PDA

View Full Version : Sealed or Vented ??

SSTahoe
11-17-2004, 09:00 AM
I'm installing (2) 10" RockFord Fosgate sub's, to go with my other system. I was just wondering if I should build Sealed box's or vented. I would like the system to be good for all types of music, not just the boom boom....boom.
Thanks

ROZ
11-17-2004, 02:53 PM
I'm installing (2) 10" RockFord Fosgate sub's, to go with my other system. I was just wondering if I should build Sealed box's or vented. I would like the system to be good for all types of music, not just the boom boom....boom.
Thanks
If you're looking to run with a little extra volume and have the space( vented are usually about 1/3 larger than sealed), the vented box will perform better. Also make sure the amp has a subsonic filter so you don't blow your sub when it tries to reproduce frequencies too low...
If your current amp doesn't have a subsonic filter for the sub, and you're looking for the best all around sound, build a sealed enclosure.
If you want streetbass, build a bandpass enclosure :D

SSTahoe
11-17-2004, 03:49 PM
Bandpass enclosure??

ROZ
11-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Bandpass enclosure??
4th oder bandpasshttp://www.diysubwoofers.org/images/site/4thordbp.gif
or 6th order bandpass
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/images/site/6thordbp.gif

SSTahoe
11-17-2004, 04:06 PM
I got it now, I think I will just stick with sealed enclosure's. From what you said what I have heard that it will work best for sound quality.
The book says to build the enclosure: H=12.5" W-19.5 D=7.75" =0.65 (ft/3)
And after measuring my boat I don't have enough room for vented enclosure for the 10" sub.

ROZ
11-17-2004, 04:22 PM
for 1 sub, that total must include the thickness of the 3/4" wood...

SSTahoe
11-17-2004, 04:28 PM
that total must include the thickness of the 3/4" wood...
3/4 MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) right. thanks for the info now I just have to start cutting, one more question should i glass the MDF then fill and sand then paint the MDF that you can see when you in the boat, or is there some type of wood sealer that can be built up the sanded & painted

ROZ
11-17-2004, 04:39 PM
Eventhough there has been great debate on the type of wood to use when constructing an enclosure(MDF has consistant resonance), using marine ply then floating resin is the best choice. If the area is protected and won't see water, then glassing MDF will work fine. A few coats of polyurethane resin sand and paint. Sounds like fun :D

Havasu Hangin'
11-17-2004, 04:42 PM
I'd consider using marine plywood. It's stronger than MDF...and will take a pounding that a boat dishes out.

1stepcloser
11-17-2004, 04:44 PM
I secong the Lord's suggestion on the Marine ply. Much stronger than the MDF, and I dare you to hear a difference. ;)

Havasu Hangin'
11-17-2004, 04:53 PM
I secong the Lord's suggestion on the Marine ply. Much stronger than the MDF, and I dare you to hear a difference. ;)
Yes...the lurker knows from experience.
I upholstered my last one, so a little wood putty and a disc sander touched up the edges on my wonderful sawing job.

SSTahoe
11-17-2004, 05:01 PM
I have two storage doors that i'm taking out and that were my enclosure are going I was going to recess the subs back a little so you can't kick them but that might be to much work. I will just get some nice grills paint them white, if they get dented I will just buy new ones. I just want it to look nice is there any custom grills for 10's that don't cost to much.

Havasu Hangin'
11-17-2004, 05:10 PM
I have two storage doors that i'm taking out and that were my enclosure are going I was going to recess the subs back a little so you can't kick them but that might be to much work. I will just get some nice grills paint them white, if they get dented I will just buy new ones. I just want it to look nice is there any custom grills for 10's that don't cost to much.
Roz got me some cheap grills on my last setup...I just painted them white.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/hhangin/subs.jpg
I liked the RF grills because they were stronger (in case someone kicked one), but I didn't have the clearance. I've seen some slick front plates put on (just another piece of wood) that recesses the subs enough to stretch mesh fabric and vinyl over the front. Just put waffle grills underneath...and it looks very clean because you can't see them.

ROZ
11-17-2004, 06:11 PM
Yes...the lurker knows from experience.
The lurker... Now isn't that the basket calling the subwoofer black... ;)

ROZ
11-17-2004, 06:14 PM
I've seen some slick front plates put on (just another piece of wood) that recesses the subs enough to stretch mesh fabric and vinyl over the front. Just put waffle grills underneath...and it looks very clean because you can't see them.
This is a great solution...

SSTahoe
11-18-2004, 01:46 PM
I'm now going to install (1) 12" sub and Install my other (2) 10" subs for better sound my question is should I wire up the 10's in Series or Parallel the will be in the same enclosure for space savings.

SSTahoe
11-18-2004, 02:17 PM
If I put both 10" subs in one box will it work if i just double the cubic feet needed for one sub ?? one sub 0.65/ 2=???

ROZ
11-18-2004, 03:29 PM
If I put both 10" subs in one box will it work if i just double the cubic feet needed for one sub ?? one sub 0.65/ 2=???
Yes... doubling the volume is generally all you need to do... 1.3ft^3 ...
series or parallel will depend on your amp...
10's and 12 should be in different enclosures...

SSTahoe
11-18-2004, 04:57 PM
The 10' and 12's will be in different enclosure, are free air 12's OK ? Will I have to run 2 amp's to run the 12 and two 10's if the 10's are wired in Parallel or Series??

ROZ
11-18-2004, 05:16 PM
what model subs and what model amp(s)?

SSTahoe
11-18-2004, 05:22 PM
10's are Rockford Fosgate P110S8 have not bought a 12 yet or amp's ??

ROZ
11-18-2004, 05:53 PM
Do you have any other amps and speakers in the boat or are you starting fresh? Describe your current stereo system :idea:
What would work really well is if you already have/or buy a 5/6 channel amp that you could run the 12 from, and then add another 300 watt RMS amp to run those 10's... If multiple footprints are not a problem, 2 sub amps would be best. Choose an amp that has a rca preout so you can daisychain the signal from the headunit...

SSTahoe
11-19-2004, 07:40 AM
OK, this is what is going on i have you basic system that came with boat and it has a 6-disc change that has been added. There is 6 speeakers in the boat right now 4 in the cabin and 2 in the seating area. My plan is to leave the stock system in the boat just for the cabin area and in stall a new system just for the outside seating area. All I have for the new system is (2) 6X9 150 Watt full range speakers, and (2) 10" 150(RMS) 300(MAX) subs they are all Rockford Fosgate's. I was going to buy a system from Overtons that has the wirerd remote so I can install the stereo and disc change in the cabin and controll it from the outside. what do you think sound I run a amp for the 6X9's too or just run them of the stereo, plus I was going to run (1) free air 12 and the 10's will be wired in series or parallel? If you think of a good Amp for my application let me know.

sammtron
12-06-2004, 07:59 PM
do sum think like this i have 10mid's and highs and 4 -12"subs firing at the floor vented made of mdf and then epoxy to make water water tight

ROZ
12-07-2004, 10:41 AM
Looks good Samtron, but it looks like the floor is obstructing your ports. I bet it would really scream if the ports had a little more room to breath. :)

ROZ
12-07-2004, 11:02 AM
OK, this is what is going on i have you basic system that came with boat and it has a 6-disc change that has been added. There is 6 speeakers in the boat right now 4 in the cabin and 2 in the seating area. My plan is to leave the stock system in the boat just for the cabin area and in stall a new system just for the outside seating area. All I have for the new system is (2) 6X9 150 Watt full range speakers, and (2) 10" 150(RMS) 300(MAX) subs they are all Rockford Fosgate's. I was going to buy a system from Overtons that has the wirerd remote so I can install the stereo and disc change in the cabin and controll it from the outside. what do you think sound I run a amp for the 6X9's too or just run them of the stereo, plus I was going to run (1) free air 12 and the 10's will be wired in series or parallel? If you think of a good Amp for my application let me know.
Here's what I'd consider doing... One small 2 or 4 channel amp with a line level(RCA's) attenuator for the cabin. This will allow you to decrease the volume to conversation level if needed. 1 4 channel amp for your new 6x9's and 1 500watt amp to run 3 2ohm 10's with the dvc's wired in series (2.7ohms) :)
Or you can run 2 5channel amps if you just want to run 2 subwoofers...

sammtron
12-09-2004, 02:40 PM
Looks good Samtron, but it looks like the floor is obstructing your ports. I bet it would really scream if the ports had a little more room to breath. :)
it is 3" of the floor it is hitting 158db's at the back seat. how high shoud it be off the floor i have lot of room to play with. thanks jc

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
12-09-2004, 03:23 PM
JUST REMEMBER... IF THERE IS SO MUCH AS 1 AIR LEAK IN ANY OF THE THE DIFFERANT ORDER BOXES... IT'S AN INFININT BAFFLE! MY $.02 SAYS A 3/4 OR 1 IN THICK SEALED BOX (THE LONGER THE SIDES THE THICKER THE MATERIAL NEEDED). LAMINATED OUTSIDE WITH BOAT YARD RESIN AND ON THE INSIDE A COMBINATION OF RESIN AND MDF SAWDUST(JUST ENOUGH TO MAKE IT LIKE MOIST BREAD DOUGH). SCREW AND GLUE EVERY WOOD JOINT. SOME PEOPLE LIKE PARTITIONS IN THE BOXES TO ISOLATE EACH DRIVER, I BELIEVE THE DRIVERS COUPLE BETTER WITH OUT WALLS IN BETWEEN. BRACE THE S**T OF THE INSIDE(AND DEDUCT THE AREA FROM THE TOTAL VOLUME)(LxWxH/1728*.9= INTERIOR VOLUME). WHEN YOU MAKE THE BOX ABOUT 10% SMALLER THAN CALLED FOR BY THE WOOFER MAKER YOU CAN USUALLY GET MORE OUT OF THE 2ND AND THIRD OCTIVES LIKE FOR TODAY'S MUSIC. IF YOU WANT TO SOUND BEST WITH CLASSICAL, MAKE THE BOX ABOUT 10%(OR SO) BIGGER, IT FLATTENS OUT THE CURVE AND YOU GET SOME REALLY DEEP 1ST AND 2ND OCTIVE BASS.
I'VE BUILD SEALED, VENTED, ISOBARIC SEALED, ISO PORTED, AND I ALWAYS COME BACK TO A HIGH QUALITY WOOFER IN A SEALED BOX.
BE CAREFUL WHEN YOU PARRELLE YOUR WOOFERS, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE AMP IS BRIDGED! PARRELLE (2) 4 OHM WOOFERS AND NO PROBLEM FOR A BETTER AMP, A 2 OHM LOAD. NOW PLAY THEM ON A BRIDGED AMP. THE AMP IS SEEING A 1 OHM LOAD..OOOPS I HOPE IT'S A GREAT AMP OR IT WILL COOK! THE MOST CRAZY BOX I MADE WAS 2 ISOBARRIC 12'S, FACE TO FACE(MUCH SMALLER BOX NEEDED)IN A 3.5 CU FT BOX WITH A 42 IN X 4 IN VENT. IT PLAYED DOWN TO 18 HZ AT 0dB!...ENJOY, BUT ALWAYS PRACTICE SAFE MUSIC.

ROZ
12-09-2004, 11:58 PM
it is 3" of the floor it is hitting 158db's at the back seat. how high shoud it be off the floor i have lot of room to play with. thanks jc
Rule of thumb is no obstruction closer than less the diameter of the port...
Can't really tell by the pics, but it looked closer than that when compared to the size of the port...
You mic'd 158db, eh? That's a big number for a boat.. As you approach 160db and up in cars, the person building the system is designing his system to blurp frequencies generally for db drag type competition or neighborhood bragging rights..... How much power are you running? What is your port(s) tuned to?

sammtron
12-10-2004, 02:39 PM
yes i mic it. port is tuned to 50 hz. power is all sony head uint sub speakers and amps . 4 600watt amp - mids and high 2 1600 watt amp - subs. i have pic of the install. how do i post pic you can see in the post?

ROZ
12-10-2004, 04:28 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8224
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8225
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8226

sammtron
12-11-2004, 10:34 AM
ok so how do you do that

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
12-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Is That 12 Gauge?, Nice...bill.