PDA

View Full Version : packing gland

fat rat
06-01-2001, 12:23 PM
Anyone have any advise to installing the packing seal on the drive shaft. The pump is a JG, I got the 5 rope seals and was told to alternate them, but nobody can seem to tell me how hard I should tighten it.

spectras only
06-01-2001, 01:05 PM
Fat rat,yes you alternate the ropes 180 degrees,do not overtighten.Fire up the engine ,let it run a few minutes with the water dripping.Slowly tighten the two bolts evenly until it's only drips once every minute.Let the seals break in.The water would lubricate the seals and the shaft as well.I still have the original shaft with hardly any score on it at the packing glands.

fat rat
06-01-2001, 01:55 PM
Spectra, you say let the water drip....should the boat be in the water for this?

spectras only
06-01-2001, 03:29 PM
Fat rat,how would you get water dripping through the gland if the boat wasn't in the water,hehe? Don't feel bad ,some people asked me before,wouldn't the boat sink if you let this water drip.Even if you leave the drainplug out it would take some time to fill up a boat.

fat rat
06-01-2001, 05:45 PM
The gland doesn't leak @ idle now...... so spectra what should I do get the boat up on plane and block the foot pedal with a stick and .....crawl back there and make some adjustments.....I'll give it a try....if don't hear back from me monday you can blame Spectra.

spectras only
06-01-2001, 06:07 PM
Hey Rat,you don't need an autopilot [stick]just idle the engine while you're at the dock and let one drop per minute.I've seen a lot of damaged shafts by overtigthening the glands.If it's too loose than you sucking air trough the packing that's no good either.The Jacuzzi units have a ceramic type sealer that's virtually maintenance free, but not adaptable to berkeley's.It's a good thing that I live a long distance from you,so I don't have to worry about you hitting me on the head if anything goes haywire ,hehe.We have some good weather finally,unfortunately I have two berkeleys to work on the weekend,so my boating is shot till next week.Have a good boating!