PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick my next boat.

AMC-Nut
11-14-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey All,
I am in the process of trying to find my next boat. I live Tempe, AZ and do most of my boating at Parker, Powell, Bartlett, Apache, Pleasant and Roosevelt. I am looking for a good lake boat that is under 22' long and has a huge gas tank so I can do some exploring at powell before it goes dry. My buddy has an Eagle Sabre:
http://www.eagleracing.ca/RModels/sbr.8.jpg
and it's great! So I was thinking about one of these but thought I would ask you all for your opinion before I sell my soul to the bank. I usually have about 6 people with me and do a lot of wakeboarding, slalom skiing, and all out going fast which the Sabre does great with the 572 BBC. I am upgrading from '77 CVX-20 which is great boat but usually leaves someone on shore and only has a 27 gallon gas tank. Any ideas would be appreciated. I really like jets or V-drives but would consider anything.
Thanks,
Ryan

switchin'addiction
11-14-2004, 02:58 PM
talk to KILRTOY he has one for sale
That's what I was going to suggest. A lot of great boats for sale right here in this forum.

hoolign
11-14-2004, 03:02 PM
are you planning on some river boating?..

AMC-Nut
11-14-2004, 03:05 PM
Parker is the only river that I run. I just like the Sabre since it's got a 70 gallon tank and hauls butt! The thing can take some major abuse and rides smooth to boot.

Tom Brown
11-14-2004, 03:06 PM
Jungle Boy is a big Eagle nut. As I recally, he has two of them. You could talk to him but he'll probably tell you the same thing as your buddy... that Eagle build a great boat.
Good luck with it. By the way, if it were me, I'd keep the CVX. :cool:
:D

AMC-Nut
11-14-2004, 03:10 PM
The CVX was my first boat, I picked it up this summer and drove the heck out of it. It needs some work and the hull is really faded, that's one of the reasons I am thinkging of going to aluminium, no fiberglass to keep to cleaned and waxed. Check it out if you want, price is negotiable.
http://members.cox.net/ryan.bailey/

NashvilleBound
11-14-2004, 03:13 PM
That's what I was going to suggest. A lot of great boats for sale right here in this forum.
Exactly!!!!!! http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?76723207 for just one example. :cool:

Mrs. casean
11-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Exactly!!!!!! http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?76723207 for just one example. :cool:
You're sellin yours too? I wish I could buy it, ours is for sale too... HINT HINT :D Not as new obviously, but lots of fun... good luck! What are you gonna buy next?

AMC-Nut
11-14-2004, 03:17 PM
That Ultra is a little long for me, I don't really want to go over the 22-23' mark but I do really like the 21 deck that they have but haven't actually been in one yet. They have a couple of them on the website for sale, the other problem I see with the ultra is that it doesn't seem to be a great all around boat...but I could be wrong.
Thanks,
Ryan

Mrs. casean
11-14-2004, 03:20 PM
That Ultra is a little long for me, I don't really want to go over the 22-23' mark but I do really like the 21 deck that they have but haven't actually been in one yet. They have a couple of them on the website for sale, the other problem I see with the ultra is that it doesn't seem to be a great all around boat...but I could be wrong.
Thanks,
Ryan
They do look great! I have heard great things about the deck too... except that the 2 people I know who bought one wishes they didnt listen to the sales guy and got the bigger engine... other than that, they love it!

NashvilleBound
11-14-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks,
Ryan
Always buy bigger and the MOST power you can afford! Hmmm..that would be my boat:) I can deliver it right to your door! Shoot, I'll even get a big old bow for it....you will be hard pressed to find a better deal!

NashvilleBound
11-14-2004, 03:33 PM
You're sellin yours too? I wish I could buy it, ours is for sale too... HINT HINT :D Not as new obviously, but lots of fun... good luck! What are you gonna buy next? Depends on what the other half..uh, acutally the other 49% will let me...:) The new 30 Magic...they are pretty proud( I"M NOT TRYING TO SLAM ANYONE HERE) so is E Ticket..tho they both make incredible boats. Not exactly sure..there are 4 that I, uh, we, are considering. And you??

Sleek-Jet
11-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Thanks,
Ryan
What do you mean by "all around"?? Do you want to cruise, ski, tube, wake board, fish, snorkel, float, camp... all of the above???

Mrs. casean
11-14-2004, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=NashvilleBound]Depends on what the other half..uh, acutally the other 49% will let me...:) The new 30 Magic...they are pretty proud( I"M NOT TRYING TO SLAM ANYONE HERE) so is E Ticket..tho they both make incredible boats. Not exactly sure..there are 4 that I, uh, we, are considering. And you??
Good luck w/ the other 40% :D
We want to look at the shockwaves and Ultras... those are our 2 picks... we'll stick w/ the smaller jet boat still... would like a 22 ft jet. But we will see what we can do when the time comes.

Tom Brown
11-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Ryan,
Did you see Kilroybay's CVX-20 jet project?
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/uploads/post-12-1099543505.jpg
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/uploads/post-12-1099543534.jpg
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/uploads/post-12-1099543549.jpg
http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/uploads/post-12-1099543762.jpg
Here's a link to the entire project :cool: (http://www.carlsonspeed.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=12&t=166&st=0#entry738)

AMC-Nut
11-14-2004, 03:41 PM
Pretty much all of the above! I have my own business that takes up all my time during the week so I generally goto the lake all weekend, every weekend so an all purpose boat is an must. Wakeboarding, slalom skiing, camping, exploring and camping is what I have in mind. I also like to fast when the boat isn't all loaded down so a big block is a must.
What are the drawbacks of an all aluminium boat, any? Does it get really hot in the AZ sun? The boat will probably get a tower or a sky pole but I am not totally sure I want to screw with the lines of nice boat by adding a tower. The gas tank deal is important, I can't live with 27 gallons any more. On average I am at the marina two or three times a weekend which really limits you on cruising range. That's why I am leaning toward the Eagle or maybe even and advantage.

Sleek-Jet
11-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Jets are notoriuos for bad fuel economy. Anything with an outdrive will increase you're cruising range. If you are going to order a new boat, I would think that most of the custom boat manufacturers will work with you on things like fuel tank size.
Aluminum boats don't get any hotter in the sun than fiberglass, just don't paint it a dark color. :D Aluminum will hold up better in regards to the elements than fiberglass, but you can dent it, where as fiberglass doesn't have a "memory".
When looking at boat lengths, remember that alot of new boats have "swim step" envy, the manufacturers will add about 2' to the overall length of the boat due to the molded swim steps. So a 23' with a 2' swim step would have as much room in it as a 21' boat.

Tom Brown
11-14-2004, 03:52 PM
... fiberglass doesn't have a "memory".
Our family had an aluminum Starcraft Holiday for about 25 years. We beat on it about as much as I could imagine without deliberately driving it into rock piles. It was even flipped off the trailer once.
When we sold the boat, it was not dented. The paint was faded and scratched pretty good but I have no doubt the people who own it now will get another 25 years out of it.
Aluminum is a fabulous material for boat construction. :cool:

AMC-Nut
11-14-2004, 04:00 PM
I have seen the posts on the Carlson site several times, there is also a really nice beige colored CVX that a stereo guy rebuilt on that site that pops up from time to time. My CVX isn't as rough as that guys was originally and is still pretty much functional but is just getting a little long in the tooth. The real reason for getting rid of the CVX is that it doesn't have that much of a V-hull and rides really rough and doesn't have the fuel capacity that I want.
I know jets are bad on fuel economy, although they are getting better, but they are great at most everything else and and you never have to worry about cutting up some idiot with the prop, much less dinging it in the shallows. I am a pretty good welder and figure that I should be able to fix any big dents in the aluminium hull so that is a plus for me.
I would consider an V-Drive or Direct Drive though. I have some my buddies working on their alpha's and it doesn't look any fun.

Debbolas
11-14-2004, 04:02 PM
IMO :D
Kachina is an awesome boat company. Small personalized service and no one will EVER "splash" your boat. Great graphics and in our price range.
Here is their web site...http://www.kachinaboats.com/
My favorite pic of my boat.....
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/1566boat_almost_in_water-med.jpg

Sleek-Jet
11-14-2004, 04:04 PM
We had some friend that went to lake Powell with our family when I was a youngin'. They had a Starcraft as well and it, um... showed the signs of being on a "rocky" lake all the time. Nothing major, but you could tell it was around rocks. So did our fiberglass boat for that matter, it was just scratched up instead of little dings on the side and bottom.

Debbolas
11-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Thats right about jet boats, they use a TON of gas, and that might prohibit you from exploring the entire lake...... :idea:

AMC-Nut
11-14-2004, 04:14 PM
With 70 gallons I think I would be ok, for some reason I have this thing in my head against outdrives. I know it's dumb, I guess it's because I haven't had one yet. I have gotten really good at docking the jet and wouldn't want to waste all the good skills I have picked up, LOL.

AMC-Nut
11-14-2004, 08:06 PM
Any more commets? Will this make a decent LAKE boat too?

Squirtin Thunder
11-14-2004, 10:06 PM
A nice restored Sanger Custom Sprint Jet
Jim

HOOTER SLED-
11-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Thats right about jet boats, they use a TON of gas, and that might prohibit you from exploring the entire lake...... :idea:
Unless you like dinging props, an I/O may do the same. :) Sorry Deb, had to stick up for the jetdrives. :D
MOst lakes you go to have fuel docks anyways. I can go anywhere in my jet and not really worry about running out of gas. Laughlin to Havasu. Fuel stops along the river. Parker, same way. Mojave to Hoover Dam, same thing. Most boats w/ jets, too small for ocean, so don't have to worry about that. :D

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey Tom Brown,
Just thought I would let you know that the CVX-20 that you posted was not gel but is urathane instead. Just an FYI. I would have posted it on the Carlson site but I don't can't remember my login. I talked to Ken and he said that it would cost about $5-6K to paint mine in a similar fashion. The CVX-20 in the pictures had and needed a lot of extra custom work done to it.
Thanks,
AMC-Nut

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 03:39 PM
Tom,
I forget to mention that you never said that it was Gel, someone else did on the Carlson site.

throwerb
11-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Any more commets? Will this make a decent LAKE boat too?
If I had the cash I would be all over NashvilleBounds boat, best deal I've seen by far. As far as size it's alot better to have a couple more feet than be cramped. Imo

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 04:28 PM
I did a search for NashvilleBounds Boats and found nothing ,what are they??
Thanks,
AMC-Nut

Sleek-Jet
11-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Nashvillebound is a member here. He has a 25' Ultra for sale. :smile:

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 04:36 PM
Where can I find picts/specs on it? I looked all over the board for them and couldn't actually find them, instead I found several posts about them, thier house and thier New Year's Eve party.
Thanks,
Ryan

Sleek-Jet
11-15-2004, 04:38 PM
http://www.boattraderonline.com/addetail.html?76723207
This is his ad in Boattrader.

NashvilleBound
11-15-2004, 04:57 PM
Where can I find picts/specs on it? I looked all over the board for them and couldn't actually find them, instead I found several posts about them, thier house and thier New Year's Eve party.
Thanks,
Ryan
Are those pictures of our New Years Eve Party still up somewhere?? :rollside: What was that?? 200 people...damn that was aparty.... Ryan, if your interested let me know...if you need a loan, have that covered too. Good luck with your search. Jeff 615-714-8100

canuck1
11-15-2004, 06:28 PM
I agree with your first choice. The sabre is a great ride, a good friend picked one up this year with a sbc in it. its a solid 60mph ride that does everything well and isn't hard on fuel at all. I'm a true alum hull believer and after owning glass hull for 17 years I would never go back. As for dents. most will pound out with a hammer but you really have to crash it hard to put a dent in it in the first place

Squirtin Thunder
11-15-2004, 06:55 PM
OK fine !!!! :shift:

Debbolas
11-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Unless you like dinging props, an I/O may do the same. :) Sorry Deb, had to stick up for the jetdrives. :D
MOst lakes you go to have fuel docks anyways. I can go anywhere in my jet and not really worry about running out of gas. Laughlin to Havasu. Fuel stops along the river. Parker, same way. Mojave to Hoover Dam, same thing. Most boats w/ jets, too small for ocean, so don't have to worry about that. :D
LOL, :D
the only reason I posted this is one of our friends that has a jet boat, wouldn't go explore the lake because of the cost of gas......so I thought all jet boats guzzled gas.
And............you can't cut your foot on a jet boat :cool: