PDA

View Full Version : Air Bags on a 2500 HD?

100mbs
11-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Has any one here installed air bags on your 2500 HD Truck?
Did you take off the Leaf Springs and install only Rear Air bags?
OR
Did you Install Rear Air Bags along with the Stock Leaf Springs?
What are your Likes and Dislikes?????
Thanks in advance....

WetWillie
11-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Chuck, I saw your company was laying off 150?? You ok?

100mbs
11-16-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah I'm still there. We closed one of our sites and then laid a bunch of people off in SD and in Boston.

syke-o
11-17-2004, 12:40 PM
OR
Thanks in advance....
i think froggystyle did airbags on his truck.. you might try pm'n him..

BLOWN HOWARD
11-17-2004, 02:09 PM
I am getting ready to install some my self here pretty quick. I am going to do the install and keep the existing springs

mbrown2
11-17-2004, 02:23 PM
Anybody know if the bags help the back end hop over saw cut freeways heading through Beaumont or Banning?

100mbs
11-17-2004, 02:50 PM
I am getting ready to install some my self here pretty quick. I am going to do the install and keep the existing springs
Do you know what benefit you expect to see when you do the air bags and leaf springs together?

BLOWN HOWARD
11-17-2004, 05:44 PM
Do you know what benefit you expect to see when you do the air bags and leaf springs together?
Right now i am towing a 14,900lb trailer and i am looking to get rid of the sag and the squishy feeling when going over bumps.

100mbs
11-17-2004, 06:23 PM
Right now i am towing a 14,900lb trailer and i am looking to get rid of the sag and the squishy feeling when going over bumps.
When you get them on let me know if they get rid of the bounce in the ride when not towing.
I am kind of curious to see if it helps at all.

UnionJack
11-17-2004, 06:30 PM
I have them...

BLOWN HOWARD
11-17-2004, 07:47 PM
When you get them on let me know if they get rid of the bounce in the ride when not towing.
I am kind of curious to see if it helps at all.
I dont think its gonna help the bounce when unloaded on the freeway i think that has alot to do with the wheelbase. You short bed or long?

Kachina26
11-17-2004, 07:52 PM
One of my Co-workers did his 2500HD with the bags, they are used in conjunction with the leaf springs. He installed them during a lunch hour. The Firestone kit was around $250 ish. I did my half ton and it made a huge difference while towing.

100mbs
11-17-2004, 08:54 PM
I dont think its gonna help the bounce when unloaded on the freeway i think that has alot to do with the wheelbase. You short bed or long?
I have a short bed.

voodoomedman
11-17-2004, 09:48 PM
I've got a lifted 1500 with Air Bags and it is a world of difference towing. Better with 5000 pounds of boat and having bags than no bags and 1000 pounds of jet ski. As far as not towing I can put it up to like 15 or 20 pounds of air on a bumpy freeway to take out the bounce. Just makes it a little stiffer is all. If your going to spend the money then spend the extra to have the onboard compressor and control. No stopping at gas stations for me. Just a flip of a switch.

MACH26
11-18-2004, 08:37 AM
Anybody know if the bags help the back end hop over saw cut freeways heading through Beaumont or Banning?
Not in my case, but I'm using all leaf spring (not blocks ) to lift the rear end and was told the back would sag when I towed, so I put them on.
Javier

mbrown2
11-18-2004, 08:52 AM
Shorty...

mbrown2
11-18-2004, 08:53 AM
Sounds like it don't really remove the bounce when towing....I only tow about 1/2 mile, so I don't need them for that..

HighRoller
11-18-2004, 03:59 PM
MB2, have you investigated some of them thar Velvet Ride shackle thingies? Fiat48 said he was gonna put some on his ride but I haven't heard anymore about it. I'm probably gonna be buying a 1-ton Ford soon so I'll be looking for ways to soften up the ride too.

goneboatin
11-18-2004, 04:21 PM
I've got at Chevy 2500 crew, and recently put the Velvet Ride shackles on it and haven't made a run thru Fontucky on the 10 yet, but they seem to soften the bumps. You still bounce, but it seems to have taken the sharpness out of the bouncing. I'm heading to San Jacinto by Hemet on Turkey day to go to my mom's place, I'll have a full report on the weekend.
GB

100mbs
11-18-2004, 04:51 PM
I've got at Chevy 2500 crew, and recently put the Velvet Ride shackles on it and haven't made a run thru Fontucky on the 10 yet, but they seem to soften the bumps. You still bounce, but it seems to have taken the sharpness out of the bouncing. I'm heading to San Jacinto by Hemet on Turkey day to go to my mom's place, I'll have a full report on the weekend.
GB
I will looking forward to the report.
Were did you get the shackles at?

goneboatin
11-18-2004, 06:43 PM
I got them from drivetrain.com. They're out of Las Vegas.

Mandelon
11-18-2004, 07:46 PM
I had a pair of Firestone Airbags installed on my 97 F-250 HD for when I carried my camper on it. They added them to the existing setup. They really helped carry the heavier load, but the ride is jarring. I changed out the shocks to Bilstiens and the ride is quite harsh, but that big truck corners pretty well.
If I pumped em up to 80 lbs I can fill the bed with sand or concrete and it handles it easily. Softens up the ride too.

PHOTOGLOU
11-18-2004, 08:06 PM
OR
Thanks in advance....
I added lateral traction bars to mine and air bags half way between both ends bags move 5" so will lift truck about 4" in the back if needed buts rides perfect

100mbs
11-18-2004, 08:46 PM
I added lateral traction bars to mine and air bags half way between both ends bags move 5" so will lift truck about 4" in the back if needed buts rides perfect
So your bags are mounted the bars and not to the leaf springs?

PHOTOGLOU
11-18-2004, 11:56 PM
So your bags are mounted the bars and not to the leaf springs?
yes bars to frame

BLOWN HOWARD
11-19-2004, 10:09 AM
Not to get off topic here but anybody running the retractable running boards or steps?

sigepmock
11-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Just thought I'd throw in my .02. I have a 2500HD crewcab short bed and I have been researching this subject quite a bit and I'm getting ready tear into my truck. Here's what a I've found....the bouncing on the freeway is caused by several things wheelbase the main issue. It's not actually the wheelbase but the length of the frame....the longer the distance between the wheels the more the frame flexes and on the great So Cal freeways you get an ocilatory effects where the bouncing gets worse and worse. How do you fix it? You stiffen the frame but you don't want to make it too stiff because then you feel everybump in the road. I've already tested a bolt on version of a frame stiffener for my truck and it worked really well now I'm just finalizing the design before I weld it on. The next problem any 3/4 ton leaf spring vehicle has is that the springs are stiff, duh....So you can soften up the spring rate but then you can't carry a load.....what good is a 3/4" ton truck with soft springs....? Well you add airbags that you can control to help carry the load. So that is what I'm doing....adding a set of Soft multiply Deaver springs that will ride nice when the truck is empty and also offroad better and adding a set of Firestone air bags with an onboard air compressor and controller. This way when I tow I can air the bags up to transfer the load to the axles and tires and when I'm cruising or offraoding I can air down and let the rear axle move all it wants. This also helps with the bouncing on the freeway. The last thing I'm adding is a ladder bar style antiwrap traction bars to help control the rear axle from twisting and produing wheel hop but this is more of an offroad application.
These are just the conclusions I have come to through my own research including testing, talking with other engineers, and talking with GM design personnel. Let the flaming begin.
Chris

mbrown2
11-19-2004, 12:59 PM
Not to get off topic here but anybody running the retractable running boards or steps?
Running kodiaks and love them....what info you looking for?

100mbs
11-19-2004, 02:11 PM
Just thought I'd throw in my .02. I have a 2500HD crewcab short bed and I have been researching this subject quite a bit and I'm getting ready tear into my truck. Here's what a I've found....the bouncing on the freeway is caused by several things wheelbase the main issue. It's not actually the wheelbase but the length of the frame....the longer the distance between the wheels the more the frame flexes and on the great So Cal freeways you get an ocilatory effects where the bouncing gets worse and worse. How do you fix it? You stiffen the frame but you don't want to make it too stiff because then you feel everybump in the road. I've already tested a bolt on version of a frame stiffener for my truck and it worked really well now I'm just finalizing the design before I weld it on. The next problem any 3/4 ton leaf spring vehicle has is that the springs are stiff, duh....So you can soften up the spring rate but then you can't carry a load.....what good is a 3/4" ton truck with soft springs....? Well you add airbags that you can control to help carry the load. So that is what I'm doing....adding a set of Soft multiply Deaver springs that will ride nice when the truck is empty and also offroad better and adding a set of Firestone air bags with an onboard air compressor and controller. This way when I tow I can air the bags up to transfer the load to the axles and tires and when I'm cruising or offraoding I can air down and let the rear axle move all it wants. This also helps with the bouncing on the freeway. The last thing I'm adding is a ladder bar style antiwrap traction bars to help control the rear axle from twisting and produing wheel hop but this is more of an offroad application.
These are just the conclusions I have come to through my own research including testing, talking with other engineers, and talking with GM design personnel. Let the flaming begin.
Chris
Hey Chris, Thanks for this great info. I think i am going to look in to the Deaver springs and the air bags also. I think that is the way to go from what i read.
Chuck..

BLOWN HOWARD
11-19-2004, 02:58 PM
You mind me asking what they ran ya installed. Or is it any easy item to install your self?

goneboatin
11-19-2004, 03:38 PM
Chris
Ya know for a lot less money you could just put a few sacks of concrete in the bed of your truck. I had a tool box that layed between the fender wells and ran the length of the bed (6 feet); with tools it must have weighed about 400 lbs. That made the joints on the road unnoticeable. The tool box is free for the asking.

mbrown2
11-19-2004, 03:54 PM
It was like 1K parts and install....you could install yourself though.

BLOWN HOWARD
11-19-2004, 04:36 PM
Ah thats not to bad do you have bypass swithces on them if you dont want them to drop when you open the door?

Lightning
11-20-2004, 04:55 PM
Ah thats not to bad do you have bypass swithces on them if you dont want them to drop when you open the door?
Have you thought about the one piece retractable one's instead of the steps. Check it out. http://www.amp-research.com/invent/powerstep.asp

phebus
11-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Have you thought about the one piece retractable one's instead of the steps. Check it out. http://www.amp-research.com/invent/powerstep.asp
How much do those cost?

tahitijet
11-20-2004, 09:19 PM
this is a picture of a new HD i just lowered and built a custom overload bag setup on for a customer. When the owner came in he complained about the stiff ride and that the truck sagged with this race car trailer connected. He has only had it back a few days now but has said the ride quality is much better and they towed a car in there race trailer to the races this weekend and said with 40psi in the rear bags the truck drove level and like a dream.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709PB160095-med.JPG

XtrmWakeborder
11-21-2004, 02:12 PM
this is a picture of a new HD i just lowered and built a custom overload bag setup on for a customer. When the owner came in he complained about the stiff ride and that the truck sagged with this race car trailer connected. He has only had it back a few days now but has said the ride quality is much better and they towed a car in there race trailer to the races this weekend and said with 40psi in the rear bags the truck drove level and like a dream.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/709PB160095-med.JPG
How much was it lowered?

tahitijet
11-21-2004, 03:31 PM
2/4 (actually 2.5/4.5) for now

GofastRacer
11-21-2004, 06:16 PM
If you convert to air ride it will be smooth, just look at an 18 wheeler going down the road(on that wonderful stretch of road,lol)the suspention is hopping but not the vehicle!..But if you have auxilary bags with the springs, it won't help!..

Flying Tiger
12-02-2004, 09:39 PM
The solution for that is the velvet ride kit,, absolutely awsum.

NewGuy
12-05-2004, 09:10 AM
I put the Airlift "bags" on my 04 Sub and they made a HUGE difference. I am absolutely thrilled. Only cost $300 installed.