PDA

View Full Version : Hunting season is open

spectratoad
11-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Damn, what is this world coming too.
BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - A dispute among deer hunters over a tree stand in northwestern Wisconsin erupted Sunday in a series of shootings that left five people dead and three others injured, officials said.
Jake Hodgkinson, a deputy at the county jail, identified the suspect as Chai Vang but would give no additional details. Several news organizations in Minneapolis-St. Paul reported the suspect was 36-years-old and from St. Paul.
The incident happened when two hunters were returning to their rural cabin on private land in Sawyer County and saw the suspect in one of their tree stands, County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. A confrontation and shooting followed.
ItÂ’s not known who shot first, Zeigle said.
Both men were wounded and one of them radioed back to the cabin. Other hunters responded and were shot, he said. Some of the victims may have shot back at the suspect, Zeigle said.
The suspect was “sniping” at the victims with a SKS assault-style rifle, Zeigle said. He was “chasing after them and killing them,” he said.
The dead included four males, including a teenage boy, and a woman, Zeigle said. The man who radioed for help was not fatally wounded. Some of the victims were shot more than once.
All five were dead when officers arrived, he said.
Authorities found two bodies near each other and the other three were scattered around the area, which is near Town of Meteor in southwestern Sawyer County. Two people who stayed in the cabin emerged safely after the shootings.
The suspect, who did not have a compass, got lost in the woods and two other hunters, not knowing the man was being sought in the shootings, helped him find his way out, Zeigle said. When he emerged from the woods, a Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back, given to police by a victim, Zeigle said.
The man was out of bullets when they arrested him, Zeigle said.
One of the injured hunters was in critical condition at St. JosephÂ’s Hospital. Another was listed in serious condition and the third was in fair condition, both at Lakeview Medical Center.
WisconsinÂ’s statewide deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.
Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters. He said the incident was “very upsetting.”
After they got word of a shooting, he and others went to round up the rest of the party. He said they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and noticed the surrounding roads blocked off.
“When you’re hunting you don’t expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you,” he said. “You have no idea who is coming up to you.”
The incident wonÂ’t stop their hunt, he said.
“We’re all old, dyed-in-wool hunters,” he said. “We wouldn’t go home because of this but we will keep it in our minds. We’re not forgetting it.”
© 2004 The Associated Press.

Kilrtoy
11-22-2004, 12:13 AM
That was some messed up shit, But damn hunting with a SKS,for the lay man that is an AK -47

clownpuncher
11-22-2004, 12:45 AM
That was some messed up shit, But damn hunting with a SKS,for the lay man that is an AK -47
Made for the USSR, 7.62x39, sightable to almost 1000 meters, deadly at 1500 meters.
I heard it makes a distinct sound when fired upon you

ONAROLL
11-22-2004, 01:10 AM
Made for the USSR, 7.62x39, sightable to almost 1000 meters, deadly at 1500 meters.
Flagg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tolerable to 300 worthless at 600........hosedraggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sheesh .........Vic

clownpuncher
11-22-2004, 01:17 AM
Flagg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tolerable to 300 worthless at 600........hosedraggers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!sheesh .........Vic
I'm wrong? Shit, that's the second time this year :p
Guess I must have it confused with something else :)

Kilrtoy
11-22-2004, 01:18 AM
Like nothing US AMERICANS ARE USED TOO, unless you work the ghetto

ONAROLL
11-22-2004, 01:19 AM
When I was a kid we used to skin deer at the house on the corner of San Jose and Catalina, it used to freak the whole neighborhood out, I was raised in Palm Desert.............Vic

clownpuncher
11-22-2004, 01:23 AM
When I was a kid we used to skin deer at the house on the corner of San Jose and Catalina, it used to freak the whole neighborhood out, I was raised in Palm Desert.............Vic
No shit? How long ago did you leave?
BTW, the ak's in palm desert are good to 1000 meters. You know, high end n all. That must be the discrepency in our tech info :D

ONAROLL
11-22-2004, 01:27 AM
[QUOTE=clownpuncher]No shit? How long ago did you leave?
BTW, the ak's in palm desert are good to 1000 meters. You know, high end n all. That must be the discrepency in our tech info :D[/QUOTE
Yeah, yeah, yeah, been, gone along time, been back a few times it was a great place to be a kid, groves everywhere......I love the desert........and my first girlfriends...............

RiverKitty
11-22-2004, 05:06 AM
I just heard it on the news.
That is so sad. :(
Trying to enjoy your weekend then come home in a bodybag. :(

Cheap Thrills
11-22-2004, 08:07 AM
Thats only true if you shoot bulk rounds, through a worn out reciever.
there's too many variations in case dementions, bullet weight , powder weight and primer rate , to have alot of ballistic consistency.
Although one with tight head space and some hand loads , they are quite capable of achieving a semi respectable group at 1km .
I'de rather take the Weatherby Vanguard .270 with a 160gr ballistic tip boat tail for the 1km+ jobs
The SKS is better suited for being dragged bumped dropped banged and shot through the bushes like it's designed purpose :D
That story is some crazy azz shiz :eek: seems like Bow season is the only time that the true sportsman has to have a decent hunt without having to worry about the redneck yahoo's their 30 round clips of FMJ. mistaking your orange vest for a non typical trophy while your perched 20 ' up a tree stand. :rolleyes:
anyhooo got a lil long winded sorry bout dat .
C.T. fired that shot :wink:

OGShocker
11-22-2004, 08:14 AM
Fires the same round (7.62 X 39) but, a wholly different weapon. :lightsabe
One more POS VietMin we should have left over there. :yuk: Sad for those families who lost people this weekend. :frown:

GlastronGuy
11-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Shooter
http://www.startribune.com/stonline/images/news23/1hunters1122.l.jpg

Liberator TJ1984
11-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Fires the same round (7.62 X 39) but, a wholly different weapon. :lightsabe
One more POS VietMin we should have left over there. :yuk: Sad for those families who lost people this weekend. :frown:
True Dat !!!!
Oh Yea ,
( SKS = AK = NO WAY ! / SKS = POS AK = BMF )

Rod-64
11-22-2004, 11:20 AM
Live news conference now on msnbc.

cdog
11-22-2004, 11:23 AM
Someone should off his charlie ass with a M-16 just to make things even.
Sad for the family's. Sad for the hunting community. Lord knows we allready get pounded by the libs and tree huggers.

Rod-64
11-22-2004, 11:25 AM
The experience gained during the first part of the World War 2 showed some deficiencies of the existing rifles, both manually operated and semi-automatic. Those rifles were too long and heavy, and fired too powerful cartridge that had excessive recoil and effective range of about 2000 meters, while most fights were at distances of no more than 600-800 meters. From this experience arose the idea of the more compact firearms that will fire cartridge of intermediate power, allowing for effective range of about 500-800 meters or so. This concept was caught by both Soviets and Germans, and while Germans concentrated on only one type of such weapon, an MaschinenKarabiner, that latter became a SturmGewehr, or Assault Rifle, Russians were set up to build a whole family of infantry weapons, designed around newly developed M43 7.62x39mm cartridge. This family included following guns: lightweight bolt action carbine - an idea that never left the prototype stage; a self-loading carbine; a select-fire assault rifle; and a light machine gun - squad automatic weapon. As said above, military bolt action in 7.62x39 was never proceeded further than prototype stage. Assault rifle became the famous Kalashnikov AK-47. Squad automatic became the Degtyarov RPD. And self-loading carbine became the Simonov SKS.
The SKS (Samozaryadnyj Karabin Simonova = Simonov Self-loading Carbine) was designed by famous Russian arms designer Simonov, who already designed the self-loading rifle AVS-36 and an anti-tank rifle PTRS. First prototypes were built in the early 1945, and were tested in small numbers on the front against Germans. In consequent years both SKS and the cartridge were refined and in 1949 this carbine was officially adopted by the Soviet Army as an "7.62mm Samozaryadnyj Karabin Simonova obr. 1945 goda - SKS". SKS was brought into service along with the Kalashnikov AK-47, and was widely used during the first two or three post-war decades. With the increased numbers of the AK-47 and AKM brought into service, numbers of the SKS in the front-line services gradually declined, but some SKS were still used by non-infantry and second-line units of the Soviet Army as late as 1980s and even 1990s. At the present time most army stocks of SKS are in storage or sold as surplus on both domestic and foreign markets, and the most notable role of the SKS is that it is still used as a ceremonial weapon by the various Russian Honor Guards.
As with many other soviet weapons of the post-war period, the licenses to SKS design were sold or given to some Soviet-friendly countries, such as China, DDR (East Germany), Yugoslavia, Albania and some others. These countries also built vast numbers of SKS with some minor derivations from original design. So, Chinese SKS featured spike-shaped bayonets instead of original blade-shaped ones. Yugoslavian SKS carbines often were equipped with combined muzzle device - rifle grenade launcher, grenade sights and a gas cut-offs. Other variations also existed. Many off those carbines, along with the original Russian ones, were sold as a military surplus during the last decades, either in the original for or in the "civilized" form, with bayonets removed. Cheap prices of both carbines and 7.62x39mm ammunition added to a popularity of SKS on the civilian markets. Being a sound, but outdated military design, SKS is a great all-around civilian arm, capable of numerous functions: small and even a medium game hunting, plinking, home defense. Wide variety of aftermarket accessories (stocks, sight mounts, sights, large-capacity magazines, bipods etc etc) only helped to keep this neat gun on the market.
SKS is a gas operated, magazine fed, self-loading weapon. It utilizes a short-stroke gas piston with its own return spring, and a tilting bolt locking, where a bolt tips down to lock onto the floor of the receiver. Charging handle is attached to the right side of the bolt carrier and moves when gun is fired. Receiver is machined from steel. SKS is fed from the integral 10-rounds magazine, which could be loaded from the top through the open bolt by loose cartridges or by using special 10 rounds stripper clips. Stripper clip guides are machined into the front of the bolt carrier. SKS features a bolt catch device, an essential feature for any clip-loaded firearm. Magazine can be safely and quickly unloaded via swing-down opening magazine cover. SKS is a hammer-fired gun. Safety switch is located inside the triggerguard. SKS features a single-piece wooden stock, a hooded post-type front sight and a range-adjustable open rear sight. Military-issue SKS carbines are equipped with non-detachable bayonets, that could be folded down and backward when not in use. Soviet, East German and Yugoslavian carbines use blade-shaped bayonets, Chinese Type 56 carbines use spike-shaped bayonets, which are slightly longer than blade-shaped ones.
In general, the SKS is an excellent all-around weapon that offers slightly longer range and better accuracy than Kalashnikov AK-47, but, for military use, lacks the magazine capacity and selective-fire capabilities. But for civilian use it's still hard to beat, especially when it comes to the cost/effectiveness issues.

KACHINA KEN
11-22-2004, 12:17 PM
maybe an m2 but not an sks, bottom of the barrel when it comes to the Kalashnikov family.

KACHINA KEN
11-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Im gonna go out on a limb and say I bet it will be discovered there was some serious provocation or taunting on the side of the group, this guy was all alone and I have a hard time believing he would just snap for no good reason, we'll see......

Liberator TJ1984
11-22-2004, 12:33 PM
With the Assault Rifle Ban just lifted , this will give all those anti-WMD peeps another reason to do away with these style rifles... :frown:
I personnaly have used SKS and AK's , AR's etc..... despite all that is thrown at them as being "ASSAULT RIFLES" they are in fact quite capable Hunting Arms and quite accurate when set up properly...

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
11-22-2004, 01:50 PM
I could never imagine puting a bullet in my hunting buddy.......
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/523Sam.jpg
Omega

rrrr
11-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Hey Omega, was that pic taken on what used to be the Crawford Ranch? That's one hell of a place.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
11-22-2004, 02:01 PM
Hey Omega, was that pic taken on what used to be the Crawford Ranch? That's one hell of a place.
no that pic was taken at los cuernos de tejas big game contest in carrizo springs, TX
Omega

rrrr
11-22-2004, 02:06 PM
That's where the ranch is. I knew the guy whose dad owned it, he went to Club Fed for bribing Pemex officials and it was sold at auction.
It has a 15,000 SF main house, a 5500' paved runway, and something like 180 miles of deer fence around it. There are asphalt roads all over the ranch, and ten or twelve horse barns. Biggest ranch I've ever seen.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
11-22-2004, 02:19 PM
I have no idea. I got the picture in an email and thought it would be a good addition in this thread. She does look like a good hunting buddy to have :) :devil:
poor bastards like me don't get to hunt on big ranches. We hunt out of the cab of our pickups out in the sticks ;)
Omega

rrrr
11-22-2004, 02:20 PM
I have no idea. I got the picture in an email and thought it would be a good addition in this thread. She does look like a good hunting buddy to have :) :devil:
poor bastards like me don't get to hunt on big ranches. We hunt out of the cab of our pickups out in the sticks ;)
Omega
I'd like to have her in the cab of my pickup on a cold winter morning...... :eek: :devil:

Taylorman
11-22-2004, 02:43 PM
I'd like to have her in the cab of my pickup on a cold winter morning...... :eek: :devil:
Or in my box stand on a cold winter morning.
Any high powered rifle can do that, the hard thing is to find a shooter that can shoot that accurate. I elk hunt in Colorado every year and believe me, shooting at an 800 lb animal is not easy at 400-500 yds. So for someone to say that a gun is deadly at 1500 meters shooting at a person IMO is bulls**t unless you have some SERIOUS training in marksmanship.
I think any gun fired upon you would be a distinct sound.
I'd rather take the Weatherby Vanguard .270 with a 160gr ballistic tip boat tail for the 1km+ jobs
Dude if your gonna dream, dream a little higher than a Vanguard. How about an Accumark, Sako, Sauer. A Vanguard is not even make by Weatherby. Its a gun they sell at Wal Mart and is made by Howa. What a pos.
I do like your taste in bullets though. I use ballistic tips. Also, they don't make a 160 g for a .270. 150 grain is the largest. I shoot 130's.

SHOTKALLIN
11-22-2004, 03:03 PM
Heartbreak Ridge...Clint Eastwood
I love that movie!

clownpuncher
11-22-2004, 03:35 PM
Heartbreak Ridge...Clint Eastwood
I love that movie!
ding ding ding...we have a winnaaah.
That's all I was really getting at. I dont' know jack shit about guns, except for the ones I own. I really want an MP-5 though. :D

miller19j
11-22-2004, 03:51 PM
I do like your taste in bullets though. I use ballistic tips. Also, they don't make a 160 g for a .270. 150 grain is the largest. I shoot 130's.
He is probably thinking of a Partition. Nosler makes a 160 grain partition in .270
I shoot the 130 BT with H4831 in my .270.

ONAROLL
11-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Thats only true if you shoot bulk rounds, through a worn out reciever.
there's too many variations in case dementions, bullet weight , powder weight and primer rate , to have alot of ballistic consistency.
Although one with tight head space and some hand loads , they are quite capable of achieving a semi respectable group at 1km .
I'de rather take the Weatherby Vanguard .270 with a 160gr ballistic tip boat tail for the 1km+ jobs
The SKS is better suited for being dragged bumped dropped banged and shot through the bushes like it's designed purpose :D
That story is some crazy azz shiz :eek: seems like Bow season is the only time that the true sportsman has to have a decent hunt without having to worry about the redneck yahoo's their 30 round clips of FMJ. mistaking your orange vest for a non typical trophy while your perched 20 ' up a tree stand. :rolleyes:
anyhooo got a lil long winded sorry bout dat .
C.T. fired that shot :wink:
Flagg!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry dude a consistant 1KM leathal group with ANY sks and I own three, is dreaming. and dont misunderstand me I like to plink with them, but only plink, they are a short range cost effective battle rifle for third world countries, I think most people have no realization of just how far a kilometor is, any man that can create a lethal group(8inches) consistantly at 1K damn sure has my respect,and I shoot a 300wm and a custom 308 with the best optics, built for this purpose and as far as "bulk" ammo being ineffective the ammo I shoot is "bulk" its made in the Black Hills of South Dakota. any long range tactical shooter and attest to them. .02 you hit a nerve............Vic

Cheap Thrills
11-22-2004, 06:08 PM
Or in my box stand on a cold winter morning.
Any high powered rifle can do that, the hard thing is to find a shooter that can shoot that accurate. I elk hunt in Colorado every year and believe me, shooting at an 800 lb animal is not easy at 400-500 yds. So for someone to say that a gun is deadly at 1500 meters shooting at a person IMO is bulls**t unless you have some SERIOUS training in marksmanship.
I think any gun fired upon you would be a distinct sound.
Dude if your gonna dream, dream a little higher than a Vanguard. How about an Accumark, Sako, Sauer. A Vanguard is not even make by Weatherby. Its a gun they sell at Wal Mart and is made by Howa. What a pos.
First of I was merely stating my opinion on the design purpose and the accuracy of the SKS but not as much the accuracy of the firearm but the accuracy of bulk (factory) rounds.
your not going to group for shit at any range with any firearm with factory loads as compaired to hand loads . yeh you can hit your mark at 500+ yards with factory ammunition but can you consistantly stack 5 or more rounds in a dime at that range like I can with hand load .270s ? hell no ! I'de bet you dollars on your pennies you can't !
dreaming is in my list of programs. but if I were to dream about it I suppose I could come up with a multitude of more expensive makes and models of firearms to bullshit about if I were bullshitting .
I own several firearms that I hand load for including a Vanguard .270 that I still have the factory spec targets that were shiped with it when I ordered it from Weatherby more than 20 years ago. regardless of the of who made it or where you think you may heve seen it . Weatherby is stamped on it . and thats a hell of a note better than a Wal-Mart Marlin . I dont have any problem finding 160gr. ballistic tip .270 bullets maybe you need to look more and play keyboard Rambo less .
C.T. fired that shot :wink: I'm back out !

Cheap Thrills
11-22-2004, 06:34 PM
Flagg!!!!!!!!!!!!! sorry dude a consistant 1KM leathal group with ANY sks and I own three, is dreaming. and dont misunderstand me I like to plink with them, but only plink, they are a short range cost effective battle rifle for third world countries, I think most people have no realization of just how far a kilometor is, any man that can create a lethal group(8inches) consistantly at 1K damn sure has my respect,and I shoot a 300wm and a custom 308 with the best optics, built for this purpose and as far as "bulk" ammo being ineffective the ammo I shoot is "bulk" its made in the Black Hills of South Dakota. any long range tactical shooter and attest to them. .02 you hit a nerve............Vic
sorry my post has been misunderstood I wasnt trying to strike nerves .
let me explain what I was trying to say in the first place I din't mean you could hold a 1Km lethal group with an SKS . not that I would want to waste my time trying to achieve a grouping at that range with one because that was not it's designed purpose . I agree whole heartedly with you on it's designed purpose and capabilities . it's a spray and pray firewood cutting sumbich .
I was merely stating that you could group conciderably tighter long range group with a taylored load in one that hadn't had 10,000 rounds worth of abuse . not that it would be much of a group but respectivly better than your run of the mill factory rounds like Fedeal , UMC and Remington just to name a few off the shelf Wal-Mart barrel foulers that wasn't including specalty rounds designed for tactical or competition purposes .
I hope that clears up what I was trying to convey
C.T. :wink:

ONAROLL
11-22-2004, 06:53 PM
:) I totally agree...........Vic

Dr. Eagle
11-22-2004, 07:14 PM
The ammo has a very distinctive odor too. My son has one, very accurate rifle...

miller19j
11-22-2004, 07:39 PM
yeh you can hit your mark at 500+ yards with factory ammunition but can you consistantly stack 5 or more rounds in a dime at that range like I can with hand load .270s ?
IÂ’m not trying to be a prick but are you saying that you are consistently putting five shot groups in the size of a dime at 500 yards with a .270?
A dime is approximately .500 so at 500 yards that is approximately .1 minute of angle. So that is saying that at 100 yards your shots are separated by approximately .1” about one third the diameter of your .270 round.
Please tell me that you meant 5 in a dime at 100?

Dr. Eagle
11-22-2004, 07:42 PM
IÂ’m not trying to be a prick but are you saying that you are consistently putting five shot groups in the size of a dime at 500 yards with a .270?
Depends on the Blood Alcohol Level... :wink:

schiada96
11-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Hit anything at 1000 yards is hard, anything smaller than a bus. This is my Sako ultra light hunter in .223 with a 3-9 leupold VX2 a proven coyote killer. Also a pet load for my .270 130 gr nosler bal tip with 50.3 gr imr 4350 and cci large rifle primer seated to within .010 of the rifling

miller19j
11-22-2004, 08:55 PM
Hit anything at 1000 yards is hard, anything smaller than a bus. This is my Sako ultra light hunter in .223 with a 3-9 leupold VX2 a proven coyote killer. Also a pet load for my .270 130 gr nosler bal tip with 50.3 gr imr 4350 and cci large rifle primer seated to within .010 of the riflingNice gun Schiada96 here is my Coyote/Squirrel shooter. It is a 6mm wildcat that pushes a 55gr ballistic tip just over 4000fps. LetÂ’s just say it does the trick. :D
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/147DCP_0007.jpg

schiada96
11-22-2004, 08:59 PM
6mm is a good one I have a heavy barel ruger in 6mm. Purple tips I know that bullet. 4000fps is fast for a .243 dia bullet

miller19j
11-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Yea it is a 257 Roberts case necked down then fire formed in the chamber. When formed it has the same powder capacity as a 30-06 case. The extra powder and long barrel really pay off in velocity. It has a pretty flat trajectory as well.

schiada96
11-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Yea it is a 257 Roberts case necked down then fire formed in the chamber. When formed it has the same powder capacity as a 30-06 case. The extra powder and long barrel really pay off in velocity. It has a pretty flat trajectory as well.
I have thought about rechambering my 6mm to a sharp shoulder case
but I don't shoot enough anymore to justify it. I have to drive way out to kern county out hwy 33 to shoot without any jackasses around too far to go to shoot.

miller19j
11-23-2004, 07:59 AM
IÂ’m pretty fortunate in that regard I have a 100 yard range right on our property. Actually I have shot Pigs, Deer, and Coyotes from my garage.
For a while I was building custom varmint rifles and was really into it. But now I hardly ever shoot anymore. Wildcats are great if your are trying to squeeze every last bit of velocity out of a rifle. But they are a pain to deal with. I wouldnÂ’t change yours unless you want to spend a lot of time at the reloading bench.
That Sako of yours is a nice gun I have a Sako in 22K Hornet it is one of my favorite rifles.

badbrad
11-23-2004, 08:00 AM
the longest shot i made was at over 3000 meters and i have a witness...

schiada96
11-23-2004, 08:18 AM
the longest shot i made was at over 3000 meters and i have a witness...
What did you hit a mountain.
lol

badbrad
11-23-2004, 08:28 AM
no, i actually shot a telephone pole in half....

schiada96
11-23-2004, 08:33 AM
no, i actually shot a telephone pole in half....
Ok I'm game what were you shooting with

badbrad
11-23-2004, 08:38 AM
ok you got me a m242 25mm bushmaster chain gun using HEIT rounds...i

Taylorman
11-23-2004, 08:45 AM
your not going to group for shit at any range with any firearm with factory loads as compaired to hand loads . yeh you can hit your mark at 500+ yards with factory ammunition but can you consistantly stack 5 or more rounds in a dime at that range like I can with hand load .270s ? hell no ! I'de bet you dollars on your pennies you can't !
I own several firearms that I hand load for including a Vanguard .270 that I still have the factory spec targets that were shiped with it when I ordered it from Weatherby more than 20 years ago. regardless of the of who made it or where you think you may heve seen it . Weatherby is stamped on it . and thats a hell of a note better than a Wal-Mart Marlin . I dont have any problem finding 160gr. ballistic tip .270 bullets maybe you need to look more and play keyboard Rambo less .
C.T. fired that shot :wink: I'm back out !
I guess that would be up to interprtation as to what you say is not grouping for shit. I hunt, im not a target shooter. That being said, i don't expect a gun to shoot 5 rounds in a dime at 500 yds, which I call bullshit on by the way. 1 MOA groups are just fine for me and my factory loaded ammo. I don't have time to handload, im always working on my boat or hunting. :D You would probably laugh if i told you what my primary deer rifle is and you would probably say that it can not "group for shit" but i'll say it anyway. I shoot a Browning BAR .270 and i shoot Winchester 130g ballistic silvertips. It shoot 1" groups at 100 yds all day long which is just fine for hunting. I elk hunt with a Remington 700 SS BDL in 7mm and Reminton ammo with the 150g Swift Scirroco (?spelling). It will shoot pretty good for factory ammo, about 1" at 200 yds. Ive killed 10 elk with it and love it.
Regarding the 160 g 270 bullets, what i meant was they are not available in a factory load by the major manufacturers. Why would you shoot such a big bullet in a 270 anyway. I don't even shoot a 160 in my 7mm.
I was just jerking your chain about the Vanguard. It really is not made by Weatherby. Its made by Howa. Still a decent gun i guess. Ive never owned one.
That Sako of yours is a nice gun I have a Sako in 22K Hornet it is one of my favorite rifles.
Sako's are my favorite bolt action rifle. I used to have one in 300 Weatherby. Holy shit that think kicked. I had it Magna Ported and would still kick my ass. Stepped down to a 7MM.
What did you hit a mountain.
lol
:D :D :D :D :D :D

badbrad
11-23-2004, 08:48 AM
http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/land/lav-25-dvic371.jpg

badbrad
11-23-2004, 08:56 AM
http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200422919180/$file/Release0070-2004-01low.jpg

badbrad
11-23-2004, 08:57 AM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:qmxwnXAHGucJ:http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200422919180/%24file/Release0070-2004-01low.jpg

miller19j
11-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Hey Brad is that a Stryker?
I work with the team that developed the turret for that vehicle. But now they are putting remote weapons stations on them.

badbrad
11-23-2004, 01:05 PM
Light Armored Vehichle 25 that was my hot boat back in the day. 65 mph road speed and 6 mph in the water... :crossx: