View Full Version : mr 460 i need advice

jimmmyb
06-18-2001, 06:26 PM
mr 460 i just got a 78 sanger hydro (jet),
let me start by saying i am not a mechanic,
i do know a little about motors.the hydro i
have has a 460 with tunnel ram basic stock
motor, pump has had work done two it blueprint,
b4 i got boat prev owner had a built motor in it untill he granaded it. with the the stock 460 the boat will do approx 60 mph
i want to put a blower or nitros on it,
can i put a blower on it with out doing anything to bottom end? iam looking for just
alittle more speed but mostly just for show & sound u no babe magnet. owner told me might be hard to locate blower manifold for 460 ford. if it can be done do have may be a ball park figure on how much monies will be leaving my wallet. thanks mr.460 4 the help.

turbo
06-18-2001, 06:42 PM
hamptonblowers.com has your manifold, I just checked 800.00 bucks.

Bubbledeck
06-18-2001, 08:19 PM
buying a blower to put on your boat as a "babe magnet" is kind of expensive. I think I'd opt for a potato in my swim trunks at about .49 a lb. 75 cents would probably buy you all you need. Just remember it goes in front LOL

rstover1
06-19-2001, 05:12 PM
jimmy you should talk to slowboat001 he is racing a hydro jet he could give you advice on putting alot of hp in a jet hydro

Rivertoys_com
06-19-2001, 08:48 PM
A show blower can be done w/o any other engine work if you remove the turbines from the inside of the blower housing. Still run the pulley and belt of course, just use it in place of your tunnel-ram. Then pick up a gear drive for the cam, Edlebrock has cut their 460 gear drives for 'more noise'. The gear drive runs about $250.
I may put a gear drive on my 460 next winter, I want to change the cam timing anyway and gear drives sound cool!
Jason.

mister460
06-20-2001, 10:46 AM
It's really easy to manufacture a blower manifold using the bottom of a tunnel ram. Any decent machine shop can do it. Just make an adapter plate out of half inch aluminum. I use to make them for odd ball blower setups like Toyotas and Chryslers. The tunnel ram underneath the blower actually provides better flow. It's just really tall. I can send you some drawings on what I'm talking about. It's alot cheaper than an $800 manifold and it looks pretty trick. You can run mild boost(0-4lbs) on a stock short block. Any more than that and you NEED forged pistons(NO higher than 8.5-1 comp), high eccentricity bearings, really good rods, and at least studded mains if not 4-bolt. Copper or O-ringed head gaskets are a must. If you just want show and a little more go, have an adapter made (the exact same profile as the bottom of the blower so it looks better) bolt a polished blower on to your existing tunnel ram bottom and run it underdriven at about 2-3 lbs boost. *NOTE*DON'T RUN ANY BOOST IF YOUR COMP RATIO IS HIGHR THAN 9.5-1!! You won't like the expensive sound it will make. Also, run very high octane gas and make sure your timing isn't too far advanced(final timing, not timing @idle). If you want any more info, feel free to ask.

jroos
06-24-2001, 02:35 PM
Bubledeck for Pres. That was the way coolest thing I have ever heard. Still laughin`. Hope you don`t mind but I used it on a friend. The joke not potato. Oh yeah, hahahahahahaah just remember, it goes in front. That was cool.

Squirtcha?
06-29-2001, 09:00 PM
Agreed. It's not often that I'll laugh out loud sitting in a room by myself, but that one got me. I've always felt kinda stupid the few times it's happened.
Thanks Bubbledeck.
Squirtcha?

johnnie jetboat
06-30-2001, 01:34 PM
I'm with squirtcha, that bubbledeck is a crack up. I should have considered the potato before popping for my BDS(see topic 'bbc and rpm').

flat broke
06-30-2001, 07:04 PM
First off, bubbledeck gets some major points on the one-liner rating system.
As for the pseudo blower, Girls may not know one shiny thing from another (tunnel ram from a blower), but they are quick to realize that your boat is getting smoked by someone elses. They also HATE sitting around watching you wrench on your ride in the water cause it just took a crap on you.
All that being said, if you don't have the money to go for the blower the right way. Stick to your tunnel ram setup, keep it reliable, and pick your fights carefully. That will should get you almost the same results with the ladies as the potato.
Chris