PDA

View Full Version : Is Havasu driving the snowbirds out of town too!

hot_diggity_dog
11-19-2004, 06:54 AM
With all of the talk about the SoCal boaters noise issues and the money they bring to the City not helping the economy of Havasu. :idea: I thought I would post this from the local paper website forums.
Is the new Attitude of Havasu residents going to impact the future of the City? :confused:
If they don't take the right approach and realize how the City was developed and how it evolved to what it is today it sure will! :devil:
Posted by: Love Havasu 2
"While everyone is talking about the boaters, I want to know where all our snowbirds are. Has the town finally priced them out too? For those of us who don't make money directly from boating, the snowbirds are our lifeline. Many of the ones that have been coming here for years, when Havasu was a bargain, must be in complete sticker shock. I notice that the RV'ers are increasingly making their neighborhoods out in the middle of the desert. I live in an RV resort here full time. By Nov. this place used to be buzzing with people walking, riding around on their golfcarts, and having their happy hours. This year? It's dead. The park is eerily quite, and most of the RV spaces are empty. I haven't even had the chance to become irritated driving around town this year. Where are they all? If they all come after the holidays this year, that means we have just 3 months to make the money we need to last through the lean months. (I've always said you have to switch to selling beer in the summer). The handwriting is on the wall. The middle class squeeze, coupled with 30% less snowbirds, and the seasonal nature of our town, Havasu will be left with only the rich, who will loudly whine when they can't find anyone to do their chores for them. Well, on second thought, maybe they will have plenty of help when Havasu becomes a haven for the illegal immigrants, because all the current workers here don't want to live 20 people to a house, and have to leave to survive. A few have benefited nicely from the RE boom, but there sure hasn't been a complete trickle down effect. Does anybody else see what I'm seeing? It is such an odd town with so many different forces at work, no wonder we can't get a handle on our important issues and create a stable and wonderful town. Just the price of gas fluctuating, affects our basic stability. I guess if we haven't already earned our retirement, we really don't deserve to live a "resort" lifestyle. Living in a resort can really be LESS pleasant. You see all the possibilities for fun, but when you have to work 24/7 to keep the roof over your head, you don't get to have very much of it. Is it just me, or is business slow all around"?
Love Havasu 2
The reply from: az tech
"LH2: Thank you for such a well thought out and insightful post. I have made many posts along the same lines but you have managed to combine all of them into a single lucid stream of thought that even the most self absorbed reader should be able to understand. Yes, business is slow all around. Perhaps because the weather has been unusually mild across the country so far this season. My point in previous posts is that the city does not have a plan for the future that does not depend on tourism and winter visitors. The growth and economic viability of LHC are dependant upon it's full time residents... the same people who are discovering that they can no longer afford to live here no matter how hard they work at their multiple minimum wage jobs".
az tech
Posted by: snowbirds not coming
"Loving Havasu 2 - The reason the snowbirds are going elsewhere is because of the aweful attitudes of you folks that live in Havasu. Keep it up and your town will dry of the snowbirds and the summer tourists. Haven't you all been asking for this? For us to not come to Havasu and you can survive without us? Better watch what you ask for".
SnowBirdsNotComin'
Just thought it was interesting to see the views from some of the locals.
HDD :cool:

Stealth Marine
11-19-2004, 07:25 AM
This town needs to go into therapy for multiple personality disorder.

Tequila-John
11-19-2004, 07:26 AM
WE always have PARKER :)

Unforgiven
11-19-2004, 07:27 AM
Damm, I hope it doesn't work out like that...I'm going CONDO shopping right after this outage...was hoping to rent out to snowbirds next year....looks like I'll have to let MOM and DAD hang there for free..... :idea: :idea: :idea:

jdogginla
11-19-2004, 07:36 AM
Damm, I hope it doesn't work out like that...I'm going CONDO shopping right after this outage...was hoping to rent out to snowbirds next year....looks like I'll have to let MOM and DAD hang there for free..... :idea: :idea: :idea:
I too am going condo shopping.......in the coming weeks. In my research.....unless you are using the condo for your personal use during the summer, I think you can make enough and bank enough from summer rentals to let your parents stay there for free. :mix:

Ion
11-19-2004, 07:47 AM
Funny...since late Sept, early Oct, I have been experiencing grocery store isle gridlock by bluehairs, just as much as I have in past years.

Unforgiven
11-19-2004, 07:54 AM
I too am going condo shopping.......in the coming weeks. In my research.....unless you are using the condo for your personal use during the summer, I think you can make enough and bank enough from summer rentals to let your parents stay there for free. :mix:
I had to think about the free part...lets see..." Mom and Dad, when I first brought the race trailer and hydro home you wanted to charge me storage (Dad don't like boat racing).so it went to my buddies house. Now that you two are retired and spending my inherintance like it's going out of style...well it's gonna cost you....1000.00 a month"
ok ok I'm not that bad, they did bring me into this world, and as my dad says "I can still take you out" I think it's time I hide his guns when he stays at the condo for free... :wink:

LHC30Victory
11-19-2004, 08:47 AM
Now THAT"S funny

Stealth Marine
11-19-2004, 09:20 AM
Now THAT"S funny
I have lived in a lot of towns.
But Havasu is in a class all of its own.

Essex502
11-19-2004, 09:29 AM
Well I hope someone slaps them up side the head as I am making some major investements there. I truly haven't met any locals I don't like. There must be a core bunch of bozos somewhere that are causing the difficulty.

HighRoller
11-19-2004, 09:32 AM
Don't forget Havasu has to compete with Laughlin. If you've ever seen Laughlin in January or February you'll know where all the snowbirds are :mad:

WaTchTheGelCoat
11-19-2004, 09:36 AM
WE always have PARKER :)
Hell Yea!

jdogginla
11-19-2004, 09:36 AM
I have lived in a lot of towns.
But Havasu is in a class all of its own.
Not sure if that is good or bad????

Stealth Marine
11-19-2004, 11:14 AM
Not sure if that is good or bad????
Havasu is suffering from a MAJOR SPLIT PERSONALITY.
You have two totally opposing camps in this town that have very little in common with each other.
The OLDER retired crowd of both Full-Time residents and Transient "Snow-Birds" both of which do NOT want to see their little town in the desert change.
The YOUNGER active lifestyle crowd that lives here full time or has a weekend home here and live for the LAKE or the surrounding DESERT as a place to spend all of their available free time. They tend to want to see the town GROW as much as possible.
Thus the two camps clash on darn near everything that goes on in this town.

shadow
11-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Funny...since late Sept, early Oct, I have been experiencing grocery store isle gridlock by bluehairs, just as much as I have in past years.
I'd have to agree.Went to walmart at lunch the other day to pick up a card for the wifes b-day and there was standing room only.bunch of slow moving with nothing to do and nowhere to go blue hairs causing grid lock :mad: .
The streets are also moving slower and sirens in the distance daily from auto accidents and heart attacks.When the season changes you can tell by the sirens in town.My drive time to work has doubled,used to be 5min and now it's 10 due to getting stuck behind a snowbird.
"snow birds taste like chicken,the other white meat" :eat:

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 12:14 PM
I was not very impressed with the city two weeks ago when I was there.
I will say the guys at Jacks Auto were very cool but that was it. I think it was that they had a cool logo on the shirts Jacks auto with a Sanger hydro on it in the back ground.
Jim

Stealth Marine
11-19-2004, 01:21 PM
I was not very impressed with the city two weeks ago when I was there.
I will say the guys at Jacks Auto were very cool but that was it. I think it was that they had a cool logo on the shirts Jacks auto with a Sanger hydro on it in the back ground.
Jim
Don't get me wrong here.
I still think this town WILL turn into another version of Palm Springs.
In the end, I dont' think there will be much choice but to go that route.
Problem is, it will be a long slow painfull process between here and there, with a TON of fighting along the way. In the end, development, recreation, tourism, etc will win out, because at the end of the day, all this city has going for it is the LAKE, and thus the lake will remain the central key to everything that happens in Havasu.
As goes the lake, so goes the city...

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Chris,,
Whats the name of the bolt place accross the street from you ???
Jim

Essex502
11-19-2004, 01:42 PM
As the old folks die off the more rational, pro-growth folks will replace them...or so I hope. Growth within reason....Havasu doesn't need any more Wal-Farts! Maybe some fast food on the south end near the new Bashas?

Ziggy
11-19-2004, 01:43 PM
Interesting posts from the locals and it seems one snowbird.... :idea:
I've got people booking my place for 2006 and 2007 already aside from this season too.... :rollside:
Could possibly be that the snowbirds aren't driving in with their rigs but staying at houses instead, RV takes alot of fuel ya know. Like Ion said, there seems to be plenty of them around already...the grocery and Wal-MArt's are one of the best ways to measure it :D

That Guy
11-19-2004, 02:00 PM
Don't get me wrong here.
I still think this town WILL turn into another version of Palm Springs.
In the end, I dont' think there will be much choice but to go that route.
Problem is, it will be a long slow painfull process between here and there, with a TON of fighting along the way. In the end, development, recreation, tourism, etc will win out, because at the end of the day, all this city has going for it is the LAKE, and thus the lake will remain the central key to everything that happens in Havasu.
As goes the lake, so goes the city...
Stealth, I think you are exactly right. The economics will take over and with so much transient money flowing into town, the development, recreation, tourism card will come out on top. I particularly think your final comment is exactly right on.."As goes the lake, so goes the city..."

shadow
11-19-2004, 02:12 PM
As the old folks die off the more rational, pro-growth folks will replace them...or so I hope. Growth within reason....Havasu doesn't need any more Wal-Farts! Maybe some fast food on the south end near the new Bashas?
We need a Cosco! :idea:
Lowes is already in the beginning stages.

cc322
11-19-2004, 02:40 PM
My snowbirds will be in my condo from Dec1 to March 31 four months is good for snowbirds. My parents have a condo in Carlsbad and they have had a very hard time this year renting it out, but it goes for 2400 a month. compared to 950.00 for my Havasu condo. Talking with other's it has been slow all over this year. I dont think they will stop coming to Havasu. The weathere is to nice compared to where they come from imo :D

Stealth Marine
11-19-2004, 02:48 PM
Chris,,
Jim
The only thing close to that is a tool shop called "Top Gun".
But I don't know of any Nut & Bolt Shop ??

Stealth Marine
11-19-2004, 02:49 PM
My guess is that you will begin to see more development on that end of town as the new cherryvale development really gets going.
That should give the southend of town a good kick in the pants for new homes.

Stealth Marine
11-19-2004, 02:52 PM
Lowes is a DONE DEAL.
They bought the property where Eliminator and Zeiman Trailers were.
They promptly evicted everyone and only Zeiman is left as their contract allowed them up to 12 months to vacate.
But they have already come and told us they are shutting down the opperation and that all of our trailers will be coming in from Phoenix in 60 days time.
At that point, Lowes will be ready to begin demolition and then construction.

HighRoller
11-19-2004, 03:02 PM
Havasu is suffering from a MAJOR SPLIT PERSONALITY.
You have two totally opposing camps in this town that have very little in common with each other.
The OLDER retired crowd of both Full-Time residents and Transient "Snow-Birds" both of which do NOT want to see their little town in the desert change.
The YOUNGER active lifestyle crowd that lives here full time or has a weekend home here and live for the LAKE or the surrounding DESERT as a place to spend all of their available free time. They tend to want to see the town GROW as much as possible.
I don't understand why anybody would want a town to grow as much as possible? Do they want Havasu to be like Orange County with a lake? I guess it's a California thing. Bigger, faster, trendier etc... What about having a small, quiet town that you could go to and escape the rat race? You can improve the quality of a city without turning it into a zoo.

ROZ
11-19-2004, 03:16 PM
HR, it's called survival of a town that's population is growing and now needs industry of some sort to help support it with wages above minimum wage...

ROZ
11-19-2004, 03:20 PM
Well I hope someone slaps them up side the head as I am making some major investements there. I truly haven't met any locals I don't like. There must be a core bunch of bozos somewhere that are causing the difficulty.
Trust me when i say that there are activists in every city who cause great difficulty in even moderate progress...

Stealth Marine
11-19-2004, 03:21 PM
I don't understand why anybody would want a town to grow as much as possible? Do they want Havasu to be like Orange County with a lake? I guess it's a California thing. Bigger, faster, trendier etc... What about having a small, quiet town that you could go to and escape the rat race? You can improve the quality of a city without turning it into a zoo.
The problem with Havasu for the average joe are the wages.
There are LOADS of people that want to work here.
As a result wages are very low, and most people that live here work more and play a whole lot less than they would like to.
Real growth will mean better employment for full time residents here and a better quality of living for their families.

slowinhavasu
11-19-2004, 03:24 PM
This city was started with the tourist in mind. It will die by the tourist. We moved here to slow down and live where we vacationed, raise our kids away from the city mess.
The mess is coming to us!
We are young 40ish, and know growth will prevail. You can go with the flow or MOVE. Quit bitchen about it and trying to bring all your big city RULES. You want every third house to be the same, same roofs, colors, same pissed off people.F that....
OOPS, kinda got off the subject, yes the snow turds are, yes we are making money from them (not much for our food servers, birds are lousy tippers )so it goes.
Soon all those loud boats with the floosy women walking around bashes in there g strings (try that in your big city market and see if the cops don't show up ) showing there pasties in our local city park AKA the channel.
BLA BLA BLA......
I still love it here, as does our family.Granted The girls want top move to the city so they can go to the malls, I tell to just wait the mall will move to them !!
Have a good night all i'm off to school......

ROZ
11-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Real growth will mean better employment for full time residents here and a better quality of living for their families.
...as the cost of living there will be going up....

1stepcloser
11-19-2004, 03:32 PM
...as the cost of living there will be going up....
Kind of like an industrial age theory of relativity.

ROZ
11-19-2004, 03:33 PM
You can go with the flow or MOVE. Quit bitchen about it and trying to bring all your big city RULES. You want every third house to be the same, same roofs, colors, same pissed off people.
This is up to your city council. My suggestion is to become a part of your community politically if you wish to have a say, and introuduce it and other ideas into your cities general plan...

HPB
11-19-2004, 03:35 PM
Don't forget Havasu has to compete with Laughlin. If you've ever seen Laughlin in January or February you'll know where all the snowbirds are :mad:
He's Right My complex is full of snowbirds and the prices are going up so were to next ????

Stealth Marine
11-19-2004, 03:38 PM
I still love it here, as does our family..
No argument there.
There is not much better than being able to close up shop at 3:30 in the afternoon, pull the trailer to the launch and spend the rest of the afternoon and evening on water that is 90+ degrees in the summer.
When life is good, it is VERY GOOD indeed here in Havasu!!

HighRoller
11-19-2004, 03:47 PM
So what people are saying is that instead of them dealing with the nature of Havasu's small town culture and wages etc, there should be a big city built up so that they can have a job and make a living? Like Slowin said, you want to get away from Cali, but you what you're trying to do is turn Havasu into Cali...here's your sign. The real estate is already spiraling out of control there and you want MORE people to move in? Why can't you just accept the city for what it is? A tourist trap that a few people live in. This California syndrome is pissing a lot of people off. It happened here in Portland too. All the people from Cali moved here thinking it would be paradise and now it's just like frickin LA! They did bring their crap with them. :220v:

Squirtin Thunder
11-19-2004, 03:48 PM
The only thing close to that is a tool shop called "Top Gun".
But I don't know of any Nut & Bolt Shop ??
Aren't you right at a corner accross from an industrial suply place. And are you affiliated with Sleekcraft too ???
Jim
I could be wrong !!!

Keith E. Sayre
11-19-2004, 04:04 PM
I don't know who could possibly say that the old "grey hairs" aren't here yet.
Wrong, they are here! Try driving down the highway. Or better yet, try
negotiating the 4 way stop in town.. You'll note that they're here in volume.
As for the comment about the "young people" boaters who want the town to
grow, I will have to disagree. Everyone that I know that comes to town wants the door to slam right after they're in. I don't know anyone that wants the town to grow except the realtors and the city council. both of whom are getting rich while they destroy this town. Sorry for the rant but that's the
way most boaters feel that I know.
Today there is an editorial in the newspaper that talks about the "loud and
fast boats" that are ruining the fun for the family boaters. I almost fell out
of my chair. First, I believe that a certain "someone" trying to justify his
position on noise has put this person up to the editorial and secondly, I think that my first recollection of Havasu was seeing a loud boat go by with open headers. For the last 35 years, open headers and zoomies ruled this lake
without any arguments. The average boater had all of the California lakes to
play on and the high performance folks had to drive 5 hours to the river, now, the tree huggers have decided that they not only want all of the California lakes but they want the river also. They have invaded Havasu and want to change it to become a haven for old worn out crotchety people on pontoon boats. If their hearing is so bad that social security had to buy them a hearing aid, then why are they complaining about the noise and the speed of the boats? How many old people or as they say "family people" got run down by "fast and loud" boats this year?
Stop trying to make Havasu what it is not. Accept it for what it always has been and always will be. There's plenty of other places that these folks can go to force their will on other unsuspecting old people. After all, what about the rights of us that enjoy the loud and fast boats? Don't our rights count?
Keith Sayre

shadow
11-19-2004, 04:05 PM
Chris,,
Jim
You might be thinking of South Coast stainless.Not close to Stealth though.
Keyes parents just bought the place recently.If you are looking for custom hardware thats the place around here.

BoatPI
11-19-2004, 04:08 PM
It was a very nice small town. I recall maybe 10 boats on the lake on a summer saturday.
As far as Lowes, as I recall the location is in the County, NOT thecity. H Depot has a non building clause for hardware stores.

shadow
11-19-2004, 04:10 PM
It was a very nice small town. I recall maybe 10 boats on the lake on a summer saturday.
As far as Lowes, as I recall the location is in the County, NOT thecity. H Depot has a non building clause for hardware stores.
Correct the location for the new Lowes is county and not city.

HighRoller
11-19-2004, 04:10 PM
I remember driving through the channel any day of the week and being lucky if you saw another boat the whole way through. Now you need FLIR to navigate the fog from idling boat engines.

Stealth Marine
11-19-2004, 04:22 PM
grow, I will have to disagree. Everyone that I know that comes to town wants the door to slam right after they're in. I don't know anyone that wants the town to grow except the realtors and the city council. both of whom are getting rich while they destroy this town. Sorry for the rant but that's the
way most boaters feel that I know. Keith Sayre
Its a good rant...
But I don't know of any of my employees who don't want to make more money or work less hours, or have better shopping opportunities without having to drive 2+ hours to Las Vegas.
I know I cerntainly don't want my 4 kids to have to work 50-60hr weeks for near minimum wages just so they can enjoy the havasu lifestyle.
Its one thing for me to work 10hrs a day, 6 days a week by choice.
its another thing when someone has to do it just to pay the bills.
Havasu lives on low paying service oriented jobs.
And mind you, I was born and raised in Newport Beach and fully understand what I left behind and don't want to see everything bad from California brought to Havasu. But there is a happy medium out there that lets this little town grow and prosper and still remain a bitchen place for boaters to come to on weekends. I say develope the town and focus on the LAKE. The RV crowd will always be welcome down in Quartszite...

Kilrtoy
11-19-2004, 04:22 PM
slowinhavasu]We are young 40ish
Soon all those loud boats with the floosy women walking around bashes in there g strings (try that in your big city market and see if the cops don't show up ) showing there pasties in our local city park AKA the channel.
I think you made a typo, you sound like a young 70ish.
And here in California, we do go to the store in thongs(WOMEN) and have yet to have the cops show up. But then again it is mostly hetrosexual people where I live.

Ziggy
11-19-2004, 04:34 PM
, the tree huggers have decided that they not only want all of the California lakes but they want the river also.
Keith Sayre
And there aren't much in the way of trees around there to begin with :p
Crotchety people have nothing better to do with their time than to bitch and complain....if only they'd focus that negative energy into a positive spin :rollside: that works for all. They all complain but rarely have any positive input towards any sort of resolution.

Stealth Marine
11-22-2004, 07:33 AM
For better or for worse, past Mayor and newly elected city council member Marie Meahle died over the weekend.
So I would guess whoever was #4 on the election ticket just got moved up onto the city council.
That might have some impact on where this town is headed now....

waterwitch
11-22-2004, 07:45 AM
The problem with Havasu for the average joe are the wages.
There are LOADS of people that want to work here.
As a result wages are very low, and most people that live here work more and play a whole lot less than they would like to.
Well said!! To be able to live here, you work
twice as hard, but then again.. we live 4 miles
from the lake. Tit.. for ... Tat...
This is why my husband works in Vegas and
commutes 2 1/2 hours each way... everyday.

Essex502
11-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Well said!! To be able to live here, you work
twice as hard, but then again.. we live 4 miles
from the lake. Tit.. for ... Tat...
This is why my husband works in Vegas and
commutes 2 1/2 hours each way... everyday.
Last time I drove from LHC to Vegas it was 2-1/2 hours at 90+ most of the way! Three weeks ago to be exact!

Stealth Marine
11-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Last time I drove from LHC to Vegas it was 2-1/2 hours at 90+ most of the way! Three weeks ago to be exact!
Sounds like your beginning to slow down in your old age....

Havasu_Dreamin
11-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Costco would be great! I really don't think the Lowes is a good idea though. The town is not big enough to support two large box home improvement stores. Growth for the sake of growth is not good. Managed growth is the way to go.

waterwitch
11-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Yep...at least now they have two lanes open.
Makes it a little safer for him. But.. we couldn't
live here if he didn't. Not many places in Havasu want to
pay full medical, dental, and eye.
Oh... and I did hear Costco was going in out
by Pilot. I guess they are already a member of the
Chamber of Commerce.

Stealth Marine
11-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Chamber of Commerce.
Hmmm
Another COSTCO rumor???
Was yours word of mouth or in print somewhere?
Everyone would LOVE to see a COSTCO go in somewhere close to Havasu !!

Essex502
11-22-2004, 10:36 AM
Chamber of Commerce.
Actually, I have always discounted the Costco rumors as they didn't seem to make business sense. But...located by the Pilot stations (I assume you mean the I-40/95 junction makes a lot of sense. They could realistically draw folks from Needles, Bullhead, Laughlin and Havasu/Parker to this location.
Costco's business model - from someone you 'splained it to me once - requires a pretty large population base before they drop in a store. Wal-Mart on the other hand does not. I would believe a Sam's Club before a Costco but your info on the Pilot location makes more sense.

waterwitch
11-22-2004, 12:13 PM
Ok... As per the "lake Havasu Chamber" Costco
has joined the chamber.. but has also joined
the chamber of Bullhead, Kingman to get
established in the communities. So it still
may be awhile....

Essex502
11-22-2004, 12:26 PM
may be awhile....
Then I won't hold my breath! :D

Stealth Marine
11-22-2004, 02:53 PM
may be awhile....
Thanks for citing the source.
I seem to remember a year or two ago that someone was circulating a people's petition to beg Costco to come to Havasu. But the year round population was just too small to justify it. But for all I know they came and talked to the city coucil and got scared away with all the anti-growth crap that seems to come out of there over the years.

slowinhavasu
11-22-2004, 07:04 PM
slowinhavasu]We are young 40ish
I think you made a typo, you sound like a young 70ish.
And here in California, we do go to the store in thongs(WOMEN) and have yet to have the cops show up. But then again it is mostly hetrosexual people where I live.
No, were 40ish, we are as open as you can get, but as you get older it's harder to explain it to the kids.Which mine are getting older, but it's our friends that visit with younger kids that bring it to our attention.
I was born and raised in "OC", and for the life of me can't ever remember going to the market, or the local park and seeing what I see here.
Correct me if I'm wrong , the majority of the population here is hetrosexual???
Kieth great post....one of your best ever.....

slowinhavasuskid
11-24-2004, 04:44 PM
You know... my dad is the most open parent I know, we have not led a sheltered life. But i agree with him, it is just not tasteful to walk through a grocery store half naked, its just wrong. Have some respect for other people and their children who dont want to look at you. Even though you may think you are hot s&*t others dont want to look at that so cover it up!!!! I only say this because the people that say "what happens in Havasu, Stays in havasu" must be on crack. because we live here everyday and this is our home so please show us some respect like we show it to you when we come to your towns. oh and one other thing to those who think that there are a bunch of homos here, this is the most heterosexual town i think a person could visit except for maybe one weekend a year. So be open minded but not trashy!!!

BoatPI
11-24-2004, 04:57 PM
I understand Costco is building in Bullhead CIty. And as previously mentioned, Lowe's is building in a County area at the Zieman trailers site, LHC. With this Bullhead site for Costco, I would not bet on one for LHC anytime soon.

chub
11-24-2004, 05:16 PM
Chamber of Commerce.
Sorry but you live in a Right To Work State. Union Yes. Let the flaming begin! :chi:

Bling Bling
11-24-2004, 05:31 PM
I don't know who could possibly say that the old "grey hairs" aren't here yet.
Wrong, they are here! Try driving down the highway. Or better yet, try
negotiating the 4 way stop in town.. You'll note that they're here in volume.
way most boaters feel that I know.
Today there is an editorial in the newspaper that talks about the "loud and
fast boats" that are ruining the fun for the family boaters. I almost fell out
of my chair. First, I believe that a certain "someone" trying to justify his
position on noise has put this person up to the editorial and secondly, I think that my first recollection of Havasu was seeing a loud boat go by with open headers. For the last 35 years, open headers and zoomies ruled this lake
without any arguments. The average boater had all of the California lakes to
play on and the high performance folks had to drive 5 hours to the river, now, the tree huggers have decided that they not only want all of the California lakes but they want the river also. They have invaded Havasu and want to change it to become a haven for old worn out crotchety people on pontoon boats. If their hearing is so bad that social security had to buy them a hearing aid, then why are they complaining about the noise and the speed of the boats? How many old people or as they say "family people" got run down by "fast and loud" boats this year?
Stop trying to make Havasu what it is not. Accept it for what it always has been and always will be. There's plenty of other places that these folks can go to force their will on other unsuspecting old people. After all, what about the rights of us that enjoy the loud and fast boats? Don't our rights count?
Keith Sayre
Well said Keith, I could not agree with you more.

shueman
11-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Havasu is definitely in transition, and working to find that new direction. Tourism / London Bridge is no longer working. The English Village is going under. The boating lifestyle is a big part of the new direction, today and tomorrow.

Kilrtoy
11-24-2004, 08:23 PM
SLOWINHAVASU and KID
Unforuantely havasu was built by and for tourism, It was built by and for the recreational boater, at least that was the histroy I read about McCulloch.
whether people want to accept this or not, LHC is a major resort. Unforuantley for you and some others, this resort is about hot weather and with that comes bathing suits. People leave the river and head home, hotels etc and dont always have the cloths you find acceptable.
My kids more specific have been raised around thongs and pasties and when they see it, it is no different than a women wearing a one peice from the 50's covering almost their whole body. It does not phase them, but then again they were not raised that the human body is something to be embarassed about.
Everyone has their level of what is acceptable and until the law deems this type of clothing unacceptable it will continue.
P.S. the wife does cover up, we are prepared, but friends are not always....

locogringo
11-24-2004, 09:04 PM
My kids more specific have been raised around thongs and pasties and when they see it, it is no different than a women wearing a one peice from the 50's covering almost their whole body. It does not phase them
no bashing intended Kilrtoy just making a point....
People raised in cults day in and day out know nothing else but their cult lifestyle. Same scenario. For that matter, those Indians who lived in the middle of a jungle unexposed to the ways of civilization believed that airplanes flying overhead were signs from God. Just because you have been around it your whole life does not make a right or justify a means.
I actually like women who leave more to the imagination than those who think imagination doesn't exist. You know, the axiom..."more is less". The way she walks and you think you catch a glimpse of something but aren't sure. When the wind blows "just the right way" and you maybe see something "just that right way" :mix: . My imagination is extremely vivid and it disappoints me when women think that I don't have one.
Daniel

Kilrtoy
11-24-2004, 09:12 PM
I understand what you are ssaying Daniel.
In hawaII this is everday life and noone thinks twice about it.
In Europe people walk down to the beach on lunch breaks take off all their clothes and get a sun tan durning lunch in the nude or topless.
Only in America is the human body something that must be hidden.
every where else in the world OUTSIDE IRAQ and those freako countries, is nudity on TV normal....

dego red
11-24-2004, 09:14 PM
I agree locogringo, I also live in a small tourist town. I have been to LHC, and the one comparison I can see is the low wages, we call them the sunshine tax. When everyone wants to live in your beautiful town there is an overabundance of eager workers to fill a small number of jobs. I also moved from the "big" city to here, to get away from it all, and now the big city is following here. I hope Lake Havasu does not get swallowed up. red

locogringo
11-24-2004, 09:23 PM
Klr... true but the society mandates the actions. Maybe the issue is the way that it seemingly appears to be... "Lewd action". I think the rest is just the icing on the cake. Not that I don't like it because I'd be calling myself a hypocrite but I think there is a time and a place for it and that time has been deemed "always" and the place is "everywhere there is water, alchohol and a boating community". I should clarify, "river" in respects to the water because at the Yacht clubs, I don't see this.
Dego... you, my man, have wonderful posts on "the other board" and I would spit shine your shoes if the chance arose (not really, don't get your hopes up :D ). But that is something that just I see and is not subjected to everyone.
Carry on....and Happy T day.
Go Cowboys though I'm sure they will **** up as usual. I've been a fan since I was 10 so no turning back!

canuck1
11-24-2004, 09:29 PM
Hey Red
Hows it hangin?

dego red
11-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Thanks loco, I wouldn't expect you to spit on my shoes, or throw dog poop on them either. lol. Thanks for the kind comments any way. red

dego red
11-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Mikeeeeee!!!! How the fark are ye??? One day.......maybe we get to crack a brewski eh?? red