PDA

View Full Version : Job hunting fiasco..WTF?

HighRoller
11-19-2004, 04:06 PM
About 5 weeks ago I sent a resume to a trucking company in Reno for an office job. I followed up every week and always got the "your application is being processed" runaround. After three weeks I gave up and applied for a few jobs here. Monday of this week I got a job offer to do welding and fab work for a boat company. I accepted and am due to start after I get back from next week's vacation.
Two hours after I accept that job, the Reno company calls up and asks me a bunch of questions. The guy in charge of the office says he's going to hunt down my application and get back to me. This tells me they haven't found anyone qualified yet. I ask him to please let me know ASAP because of my job situation and the time it takes to set up relocation etc.. He says they will have a meeting Wednesday about the issue and get back to me.
So now it's Friday, I'm leaving on vacation monday and starting a new job the following monday. I called this guy a few minutes ago to touch bases with him before I left town, and no call back. WTF??????? These guys turn me upside down and now they leave me twisting in the wind and it's pissing me off. To be honest, I'm less than impressed with their level of communication and wondering if I should tell them to get bent. Knowing them, they'll call me next Friday and tell me I got the job...Fockers....
Anybody who's been in this situation and might have some words of wisdom, speak up!!!! I'm trying not to freak out... :eek:

topless
11-19-2004, 04:10 PM
About 5 weeks ago I sent a resume to a trucking company in Reno for an office job. I followed up every week and always got the "your application is being processed" runaround. After three weeks I gave up and applied for a few jobs here. Monday of this week I got a job offer to do welding and fab work for a boat company. I accepted and am due to start after I get back from next week's vacation.
Two hours after I accept that job, the Reno company calls up and asks me a bunch of questions. The guy in charge of the office says he's going to hunt down my application and get back to me. This tells me they haven't found anyone qualified yet. I ask him to please let me know ASAP because of my job situation and the time it takes to set up relocation etc.. He says they will have a meeting Wednesday about the issue and get back to me.
So now it's Friday, I'm leaving on vacation monday and starting a new job the following monday. I called this guy a few minutes ago to touch bases with him before I left town, and no call back. WTF??????? These guys turn me upside down and now they leave me twisting in the wind and it's pissing me off. To be honest, I'm less than impressed with their level of communication and wondering if I should tell them to get bent. Knowing them, they'll call me next Friday and tell me I got the job...Fockers....
Anybody who's been in this situation and might have some words of wisdom, speak up!!!! I'm trying not to freak out... :eek:
Sounds like your'e being a pain in the ass by calling all the time.

GlastronGuy
11-19-2004, 04:12 PM
Maybe they've read your posts here?

HighRoller
11-19-2004, 04:15 PM
I called them a total of 3 times in 5 weeks after I applied. Then I gave up. This dude calls me out of the blue and asks questions like "how soon could you relocate?" To me, that sounds pretty serious. I figured they would give me the courtesy of letting me know one way or another within a few days of making a decision. Oh well.

mbrown2
11-19-2004, 04:18 PM
Maybe they've read your posts here?
LMAO... :wink:

topless
11-19-2004, 04:22 PM
I called them a total of 3 times in 5 weeks after I applied. Then I gave up. This dude calls me out of the blue and asks questions like "how soon could you relocate?" To me, that sounds pretty serious. I figured they would give me the courtesy of letting me know one way or another within a few days of making a decision. Oh well.I wouldn't want to work for them. First of all, if they found someone they wanted to hire, why didn't they jump on it unless their employees come and go like the wind?I think you're better off with what you are doing.

Havasu Hangin'
11-19-2004, 04:22 PM
If the guy can't get his act together enough to hire qualified people...you probably don't want to work there.

Havasu Hangin'
11-19-2004, 04:25 PM
I wouldn't want to work for them. First of all, if they found someone they wanted to hire, why didn't they jump on it unless their employees come and go like the wind?I think you're better off with what you are doing.
Shit...did I just agree with topless? :notam:

topless
11-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Shit...did I just agree with topless? :notam:OMG!!!!!!!!!! Is the world coming to an end?????? :jawdrop:

MsDrmr
11-19-2004, 04:32 PM
one way I was able to the job I wanted while I was in the same situation as you is...I called them and told them "As you are well aware of, I have submitted my resume into other companies, I recently received a job offer with one of your competators, I would prefer to work with your company. I informed them I would let them know by (fill in the date of your choice) what my decision is, I look forward to calling them and letting them know I accepted another offer. Please contact and let me know what your decision is. Thank you (fill in name)
Believe it or not, I set my own hrs at the job and made more money because they knew I would not wait any longer to accept another offer.
Act in demand, and they will jump

Racer277
11-19-2004, 04:33 PM
Take the job you already agreed to. If they call after that your price went up considerably (unless you don't like this job).
As long as you have a job, you hold all of the cards. It is unprofessional for employers to keep prospective employees twisting this way.
Remember a bird in the hand....
My .02

HighRoller
11-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Take the job you already agreed to. If they call after that your price went up considerably (unless you don't like this job).
As long as you have a job, you hold all of the cards. It is unprofessional for employers to keep prospective employees twisting this way.
Remember a bird in the hand....
My .02
I agree. I believe that you don't have to bend over backwards as an employer to satisfy every applicant. BUT if you initiate further contact and tell people you're making a decision you could at least let them know either way. Even if you don't have any further info, call them and tell them that! It's called "common courtesy". BTW Racer, I like your thinking about my starting salary going up after they pull this crap. I was willing to start at like 40-45K because I'm not specifically experienced in that exact job but I'm experienced in the field. Now, it's gonna be no less than 45K because I already have given my word to another company. Thanks for the advice.

voodoomedman
11-19-2004, 05:37 PM
I had the same situation when I started working for UPS. I had left Circuit City and while I initiallly would have made more money with the Good Guys I was getting this same kinda crap. I get called from UPS and take it and a week later Good Guys calls. I give them the same courtesy of not calling back and instead of trying to find a good career right now I have been working for UPS for 5 years, am a Senior Technician and working my way into management. I will retire from this company a very wealthy man. Moral of the story is---Sometimes things work out the way they do for a reason.

Blown 472
11-20-2004, 12:58 AM
Maybe you could spew some of your facsist shit?? :D :D

roostwear
11-20-2004, 06:58 AM
Personally this tells me a couple things. You don't have the skill set they really are looking for (otherwise your resume would be on the top, or at least they'd know WHERE it is), and they are disorganized and if they offered you the job you'd not only start with a bad taste in your mouth, you'd probably be looking again soon.
If you REALLY want to know what their deal is and where you stand, make one last call and ask them to remove your resume from consideration.

spectratoad
11-20-2004, 07:07 AM
To echo everyone else. Yes I am agreeing with Topless :eek: you probably wouldn't want to work there. Could be a sign of how they treat their employees. What company is it here in Reno? I can leave some of my dog "treats" on their front office steps. :wink: