PDA

View Full Version : Hey Welders!

cdog
11-20-2004, 03:58 PM
I've been lookin into getting a welder for some time now and was lookin for some recomendations. It will be 220V. Was looking at Lincoln and millers. If i'm doing fab work meaning chassis stuff brackets and what not, should I go with a mig or tig? Is it good to have both? I eventualy will be getting a plasma cutter too. Sure would be nice if they had one that would do everything. What do you recomend?

Squirtin Thunder
11-20-2004, 04:10 PM
Back in NC I used a mig for just about everything, but if you can afford the unit that has both mig and tig that is the best way to go. I had a Miller but you can get great deals on the Lincon stuff and you may be able to work some kind of deal with them at Lincon. They are very cool people. I had a Lincon Plasma cutter and it was totally auwsome.
The guys in WV used Arc welders for everything.
Jim

cdog
11-20-2004, 04:12 PM
Back in NC I used a mig for just about everything, but if you can afford the unit that has both mig and tig that is the best way to go. I had a Miller but you can get great deals on the Lincon stuff and you may be able to work some kind of deal with them at Lincon. They are very cool people. I had a Lincon Plasma cutter and it was totally auwsome.
The guys in WV used Arc welders for everything.
Jim
Is there a unit that has both? I can get a better than average deal on miller stuff thru my dad's company.

HCS
11-20-2004, 04:15 PM
I love the mig. Get a powerful one it's worth it. I built Snow ski lifts for a couple years. I could weld anything with those babies. Stainless steel was one of my favorite to weld.
Get a good Lincoln. That can run a pretty penny for good one though.

Kindsvater Flat
11-20-2004, 04:20 PM
Mig, Tig, Arc, and a plasma. Just get all of them. :D None of my Miller equipment has ever broke if thats any help.
http://www.schoutenranch.com/mike/welders.JPG

cdog
11-20-2004, 04:22 PM
That's quite a collection!

Kindsvater Flat
11-20-2004, 04:29 PM
I also have a portable welder/generator thats also miller on a trailer. Spend the money the first time and don't worry. Some of the cheaper welders have plastic gears and crap that just don't last. I bought the plasma for 500 used, its 50 amp. The little mig is a 185 that is 220 and was around 1700 bucks. That big one is a water cooled 300amp Tig/Arc that would cost around 4k to replace. Its a mid 80s model thats why its so friggen big. All the new stuff is half the size.

Nubbs
11-20-2004, 05:16 PM
Here are some of my opinions/thoughts on welders. I like the versatility of tigs because you can do steel and aluminum. Tigs are pretty expensive. Migs are easier to use when welding in awkward positions. I can weld much faster with a mig. I havea 115V Miller and a 220V Lincoln. The Lincoln can obviously weld thicker material, but I think the Miller is built better. Hope this helps.

Drunk tank
11-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Personally from would get a TIG for anything where its gonna be very visable. If you get good with a TIG its a beautiful thing. MIG is great when you need something quick.
Something else to consider... a TIG weld is whats considered a hot weld where as a MIG weld is a cold weld. Your hot weld is gonna be stronger.
I think youre best bet is to get a MIG first and get your fabbing skills down. Then eventually get a TIG. A TIG is alot more complex... but it makes welding a variety of metals very easy. My next purchase is a Plasma cutter and then a TIG.
BTW... I have a Millermatic 175 MIG. Its an amazing little welder. No issues at all! That thing will lay down some whoopass on 1/4" steel no issue. if you really know what your doing and bevel your edges well, you can sucessfully weld half inch steel with it. So for autowork or boat work.. itll do more than youd ever need.

Tequila-John
11-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Welding is a ton of fun bud. I have a little Lincoln MIG welder now. In the future if you want to do chassis welding or Aluminum. I would get a TIG now. They are a lot more money then a MIG but you can do tons more with a TIG. I programmed Fabrication Robots which used MIG welders. We used Lincoln on all our Robot Cell, but we welded only Steel

steelcomp
11-20-2004, 06:06 PM
You really need to decide what you're going to be welding. I can lay just as pretty a bead with a mig as I can a tig...depending on the app. If you're going to be welding small stuff, ands are worried about distortion or warpage, the tig will give you a more precise capability. If you're going to be doing mostly steel fab work and in a bunch of awkward positions, like welding a frame or trailer or something thicker than say 1/8", the mig might be easier to use. Both will give you equal strength welds, when done properly. The tig will require a little more skill since you have to control the current as well as filler rod. You can weld alum with a mig, just not as pretty and with considerably less versatility. For the most part, a good 200A 220V mig will give you the best service. I recommend Miller. When you get good, and want to really do some trick stuff, then you might consider a tig. When you can weld two beer cans together, you'll get my vote. :D

Kindsvater Flat
11-20-2004, 06:24 PM
I can weld the cans end to end but can't weld the sides. I have seen it done though. OH!!! and don't touch the rod to the tungsten...... it will send shivers that hurt!

GlastronGuy
11-20-2004, 06:30 PM
KFlat
Do you know Dick Dier?

Kindsvater Flat
11-20-2004, 06:38 PM
KFlat
Do you know Dick Dier?
I don't know Dick.... sorry.

GlastronGuy
11-20-2004, 06:39 PM
I don't know Dick.... sorry.
Just occured to me you might. He is from District 10, is/was into farming and is a welder.

steelcomp
11-20-2004, 06:40 PM
I can weld the cans end to end but can't weld the sides. I have seen it done though. OH!!! and don't touch the rod to the tungsten...... it will send shivers that hurt!
I did it with a Miller Ideal Arc Syncrowave machine. Cut about 100 cans in half and it took about a month, but I finally did it...welded two halves back together. I wasn't going to give up. :coffeycup Hardest part was getting the two halves to match perfectly. Litle tack here, little tack there, start a bead...SHIT!!! There's no filling a hole there. Start over. :lightsabe

Kindsvater Flat
11-20-2004, 07:08 PM
Just occured to me you might. He is from District 10, is/was into farming and is a welder.
I don't do much in that area. I'm more northwest of there. Acually about 20 min west of Gridley.

tahitijet
11-20-2004, 08:32 PM
I have a miller 175 mig a 251 mig, a very large Tig machine like pictured in Kindsvater flats picture and a thermal dynamics plasma cutter. I prefer the mig for most (steel) welding as it is quicker and most of my welding is on 3/16 and thicker steel. I build frames and bracketry with the mig. Control arms, 4 links, and other smaller stuff, aluminum and stainless with the TIG
If your going to be limited to 1 choice of a welder for now and your not going to plan to weld alot of aluminum i'd go with a MIG.
As far as brand, miller and lincoln are pretty much similar in quality. I would go with the brand your local shop carries so you get support, and easily avaliable replacment parts and repair if needed. With the exception of my plasma i use only Miller and have been extremtly happy with my machines.
As a side note for a while now Hobart has been owned and built by miller.. there machines are comprable and cheaper.. so might be worth a look if your local shop carries them.

steelcomp
11-20-2004, 08:35 PM
I have a miller 175 mig a 251 mig, a very large Tig machine like pictured in Kindsvater flats picture and a thermal dynamics plasma cutter. I prefer the mig for most (steel) welding as it is quicker and most of my welding is on 3/16 and thicker steel. I build frames and bracketry with the mig. Control arms, 4 links, and other smaller stuff, aluminum and stainless with the TIG
If your going to be limited to 1 choice of a welder for now and your not going to plan to weld alot of aluminum i'd go with a MIG.
As far as brand, miller and lincoln are pretty much similar in quality. I would go with the brand your local shop carries so you get support, and easily avaliable replacment parts and repair if needed. With the exception of my plasma i use only Miller and have been extremtly happy with my machines.
As a side note for a while now Hobart has been owned and built by miller.. there machines are comprable and cheaper.. so might be worth a look if your local shop carries them.
I've got a little Hobart 175 220V that's a workin sumbich! Love that little welder.

HCS
11-20-2004, 08:58 PM
Give me a good mig and I'll burn anything. If you want a good deep hot burn use argon. It's more expensive but it makes a hot clean deep burn. It won't break or crack. No contamination. The cleaner the gas the better the weld.
Anything your going to do around the house it's more than enough. You could build the Empire state building.

NuckinFutz
11-21-2004, 01:47 PM
Miller MIG for me. Bought new in 1997 and used a bunch. Miller does have an option of a second gun for aluminum that will do alot of fixing on most applications. If you are wanting a pretty MIG weld that ultimate strength is not needed, place the material where it can be welded on a downward angle and it will look as good as any TIG weld.

GlastronGuy
11-21-2004, 02:00 PM
I don't do much in that area. I'm more northwest of there. Acually about 20 min west of Gridley.
I know, I fed your kids.
;)