PDA

View Full Version : Your opinions please Competitive vs. Extreme trailers

tamalewagon
11-17-2004, 01:20 PM
I need some help from you all. My trailer has unfortunately seen it's last day (unrefurbishable). I am trying to decide between an Extreme or Competitive trailer. The competitive trailers are a bit less expensive, but I don't mind paying more for a better product if that is the case. Opinions?

Mrs. Bordsmnj
11-17-2004, 01:26 PM
We had a Competetive for less than 2 weeks when we first got our boat and by the time we ordered the Extreme and switched them out, the Competetive was already rusting.
There are others reasons why we went with Extreme but I am not sure what they were, something about the tube steel vs. c-channel? :messedup: And maybe something about the quality of the weld joints???
Was that helpful? hahaaha :hammerhea

It's Only Money
11-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Extreme - nothing less.

Tequila-John
11-17-2004, 01:32 PM
We have an Extreme with our new boat. It pulls killer I love it

BADBLOWN572
11-17-2004, 01:33 PM
Mrs. Boardsmnj is correct when it comes to the quality of construction between the two trailers. The Competitive usually is made from "C" channel steel versus the tubular steel of Extreme. The welds on the Extreme are also a lot cleaner on the Extreme. Both trailers should be the same when it comes to rust. If any trailer gets dipped in salt water without being properly prepared, it will cause rust to occur quickly.
Another trailer that I would look at is Zieman (?sp). I have seen some of their new trailers and they look incredible. I would rate some of them above Extreme. From what I understand, they are also about the same price as the Competitive, but with Extreme quality. Just another option.

RiverDave
11-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Between teh 2 I'd pick extreme.. I'd tell them they can keep there Carlisle tires though and request a different brand. LOL
RD

cdog
11-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Extreme - nothing less.
I Agree! My Extreme has got to be the nicest trailer i've ever pulled. The brakes work great and it's finish is awsome.

tamalewagon
11-17-2004, 01:35 PM
Rusting within two weeks? Hmm :idea: Impressive!

tamalewagon
11-17-2004, 01:38 PM
The boat I will be trailering is a California Performance and weights next to nothing (comparatively speaking), so will taking the breaks off be an absolutely rediculous choice? Thoughts please...

BarryMac
11-17-2004, 01:39 PM
Don't know how much help I will be but here is my experience, my Carrera sits atop a Competitive, it has got to be the squeekiest trailer I have ever pulled, it pulls nice and straight but every bump sounds like I'm runnin over a heard of mice, sharp turns and I am afraid that it is going to break apart, it cracks and pops loudly, it's been under the boat since new 01 so I am not ready to change it out, when I do Extreme will be getting my business for sure...

OGShocker
11-17-2004, 02:00 PM
Extreme! nuf said.

Ziggy
11-17-2004, 02:01 PM
a Competitive, it has got to be the squeekiest trailer I have ever pulled, it pulls nice and straight but every bump sounds like I'm runnin over a heard of mice, ..
I think Hensley Trailers(no longer in biz) were the most notorious for squeekiness...I had one that never shut up but it did tow well.
My new boat sits on an Extreme and I will say that so far I am Extremely happy with it...quality welds and great finish on it.

BLOWN HOWARD
11-17-2004, 02:03 PM
My all time favorite is Ellis Trailers :skull:

superdave013
11-17-2004, 02:04 PM
I have owned 2 Competitive trailers and they always held up just fine.
One was a 1974 and the one I still have is a 1978.
I'm not saying they are better but they can't be that bad. Just about every classic old boat is sitting on one.

SoCalHD
11-17-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm very pleased with the Zieman trailer that my Caliber came on. Not at all like they used to be!!

Waldo
11-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Don't know how much help I will be but here is my experience, my Carrera sits atop a Competitive, it has got to be the squeekiest trailer I have ever pulled, it pulls nice and straight but every bump sounds like I'm runnin over a heard of mice, sharp turns and I am afraid that it is going to break apart, it cracks and pops loudly, it's been under the boat since new 01 so I am not ready to change it out, when I do Extreme will be getting my business for sure...
Dude, so true. I have the same boat and trailer and the thing squeaks and freaks like crazy!

Mrs CP 19
11-17-2004, 02:06 PM
We have a Competitive under our 19" California Performance. Small lightweight boat, no brakes...has been a good trailer to date and is 9 years old now. my .02...Jill

Charley
11-17-2004, 02:14 PM
Extreme!

syke-o
11-17-2004, 02:20 PM
i have had an extreme for almost a year and no problems to date :)

tamalewagon
11-17-2004, 02:20 PM
Thanks Jill...almost identical boats. :) Mine's a 20' (but a "whacker"). The trailer held for 18 years and has had it. Usually products aren't built the same as they were when they first hit the market place, hence my questioning both products for todays quality.

That Guy
11-17-2004, 02:24 PM
I'm very pleased with the Zieman trailer that my Caliber came on. Not at all like they used to be!!
We like our Zeiman as well. Pulls very nicely, really quiet and seems to be built very solidly as well. About $1000 less than an Extreme for our boat. Good luck.....
:)

THOR
11-17-2004, 02:33 PM
I had a triple competitive before my last boat and now I have an Extreme. Although the triple competitive pulled great, it creacked and sqeaked at every turn. On sharp turns it sounded like the rails were going to snap. Go with Extreme.

Evo22
11-17-2004, 02:34 PM
I think Hensley Trailers(no longer in biz) were the most notorious for squeekiness...I had one that never shut up but it did tow well.
My new boat sits on an Extreme and I will say that so far I am Extremely happy with it...quality welds and great finish on it.
Hensley trailers is now called Intertech I work with alan on a bunch of different projects (offroad/street/studio/fabrication) as far as squeaking goes I'm not sure what you are talking about? metal, wood? He has mostly been building custom trailers for customers more than muliple one's for boat companies check this out http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63482 I have owned a few manufactures trailers and I will put one of his hands down against any other manufacurer's his quality and attention to detail is by far the best out there when extreme first came out there were an awsome trailer but now he has gotten so big it's just a production trailer as doesnt get the attention to detail it did when they were a new company just my opinion!!

Havasu_Dreamin
11-17-2004, 02:53 PM
Another trailer that I would look at is Zieman (?sp). I have seen some of their new trailers and they look incredible. I would rate some of them above Extreme. From what I understand, they are also about the same price as the Competitive, but with Extreme quality. Just another option.
Having recently, within the last year, been faced with this dilema and having to chose between the Zieman that the builder provides or paying extra for the Extreme.............we should have gone with the Extreme. We had some modificatiosn made to the trailer and Zieman screwed them up from the get go and fixed it as best they could but it's still not exactly what I want but at this point, I can't get it fixed any further.
In hindsight, we should have spent the $3k to get the Extreme or made Zieman build a brand new trailer for us. Other than the ladder that they screwed up on the only other complaint I have about the Zieman is the bolts on the underside of the bunks are not stainless and after one season of use at Havasu are already rusting. Oh yeah, an additional complaint, the paint is already chipping on the tongue.

cc322
11-17-2004, 02:56 PM
At the time we ordered our boat our Lavey came standard with the Zieman, the extreme was another 700.00 option. We chose the Zieman, so far it has been trouble free, but it just sits out in havasu, so it's to the launch ramp and back, with the ocasional trip to mead. I did break the safety pin latch and drove it to Zieman in havasu and they switched it out to a new one in about 30 seconds free. If you want to talk to someone at Zieman ask for Trevor, he made sure mine came with L.E.D lights instead, nice guy. Also keep in mind that Zieman makes more than boat trailers all our trailers at work are Zieman, for back hoes, loaders etc, heavy equipment trailers. Not trying to push Zieman but the 700.00 in my pocket is nice. Good luck, remember they are not the same pwc trailers that Zieman is famous for.

LHC30Victory
11-17-2004, 03:01 PM
I suspect that all companies have their "lemons." In recent years I have only owned the Zieman that came with our Advantage. It's a 3 axle, sq tube deal and tows very nicely. No squeaks, rattles or undue rust - keep in mind all metal will rust. The bolts on the bunks are not rusting like HH has had an experience with.
For the $$$, the new Zieman trailers work well.

tamalewagon
11-17-2004, 03:14 PM
Thanks gang...I just spoke to Brian at Extreme and made the deal.

Troubles No More
11-17-2004, 03:38 PM
I have an Ellis trailer that came with my Howard and I have been very happy with the trailer. I had a few modifications (Lager steps, 4-wheel disk brakes, extra lights, back up lights) done with no complaints. Ellis is a small shop in Sylmar Ca. and I think his quality and attention to detail is very outstanding.
my .02

Ziggy
11-17-2004, 03:41 PM
Hensley trailers is now called Intertech I work with alan on a bunch of different projects (offroad/street/studio/fabrication) as far as squeaking goes I'm not sure what you are talking about? metal, wood? He has mostly been building custom trailers for customers more than muliple one's for boat companies check this out http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63482 I have owned a few manufactures trailers and I will put one of his hands down against any other manufacurer's his quality and attention to detail is by far the best out there when extreme first came out there were an awsome trailer but now he has gotten so big it's just a production trailer as doesnt get the attention to detail it did when they were a new company just my opinion!!
I wasn't bagging on the Hensley, just saying the suspension squeeked to all holy hell. It had good weld seams and towed very well(Made in 93). Only one other thing was the fender mounts and/or steps rusted rather early considering it NEVER saw any salt water. I got the impression from three different boat shops that heard me pull in and ask if it was a Hensley(without having seen my trailer) that they were well know as squeekers.....my guess was the leaf packs he may have used back then.

BarryMac
11-17-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks gang...I just spoke to Brian at Extreme and made the deal.
Ballpark, what is a new extreme run???

checkr'd past
11-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Had a competitive trailer on my first 95 commander. Nothing but problems,no stainless fasters anywhere,constant brake maintenace and the worst customer service I ever encountered.

BoatFloating
11-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Extreme by far. 100 times better customer service.....

tamalewagon
11-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Ballpark, what is a new extreme run???
With all the bells and whistles...approx $5K-6K.

dicudmore
11-17-2004, 04:02 PM
With all the bells and whistles...approx $5K-6K.
good luck with the new trailer :D
they build a nice product, I'm sure you'll be happy with it...
Zieman under mine

Evo22
11-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Extreme by far. 100 times better customer service.....
customer service c'mon rock I'm the best at customers service I will do back flips over extreme

Evo22
11-17-2004, 04:08 PM
With all the bells and whistles...approx $5K-6K. what bells and what whistles?? I will give a you a hot boat deal give me a call Brian 661-286-9997

hava life
11-17-2004, 04:10 PM
I had problems with the competitive trailer we had when we bought a pontoon last year. The axle was loose and twisted braking the brake lines. A tire fell off,this could have been the boat dealers fault. A bunk rail came loose, and a few more problems. We only pulled it in town at Havasu luckily. Our other boat has a extreme and I like it, we have pulled that one all over and no problems. I would not expect problems with trailers but the pontoon was a shock to me with all the serious problems we had and it was only about 6 miles to the launch ramp.

Evo22
11-17-2004, 04:14 PM
I wasn't bagging on the Hensley, just saying the suspension squeeked to all holy hell. It had good weld seams and towed very well(Made in 93). Only one other thing was the fender mounts and/or steps rusted rather early considering it NEVER saw any salt water. I got the impression from three different boat shops that heard me pull in and ask if it was a Hensley(without having seen my trailer) that they were well know as squeekers.....my guess was the leaf packs he may have used back then. I got ya .....it's cool I wasnt tryin to jump on ya all trailer builders buy there parts from most of the same supliers but as far as assembly and construction he does do a great job :)

Ziggy
11-17-2004, 04:21 PM
Had a competitive trailer on my first 95 commander. Nothing but problems,no stainless fasters anywhere,constant brake maintenace and the worst customer service I ever encountered.
Just this past weekend I read a older ***boat mag that had you in it..in the boat name section they put together :smile: :smile: ...

jbtrailerjim
11-17-2004, 04:37 PM
The squeaks and creaks you some of you here; is your leaf spring suspension on your trailer. The new torsion axles most of the trailer builders are useing, eliminate the squeaks you here.

tamalewagon
11-17-2004, 05:05 PM
what bells and what whistles?? I will give a you a hot boat deal give me a call Brian 661-286-9997
Brian...thanks again and great to talk to you.

throwerb
11-17-2004, 05:11 PM
U-haul for me.

voodoomedman
11-17-2004, 05:49 PM
Just buy yourself a new Ultra. They come standard with an Extreme trailer with a spare tire. :)

BoatFloating
11-17-2004, 06:09 PM
customer service c'mon rock I'm the best at customers service I will do back flips over extreme
Where are my grills sucka.......
:rollside:

checkr'd past
11-17-2004, 07:12 PM
Thats the new commander you saw in the ***boat name contest Ziggy, nice of you to notice

tamalewagon
11-17-2004, 08:51 PM
thanks again for all of your input...it made my final decision much easier! :D

Evo22
11-18-2004, 05:55 AM
Where are my grills sucka.......
:rollside:I cant find anybody to cut them at a decent price..I need to talk to RD but the first 6 are yours :D biatch

Evo22
11-18-2004, 05:56 AM
Brian...thanks again and great to talk to you.no problem thank you did you get my fax??? :D

SJRS1
11-18-2004, 06:33 AM
Extreme is the only way to go.....

CJ
11-18-2004, 07:39 AM
All of my friends in excavating swear by their Zieman trailers.
Four years ago I heard about Extreme having random problems with odd tire wear, like from poor alignment of the axles. I have had one for four years and have loved it. They look better than any trailer out there.
I just ordered my new boat on a galvanized Extreme. If you are going into the big lake at all, get galvanized!

voodoomedman
11-18-2004, 07:53 AM
All of my friends in excavating swear by their Zieman trailers.
Four years ago I heard about Extreme having random problems with odd tire wear, like from poor alignment of the axles. I have had one for four years and have loved it. They look better than any trailer out there.
I just ordered my new boat on a galvanized Extreme. If you are going into the big lake at all, get galvanized!
There was a bad batch of valve stems earlier this year causing blowouts... Not extremes fault but tire manufacturer. If your caps say Germany and you got your trailer around june of 04 then you need to give extreme a call.

tamalewagon
11-18-2004, 10:11 AM
no problem thank you did you get my fax??? :D
Got the fax...see your PM's and email...

Unforgiven
11-18-2004, 11:45 AM
GO WITH EXTREME.....
best trailer I ever had!!

Havaparty
11-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Extreme - nothing less.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
They are the best.

tamalewagon
11-18-2004, 08:36 PM
:d :d