PDA

View Full Version : Scientist and Officials opening up Glenn Canyon Damn

jdogginla
11-20-2004, 11:59 AM
I don't know how to post a link......but on CNN's website under Science and Space they reported that they are going to open up the Glenn Canyon Dam for a period of 4 days and flood the Colorado river below the Grand Canyon to help stir up some of the historical Sediment. This should help the low water levels on the river..........NO?

RiverToysJas
11-20-2004, 12:05 PM
I don't know how to post a link......but on CNN's website under Science and Space they reported that they are going to open up the Glenn Canyon Dam for a period of 4 days and flood the Colorado river below the Grand Canyon to help stir up some of the historical Sediment. This should help the low water levels on the river..........NO?
It would lower the level of Lake Powell even more than it already is. Raise the level of the river through the Grand Canyon for a short period. Unless something is done at Hoover, it'll have no further affect than raising Mead some.
RTJas :D

jdogginla
11-20-2004, 12:30 PM
It would lower the level of Lake Powell even more than it already is. Raise the level of the river through the Grand Canyon for a short period. Unless something is done at Hoover, it'll have no further affect than raising Mead some.
RTJas :D
Hmm.....I'll have to find the other link I found that said it wouldn't affect Powell.

Rexone
11-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Common sense would tell you that it will lower Powell if the open the gates for 4 days. I think I read on another thread it will affect it by 3 feet or so.
Hopefully the scientists know more about it than this dumb shumck (me) cause it makes little sense to me to drain a large amount of water out of a lake already struggling for water level to stir up some dirt in the river. Prolly a fish thing I'm guessin.

jdogginla
11-20-2004, 01:58 PM
Common sense would tell you that it will lower Powell if the open the gates for 4 days. I think I read on another thread it will affect it by 3 feet or so.
Hopefully the scientists know more about it than this dumb shumck (me) cause it makes little sense to me to drain a large amount of water out of a lake already struggling for water level to stir up some dirt in the river. Prolly a fish thing I'm guessin.
Yeah it's a fish thing........they said that 4 of the 8 unique breeds of fish native to the river in the Grand Canyon no longer exist and have gone extinct since the damn was built. I don't really now where the damn is, but assuming you guys do. Just thought it was interesting info

Rexone
11-20-2004, 02:05 PM
I located the culprits...
the humpback chub and the razorback sucker.
other thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64014)
Theres another thread too somewhere but I didn't find it.
There's probably more to this than what it seems at first glance as letting that much water out in a period of drought might seem a little unwise. Hopefully the scientists have a handle on what's up for both the protection of the fish species (which I am a proponent of) and the protection of the water system's integrety and function. While I am a boater and obviously appreciate our lake's boating value, it's important to remember their primary purpose is to insure water supply and flood control. Recreational value is secondary and I think alot of us tend to forget that at times.
I'm just going to go slip into my nomex fire suit now... :D

BajaMike
11-20-2004, 02:13 PM
The story I read said it would not effect Lake Powell's level very much because they were going to hold back water for a few weeks before the "big flood".
:argue: