PDA

View Full Version : What is a reasonable price for new paint job?

75MillerJet
04-14-2006, 09:05 PM
I have a 1975 19 ft Miller Jet Boat and the paint is really old and faded on it. I tried restoring it but it just aint happening. I just went to a guy today in Ventura, CA and he told me $3500 for a fresh two-tone (white and red). Is it just me or does this price sound outrageous? I could be totally wrong. Does anyone know of any boat painters in the Ventura/LA area? I'm having a helluva time finding people. Thanx guys.

hoolign
04-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Sorry..I thout it said "blowjob" ..carry on..but just in case you decide to edit the thread tiltle.. so far about 780K :D

YeLLowBoaT
04-14-2006, 09:22 PM
That price is in the ball park. It takes ALOT of work to prep and paint a boat.

H20 Toie
04-14-2006, 09:23 PM
With the rules and reg that shops have to follow that does not sound like a bad price. i would check with Abstract fiberglass in reseda he has been painting boats for years and does an awsome job.

75MillerJet
04-14-2006, 09:42 PM
With the rules and reg that shops have to follow that does not sound like a bad price. i would check with Abstract fiberglass in reseda he has been painting boats for years and does an awsome job.
I actually heard about a place in Castaic that is very low priced but thats quite a drive to just get a quote.

RAMROD
04-15-2006, 01:17 AM
3500 isn't bad for the topside and hull, if it is a first rate job. Paint materials are very expensive.

GRUNION
04-15-2006, 05:53 AM
I think thats a great deal. Ask them what type of materials they will be using and then go check the price on them at the paint store i will bet over half that price is in material costs.

H20 Toie
04-15-2006, 05:57 AM
I actually heard about a place in Castaic that is very low priced but thats quite a drive to just get a quote.
Roberto's in Castaic has great prices but with as busy as he is right now you may have problems getting a complete boat painted soon.

LUVNLIFE
04-15-2006, 06:09 AM
$3500 is a really good price. Go get a couple other quotes and see.

LUVNLIFE
04-15-2006, 06:10 AM
Roberto's in Castaic has great prices but with as busy as he is right now you may have problems getting a complete boat painted soon.
Hey Dan where is Roberto's at in Castaic? I've never seen it. Has he done work for you?

superdave013
04-15-2006, 06:48 AM
It's hard to say with out knowing how much prep work is involved. Lets see, a 1975 jet boat. Hummmmmmmm, I bet it will need lots of prep.
With that said 3,500 sounds to cheep. They have to be skimping someplace.
A few painter here on the forums that are also located in So Cal are Billy B and Toddnjuzz. Both are great guys and would be able to tell you what can be done with in your budget.

Tom Brown
04-15-2006, 08:54 AM
I've painted a few boats and a couple of cars. It's kind of fun, once you know what you're doing. I do it at the shop at the lake.
When we pull the boat out of the shop, neighbors always oooh and aaah at how the boat looks. This is then followed shortly afterward with, "How long would it take to paint my boat? I don't want anything fancy... I just want the paint to look a little fresher." .... to which I respond, "About 45 minutes for one color. You're welcome to bring it around once you get the prep work done and I'll spray it for you."
I'd say any 1975 jet boat is going to have a bunch of cracking and blemishes. It's quite a bit of work, although it's not terrible once you know what you're doing.
I would guess there is about $750~1000 worth of paint in an 18' boat between prime and Imron... that is, if you use Imron. Throw in another couple of hundred for fiberglass materials and another hundred, or so, for fill/glaze (anywhere the fiberglass has been opened up/repaired, the entire area needs to be glazed).

76ANTHONY
04-15-2006, 09:01 AM
my 18 ft anthony cost me 7200, it needed alot of prep work and alot of repairs. i also got the through hull exhaust holes covered, so 3500, thats just the begining i think, or hes givin you a really good deal. mine is 4 colors though......

Dan Lorenze
04-15-2006, 09:43 AM
I've known Ed at Abstract for years.. I took my very faded, old, sparkle jet boat to him to have him paint it, instead he repaired all the blems and buffed out the boat, I couldn't believe my eyes when I went to pick it up, it looked better than it ever had. He does great work and his prices are reasonable. He's great with fiberglass and has a nice paint booth.
Abstract fiberglass (818)342-4814 ED...

Washed Ashore
04-15-2006, 02:13 PM
$3500 is cheap,they must be doing a scuff and shoot for that price.My price starts at $7500,thats with the boat stripped(no hardware)for a two tone job.The problem is people dont understand you can get 100 hours in prep alone,our paint jobs are razor staight,if you want to get crazy with colors it can cost double that!!!We had 160 hours in body work on the last paint job we finished,160x85=$13,600 in labor,just for body work.You can look in hot spots west under "new little project "for some of my work.
Jeff

tahitijet
04-15-2006, 02:25 PM
when i painted my boat just for the paint material alone, not counting filler, sand paper, glass materials etc for the repairs and set back and blueprint. just the material to prep and paint was almost 1,100 now take into account that i had over 150 hours of prep (boat was in bad shape) about10 hours of tapeing and masking (3 color simple paint job) a couple hours painting and 40-50 hours in color sanding and buffing. and then add onto that that a shop is going to want a profit 3,500 isn't a bad deal really.

weekendwarrior
04-15-2006, 05:07 PM
Why don't you take it back to the builder to get it painted. Here is the web site www.millercustomboats.com

RAMROD
04-16-2006, 12:47 AM
I've painted a few boats and a couple of cars. It's kind of fun, once you know what you're doing. I do it at the shop at the lake.
When we pull the boat out of the shop, neighbors always oooh and aaah at how the boat looks. This is then followed shortly afterward with, "How long would it take to paint my boat? I don't want anything fancy... I just want the paint to look a little fresher." .... to which I respond, "About 45 minutes for one color. You're welcome to bring it around once you get the prep work done and I'll spray it for you."
I'd say any 1975 jet boat is going to have a bunch of cracking and blemishes. It's quite a bit of work, although it's not terrible once you know what you're doing.
I would guess there is about $750~1000 worth of paint in an 18' boat between prime and Imron... that is, if you use Imron. Throw in another couple of hundred for fiberglass materials and another hundred, or so, for fill/glaze (anywhere the fiberglass has been opened up/repaired, the entire area needs to be glazed).
Is that Canadian money?