PDA

View Full Version : 06 Tahoe Lower & Air Bag Suspension???

sigepmock
04-16-2006, 08:02 PM
So we're heading back from the in-laws and the wife says......I think I'd like to lower the Tahoe and put it on bags.....I say ok .....you know that isn't cheap....and she says.....so how much did you spend on that truck of yours...??? and I say ....I'll check into to lowering you Tahoe and putting it on bags.... :rolleyes:
So I know about going up....how about going down...I know Air Ride makes some sick stuff how about for an 06 Chevy Tahoe 2x.....She wants to keep the 20's that she has but wouldn't mind it a little lower and I think the airbags is the way to go to keep the nice ride and/or improve it and still be able to tow the boat right???
Any help would be appreciated...... :rollside:
Thanks,
Chris

TRUMP TIGHT
04-16-2006, 08:24 PM
So we're heading back from the in-laws and the wife says......I think I'd like to lower the Tahoe and put it on bags.....I say ok .....you know that isn't cheap....and she says.....so how much did you spend on that truck of yours...??? and I say ....I'll check into to lowering you Tahoe and putting it on bags.... :rolleyes:
So I know about going up....how about going down...I know Air Ride makes some sick stuff how about for an 06 Chevy Tahoe 2x.....She wants to keep the 20's that she has but wouldn't mind it a little lower and I think the airbags is the way to go to keep the nice ride and/or improve it and still be able to tow the boat right???
Thanks,
Chris
If you bag it and expect to lower it more then an inch or two you will probly end up having to do some cutting in the wheel wells. You can avoid this by not driving it with it dropped more than about an inch. Your problem will be in turning, just like in a lifted truck you may get some rub. Towing will not be a problem if you get a bag that is rated at a high enough weight. As far as the ride anyone i know with bags has them to go as low as possible so to drive a lot of them are fully inflated making the ride very bouncy. You can avoid this by using you preffered ride height as the mediun. I would suggest looking into air shocks and explore your options. If you live in the so cal area number one in air ride suspensions is probly MIC Master Image Customs. They are the first ones to get all the new models to lay frame and they make all their own parts. If you want the sick sh*t get nitrogen with .5 inch or more valves and tubing. Happy hunting!

tahitijet
04-16-2006, 09:06 PM
Thanks,
Chris
Chris,
Give me a call i can set you up with all the info and all the parts you need.
you can lower that thing pretty low and swap the rear for bags for towing or bag it all around. 20's is no big deal for bags.. You'll be able to drop almost 7" from stock before you'll have to start cutting the frame in the rear. Fenders wont be an issue at all on 20's
If your goal is just to get a little lower i'd save your money and do a static drop on the front and put a bag in the rear. Setup right you'll ride way better then stock and get more then enough lift and capacity to tow any size boat you feel comfortable towing with a 1/2 ton..
Give me a call I can recomend a few shops in your area that do good work..

GRUNION
04-17-2006, 06:08 AM
Definatly bag the whole truck it will ride way better than stock. and you will definatly be able to tow anything you want. If you have any questions or need any parts let me know I own one of the bigest bag shops in AZ. heres a pic of my tow pig.
http://www.grunionfabrication.com/features/ssm6-05/images/ssm6-05-2.jpg

sigepmock
04-17-2006, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the info guys....I think she's not wanting to drag the frame ...just looking for good looking slightly lower stance but nothing so low that we have daily driving issues, like rubbing or bottoming or anything. Here's her Tahoe:
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5495Tahoe1-med.jpg
It's the last year of the old body style, she didn't like the 07's interior. The running boards and lower front valance are gone, they got in the way.
So who makes a good kit? Up front do you replace the control arms or do you just us a drop spindle with a coil-over type bag/shock. How about the Rear? It's got the coil spring 5 link I'm pretty sure. Just replace the spring with a bag?
I helped a buddy install an Air Ride bag system on a 69 Camaro, it came with a-arms, bags with adjustable shocks, everything. That car rode like a Cady and handled like a modern Corvette. Any kits available like this for the Tahoe?
Thanks for all the help.
Chris

Beer-30
04-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Works just fine. If I can tow mine from Scottsdale to Bako, you can easily tow yours. The wife's has factory AutoRide, which has automatic ride leveling with air. It's dropped 2/3. Has 22s. It never complained a bit. I was more than impressed.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/2433tomom.jpg

sigepmock
04-17-2006, 11:06 AM
Looks good.
I think that's the way we're heading 2/3" drop with an Autoride style Rear bag system.
Any SoCal shop recomendations?

GRUNION
04-17-2006, 11:47 AM
Try Devious customs as a shop owner in Az thats who I would recomend.

sigepmock
04-17-2006, 12:22 PM
Try Devious customs as a shop owner in Az thats who I would recomend.
Thanks.

GRUNION
04-17-2006, 12:45 PM
Thanks.
No problem tell Jeff I sent you He will take care of you.

tahitijet
04-17-2006, 08:07 PM
I'd second devious but there gonna be expensive.
as far as the kit if your looking to stay static up front and only want roughly a 2" drop then just put new keys in the front and shorter shocks. No need for an arm for only 2" of drop. It'll ride stock turned down. In the rear install the bag for more then a 3" drop that way you can air the bag up and be level for daily driving If you can handle the install any suspension shop can swap the front keys. I can build you brackets for the rear that will allow for a direct bolt in and set you up with the tank/lines/compressor/valves etc that you'll need.
Now if your wanting to do a 2/3 static with overload i'll look tomorrrow if anyone is making a kit if not I can make you brackets for that as well we do custom overload seutps all the time.

Bobbo541
04-23-2006, 04:26 PM
I used DJM suspension on my 04 GMC longbed ext. cab. The front is a 2" lower control arm and the rear is a 4" hanger/shackle kit. I also changed the rear shocks to KYB's and put air ride bags on it and it works great.

sigepmock
04-24-2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. We're getting closer...as soon as work slows down a bit, I'm going to run by a few shops and get some prices and check them out.
Thanks again,
Chris

andy01
04-24-2006, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. We're getting closer...as soon as work slows down a bit, I'm going to run by a few shops and get some prices and check them out.
Thanks again,
Chris
I might take those 20's off your hands if you do go with 22's or 24's. I was going to do Christinas Tahoe but have decided I have better things to spend the money on......... SSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :) And don't let my wife see your wifes Tahoe when it's done.........but you do, do something let me know, I wouldn't mind picking up some stock 20 take offs for hers.
Andy