PDA

View Full Version : Softwater system at river house and water shut off

Rocknpalms
04-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Just bought a river house and it has a Culligin soft water system. The kind with the salt tank. I dont like to leave the main water value on when I leave in case of a water pipe leak or break.
Now I know the water system is suppose to cycle every few days. What will happen if the water is shut off. Also what will happen if the water in the salt tank evaporates?
I will be calling Culligin to get there point of view but I would like information from a non bias group and hear your ideas and comments.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
04-16-2006, 07:45 PM
I have the same system and I always shut off my water when I leave the house, I have not had a problem yet. I have had it for 4 years

Cheap Thrills
04-16-2006, 08:32 PM
If it cycles with an electric timer like mine does I would kill the power to the timer also if you leave it running it will cycle the valves dry which may not be a good thing . if it works off of kenetic energy (water flow) like the kenetico softeners it should be fine. if the water dries up in the salt tank refill it and let it sit a while before cycleing.
Just my .02.
C.T. :wink:

boater012
04-16-2006, 08:40 PM
We always left the the water on aboput an eighth of a turn so that it always a little bit of flow through the system. thats what culligan reccomended to me.

SurfOnH20
04-16-2006, 08:42 PM
Like Shake, I just turn everything off when I leave. When I return, I just turn it all back on. No problems in 10 years. Congrats on the new house !!

KineticoH20
04-16-2006, 10:22 PM
If it cycles with an electric timer like mine does I would kill the power to the timer also if you leave it running it will cycle the valves dry which may not be a good thing . if it works off of kenetic energy (water flow) like the kenetico softeners it should be fine. if the water dries up in the salt tank refill it and let it sit a while before cycleing.
Just my .02.
C.T. :wink:
In my opinion a kINETICO is the only softener anyone should own, but then again im impartial since I have been selling them for 24 years.

RiverForUs
04-16-2006, 10:36 PM
I just had mt w/s and r/o installed at the river house a couple of weeks ago (not Culligan though) The plumber said no problem turining the water off, However, I have the mechanical timer that's set to regenerate every 900 gallons. SO, no water running, no regeneration cycles!

TRIMM MANN
04-17-2006, 11:51 AM
I always shut my water off and my hot water heater(electric), never a problem. Great piece of mind not worring about a leak.

djunkie
04-17-2006, 11:54 AM
I always shut my water off and my hot water heater(electric), never a problem. Great piece of mind not worring about a leak.
Same here. Been over 2 years now and I haven't had a problem with my culligan system.

lakewake
04-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Sorry to hear you inherited a Culligan in your house. What you have is a Pig with Lipstick. You are always going to have problems with that thing and the dealer network associated with it. Culligan has been sold 5 times in the last ten years. If you want a great system for a vacation home or your main place of residence call Don at Kinetico. He is smthopr8tr on the HB forum. His number is 714-414-1066. Kinetico is Consumer Digest Best Buy and Consumer Reports top pick. The equipment is non-electric and does not need to cycle every few days. You leave ,it sits and waits with the water on or off. You come back, it goes right back to work. You never run out of soft waterÂ…Ever. I have had several different brands over the last 25 years and Kinetico is the one that really works all the time.

KineticoH20
04-20-2006, 03:25 PM
Sorry to hear you inherited a Culligan in your house. What you have is a Pig with Lipstick. You are always going to have problems with that thing and the dealer network associated with it. Culligan has been sold 5 times in the last ten years. If you want a great system for a vacation home or your main place of residence call Don at Kinetico. He is smthopr8tr on the HB forum. His number is 714-414-1066. Kinetico is Consumer Digest Best Buy and Consumer Reports top pick. The equipment is non-electric and does not need to cycle every few days. You leave ,it sits and waits with the water on or off. You come back, it goes right back to work. You never run out of soft waterÂ…Ever. I have had several different brands over the last 25 years and Kinetico is the one that really works all the time.
Thx :)