PDA

View Full Version : The fascination with chrome rims...

dmontzsta
11-16-2004, 10:38 PM
So me and my buddy go to the Ford dealer, he was going to buy a new Mustang, since finding an 04 Cobra is impossible. We finally find a 05 GT Black 5 speed. For those that dont know these cars are selling for 35-40k right now due to the lack of availability at the dealers. So, the only dealer with one and they have 20" chrome rims on it??? WTF??? he tells them "I DO NOT WANT CHROME RIMS" but, they order them just with the chrome rims??? and say that is the only way they can get them right now, first come first serve??? GAY! And they want $10k for the rims and tires SUPER GAY!
I am anti chrome rims and so are alot of my buddies. At first it was a rapper thing and people made fun of them, but now everyone wants them, it is so bad that car dealers sell them like this...this bothers me and is insane. I really DO NOT think big chrome wheels look good at all. In fact I cant help but chuckle at the business men and soccer moms that have dubs on their cars and suvs, it is a JOKE!
Sorry, just had to vent...let me know if you like them and WHY? or let me know if you are with me and just say **** chrome.

Danhercules
11-16-2004, 10:40 PM
Chrome may not get you home, but it will get you laid! :D

Goldilocks
11-16-2004, 10:41 PM
I think they are a bit "showy" myself. It depends on the style...some I like, some I really don't like. :)

Squirtin Thunder
11-16-2004, 10:44 PM
No a good attitude and a few drinks will get you laid.
Rims you just look like a wana be !!!!
Jim

dmontzsta
11-16-2004, 10:45 PM
really? hmmm...the my gf and her cousins and other girls I talk to dont really care for it, they think it is played or overrated.

switchin'addiction
11-16-2004, 10:48 PM
I agree with ya dmont..................These f'in things are showing up everywhere:
http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/158246/fullsize/hood%20ride.jpg

XtrmWakeborder
11-16-2004, 10:50 PM
hmm all the girls i talk to like my ride rims and all, i dunno must be the age difference? Personally i like powder coated rims "say black" with the chrome lip on a black truck. Spinners are deffinately played out though.

dmontzsta
11-16-2004, 10:54 PM
hmm all the girls i talk to like my ride rims and all, i dunno must be the age difference? Personally i like powder coated rims "say black" with the chrome lip on a black truck. Spinners are deffinately played out though.
I am 24, I guess I am old??? Chrome to me is cheap, polished alluminum is 100x nicer. I guess different chicks have different tastes, just like men.

Kachina26
11-16-2004, 10:56 PM
and say that is the only way they can get them right now,
Actually, they don't "come that way". Many dealers add junk like that to make money on the deal. Sure you get a smoking deal on the car, but then come the ad ons. The Ford website doesn't even have an option for 20" wheels.
Wheel Locking Kits $50.00
Active Anti-Theft System $255.00
Front Seat Side-Mounted Air Bags $370.00
Spoiler Delete Option
Aberdeen Embossed Leather-Trimmed Sport Bucket Seats $695.00
5R55S 5-Speed Automatic Transmission $995.00
17" Bright Machined Cast Aluminum Wheels $195.00
Shaker 500 Audio System - AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CDx6, MP3 & 6-Speakers $665.00
Shaker 1000 Audio System - AM/FM Stereo w/In-Dash CDx6, MP3 & 9 Audiophile Speakers $1,770.00

XtrmWakeborder
11-16-2004, 10:57 PM
I am 24, I guess I am old??? Chrome to me is cheap, polished alluminum is 100x nicer. I guess different chicks have different tastes, just like men.
Almost half way to 50! haha yep different tastes for different people, i would NEVER put chrome on a muscle car though!

Squirtin Thunder
11-16-2004, 10:58 PM
Somehow I doubt they "come that way". Many dealers add junk like that to make money on the deal. Sure you get a smoking deal on the car, but then come the ad ons. The Ford website doesn't even have an option for 20" wheels.
Exactly if you need to get passed the BS let me know I may be able to help !!!
Jim

Kilrtoy
11-16-2004, 10:58 PM
The reason you cant find an 04 COBRA is because they never made one, its and 03 sold in 04. GALPIN FORD has 10 of them and they are dealing on them BIG TIME. Was just in there last weekend

dmontzsta
11-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Almost half way to 50! haha yep different tastes for different people, i would NEVER put chrome on a muscle car though!
haha, thanks dude, as if the hair line moving back on me wasnt enough. :D

Kachina26
11-16-2004, 11:01 PM
The reason you cant find an 04 COBRA is because they never made one, its and 03 sold in 04. GALPIN FORD has 10 of them and they are dealing on them BIG TIME. Was just in there last weekend
They still have 03's????? Guess Fords really do suck, nobody wants them :p,
except for the 20" wheel loving crowd ;)

dmontzsta
11-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Actually, they don't "come that way". Many dealers add junk like that to make money on the deal. Sure you get a smoking deal on the car, but then come the ad ons. The Ford website doesn't even have an option for 20" wheels.
Probably true, it had lowering and crap on it (which messes up the chemistry on the new GT I hear, more things need to be done than springs) but they said that is the only way they get them, other dealers did not know when they were going to get them.

wsuwrhr
11-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Since I am in the industry, I can tell you that custumers want the look of polished aluminum without the maintainance.
Chrome= shiney all the timey.
Windex and no elbow grease. And no black fingers.
Brian

Kilrtoy
11-16-2004, 11:08 PM
They still have 03's????? Guess Fords really do suck, nobody wants them :p,
except for the 20" wheel loving crowd ;)
If it wasnt someone we knew and cared about i would revisit catalina Saturday Damn the skipper get up hit toclose to home. :p Yes they call them 03's they only make them every two years. NO Deals, No Special Finacing, and they cost alot more than a GT. They are skipping 05 and coming out with an 06, 08, 10 and so on

Kachina26
11-16-2004, 11:08 PM
Let me tell you a little about dealers, I work at one. An honest one. Vehicles come off of the truck stock. They don't come with some bull crap theft thing that you have to hit the turn signal to start the car or put some chip in a slot or wave a key chain thing over a certain spot. Those are $25 gambles that they take to try to get you to spend as much as $1000 on. They don't come lowered or lifted off the truck. They don't come with big ole "ghetto" wheels. That is all junk the dealer puts on to make big bucks off of you. The special paint protectant that you pay $100-$500 for is a coat of wax and that company changes names every 2 years or so. The only good extended warranty is the factory extended warranty, the others are difficult to deal with or go belly up in a short time. Don't buy ANYTHING in the F&I office!

Kachina26
11-16-2004, 11:10 PM
If it wasnt someone we knew and cared about i would revisit catalina Saturday Damn the skipper get up hit toclose to home. :p Yes they call them 03's they only make them every two years. NO Deals, No Special Finacing, and they cost alot more than a GT. They are skipping 05 and coming out with an 06, 08, 10 and so on
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn, I wondered who would be first. I didn't think it would be you :jawdrop:

Kilrtoy
11-16-2004, 11:10 PM
Let me tell you a little about dealers, I work at one. An honest one. Vehicles come off of the truck stock. They don't come with some bull crap theft thing that you have to hit the turn signal to start the car or put some chip in a slot or wave a key chain thing over a certain spot. Those are $25 gambles that they take to try to get you to spend as much as $1000 on. They don't come lowered or lifted off the truck. They don't come with big ole "ghetto" wheels. That is all junk the dealer puts on to make big bucks off of you. The special paint protectant that you pay $100-$500 for is a coat of wax and that company changes names every 2 years or so. The only good extended warranty is the factory extended warranty, the others are difficult to deal with or go belly up in a short time. Don't buy ANYTHING in the F&I office!
NOW we know you are lying, Honest Dealer is like saying Honest Lawyer :)

Kachina26
11-16-2004, 11:13 PM
NOW we know you are lying, Honest Dealer is like saying Honest Lawyer :)
Actually, I'm pretty proud of our sales dept. I've seen how other dealers work.

Kilrtoy
11-16-2004, 11:32 PM
I kknow exactly what you are saying,
Would you like to buy under coat protectant.
UM didnt the factory do that.
well Um, well yes BUT this is special stuff and Ill let you have it for 800 its regularly 1500

Kachina26
11-16-2004, 11:55 PM
I kknow exactly what you are saying,
Would you like to buy under coat protectant.
UM didnt the factory do that.
well Um, well yes BUT this is special stuff and Ill let you have it for 800 its regularly 1500
That special stuff is 8-10 bucks a can in any parts store. Besides, the vehicle has a 10 year rust through warranty.

Roman 1
11-16-2004, 11:59 PM
... with big ole "ghetto" wheels.
Its amazing how "ghetto" trends find there way into "white" america. From baggie pants to 20 inch wheels on every suburban that passes you.
"The ghetto"...home of the trend setters. You gotta give snoop credit for shaping this country's culture without half trying.
Personally, I'm not trying to hear that... I didn't care for the "floater" trend and I'm not blingin 20's. But good for you if you do. Now back to the three six oh!
Roman the ho! :coffeycup :cool:

RiverOtter
11-17-2004, 05:18 AM
Why do people spend thousands over sticker on a car that everybody knows in 6 - 8 months they will be selling at invoice and probably 0% financing. I remember my brother buying a Miata the first year they came out. Paid $25,000 for a car that stickered for around $18,000. Within months Mazda was selling those things for well under sticker. Some tards I heard paid $40,000 + for those things. It's not like these are limited production cars. I just don't get it. :cool:

Bad2DBone
11-17-2004, 05:34 AM
I have seen lots of the crap cars with 22 inch dubs and I think it's a joke and they look like ass. I have a friend that put 22s on their Expedition with a 35 series tire and I think it looks out of place. We ourselves have a YukonXL and if I was to put any tire/wheel combo on it it would be just a standard 16 inch rim with some BFG mudders. After all its a 4X4.
But as far as old muscle cars these are my favorite wheels..
Centerline auto drags. satin finish....
http://home.comcast.net/~bubbastallion/wsb/media/257173/site1096.JPG
Although I do also like the convo pro wheel as well.

Devilman
11-17-2004, 05:44 AM
It's hard to beat a set old fashioned, polished to the hilt, slot mags. :D
Course they're not very shiny right now in all this rain :cry:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/2029Work_Ride1.jpg

FRENCHIE
11-17-2004, 05:54 AM
i agree ...i hate chrome!!!! :jawdrop: :hammer2: ;)

switchin'addiction
11-17-2004, 06:00 AM
I have seen lots of the crap cars with 22 inch dubs and I think it's a joke and they look like ass. I have a friend that put 22s on their Expedition with a 35 series tire and I think it looks out of place. We ourselves have a YukonXL and if I was to put any tire/wheel combo on it it would be just a standard 16 inch rim with some BFG mudders. After all its a 4X4.
But as far as old muscle cars these are my favorite wheels..
Centerline auto drags. satin finish....
http://home.comcast.net/~bubbastallion/wsb/media/257173/site1096.JPG
Although I do also like the convo pro wheel as well.
Old school, I like it.

mmered8299
11-17-2004, 06:25 AM
Remember when Ultra and American Racing Wheel were the shit! Now everbody has wheel for sale. I just bought 22" for my wifes Tahoe. She love them.

Devilman
11-17-2004, 06:34 AM
You wanna talk remember when? I've got a pair of old Cragar S/S on a trailer of mine, that I used to run on the back of a Nova I had. You should have seen the guys face there at Discount Tire when I brought him some 14x10's ! The old tires were still using letters for size designation (G, H, so on) Before his time I suppose :cool:

Sweet Addiction
11-17-2004, 06:59 AM
You got's to roll with the times. Things change no matter how much some of us may hate what the current trend is. Just some 02'.

boatnam2
11-17-2004, 07:13 AM
what is fords new car.it looks like a race car.they delivered 2 to the local ford dealership by us.they came in a enclosed trailer bad ass looking cars.kinda look like a ferarri or pantera.the whole dealership was out there when they pulled them off teh trailer.

dmontzsta
11-17-2004, 07:20 AM
what is fords new car.it looks like a race car.they delivered 2 to the local ford dealership by us.they came in a enclosed trailer bad ass looking cars.kinda look like a ferarri or pantera.the whole dealership was out there when they pulled them off teh trailer.
That is probably the new GT (based off the GT-40) as far as I know Jay Leno is the only person that owns one in California.

dave186
11-17-2004, 07:33 AM
everyone is trying to get me to put some "bling bling" wheels on my truck and i refuse to do it, the factory 17" alloys are going to go just as fast as any 20" wheel. the thing i really hate is the look of 20 or 22" wheels with big mud tires. lo pro mudders WTF?

Danhercules
11-17-2004, 08:19 AM
really? hmmm...the my gf and her cousins and other girls I talk to dont really care for it, they think it is played or overrated.
Soooo, your gonna polish your steel headers? :confused:
LOL
Just messin with ya, the statment, "Chrome may not get you home, but it will get you laid", is general. Not wheels only. Look at a built whatever, car, boat, if its fast, it ussally has chrome, and breaks more than normal cars/boats, but chicks dig it!!! So in sayin that, go polish your steel!!! LOL ;)

dmontzsta
11-17-2004, 09:21 AM
Soooo, your gonna polish your steel headers? :confused:
LOL
Just messin with ya, the statment, "Chrome may not get you home, but it will get you laid", is general. Not wheels only. Look at a built whatever, car, boat, if its fast, it ussally has chrome, and breaks more than normal cars/boats, but chicks dig it!!! So in sayin that, go polish your steel!!! LOL ;)
No, I am going to jet hot them as soon as possible. :)

dmontzsta
11-17-2004, 09:22 AM
everyone is trying to get me to put some "bling bling" wheels on my truck and i refuse to do it, the factory 17" alloys are going to go just as fast as any 20" wheel. the thing i really hate is the look of 20 or 22" wheels with big mud tires. lo pro mudders WTF?
You are right there, dont do it. Your 17s will make you go faster than some HEAVY ASS chrome any day of the week.
You are right, these 20" wheels they have not with big mud tires look rediculous.
I sound like a hater, but it is my honest opinion. To each his own though.

al cole'holic
11-17-2004, 09:29 AM
So me and my buddy go to the Ford dealer, he was going to buy a new Mustang, since finding an 04 Cobra is impossible. We finally find a 05 GT Black 5 speed. For those that dont know these cars are selling for 35-40k right now due to the lack of availability at the dealers. So, the only dealer with one and they have 20" chrome rims on it??? WTF??? he tells them "I DO NOT WANT CHROME RIMS" but, they order them just with the chrome rims??? and say that is the only way they can get them right now, first come first serve??? GAY! And they want $10k for the rims and tires SUPER GAY!
I am anti chrome rims and so are alot of my buddies. At first it was a rapper thing and people made fun of them, but now everyone wants them, it is so bad that car dealers sell them like this...this bothers me and is insane. I really DO NOT think big chrome wheels look good at all. In fact I cant help but chuckle at the business men and soccer moms that have dubs on their cars and suvs, it is a JOKE!
Sorry, just had to vent...let me know if you like them and WHY? or let me know if you are with me and just say **** chrome.
I think I love you! Finally, someone who feels as strongly as I do about the gayness of chrome wheels...brings tears to my eyes :cry:

Devilman
11-17-2004, 09:36 AM
Man, you guys are cracking me up! All this talk about dubs, man, yer killin me!!
I didn't think I still had this link, but it slays me. Check it out if ya got time!
http://www.geocities.com/icyhotstunnaz/index.html
Hopefully I did that right :D

rrrr
11-17-2004, 09:43 AM
Hey dmonzta, you should check out my favorite magazine-
Bikinis and Chrome (http://www.lowridermagazine.com/toc/)
You'll like it, vato.
:D :D

dmontzsta
11-17-2004, 10:02 AM
Hey dmonzta, you should check out my favorite magazine-
Bikinis and Chrome (http://www.lowridermagazine.com/toc/)
You'll like it, vato.
I will click that when everyone leaves work, but...only for the bikinis. :D

Rev. Williams
11-17-2004, 10:02 AM
You guys have forgot to mention the boneheads that have an $800 dollar Toyota Tercel on $2,000 dollar Chrome rims !!!
I guess if you have that cool looking Brahma Bull sticker on the door the rims just kinda tie it all together!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Roman 1
11-17-2004, 10:10 AM
You got's to roll with the times. Things change no matter how much some of us may hate what the current trend is. Just some 02'.
Is it too hard to think for yourself? What ever happened to originallity? If you want to roll with the trends why would you pick one that has zero functionality to it. For those who think following the trends of compton rappers is cool, bling on with your dub self. :rolleyes:
R1

rrrr
11-17-2004, 10:14 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/109chrome.bmp

syke-o
11-17-2004, 10:24 AM
chrome has its place, like other lighter weight rims have their place... if you have an escalade you will probably roll with chrome dubs because you want the look of the big rim to fill up the wheel well and you are not concerned with the weight factor... now if you have an import racer you are not going to put big chrome rims on, you are going to go after a smaller lighter rim that will increase your speed....
i think a bigger vehicle(suvs) look good with the bigger chrome rims... i also think older muscle cars look good with the smaller polished rim with the meatier tire...
i also agree with everyone that the spinners suck!!

Roman 1
11-17-2004, 10:27 AM
You guys have forgot to mention the boneheads that have an $800 dollar Toyota Tercel on $2,000 dollar Chrome rims !!!
I guess if you have that cool looking Brahma Bull sticker on the door the rims just kinda tie it all together!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Its a catch 22 for our little ghetto friends. They want the world to think they're blingin in $dough$ so they adorn thier $2000 dollar corollas in gold trim and vynal roofs. All this does is show everyone they are from the ghetto and therefore poverty stricken. What a bunch of fricken retards! :rollside:
Then some urban idiot watches his favorite rapper on mtv and see's the dubs a rollin. Next he's outfitted his wife's tahoe in 20's and the neighbors say--> "we better go get dubs, we gotta roll with the times".Mindless sheep... Pathetic. :notam:
R1

Devilman
11-17-2004, 10:34 AM
There's a couple of guys here that run around in a red, white vinyl top '78 or '79 Pontiac Grand Prix(you know, the bigass 2 door version?) with 20" or 22" spinners on that rascal. What gets me is that they had to lift it up to fit those tall a$$ tires under there! Maybe I should say sumthing? :D :D

al cole'holic
11-17-2004, 10:36 AM
You wanna talk remember when? I've got a pair of old Cragar S/S on a trailer of mine, that I used to run on the back of a Nova I had. You should have seen the guys face there at Discount Tire when I brought him some 14x10's ! The old tires were still using letters for size designation (G, H, so on) Before his time I suppose :cool:
....hells yea!! Cragar Draglites :D :D

Devilman
11-17-2004, 10:41 AM
Yeah, they look like crap now. I've hung onto them for so long partly just to say I've got 'em! Can you imagine...14x10, dammit! Thought about having them restored but that gets pricey.

Cheap Thrills
11-17-2004, 10:45 AM
Sure , chrome WILL get you home ! All you have to do is pawn it for bus fare
when your shieat breaks down because you got a set of rims for your ego instead of rings for your pistons.:p
C.T. fired that shot and I'm back out :wink:

dmontzsta
11-17-2004, 03:38 PM
Glad to see I am not alone here. :)

totenhosen
11-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Chrome blows and makes your car look like a mobile jewelry store. I'd much rather have some powder coated wheels.

rvrtoy
11-17-2004, 06:55 PM
I like chrome in moderation. I have 20" wheels on my Excursion with 37" tires. I think it looks good but maybe I am all alone on this thread.

dmontzsta
11-17-2004, 08:33 PM
Momma always said "if you aint got nothin nice to say, dont say it". :D
Like I said, everyone has different tastes.

WUTWZAT
11-17-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks Dan.....
Now I know what my problems is, well at least one of them. I got Alum wheels on my truck and they are only 16.5" wheels. Can somebody spaer some bling for a brother. I need a sign on the freeway off-ramp.
Will work for Dubs :notam:
Jason :squiggle:

riverbound
11-17-2004, 10:05 PM
I am a fan of the big chrome rims :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/681Picture_358-med.jpg
Got 22's? :D

dmontzsta
11-18-2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks Dan.....
Now I know what my problems is, well at least one of them. I got Alum wheels on my truck and they are only 16.5" wheels. Can somebody spaer some bling for a brother. I need a sign on the freeway off-ramp.
Will work for Dubs :notam:
Jason :squiggle:
Naw, your wheels are perfect, dont change a thing Jason. Besides you might not want the type of chicks that chrome attracts. :D

roostwear
11-18-2004, 08:09 AM
We were putting chromed alloys on cars at dealers as early as 1988-9. It didn't start in the ghetto, so don't romaticize it. It was done for the reason Brian mentioned... easy maintenance and chiny. 20's, 22's? Look like crap in my opinion. Give me a REAL set of wheels.... a freshly polished set of 16x11 mag Halibrands. :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/896t10.jpg
I wish I could chrome magnesium.... nice and shiny without all the polishing. :cry:

CustomCruiser
11-18-2004, 08:34 AM
I did the polished aluminum thing for a while. They look awesome when brand new and untarnished. But maintaining that shine just sucks, period. I've got better things to do (like polishing the aluminum on the boat engine). My current truck now has chrome wheels. Just soap 'em up and wipe 'em dry...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/996Truck_Shocks.JPG

11-18-2004, 08:35 AM
I'll take the old style Torq-Thrust American 5 spoke mag or a set of Anson slots. I'll live with having to polish 'em. Dogs piss on chrome wheels :D

CustomCruiser
11-18-2004, 08:39 AM
I'll take the old style Torq-Thrust American 5 spoke mag or a set of Anson slots. I'll live with having to polish 'em. Dogs piss on chrome wheels :D
And cats spray on mag/alum wheels and it leaves a stain. :rollside:

syke-o
11-18-2004, 08:42 AM
I did the polished aluminum thing for a while. They look awesome when brand new and untarnished. But maintaining that shine just sucks, period. I've got better things to do (like polishing the aluminum on the boat engine). My current truck now has chrome wheels. Just soap 'em up and wipe 'em dry...
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/996Truck_Shocks.JPG
nice ride!! how can you say that looks ghetto??? :hammer2:

prosthogod
11-18-2004, 08:45 AM
I think they are a bit "showy" myself. It depends on the style...some I like, some I really don't like. :)
Whatever Goldi like I like :D

roostwear
11-18-2004, 08:54 AM
For some reason, you won't find any cats around my garage.....

19cobaltcd
11-18-2004, 09:22 AM
A lot depends on the car too. I have a 67 Chevelle SS396 with Cragar SS's on it. It will never wear anything else.

dmontzsta
11-18-2004, 09:57 AM
It will polish out.