PDA

View Full Version : Sound Meter Availability???

LHC30Victory
11-16-2004, 08:32 PM
Finally bit the bullet and bought two pair of Rex silencers for the advantage. Will be putting them on this Sat in Havazoo. Does anyone know where I might get a "Before" sound measurement early Sat morning before I start pulling it apart???
I would like to get the "After" measurement either later Sat or Sun or even Friday after Thanksgiving.
Thought about going to the Marina, but since they don't measure according to the rules (either AZ or CA) then that isn't much to rely on.

LHC30Victory
11-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks, sent the PM.
Stealth Marine was looking into something like this also. wonder if they are up and running yet.

Squirtin Thunder
11-16-2004, 09:12 PM
You can actually ask a local lake cop to test you. I have done that in the past. Before and after and that usually kept that cop off my ass.
Jim

LHC30Victory
11-16-2004, 09:15 PM
You can actually ask a local lake cop to test you. I have done that in the past. Before and after and that usually kept that cop off my ass.
Jim
Isn't that kinda like aksing the radar cop to let ya do a quick run by him to check your speedo that you KNOW is off by a lot??????
Cool Idea if ya get the right cop.

LHC30Victory
11-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Hey Alan, are you or any of your guys gonna be around the Zoo this weekend to help??? :)

Huckleberry
11-17-2004, 06:48 AM
You coud always go to the LHM and have them do one of their jank a$$ tests for ya!!! :2purples:

Essex502
11-17-2004, 06:54 AM
I'd love to check ya' but won't be in town this weekend. Call Chris at Stealth Marine as he said he was ordering a meter. I'd bet he'd be happy to help for the goodwill engendered.
An alternate would be to go to Windsor. I talked to a Park Ranger there who monitored this board but doesn't post. They were doing some informal testing a few weeks ago and I'd bet they would be happy to help. The two rangers that were there were very sympathetic to our plight with the Marina and understood our pro-active approach. I don't have the Ranger's name with me as I left it at the house in Havasu but if you ask at the gate you might have some luck. They were good guys - definitely not the enemy in this.
Talk to Chris then try the Rangers.

Essex502
11-17-2004, 06:58 AM
Another thought...I bought my meter at Radio Shack and it has tracked exactly to what the more expensive meters that I have compared it to.
Here's the link to it if you're interested: Radio Shack Digital Sound Meter (http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F007%5F002%5F014%5F000&product%5Fid=33%2D2055) .
It read the same noise levels as the one Rex Marine recently used on a friend's boat at the same distance. It also read the same as the Marina's meter when they "banned" my friend's boat as well. Costs $49.99 + tax and is in stock at most Radio Shack stores.