICE NICE NICE.
They have a pretty cool vid also showing their assembly and some running shots....couple years old though, back when they had a 25' in the line up also.
Built for the great lakes, they'll handle the 'zoo chop that's for sure :D

Quality Time
10-27-2004, 06:52 AM
Check out the Lake Pcific Run thread. Group going out on Nov. 13th. It would be great to run with another 32.

It's Only Money
10-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Thanks - greatly - for the opinions. I'm leaning towards the Hallett and don't mind "dated" graphics at all. I think in some ways they are "timeless"! :D
The Eliminator is my last choice. Lavey second right now. I need to drive the Lavey - that's the only one I haven't driven.
Money in this price range is pretty similar and in the ballpark.
The Howard seemed smallish. Dropped it from the list.
The used boats - the one pictured in the thread has too much color for my tastes. I need a little less "pizazzz" maybe.
I have heard some of the handling stories about the Lavey from a few other sources so that's why it wasn't put up at the top. One person told me that the Lavey originally handled badly and the bottom had to be retooled. Don't know if this is true or not. Any input?

It's Only Money
10-27-2004, 11:04 AM
Sunsation is just that - an East Coast boat. I kind of want to stay with a west coast builder to watch the boat construction in progreess.

dicudmore
10-27-2004, 11:09 AM
I have heard some of the handling stories about the Lavey from a few other sources so that's why it wasn't put up at the top. One person told me that the Lavey originally handled badly and the bottom had to be retooled. Don't know if this is true or not. Any input?
I have personally not driven any Lavey's...I like the looks of them...
I had 3 different owners at my last shop that had the 24' NuEra, all 3 liked the boat, but all 3 mentioned that the boat had BAD chine walk at WOT, like they were going to be ejected....
I have also read only of the 2750 being a "driver's boat"
just my $.02

Quality Time
10-27-2004, 12:02 PM
Sunsation is just that - an East Coast boat. I kind of want to stay with a west coast builder to watch the boat construction in progreess.
Long drive from Northridge to Irwindale everyday. Don't get me wrong, Hallett is a nice boat, but I can share with you an entire gallery of my boat being built.

dicudmore
10-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Long drive from Northridge to Irwindale everyday. Don't get me wrong, Hallett is a nice boat, but I can share with you an entire gallery of my boat being built.
QT with that Sunsation you can tell us the temp and baro pressure in the room the day each layer of glass was being done, much less give pics, they keep some serious detail about what and when they're building :D

Quality Time
10-27-2004, 03:19 PM
:D :D :D

cc322
10-27-2004, 04:24 PM
I had 3 different owners at my last shop that had the 24' NuEra, all 3 liked the boat, but all 3 mentioned that the boat had BAD chine walk at WOT, like they were going to be ejected....
I have also read only of the 2750 being a "driver's boat"
I have a 04 24 nu era and love it. I believe that the feeling (chine walk ) is when the steps come into play the boat loosen's up, if you have never driven a step bottom boat it will kinda scare you at first, but you get use to it real fast. No matter what a boat mfg tells you get trim tabs, they are woth the extra cost, helps hook the boat to the water, makes for a very stable ride. All and all Lavey has been great to deal with before and after the sale, they also through a awsome regatta. If thier ever comes a day to go bigger than what I allready have I would buy another Lavey just my 02, good luck.

riverrunner
10-28-2004, 09:18 AM
I've heard nothing but great things about Lavey and Hallett. I believe the best resale value would be the Hallett though.

Essex502
10-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Didn't one of the board members a few years ago have a negative experience with the Hallett 270? "Supersomething" of other?
I side with GT...take that Howard 28 Bullet out on the lake and though it may feel a little smaller it's a beauty if the rough water. Plus, it's pretty close to your location so you can visit it during it's construction a lot easier.

It's Only Money
10-28-2004, 01:40 PM
I would encourage anyone that had negatives to say about any of the boats listed to message me privately if you like. This is a big decision.

It's Only Money
10-28-2004, 01:42 PM
Wouln't be every day! Every weekend, maybe. Irwindale to Northridge isn't bad at all. Northridge to Michigan - now that's a bad drive! :D Don't get me wrong, if Sunsation were located here in southern cal I would be more interested.

little rowe boat
10-28-2004, 02:13 PM
Of the 3 boats you listed,go with the Hallett.

Steamin' Rice
10-28-2004, 03:01 PM
Out of the three boats that you listed, I would personally go with the Hallett. All three are quality boats and I don't think you can make a bad choice with any of them...

Havasu_Dreamin
10-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Yes, a boardmember had a problem with a 270 Hallet, the step-bottom version. All of this was reported here on HB.com. The 270 Hallett is available both in a step and non-step bottom. Also, from what was reported here, the Lavey 2750 can become a handful. However, that was supposedly fixed with a re-designed bottom.
We went through the same process last winter and were leaning hard towards the Hallett 270, absolutely love that boat, but we went another direction.

Member: 7673
10-28-2004, 06:41 PM
Good Luck
Just my 0.02 :)

Havasu_Dreamin
10-28-2004, 07:32 PM
I was surprised to see Hallet posts their pricing right on their web site. I would not expect that from them....
Naw, they're up front about the price, it's just the salespeople are a$$holes.

dicudmore
10-29-2004, 07:25 AM
true 'dat :wink:

No Regrets
10-29-2004, 10:20 AM
Ya Know, for the price of one more 525, you could get the 30 like mine :cool:
If you plan on doing any ocean running, get the non step bottom. A little slower but more stable.
I wish they had made the 525's in 02 when I built mine.
Winter build is your best bet down in Irwindale. Dont wait for the boat show or you'll be looking @ higher $ and Memorial day if your lucky
Resale is huge- I sold my 240 for 3 grand less than I paid for 2 1/2 years after I bought it brand new.

It's Only Money
10-29-2004, 11:06 AM
Stretching another $45K is not in the picture at this time. I have been leaning towards a non-step bottom anyway and what all of you are saying confirms my opinion.

Topock Junkie
10-29-2004, 11:14 AM
I have the 270 step bottom and i wouldn't go any other way. This boat is stable as can be with zero chine walk.

luckymick
10-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Naw, they're up front about the price, it's just the salespeople are a$$holes.
Yeah, you know I think the Hallett 270 is top choice for me as well (probably a year out).
What I find paradoxical is: I have a friend that likes to mess with the Hallett sales people because they have been so rude to him. However, personally - Hallett and Magic/Sleek have been the ONLY manufacturers in the last four boat shows I visited to let me and my 5 & 6 year old boys unsupervised access to ALL boats on display. I've dealt w/ Chris, Nick, and Dan "D"
all of whom have been patient, gracious, and attentive. I've made it very clear I'm not in the market for a year/two years and they have still invited me to the factory to inspect the building process or would be more than happy to arrange rides on certain models to compare. Never once have I heard any of those three slam their competition. They have all said they want me to compare detail to detail.
Elminator "barked" at me to get my kids off the floor where their boats resided. Dana had sold their 27' at the time and would let ME on! Ultra said no to my kids (not rude, just a "we'll pass" attitude). Nordic rep let 'em sit on the sunpad. Have not - unfortunately - talked to the Howard people (would like to!)
Oh, and not 'cause I'm biased (even though I am!) :D my kids are 100% respectful, polite, and listen (that is, to everyone except me/my wife!).
So much so, my kids at their second boat show ever, walked up to the Halletts (first stop) and took of their shoes w/o being asked!
Not trying to stirr the pot. This has been my experience. I happen to find the three Hallett people more than gracious to deal with. Oh, and my neighbor across the street bought a 2000 255... all the Hallett sales people remember them by first name 3-4 years later! Heck, I have a hard time remembering my mother-in-law's name from time-to-time... :D I'm impressed! :p

supercrewjohn5x
10-30-2004, 03:26 PM
Didn't one of the board members a few years ago have a negative experience with the Hallett 270? "Supersomething" of other?
I side with GT...take that Howard 28 Bullet out on the lake and though it may feel a little smaller it's a beauty if the rough water. Plus, it's pretty close to your location so you can visit it during it's construction a lot easier.
Yes. that right. While on a Hallet test drive on Lake Castaic in Sept 2001 the Hallet 270 step distributed very irregular handling while taking a hard left. It rolled to the outside and ejected all 4 passengers. It proceeded to take it self on a 5 mile ghost ride. I have a 23 inch titanium rod in my right femur and a permenantly damaged right hip as a result.
Having been a previous owner of a Hallet 210, I can say that they do build a quality product. However, based on how I was treated after the accident ( where I was a passenger) I would have any person seriously consider not purchasing boats from the elder Barrons. Chris and his brother Travis are both good people, but the old man is an arrogant piece of work.
There is no amount of money that can fix my abiity run, swim or even sleep comfortably..
Sorry for the rant..
If it was me, I would consider making a purchase from Shockwave or Ultra . Their build quality is equal, and they will go the extra mile to make things right..

cc322
10-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Lavey :d

SHOTKALLIN
10-30-2004, 05:56 PM
WOW!!! never heard that story before. Damn...I thought the hallet people were flawless.

WopOnWater
10-30-2004, 09:33 PM
Just finisihed 2nd season with our 270 step bottom with the HP525 and love it more every time I drive. I have had zero problems with the way it handles at any speed or water conditions weather it be going straight or turning. As far as the way I was treated by Jerry, Nick, Chris, Jim and Dan, it was unmatched by any other builder we visited. My wife and I were treated with respect and kindness from the day we started looking and still when I call for something they remember me by my name. Hell one day I went to see the progress of them building the boat and cought Nick in the bed of my truck putting a Hallett sticker on the window. The way I look at it treat people like you like to be treated. We didnt go in buying with an attitude like most do. I think they appreciated not dealing with another A-hole. I had a eliminator prior to the Hallett and was treated like a second class citizen when I went back to buy again and this was from the same saleman. When we did finally decide on the Hallett Jerry personally came into the shop while on vacation to meet my wife and I to finilize the deal and smoked eliminators price. As far as graphics go that it just a rumor that they make you pick out of a catalog. We designed our own and they had no problem at all with it. Anyway sorry about the long post, just had alot to say. "Its Only Money" go with the Hallett you will not be sorry.

cc322
10-31-2004, 07:38 AM
My brother n law has the Hallett 25 and love's it, good luck.

It's Only Money
11-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Man...is that true about the Hallett dumping the riders into the drink? I'd like to hear more. That is scary.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Man...is that true about the Hallett dumping the riders into the drink? I'd like to hear more. That is scary.
Yes, it is true.

It's Only Money
11-02-2004, 12:51 PM
Very scary. Might have to drop that one off of my list.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-02-2004, 12:54 PM
Very scary. Might have to drop that one off of my list.
Keep in mind it was the step-bottomed version and driver error might have contributed to the passengers getting tossed. I don't recall fully all of the details, but yes, it did happen. Regardless of what you choose, take a test ride first.

BeetleJuice
11-02-2004, 02:46 PM
Our previous boat was a '01 Hallett 270S closed bow. We loved it! Quality and workmanship was second to none, solid, tight and stable, never any rattles on ruff ocean runs. We had it for about two years and put about 200 hours on it and never had a problem. The boat has tons of room and storage for a 27 footer. Perfect lake and river boat and OK for cruising to Catalina. I keep in contact with the current owner and he and his family also love it. Definitely get the big K trim tabs. I used the tabs all the time, especially in the ruff. We wish we still had it for Havasu and especially Parker, where the 38' is a little too big. Only reason why we sold it was to get a 38' Offshore boat, since we do a lot of ocean runs and Big Poker Runs. Someday we will own another Hallett. Great resale value! Go with the Hallett.

supercrewjohn5x
11-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Keep in mind it was the step-bottomed version and driver error might have contributed to the passengers getting tossed. I don't recall fully all of the details, but yes, it did happen. Regardless of what you choose, take a test ride first.
Very possible on the driver error. The driver Hallet Fan from the boards did have a Hallet 24 open bow and was not super familiar with the boat. However, Rigger ( Travis Barron grandson of the Old Fart) defintely was. I drove the boat prior to the incident, and I felt that it was pretty lose even for a step bottom and was prone to prop blow out. This may not be true for all 270 Step bottoms depending on the setup. i guess that is why we call them Custom Boats vs Production boat like a Baja, Sea Ray or Cobalt or Formula or Fountain.
It may have been a setup issue. The morning ( we were on Cataic @ 730Am) that we had the boat out the objective was to get the boat dialed in for the Powerboat trials ( it was in the magazine just a few months later) :yuk: and therefore we tried a couple of different prop styles and pitches. I cant imagine that any of these would cause the boat to rock violently to the outside ( leaning to the right) while making a left hand turn going about 45.. The irony of this was this boat won sport boat of the year. :cry:
I can say as a previous Hallet owner ( i had a 210S ) that they do build a very nice boat and their build quality is toward the top of the West Coast with Howard,Schiada ( do they actually build more than 5 0r 10 a year), and new arrivals Ultra and Shockwave.

WILD LAVEY
11-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Greg, we have a catalina run on the 13th. 12 boats so far, are you gonna make it?
its only money, did you get my pm?

It's Only Money
11-03-2004, 12:05 PM
I guess we will have to try a few "hard turns" in the boats before we decide. Still sounds scary though.
Supercrewjohn5x...how did the leg and hip get damaged? From the ejection - like hitting the boat on the way out? Damn - that was serioius.

supercrewjohn5x
11-03-2004, 12:53 PM
I guess we will have to try a few "hard turns" in the boats before we decide. Still sounds scary though.
Supercrewjohn5x...how did the leg and hip get damaged? From the ejection - like hitting the boat on the way out? Damn - that was serioius.
Money.. Yeah you're correct. I was too tall for the left bolster seat ( standing that it I'm 6'5") The only thing that I can think is that my right femur got caught underneath the front portion of the seat. The femur broke 2-3 inches below its exit from the hip.
As far as the boat goes, the build quality on the 270 is very nice. What ever boat you choose you should always go for an on the water test to be sure that it is what you want, handles like you want etc, just like you would do with a car.. My issues with Hallet are not about the boats, it is about the way they treat customers.

JUST LOOKING
11-03-2004, 01:22 PM
Yes. that right. While on a Hallet test drive on Lake Castaic in Sept 2001 the Hallet 270 step distributed very irregular handling while taking a hard left. It rolled to the outside and ejected all 4 passengers. It proceeded to take it self on a 5 mile ghost ride. I have a 23 inch titanium rod in my right femur and a permenantly damaged right hip as a result.
Having been a previous owner of a Hallet 210, I can say that they do build a quality product. However, based on how I was treated after the accident ( where I was a passenger) I would have any person seriously consider not purchasing boats from the elder Barrons. Chris and his brother Travis are both good people, but the old man is an arrogant piece of work.
There is no amount of money that can fix my abiity run, swim or even sleep comfortably..
Sorry for the rant..
If it was me, I would consider making a purchase from Shockwave or Ultra . Their build quality is equal, and they will go the extra mile to make things right..
Woo, This story is so real me and 28sportcat was at the lake the day this happen the boat went by us then we notice no driver, so we turn around to follow and the boat ended up on shore. Also the boat seens to have only damage to the bottom and drive.

simple
11-03-2004, 02:52 PM
undefinedCheck the weight of the boats. Halletts tend to be heavier than Laveys & Eliminators. If perfrmance is a must, the Eliminator will stand out. If the ride is a must, the Hallett will edge the other two. The Laveycraft handling was panned by both Powerboat & ***boat earlier this year. Rumor has it they fixed it.
All (3) boats will keep up resale & their interiors will last 20 years with care.

supercrewjohn5x
11-03-2004, 04:48 PM
Woo, This story is so real me and 28sportcat was at the lake the day this happen the boat went by us then we notice no driver, so we turn around to follow and the boat ended up on shore. Also the boat seens to have only damage to the bottom and drive.
Wow.. Eye witness.. The boat was hauling butt from what I recall from others that saw it. I am so thankful that no one was seriously injured by it. I often wonder why the kill switch didnt get pulled. The driver must not have had it attached.. :frown: :shift:

voodoomedman
11-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Wow.. Eye witness.. The boat was hauling butt from what I recall from others that saw it. I am so thankful that no one was seriously injured by it. I often wonder why the kill switch didnt get pulled. The driver must not have had it attached.. :frown: :shift:
I always wear my lanyard!!!

supercrewjohn5x
11-03-2004, 07:56 PM
I always wear my lanyard!!!
amen brother!! :crossx: that would have saved us from having to get fished out. I swam about 250 yards with a busted up leg to get to the driver who was stunned and face down..

Essex502
11-04-2004, 07:02 AM
Wow...I hadn't heard some of those details!

THOR
11-04-2004, 08:56 AM
That is just plain scary. I am pretty sure I would be in that boat making turns.

supercrewjohn5x
11-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Was the driver a Hallet employee John?
Hi Dillgaf.,.. no the driver was not a Hallet employee but had been out testing a couple of times before and he was owner a 24 Hallett..he used to have a screen name on here "Hallett Fan".. However, one of their Riggers Travis Barron ( Chris Barrons brother and nephew of Nick Barron) who was my friend, was standing right behind me and was also ejected..

luckymick
11-06-2004, 10:26 AM
Just finisihed 2nd season with our 270 step bottom with the HP525 and love it more every time I drive. I have had zero problems with the way it handles at any speed or water conditions weather it be going straight or turning. As far as the way I was treated by Jerry, Nick, Chris, Jim and Dan, it was unmatched by any other builder we visited. My wife and I were treated with respect and kindness from the day we started looking and still when I call for something they remember me by my name. Hell one day I went to see the progress of them building the boat and cought Nick in the bed of my truck putting a Hallett sticker on the window. The way I look at it treat people like you like to be treated. We didnt go in buying with an attitude like most do. I think they appreciated not dealing with another A-hole. I had a eliminator prior to the Hallett and was treated like a second class citizen when I went back to buy again and this was from the same saleman. When we did finally decide on the Hallett Jerry personally came into the shop while on vacation to meet my wife and I to finilize the deal and smoked eliminators price. As far as graphics go that it just a rumor that they make you pick out of a catalog. We designed our own and they had no problem at all with it. Anyway sorry about the long post, just had alot to say. "Its Only Money" go with the Hallett you will not be sorry.
Woponwater: can ya post picts of your ride? I'd like to see a custom gel on a Hallett. Only seen their designs at the boat show and any Halletts on Mohave. Would like to see what they did on your boat!

supercrewjohn5x
11-10-2004, 11:28 AM
That is just plain scary. I am pretty sure I would be in that boat making turns.
Hi Thor.. One thing I would like to point out about the turn.. It was not a sharp turn like you might make to retrieve a skier.. It was just a moderate turn at speed which you have probably make thousands of times without even thinking about it. We were at the north end of the lake making a left hand sweeper at speed..

spectras only
11-10-2004, 11:49 AM
SCJ, did this boat have tabs and was it trimmed out properly ? .

supercrewjohn5x
11-11-2004, 01:29 PM
SCJ, did this boat have tabs and was it trimmed out properly ? .
Yes. It did have tabs and they were set to nuetral :2purples:

FRENCHIE
11-11-2004, 05:03 PM
..........SHOCKWAVE!!!! :wink: :)

voodoomedman
11-11-2004, 05:42 PM
..........SHOCKWAVE!!!! :wink: :)
...................Ultra :wink:

THOR
11-11-2004, 08:32 PM
..........ULTRA!!!! :wink: :)
You are exactly right Frenchie!!!!

FRENCHIE
11-11-2004, 09:18 PM
You are exactly right Frenchie!!!!
.......yea an ultra bitchen SHOCKWAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

voodoomedman
11-11-2004, 09:31 PM
.......yea an ultra bitchen SHOCKWAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
Tell me that you aren't tempted when you drive buy Ultra on the way to Shockwave. You know you are. Give in to your temptations. You know you want to.

dicudmore
11-11-2004, 09:33 PM
oh please.... :hammerhea

dicudmore
11-11-2004, 09:34 PM
Frenchie next time you're going to Suckwave I'd like to cruise down with ya to meet BD :cool:
EDIT: OOPS I really meant Shockwave...sorry boys

voodoomedman
11-11-2004, 09:45 PM
Frenchie next time you're going to Suckwave I'd like to cruise down with ya to meet BD :cool:
so you want to disguise that your going to Ultra too. :jawdrop:

shockwavebd
11-11-2004, 09:46 PM
You don't need him.....come on by... :boxingguy

voodoomedman
11-11-2004, 09:49 PM
Uh oh. Mr Shockwave himself. You know were just kidding eachother. You guys build a very nice boat.

dicudmore
11-11-2004, 09:50 PM
see my edit, I didn't mean it as a stab http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/beerchug.gif and I would for sure like a look at a certain hull :wink: :cool:

dicudmore
11-11-2004, 09:52 PM
so you want to disguise that your going to Ultra too. :jawdrop:
Hey, I wouldn't mind going down to meet John and Steve too, they build a nice boat too....But BD's always here on the boards and seems like someone we should be buying a beer http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/beerchug.gif

voodoomedman
11-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Hey, I wouldn't mind going down to meet John and Steve too, they build a nice boat too....But BD's always here on the boards and seems like someone we should be buying a beer http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/beerchug.gif
I hear ya I hear ya. But go to Ultra and they will buy you a beer!!! :wink:

FRENCHIE
11-12-2004, 09:33 AM
Tell me that you aren't tempted when you drive buy Ultra on the way to Shockwave. You know you are. Give in to your temptations. You know you want to.
you want the truth!!!?? I went to ultra last year b4 i even went to shockwave....wont get into all the details...but left there went to Shockwave and well.................the rest is history!!! :cool:
The boat, and the Salesman (Barry) did it for me!!! Being a salesman myself im very hard to sell and very skeptical and judgemental of other salesman...one reason i never looked back and walked out of Ultra!!!!!!!! :yuk:
When you meet Barry your getting not only a great boat, but and honest and knowledgeable individual!!!!! YOu cannot knock this guy!!! so dont even try!!! ;)

FRENCHIE
11-12-2004, 09:34 AM
they all need me...like i need you!!!! ;) :p :p :hammer2:

FRENCHIE
11-12-2004, 09:35 AM
see my edit, I didn't mean it as a stab http://www.lasvegas***boats.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/beerchug.gif and I would for sure like a look at a certain hull :wink: :cool:
reallly??? but why look at it??? we already know there 21' is fast!!!! :) :p :D

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
11-12-2004, 09:40 AM
get the Lavey, it will out perform the other two giving the same engine set up, elimaters do alot of chine walking

FRENCHIE
11-12-2004, 09:44 AM
get the Lavey, it will out perform the other two giving the same engine set up, elimaters do alot of chine walking
the lavey is smaller in both examples!! they dont make a 25' its a 24! and teh Shockave is a true 25' that does not include the swimstep..as with the Shockwave 29'....its nearly 31 with the step!!! :hammerhea :wink:
and quit foloding me im mad at you!!! :yuk:

supercrewjohn5x
11-12-2004, 01:00 PM
you want the truth!!!?? I went to ultra last year b4 i even went to shockwave....wont get into all the details...but left there went to Shockwave and well.................the rest is history!!! :cool:
The boat, and the Salesman (Barry) did it for me!!! Being a salesman myself im very hard to sell and very skeptical and judgemental of other salesman...one reason i never looked back and walked out of Ultra!!!!!!!! :yuk:
When you meet Barry your getting not only a great boat, but and honest and knowledgeable individual!!!!! YOu cannot knock this guy!!! so dont even try!!! ;)
You cant go wrong with either one. I like both the Shockwave 29 and Ultra 28 Stealth as well as the Shockwave 25 and the Ultra 24 Stealth.
The Shockwave 29 is bigger than most 30' ( at least it feels that way to me) :wink:

voodoomedman
11-12-2004, 04:11 PM
No prob. You can PM the juicy stuff. hehe. I hear ya. I just happened to have a great experience. Besides being the exact boat I want I have been treated top notch by all at Ultra. I get a good feel for it too for two reasons. My business and sales background and secondly because I'm only 24. Usually you get treated as such and as if you don't have any money so you don't matter. I was treated like anybody else and every promise was delivered on and more. I'm glad Barry takes care of you. That is the way it should be no matter who you buy from.

voodoomedman
11-12-2004, 04:12 PM
Off to Havasu. Talk to ya'll next week.

FRENCHIE
11-12-2004, 04:26 PM
Off to Havasu. Talk to ya'll next week.
cool!!!! :cool: :wink:

It's Only Money
11-16-2004, 01:39 PM
Now that's the kind of info I am looking for.
Shockwave - not in the picture.
Howard - now in the picture.
Hallett - out of the picture.
More work to do.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Some people on here will disagree with that assessment.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-16-2004, 04:13 PM
More work to do.
Howard makes a GREAT boat! I got a pretty good look at a Dana Performance Boats 27 this past weekend in Havasu and was very impressed. I know nothing about their layup or their rigging, I didn't get that close of a look, but Tom, the owner of Dana, was a really cool guy and the boat was real nice. The only drawback is the beam is only 92 inches I think so it's somewhat narrow. But damn, it looked good at speed with a 496 HO.

THOR
11-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Some people on here will disagree with that assessment.
Especially regarding gel schemes and originality.

It's Only Money
11-17-2004, 01:48 PM
Not that I considered Shockwave but there seems to be a story here - anyone care to elaborate?

cc322
11-17-2004, 03:03 PM
get the Lavey,
What he said :D :D :D

cc322
11-17-2004, 03:17 PM
the lavey is smaller in both examples!! they dont make a 25' its a 24!
The Lavey is 25.2 total length, from bow to end of swim step, a true 24 running bottom maybe even longer. We have friends with the 25 shockwave and they love thier boat. In fact we almost bought one, for about 4000.00 less then we paid for our Lavey. But there is a differance on how they are built. We love our Lavey and it is a solid boat, thats what I wanted from the get go so I knew that nothing else would have made me happy. Again Shockwave makes a awsome boat, but we chose Lavey for our own reasons, and fill we made the right choice for us. Good luck it is a hard choice.

RiverDave
11-17-2004, 03:27 PM
Now that's the kind of info I am looking for.
Shockwave - not in the picture.
Hallett - out of the picture.
More work to do.
You'd be making a mistake to be throwing Hallett out..
Go for a test drive, and tell the guy to whip the boat around a little bit. After you test ride in all of them, your going to come back to a couple of mfg's that really are the best of the best. Hallett is hands down one of them. You have 2 pages of everyone on here telling you all things being equal they'd buy the hallett.. think about that.
Out of all your choices listed I'd be tossed up between the Hallett and the Howard, but I'd be leaning towards the Hallett.... just becuase it's a "Hallett." ;)
RD

NashvilleBound
11-17-2004, 03:48 PM
I know this has not been brought up..... but I think a nice used Ultra 247 would be better for you... I just happen to have one :D :idea: :D

THOR
11-17-2004, 03:58 PM
You'd be making a mistake to be throwing Hallett out..
Go for a test drive, and tell the guy to whip the boat around a little bit. After you test ride in all of them, your going to come back to a couple of mfg's that really are the best of the best. Hallett is hands down one of them. You have 2 pages of everyone on here telling you all things being equal they'd buy the hallett.. think about that.
Out of all your choices listed I'd be tossed up between the Hallett and the Howard, but I'd be leaning towards the Hallett.... just becuase it's a "Hallett." ;)
RD
I never said I would buy a Hallett Dave. Just because its a Hallett ;)

voodoomedman
11-17-2004, 05:26 PM
I know this has not been brought up..... but I think a nice used Ultra 247 would be better for you... I just happen to have one :D :idea: :D
You kill me Nashville. Shameless plug. But if I was in the market for a used boat I'd really consider your setup. And it's an Ultra. Yeah baybee.

NashvilleBound
11-18-2004, 04:48 AM
I could not resist! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

98 Vector 21
11-18-2004, 09:48 PM
I like the look of the Lavey...However Chine walk is its middle name.

Keith E. Sayre
11-22-2004, 04:45 PM
I know where there is a super clean 2003 Hallett 270 stepped bottom closed bow with 496HO, loaded. Don't know his exact price but beautiful boat.
I can find out if anyone is interested.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

Steamin' Rice
11-22-2004, 05:07 PM
......You have 2 pages of everyone on here telling you all things being equal they'd buy the hallett.. think about that.
RD
RD, In my case I said that out of those choices I would pick the Hallett... I was shopping for a boat in that size range a few years ago and picked a different boat over the Hallett... Hallett builds a great boat, but I think that they have competitors that build boats that are just as good or better.. :D

shockwavebd
11-22-2004, 07:18 PM
RD, In my case I said that out of those choices I would pick the Hallett... I was shopping for a boat in that size range a few years ago and picked a different boat over the Hallett... Hallett builds a great boat, but I think that they have competitors that build boats that are just as good or better.. :D
Yea RD what the boatless one said............... :idea:

dicudmore
11-22-2004, 08:10 PM
Yea RD what the boatless one said............... :idea:
must REALLY SUCK to be boatless ;)

wildbillg
11-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Have you thought about Nordic Boats?
NORDIC POWER BOATS (www.nordicpowerboats.com)
Take a look and let me know if you like,
I can arrange a test drive of the 28 Heat

11-22-2004, 11:35 PM
:lightsabe HEY :lightsabe

dicudmore
11-23-2004, 11:46 AM
That was not directed at you sir :cool: :wink:

Steamin' Rice
11-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Yes, yes it does... But not for too much longer..... :D :D

It's Only Money
11-24-2004, 11:58 AM
I know where there is a super clean 2003 Hallett 270 stepped bottom closed bow with 496HO, loaded. Don't know his exact price but beautiful boat.
I can find out if anyone is interested.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400
How much? The joy of building a new boat can be offset with the right discount.

Keith E. Sayre
11-26-2004, 03:35 PM
I'll let you know . It's mint. Check your PM. Keith Sayre Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

supercrewjohn5x
11-26-2004, 04:39 PM
yup!!! Halletts arent bad. There are just a lot more options that are better, and companies like Shockwave,Ultra and a few others will do it exactly they way you 'the customer' would like your boat, and if there is an issue, they will take care of it. I loved my Hallett 210 and i am pretty sure Steamin liked his too, but when the choice came to get something different, we picked others over the Hallett :yuk:

hotlavey
11-28-2004, 10:46 AM
Lavey gets my vote, as I've owned Eliminators, Halletts, and two Lavey's. I currently own a 2750 Lavey with a Whippled HP500EFI. It is a boat that has to be driven, not just steered. It has a "tab bottom" and the tabs have to be set even with the bottom to stop any chine walk. Trim has to be almost level or a little positive(depending on the load). Once you are familar with the boat, it is fantastic. Quality is top(the 2750 was undefeated in Offshore racing this year(Factory 1) and it placed 2nd out of 15 at the worlds in Key West). After a full season of racing the hull does not have one stress crack anywhere.
I suggest calling Kevin at Lavey(he is the throttle man on the race boat) and talk to him. Lavey people are a pleasure to deal with.
My boat runs in the upper 80's and I've never had an unsafe moment, straight or turns.