PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Jet Boat For Sale (To Good to be True?)

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Hey All,
I thought I would ask you guys about this. Here's the deal, I have been following a boat on Ebay for some time and have the chance to buy it now since the highest bidder backed out. Here the old listings off eBay:
The First Time (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2492879972&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)
Second Time (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2497421127&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT)
and it was actually listed once prior to this but I lost the link.
I did some research and the engine has been replaced once supposedly due to a valve lock coming loose and going through the motor. The guy who owns the boat owns a dodge dealership in Iowa. I am going on a trip to IL and thought I would check it out, he will sell the boat for about $25,000. What do you all think?
Thanks,
Ryan

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Here is a picture of the boat in question:
http://i12.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/93/a0/42_3.JPG
Let me know, this guy will even arrange financing on the boat for me.

THOR
11-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Sounds a little iffy to me. First add said 550 HP second says 450 HP. The jet will be much slower than the I/O version I imagine. I have the 247 with 425 HP and it runs great.

Rev. Williams
11-15-2004, 05:04 PM
Ditch the Roll Bar in Iowa and it looks pretty good.... :D

AMC-Nut
Ya, that's what I thought too. I talked to the guy and he thinks that a place diverter adds horsepower....He doesn't know much about boats or at least he claims that to be the case.

HOOTER SLED-
It's probably truly a 21', with 1' of swim step anyways.

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Thor,
Regardless of the jet set up what do think this boat should go for or does the jet hurt the resale that bad?

THOR
11-15-2004, 05:07 PM
That add is bull$hit. That boat is the 247 with a molded swimstep. So it really is a 23'er. Too big for a jet IMHO. Plus, the guy sounds totally shady.

clownpuncher
11-15-2004, 05:08 PM
I'm far from an expert, but, I'd say that the 247 with stock power and jet is a little large for ultimate perforamance. I also don't know where you're located, but, if you're in CA there's LOT's of boats for sale. Good ones too. Why go all the way across country for something that may not suit you? I'm sure John West will be happy to guide you on the right direction. Good luck

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 05:11 PM
That's my point, would this be a "deal" for only $25K? Like I said before does the jet kill this boat that bad or what? I have about $15K in cash and would finance the rest and want the cheapest payment possible but want a quality boat that I can keep for awhile. Do you guys think this boat is a deal or what?

BarryMac
I'm far from an expert, but, I'd say that the 247 with stock power and jet is a little large for ultimate perforamance.
Agree 100%, a jet boat that big is going to be a slug at best.

THOR
Hey...I agree with Thor :) Not like he is asking $80K though....lol
LMMFAO Tom.

HOOTER SLED-
11-15-2004, 05:18 PM
That's my point, would this be a "deal" for only $25K? Like I said before does the jet kill this boat that bad or what? I have about $15K in cash and would finance the rest and want the cheapest payment possible but want a quality boat that I can keep for awhile. Do you guys think this boat is a deal or what?
I'd say for 25K, there are probably alot more boats out there that offer alot. That's a pretty good price range. I'd say 95-98ish 21 footer in that range. I/O or Jet.

HOOTER SLED-
11-15-2004, 05:19 PM
Check out Kilrtoy's ride. I believe he wants 30k though, I may be wrong.

Dribble
11-15-2004, 05:20 PM
I think that's too much boat for a jet drive.

throwerb
11-15-2004, 05:22 PM
I have to agree with what everyone else is saying. I saw this boat on ebay and like you thought is this a good deal? When I started comparing apples to apples I knew this boat wouldn't perform well enough for me with a jet. So I am waiting until I can afford to buy one that has the right stuff.

HOOTER SLED-
11-15-2004, 05:22 PM
AMC, check out Kilrtoys thread, "For Sale". I bumped it up.

Essex29
11-15-2004, 05:26 PM
If it is the same boat and I think it is. ....I actually almost bought that boat last year....Until I spoke to Ultra and they talked me out of it. He ordered it as a jet and they built it w/out the steps.
He put a 540 in it and ended up blowing the motor not long after so they said it had been sitting for a while, the guy at the dealership told me the owner "doesn't really need the money".
I would think that it would be really sluggish with a 454 in it.
Hope this helps you.

thom
11-15-2004, 05:27 PM
call ultra and ask them what they think.. is it under powerd?? They sould know they built it.. chances are they might even remember that one.. its not like there are alot of 247 jet boats

jbtrailerjim
11-15-2004, 05:32 PM
That's the same model boat as mine. Nice lookin boat but that thing would have to be a turd with that jet hanging off the back of it. Too big of a boat for a jet. If you really are set on a jet, I would not go any bigger than a 21ft.

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 05:33 PM
Supposedly the boat was originally built for a really rich guy who sold it with the blown motor on ebay a year or two ago. The current owner picked it up "cheap" and also doesn't need the money as he owns a Dodge dealership and is doing very well. The boat has been used on the Mississippi four times according to the current owner and he no longer uses it at all. In all reality I think I can actually walk away this boat for about $20K. My current boat guy says "buy the damn thing and if it don't work we will put an 572/bravo in it and call it good". I was just curious if anyone else knows about the boat. I have called Ultra and they don't want to talk about it, go figure....

Essex29
11-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Supposedly the boat was originally built for a really rich guy who sold it with the blown motor on ebay a year or two ago. The current owner picked it up "cheap" and also doesn't need the money as he owns a Dodge dealership and is doing very well. The boat has been used on the Mississippi four times according to the current owner and he no longer uses it at all. In all reality I think I can actually walk away this boat for about $20K. My current boat guy says "buy the damn thing and if it don't work we will put an 572/bravo in it and call it good". I was just curious if anyone else knows about the boat. I have called Ultra and they don't want to talk about it, go figure....
I don't think you can put a Bravo in it being that the step's have been removed. :squiggle:
...Get a new boat guy :(

Ziggy
11-15-2004, 05:38 PM
I've been on a Daycruiser boat larger than that with a 454/jet and it ran ok but not great. And the fuel useage would be horendous to push that much hull through the water.
Save your cash for something that fullfills all your needs and not just a percieved "deal"......plenty of jet boats on the lower Colorado for obvious reasons but the marketability locally would most likely be poor. There is a good reason this boat is still for sale. :hammerhea

Infomaniac
11-15-2004, 05:45 PM
I almost bought that boat 3 or 4 years ago off of the old bent boat repo site.
It was tested in Hot Boat mag. At one time it was featured on this web site. The engine had been replaced once already back then. Had a Merlin 540 in it.
Looks like someone added a wake board tower since.
I told John at Ultra about the boat because the guy still owed money on it.
Looks like it has been around the block a few times. It was built at great cost of R&D for the guy because he only had shallow water to run it in. It is the only jet 247 version.

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 05:53 PM
Looks like I hit on a boat with some strange history. I new something was up with this boat the when it sold on eBay for $26,600 and the guy drove all the way up to Iowa from Florida and then didn't buy it. I talked to him and he just said it wasn't the boat for him. I haven't made my mind up by any means but I think for the money it might make a nice boat. I will call Ultra in the morning. I already have a couple of motors, namely a chevy 572 and a hemi 528, that I could probably put in the boat with some help so that's no big deal. I would really like to hear the real history of the boat though.
Thanks to All!

shadow
11-15-2004, 06:01 PM
Thats an awful lot of money to think about spending on a very used boat.not to mention a fuel eating turd.If you were to put more power it would just be a little faster turd that would suck up the fuel.Give John acall if you are interested in Ultra i'm sure if you are looking for used they can help between the Ultra stores i'm sure thev'y got something to fit your needs and won't have to dump money into.

Infomaniac
11-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Looks like I hit on a boat with some strange history. I new something was up with this boat the when it sold on eBay for $26,600 and the guy drove all the way up to Iowa from Florida and then didn't buy it. I talked to him and he just said it wasn't the boat for him. I haven't made my mind up by any means but I think for the money it might make a nice boat. I will call Ultra in the morning. I already have a couple of motors, namely a chevy 572 and a hemi 528, that I could probably put in the boat with some help so that's no big deal. I would really like to hear the real history of the boat though.
Thanks to All!
I just gave you the real history up to about 4 years ago. :cool: :cool:
It was featured in Hot Boat Cove. Maybe they can dig it up for you. I knew one of the East Coast Ultra dealers then and he said the boat was a turd. Nice looking turd though. :smile: He is the one that told me the boat still had money owed against it and Ultra was looking for it.
Oh yea, I could have had it for 19K

AMC-Nut
11-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Ok, Ok, I will stay away from this thing. I knew this was the place to find out about it. This Internet thing is great! Do you think I could get it for $10K then? LOL

MOBrien
11-15-2004, 06:31 PM
I too almost bought that boat last year. Probably the same guy trying to ditch it on someone not paying attention....thus a sucker in my opinion. When I was looking at it, I decided to call the manufacturer and get a first hand opinion. An opinion of which was easy to obtain. Exact words. "Don't buy this boat. I'd keep looking if I were you"
So that being said and heard with my own ears....my advice is the same. You know, there's a 24 Lavey Nu Era with a 502 on the boards for $36K and the owner needs to sell it. Now that's a deal. This Ultra deal's a scam.
My $.02
Good luck!
-MOB

MOBrien
11-15-2004, 06:35 PM
oh yea...when I was looking at it this time last year....no tower.
That tower is sinfully UGLY!
Now you've got my $.04
-MOB

Lake Ape
04-25-2005, 10:22 PM
Isn't this the same boat again??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=80653&item=4545742445&rd=1
http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/03/ef/a3/ff_1_b.JPG

JetBoatRich
04-26-2005, 03:38 AM
Ebay removed it :confused: 2nd link invalid :confused:

HOSS
04-26-2005, 05:28 AM
Thats a very nice looking boat. Why not put a turbine in it and leave the jet?

Lake Ape
04-26-2005, 07:07 AM
Ebay removed it :confused: 2nd link invalid :confused:
No, look at the original post date, it's from a while ago. I saw this boat last night and did a search for it here and low and behold here is the thread. I also found a couple other threads on the boat in here. There's one on how the swim platform was added or something or other..