PDA

View Full Version : how many of you

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:02 AM
deep fry your turkeys for thanksgiving?
I have never done it and I have heard alot about them being really good.. :D

rvrtoy
11-13-2004, 11:04 AM
I have never done it personally however, when done correctly there is no better cooked turkey. Crispy shin and the juiciest bird I have ever eaten. :eat:

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:05 AM
well with your discription you are making me hungry. :D

rvrtoy
11-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Me TOO!!!!Only a couple weeks left but I want it now!! :cry:

slink
11-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Did it last year..........the best turkey ever, the whole family raved about it. And it was really easy. Done in about 1.5 hrs and freed up the oven for other dishes to be cooked.

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:09 AM
thanks guys.. now where can I get one of those deep fryers? :wink:

rvrtoy
11-13-2004, 11:10 AM
I'V SEEN IT DONE,BE VERY CAREFULL!when puting in the bird and go slow ,make sure you don't have to much oil in your pot if it over flows it will start on fire(the pot) and keep your oil at the right temp by taking the bird out of the oil and let it come back to temp,good luck,i want to do one at the lake some time this coming summer. were going to try a PIG IN THE GROUND on one of our powell trips :D
Sounds like fun. We will be waiting for our invitation!! :wink:

rvrtoy
11-13-2004, 11:11 AM
thanks guys.. now where can I get one of those deep fryers? :wink:
Costco

MRS FLYIN VEE
Sounds like fun. We will be waiting for our invitation!! :wink:
LOL!! beat me to it. :D :coffeycup

MRS FLYIN VEE
Costco
are they like 100.00 or so.. :wink:

charlyox
11-13-2004, 11:13 AM
I saw them at SAMS club the other day.I think it was $70.00.you can also get the oil while you are there. I've heard peanut oil is good to use.

rvrtoy
11-13-2004, 11:13 AM
are they like 100.00 or so.. :wink:
My father in law bought one last year. I beleive it was around 125 or so including the peanut oil.

slink
11-13-2004, 11:14 AM
When you buy the kit, it gives you easy instructions and mine also came with a 10 minute video. Here is the trick to knowing how much oil to put in the pot. Put water in the pot first to about 1/2 way, then dip your bird in and see how much the water comes up. It should be just to the top of the bird.if it doesnt reach then put more water in. Make sure you mark the spot. Only donwfall is that you cant stuff it :(

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:14 AM
Very cool thank you.. :wink:

repo man
11-13-2004, 11:15 AM
walmart has them. the secret is to put the bird in the pot then fill it with water until the bird is submerged about an inch,then take the bird out,mark the level of the water. then only put that mutch oil in the pot and you'll be o.k

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:15 AM
When you buy the kit, it gives you easy instructions and mine also came with a 10 minute video. Here is the trick to knowing how much oil to put in the pot. Put water in the pot first to about 1/2 way, then dip your bird in and see how much the water comes up. It should be just to the top of the bird.if it doesnt reach then put more water in. Make sure you mark the spot. Only donwfall is that you cant stuff it :(
wow that sounds eay enough.. But I like my bird stuffed.. LOL!! J/K thank you for the info.. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:16 AM
walmart has them. the secret is to put the bird in the pot then fill it with water until the bird is submerged about an inch,then take the bird out,mark the level of the water. then only put that mutch oil in the pot and you'll be o.k
I was affraid of a fire.. I hate using iol because of the grease fires.. :jawdrop:

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:18 AM
sorry for so many questions but do they come in different sizes or are they pretty much all the same.. I need to feed about 20 people and I think I may need two pots.. ;) :idea:

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:19 AM
www.campchef.com :D ?i think thats the place i have the 2 burner and 1 burner and the big pots
thank you.. I will check it out.. ;) and I can't hit ya back till I spread around. :supp: :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:20 AM
i can be their in 7 hours to STUFF YOUR BIRD!or what ever were calling it these dsys :D
LMAO!! so is that the offer for dinner.. LOL!! ;) :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:25 AM
:D you can use my cooker if ya want to come and get it? :D
I'll be there is 5 hrs.. LOL!! :D

h2-go
11-13-2004, 11:49 AM
It is the best way to cook a bird. Like everybody is saying be very carful and go slow going in. Make sure the bird is dry (no water) or it will spit hot oil out when you put it in. Dont do this in the garadge to many horror stories of oil running down the wall of foundation = house on fire plus what we all love -our boats. :( Unless you are allergic to peanut products peanut oil is the best because of the high flash point properties. To measure oil put bird in cooker while it is still in plastic and add water untill bird is just coverd next put mark inside so you know how much oil to add when you get to the real deal. have fun ---- just keep the little ones doing somthing else while you cook. Note: Any thing over about 14-16 lbs is hard to cook all the way through.
!!!!!!! HAPPY TURKY DAY :smile: :smile: :smile: !!!!!!!!

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:51 AM
It is the best way to cook a bird. Like everybody is saying be very carful and go slow going in. Make sure the bird is dry (no water) or it will spit hot oil out when you put it in. Dont do this in the garadge to many horror stories of oil running down the wall of foundation = house on fire plus what we all love -our boats. :( Unless you are allergic to peanut products peanut oil is the best because of the high flash point properties. To measure oil put bird in cooker while it is still in plastic and add water untill bird is just coverd next put mark inside so you know how much oil to add when you get to the real deal. have fun ---- just keep the little ones doing somthing else while you cook. Note: Any thing over about 14-16 lbs is hard to cook all the way through.
!!!!!!! HAPPY TURKY DAY :smile: :smile: :smile: !!!!!!!!
thank you very much.. I didn't think about the water in the bird. I will remember that.maybe I ban messure it the day before then know how much the next day to put in it. :)

h2-go
11-13-2004, 11:56 AM
Mrs Vee: Make sure you mark the pot after you remove the bird form the water ----- I forgot that important step :argue: See Ya!! Duoprop

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 11:57 AM
Mrs Vee: Make sure you mark the pot after you remove the bird form the water ----- I forgot that important step :argue: See Ya!! Duoprop
thank you again. :D

Tom Brown
11-13-2004, 12:02 PM
I just want to add my own positive comments about deep frying poultry. The meat seems to cook more evenly than in the oven where either the dark meat is undercooked or the breasts become dry.
It does leave the skin kind of weird, though. I didn't like DF skin when I first tried it but now I like it quite well. The rest of the bird tastes about the same as if you were to oven roast it, IMO.
:cool:

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 12:03 PM
thank you. :D

NorCal Gameshow
11-13-2004, 12:07 PM
the oil can be reused, not sure how many times, or how long you can keep it......it's pricey if ya' only use it once

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 12:08 PM
the oil can be reused, not sure how many times, or how long you can keep it......it's pricey if ya' only use it once
well I will probably have to cook two turkeys.. what else can you put in it besides a turkey?

clownpuncher
11-13-2004, 12:15 PM
Awsome way to cook a bird. A few rules though.................
1 - Do it outside. Trust me. I've got a "fireman almost burns his house down" story to back it up. Not me, but, a friend of mine in San Diego.
2 - Bet a BC fire extinguisher and keep it nearby, away from the fryer.
3 - Unless you want to clean the underside of your patio cover, I'd put the fryer in an open area with no overhead. Oil vapors can and will rise and stick.
4 - The day before, inject the bird with a good marinade. Inject throughout. After injecting, massage the bird with a good dry rub. Cajon injection and rub are real tasty. If you need help let me know and I'll send you some ideas. I never do bigger than a 14-15 pounder. That's always enough to feed 8 firemen and their families at the station. 'Course we have ham too.
5 - Put the bird in an empty fryer. Fill with water until the bird is covered by one inch. Pull the turkey out and mark the water line. Permanent marker works well. This is now you oil fill line. Use peanut oil. It's kinda pricey, but, you can equate the cost of the oil to running your beautiful DCB for about an hour or so. Puts it in perspective, dontcha think?
6 - Small children, animals and drunks should stay away from the fryer. Always. That'll elimintate lots of us I'm sure :D
7 - Get a good, long thermometer. Heat the oil to 350 degrees. Slowly lower the bird into the hot oil. Store bought fryers come with a lowering rod. I'm pretty sure you can get away with 3 minutes per pound cooking time. Periodically check the oil temp. After you put the bird in the temp will drop, but, should rise back up within a few minutes.
8 - Before taking the bird out, turn the burner off. I wear long sleeve cotton shirts, jeans and gloves when doing this. Nothing synthetic. Synthetic melts to skin when heated. If you happen to drop it back into the hot oil you'll have nice turkey day burns on your hands and arms and legs. Please be careful when removing it from the oil.
9 - Like all meats, let the bird rest for about ten minutes before carving.
10 - Enjoy.
Roland

Tom Brown
11-13-2004, 12:18 PM
I'm pretty sure you can get away with 20 minutes per pound cooking time.
:2purples:
We cook them for about 3 minutes per pound and they come out fine. :confused:

NorCal Gameshow
11-13-2004, 12:23 PM
well I will probably have to cook two turkeys.. what else can you put in it besides a turkey?
anything ya' want to fry,
french fries,onion rings, battered fish etc.

clownpuncher
11-13-2004, 12:23 PM
:2purples:
We cook them for about 3 minutes per pound and they come out fine. :confused:
Holy crap you're right. Sorry mrsv, wrong time, wrong recipe. Guess I'm thinking too fast. Venti Amricano with two xtra shots this AM.
It is 3 minutes per pound. Internal temp of the meat should be 170-180 degrees.
Thanks Tom. I'm gonna change my original post

Sleek-Jet
11-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Awsome way to cook a bird. A few rules though.................
1 - Do it outside. Trust me. I've got a "fireman almost burns his house down" story to back it up. Not me, but, a friend of mine in San Diego.
Sure ROC we believe you, I want to hear this story... :rollside:

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 12:25 PM
Holy crap you're right. Sorry mrsv, wrong time, wrong recipe. Guess I'm thinking too fast. Venti Amricano with two xtra shots this AM.
It is 3 minutes per pound. Internal temp of the meat should be 170-180 degrees.
Thanks Tom. I'm gonna change my original post
no worries sweetie.. thank you for the info. :D

Sleek-Jet
11-13-2004, 12:26 PM
You can also use it to boil corn on the cob and I have a handy skillet/wok thingy made out of farm implaments. :cool:

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 12:27 PM
You can also use it to boil corn on the cob and I have a handy skillet/wok thingy made out of farm implaments. :cool:
farm implaments? you lost me.. LOL!! :D

clownpuncher
11-13-2004, 12:27 PM
Sure ROC we believe you, I want to hear this story... :rollside:
LOL. I swear..."I have this friend................"

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 12:28 PM
of a friend of a friends dad's friends nephew's uncle.. LOL!!

HCS
11-13-2004, 12:29 PM
Put your whole dinner on a plate and deep fry it. Yummy!

clownpuncher
11-13-2004, 12:30 PM
of a friend of a friends dad's friends nephew's uncle.. LOL!!
Ahhh, so you HAVE heard the story :shift:

Sleek-Jet
farm implaments? you lost me.. LOL!! :D
You can take an individual disk (the one I've got is about 2 feet in diameter), weld up where the hub goes, then lay it across the burner stand. You can get about 3 or 4 pounds of potato's on it. Works pretty slick.

MRS FLYIN VEE
Ahhh, so you HAVE heard the story :shift:
LOL!! :D

NorCal Gameshow
11-13-2004, 12:31 PM
has anyone tried to fry corn on the cob?

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 12:33 PM
would you get popcorn.. LOL!! :smile: :D

Tom Brown
11-13-2004, 12:33 PM
Our cooker came with a colander type deal for lowering stuff in and out of the pot, as well as the poultry hook.
I've had deep fried steak. It wouldn't be my choice of cooking technique. The peanut oil seems to give the meat an odd flavor. It might be an acquired taste but it's not a taste I'm interested in acquiring.
Lots of stuff tastes good deep fried, if your arteries can take it. :D
They are also a great pot for boiling large items in, such as corn, as Sleek Jet indicated.

Tom Brown
11-13-2004, 12:35 PM
has anyone tried to fry corn on the cob?
Yes. It's OK as long as you leave the husk in place. I prefer water boiled but the taste is only subtly different.
:cool:

NorCal Gameshow
11-13-2004, 12:41 PM
Our cooker came with a colander type deal for lowering stuff in and out of the pot, as well as the poultry hook.
I've had deep fried steak. It wouldn't be my choice of cooking technique. The peanut oil seems to give the meat an odd flavor. It might be an acquired taste but it's not a taste I'm interested in acquiring.
:D :D :D
why would anyone want to acquire a taste(with food) :D ...if it tastes nasty now...how's it gonna get better :confused: :D

clownpuncher
11-13-2004, 12:46 PM
:D :D :D
why would anyone want to acquire a taste(with food) :D ...if it tastes nasty now...how's it gonna get better :confused: :D
Many years ago when I was a cook, I HATED artichokes. You couldn't pay me to eat one.
Then, there was this hot waitress that loved em. She was on a break eating one of my artichokes and begged me to try it again. Sure enough, it tasted good. Now I love em. Not sure if it had anything to do with the size of her um, you know.

NorCal Gameshow
11-13-2004, 12:52 PM
Many years ago when I was a cook, I HATED artichokes. You couldn't pay me to eat one.
Then, there was this hot waitress that loved em. She was on a break eating one of my artichokes and begged me to try it again. Sure enough, it tasted good. Now I love em. Not sure if it had anything to do with the size of her um, you know.
:D under those circumstances i would've done the same thing :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 12:53 PM
is it true artichokes are a stimulant for the male's member? :p

clownpuncher
11-13-2004, 12:56 PM
is it true artichokes are a stimulant for the male's member? :p
I know it was that night. She was a much older and a very sophisticated woman for me. And she was HOT. I think she was 22 at the time LOL. The old days.

h2-go
11-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Sorry Guy's my spelling sucked on my post. Long week-Can see out of two eyes now And got a shower. But my head is broken i think. :hammerhea

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 12:59 PM
I know it was that night. She was a much older and a very sophisticated woman for me. And she was HOT. I think she was 22 at the time LOL. The old days.
LOL!! I don't blame you one bit.. but I think it's true.. they are kind of like oysters.. :D

Sleek-Jet
11-13-2004, 01:05 PM
If anyone ever gets to Albuquerque, there is a restaurant called the "Artichoke Grill". They have the best sauces for artichokes...

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 01:06 PM
JUST STEAMTHEM,and pull of the leaves salt/pepper dip in ranch and munch :D ,
we boil ours in Italian Dressing.. mmmm mmmmm goooood. :)

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 01:17 PM
i need to try this "TODAY" :D
they are very good.. :D

Jbb
11-13-2004, 01:32 PM
Lots of stuff tastes good deep fried, if your arteries can take it. :D
They are also a great pot for boiling large items in, such as corn, as Sleek Jet indicated.
Also good for making shrunken heads.....Or as a mash cooker for a still....hic! :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-13-2004, 01:35 PM
I'M also trying a new drink today CAPT MORGAN & A-W ROOTBEER YUMMMMMMMMM :)
wow that sounds good too. :D

ratso
11-13-2004, 02:09 PM
I'M also trying a new drink today CAPT MORGAN & A-W ROOTBEER YUMMMMMMMMM :)
How about a Captain Morgan and Root Beer Float...

MsDrmr
11-13-2004, 04:40 PM
we do ours on the bbq. seasond and stuffed My favoriate way,,I have tasted it the other way, just did not care for it

Scream
11-13-2004, 05:59 PM
My father in law bought one last year. I beleive it was around 125 or so including the peanut oil.
Peanut oil is about $5.00 a gallon. It ain't cheap, but it is the best for the turkeys.
There are several "neveau" ways to cook turkeys, thanks for asking.
Brining, or soaking your bird in a salt brine bath for several hours is very popular. A few cups of salt and some herbs to a gallon or two of water soaked in the refer yeilds a moist and tender turkey.
Boneless whole turkey. If you're tired of the bones, order your turkey from your butcher or meat counter without the bones. Just slice that biotch when it's done and you're good to go, no fuss, no muss...
TurDuckEn (registered trademark) we call our weird science of poultry a Trilogy. A Whole Boneless Chicken stuffed inside a Whole Boneless Duckling, inside a Whole Boneless Turkey. I've never tried this but those that have think they're great.
Breast side down cooking. Let gravity baste your bird while it cooks. Looks weird but who cares.
Just some alternatives. Deep frying is a good idea, but most fryers only alow a 13 lb limit and thats not enough to enjoy seconds or leftovers for that matter. As for fryer safety, put the bird in the fryer and fill to the appropriate level with water. take the bird out and see where the oil level should be, this is the safest and easiest way to ensure you don't burn the house down when frying up the thanksgiving turkey.
Be safe
Scream