PDA

View Full Version : Post Partum Depression

Her454
11-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Im having a real hard time with all these women that are killing their children under the realm of "post partum depression". I dont want to sit here and judge something I know nothing about as I know depression can be a serious issue if not handled early on but I CANNOT understand how a woman can kill her children, no matter how hard I try. I never got any type of depression at all during or after with my pregnancy but maybe I was lucky? How many of you ladies got depressed after yours and how did you deal with it?
A lady I work with just took her grandbaby home from the burn center a few weeks ago...her DAUGHTER burned him very badly while "depressed" and now the mother is going to take care of him while the daughter spends time for child abuse and going through therapy so she can one day have her son back. WTF? What am I not getting here? I could NOT look this woman in the face and have any ounce of "sympathy" for her daughter and it was very apparent and I told her I didnt think she should ever have any more kids much less get her son back, period. She started to cry. Maybe Im just a heartless bitch but my kids come first, period.
Yesterday in Plano, Texas another "depressed" mother literally cut her 11 month olds arms off and he bled to death while she phoned 911.
Not too many years ago the mom that killed what...5 of her children? I just dont understand it. The lady I work with KNEW her daughter was depressed and didnt want to be a mom, but didnt do anything about it?
Am I crazy or is this starting to get more prevalant in todays society?

MsDrmr
11-23-2004, 09:17 AM
I am sure it can be tough, I was lucky enough to want to be pregnant, and want to be a mom. I never sufferd any depression after the birth of my son. The signs are so obvious, I don't see how the family & friends miss them :angry2:

11-23-2004, 09:20 AM
This woman in Texas has a history of Post Partum depression.....WTF???? she's been thru this before???? Why is she reproducing if she has a history of PPD? I hope this woman IS history.

Her454
11-23-2004, 09:20 AM
I was lucky enough to want to be pregnant, and want to be a mom.
Interesting statement. I cant imagine even if I didnt "want" to be a mom, killing - or injuring my children for that reason?

MsDrmr
11-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Interesting statement. I cant imagine even if I didnt "want" to be a mom, killing - or injuring my children for that reason?
I know that it's a chemical thing more than a mental thing. They either need to keep he individuals that are prone to this in the hospital longer, or have a nurse that checks in a couple times a day.
I can't imagine ever hurting a child much less killing a child the way women are doing today, I think post partum is now a socially recognized excuse for doing it. :mad: :crossx:

Her454
11-23-2004, 09:23 AM
This woman in Texas has a history of Post Partum depression.....WTF???? she's been thru this before???? Why is she reproducing if she has a history of PPD? I hope this woman IS history.
The lady a few years ago had a history ....a very lengthy history of it also, and had attempted suicide, told her husband and family she was not fit to be a mother, was on medication under a doctors care, and yet the physician released her...for whatever reasons...and 1 week later her children were dead and she now sits in prison.
In this case, more than just the mother need to bear responsibility for these senseless and tragic deaths.

Her454
11-23-2004, 09:26 AM
I think post partum is now a socially recognized excuse for doing it. :mad: :crossx:
Exactly the point of my thread. WHY is it being accepted? I love my daughter more than life itself but if she were to kill or injure her own child, or show signs of depression heading anywhere near that severe, I dont think I would EVER want her having more children, much less would I excuse it as horrific and sad as it may be. Im sure its a chemical imbalance, but why not treated correctly and why moreso now than in the past?

MsDrmr
11-23-2004, 09:31 AM
Exactly the point of my thread. WHY is it being accepted? I love my daughter more than life itself but if she were to kill or injure her own child, or show signs of depression heading anywhere near that severe, I dont think I would EVER want her having more children, much less would I excuse it as horrific and sad as it may be. Im sure its a chemical imbalance, but why not treated correctly and why moreso now than in the past?
I think as a society once there is a medical reason attached to a behavior, we tend to excuse the behavior, I don't know why is does not stop, we each person need to stand up and make waves for this to stop. If one person stands, and then others follow, eventually one voice becomes thousands

11-23-2004, 09:31 AM
The lady a few years ago had a history ....a very lengthy history of it also, and had attempted suicide, told her husband and family she was not fit to be a mother, was on medication under a doctors care, and yet the physician released her...for whatever reasons...and 1 week later her children were dead and she now sits in prison.
In this case, more than just the mother need to bear responsibility for these senseless and tragic deaths.
This is similar to the case also in Texas [maybe its something in the water] that killed her 3 or 4 kids and claimed PPD. Her husband should bear some responsiblity too as he was the one that encouraged her to have another baby....he should be sitting in the cell next to her.

11-23-2004, 09:33 AM
I think as a society once there is a medical reason attached to a behavior, we tend to excuse the behavior, I don't know why is does not stop, we each person need to stand up and make waves for this to stop. If one person stands, and then others follow, eventually one voice becomes thousands
In todays society everybody is a victim....of something.

Wally_Gator
11-23-2004, 09:36 AM
Ladies,
I was hoping this story would NOT make it onto the boards..
It just pisses me off.. I feel that sometimes I should not read or listen to the news. Can we cull the heard and take out some of these sick wackos that would not even give a helpless 11 month old a chance?
I think it was the day care center that called 911 and 911 called her.
Her husband called the day care to see how both she and the child were.
The day care said that they did not show up and called 911. 911 called the house and she admitted it.. Sick stupid bitvh needs to be drawn and quartered. I will stop for now...

rrrr
11-23-2004, 09:55 AM
This is similar to the case also in Texas [maybe its something in the water] that killed her 3 or 4 kids and claimed PPD. Her husband should bear some responsiblity too as he was the one that encouraged her to have another baby....he should be sitting in the cell next to her.
This is shocking and pisses me off at the same time. This woman lives about three miles from my house.
058 is right on. In the Houston case, her pathetic POS nut job husband sold their house and they lived in a school bus for a while. They bought another house when she had baby #4, and her problems were well known. Yet her dumbass husband decided #5 would be a good idea.
So she killed all five, drowned them one by one in the bathtub. Now he moans that he still loves her and takes Dr. Pepper and Baby Ruth candy bars when he visits her in jail. What a f*cking moron.
The deal yesterday was the same thing. She had a psychotic episode six days after baby #2 was born, yet #3 is brought into the world. Her husband is an idiot and should be prosecuted for neglect and culpability in the baby's death.
I can't believe how f*cking stupid these men are. :mad: :mad:

Her454
11-23-2004, 09:57 AM
I completely agree. To me its as ridiculous as the infamous "Twinky Defense" used in SF in the mid 80's if I remember correctly. PMS is even an excuse now for criminal behaviour and has been used as a defense. If more women are held accountable and NOT allowed to have any more children maybe this would decrease. Just a thought.
HE STILL SUPPORTS her. Incredible, and yes he should be sitting right next to her.

Her454
11-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Ladies,
I was hoping this story would NOT make it onto the boards..
I thought twice about posting the topic, but to me...not posting is almost as bad as excusing it. IT IS NOT going away. Like mrsdrmr mentioned...more people need to start doing something (what, I dont know) but the awareness needs to be out there thats for sure.

Cas
11-23-2004, 10:03 AM
My ex had it. I fought for almost 2 years to get my kids. Had numerous documents to prove an unfit mother.....attempted suicide, holes kicked in walls, child endangerment, physical threats against me and the kids left on my answering machine (not admissable) What a f'n nightmare!
The courts wouldn't and didn't agree with all I had, kept telling me that there's no real "signs" of the abuse...ie: physical marks.
1½ years and 4 seperate days in court, I finally got my kids but it took a horrendous act, which I don't feel I need to go into, to get them.
Total BS!!!!

Her454
11-23-2004, 10:05 AM
I am amazed at the response to this thread by my rep points. I could care less about the rep points, but its crazy that I received a few red, and some nasty comments for even posting the topic. WHY? It is what is happening here in the US to OUR children, and continues... your angry with me because Im trying to make people aware of it, or understand why it happens?
Your ingorance and anger will not bring back the children who have lost their lives, and ingnoring the fact they are dead will not make it go away either. OUR laws need to be changed to protect our children and I wont apologize for posting this.

dicudmore
11-23-2004, 10:06 AM
that's a terrible thing :(
something should definitely happen to these bitc**s :lightsabe

Cas
11-23-2004, 10:06 AM
this probably goes without saying but, some of you know what we went through. I'd like to ask not to post anything about it please.

Her454
11-23-2004, 10:12 AM
this probably goes without saying but, some of you know what we went through. I'd like to ask not to post anything about it please.
Steve, you went through and hell and back and your friends know how hard it was. I dont think anyone would invade your privacy like that.

Cas
11-23-2004, 12:03 PM
I had to come back from work, this was kind of bugging me.
PPD is a chemical imbalance that some women go through and is usually treatable with meds. When we were going through it, I often tried to get my wife to go to the doctor, wouldn't happen. I tried calling the Dr's myself, I spoke with her parents to see if they would help, nobody would step up. In hindsight, I probably should have just picked her up and taken her.
What it boils down to is you can't help someone that won't acknowledge a problem. Alcoholics, drug addicts, spendaholics, you name it, are all treatable but until that person admits it, not much can be done.
I'll be willing to bet there are many men in jail because of PPD, they just couldn't take it anymore and figured that killing was the easiest way out. The women feel the same way, trapped by their kids, depressed because they have a feeling of worthlessness, anxieties because of the big reponsiblity, hopelessness, anger but not understanding what they are doing.
There's a big failure in our system in regards to this. The Dr's hands are tied because of insurance companies, the therapists won't devulge information (my ex spent a week in a mental hospital, she was supposed to get the kids back after my weekend with them but she wasn't home. When she finally contacted me, she said she had to go to a conference for her job. 8 months later, we found out the truth but due to client privileges, it couldn't be brought up in court), the lawyers come up with excuses for their female clients and the courts usually give the kids to the mom unless there is absolute proof of abuse. The big problem with getting the proof is it's usually too late for the kids.
As far as the case in TX, the husband is really stuck between a rock and a hard place. In one hand, he loved his children and is devastated by what happened. On the other, he knows his wife needs help and wants to be there to help her.
Now I guess the big question, do I blame my ex for a lot that happened? To a point yes but I also take some blame as it could have been averted had I been stronger a couple of years previous.
btw, all my kids have come through it pretty darn good. :)

Her454
11-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Steve, that was painfully insightful. I truly feel for all you have had to endure with your children and this issue. You never really know the whole story of what goes on...just what is portrayed through the media when something gets to the tragic point.
I cant say enough how the laws need to be changed to protect the children in these situations rather than the parents who are seen as the victims until the children end up paying the ultimate price in the end.

billet racing
11-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Hard to beleive this happens. In our case, looking at that precious little cutie, we went and had another, and another, and another, and another. Whew, thats five. Wanted more but the brakes were put on. she was pregnant more than not. Now I'm ready for grand kids.
Hurt children, or anyone for that matter because your f' ed up. Take it out on yourself, and leave the rest of us to enjoy life. the wrong person lived in these cases.

Her454
11-23-2004, 12:32 PM
Hard to beleive this happens. In our case, looking at that precious little cutie, we went and had another, and another, and another, and another. Whew, thats five. Wanted more but the brakes were put on. she was pregnant more than not. Now I'm ready for grand kids.
Hurt children, or anyone for that matter because your f' ed up. Take it out on yourself, and leave the rest of us to enjoy life. the wrong person lived in these cases.
Maybe thats why this infuriates me so and its hard to understand as I lost 3 myself and would have given anything to have more children and could not.

oldbuck40
11-23-2004, 12:34 PM
CAS you are one strong SOB,, i can relate to what you are talking about,you cant drag them to the doctor unless they admit they have a problem. i lost my sister this august due to the fact that she had a problem and wouldnt admit to it.too many drugs! she finaly decided to get help and on the way to the doctor she passed out driving and hit a semi truck head on. but as far as these woman killing their kids,,, wtf were they thinking!!! i think its just an excuse to get out of being a parent??? i dont know. but damn what the hell did the kid do to deserve that....
stipid people shouldnt breed :hammerhea

Squirtin Thunder
11-23-2004, 12:39 PM
Steve,
I am glad that the kids are good. And I do understand the frustrations. It is hard to blame the ones you love. It is also hard to not stand together when raising a family. I mean the parents have to be one or the kids see it as a weekness and will use it against you. But at what time do you separate the unity and expect that things will be fine ???? I am not talking about devorce I am thanking about joint forces, Mom and Dad. I understand that if things ever get that bad you end up protecting the kids 100%, but what about before the worst case senario. At what point do you deside to creat the extra friction. I know sometimes my wife gets so pissed, just the tone in her voice, its like eval, I step in and say easy babe I will handle it. Or when I get so tired of saying the same thing over and over and over again and I get pissed ??? Where is that line or boumdry ??? Dammm where is that manuel ??? I think it got wet or something.
I have no idea what is the perfect way to raise my daughter but I try and do the best I can.
Jim
BTW - Most of the PPDS cases are copouts and the attorneys way to get a win or get there cliant or short term in prison. But that is my feeling on alot of things. People just need to take the responceblity for what they do.

Mrs_Wally_Gator
11-23-2004, 12:42 PM
these woman killing their kids,,, wtf were they thinking!!! i think its just an excuse to get out of being a parent??? i dont know. but damn what the hell did the kid do to deserve that....
stipid people shouldnt breed :hammerhea[/QUOTE]
Your Right, it is just an excuse to get out of being a parent. And they think if they plead that they had PPD that they will get off or get a lesser charge. I say FRY their sorry butts. If a person kills a child out of stupidity or because they do not want to be a parent, then that person does not deserve to live. Just my .02

Her454
11-23-2004, 12:43 PM
I know sometimes my wife gets so pissed, just the tone in her voice, its like eval,
Jim, Im going out on a limb here but I think you meant EVIL? Either way, I laughed my ass off. I know there is no humor to be found here and I dont mean any disrepect, your honesty just struck me as funny. :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Traci I understand the frustration you are going through with these woman that blame their kids for their misfortune . It pisses me off to here about these woman and I don't think I should continue to post on it.. I will never stop. :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: :burningm: sorry.

Squirtin Thunder
11-23-2004, 12:45 PM
Jim, Im going out on a limb here but I think you meant EVIL? Either way, I laughed my ass off. I know there is no humor to be found here and I dont mean any disrepect, your honesty just struck me as funny. :D
I am still having a hard time with the keyboard and can't see very well and my head still hurts and I am still a bit dizzy.
BTW - I can't spell anyway !!!
Jim

oldbuck40
11-23-2004, 12:54 PM
the real question is: what makes these people tick? its no different than a man beating the crap out of his wife and then claiming he was temporarly insane,and getting away with it. if these people have a problem and the doctors know about maybe they should be the one to step up and say somthing b/4 its too late.

BajaMike
11-23-2004, 12:59 PM
I am sure most of the above know more about this subject then I do, but in the Texas case where the woman killed her 5 children, I would hold the father and the medical doctors partially responsible.
As the information in the attached link describes, PPD occurs in only about 10% to 15% of sucessfull child births. But it occurs almost 100% of the time in mothers who have had it on previous child births. Someone should have stopped this couple from having babies long before they had 5 children for her to kill.
Info on PPD (http://www.obgyn.net/femalepatient/default.asp?page=leopold)
The above is an interesting article on the subject.

Her454
11-23-2004, 01:06 PM
"The children of these women also suffer because of this illness. Hospitalization of a mother in the early postpartum period increases the incidence of emotional disturbance in children. Conflicting results have been published regarding the effects on the social and emotional development of the children of patients who are not hospitalized, but long-term follow-up studies of up to 4 years suggest that depressive episodes in a mother during the postpartum period were linked to poorer cognitive test scores in their children.11"
Am I crazy here? I would rather risk low test scores or emotional disturbance rather than bury a child. Interesting article. And if so much research has been done why havent the laws changed to protect the children of such emotionally unstable women...when research has shown it is an 80% chance of recurrance?

oldbuck40
11-23-2004, 01:52 PM
"The children of these women also suffer because of this illness. Hospitalization of a mother in the early postpartum period increases the incidence of emotional disturbance in children. Conflicting results have been published regarding the effects on the social and emotional development of the children of patients who are not hospitalized, but long-term follow-up studies of up to 4 years suggest that depressive episodes in a mother during the postpartum period were linked to poorer cognitive test scores in their children.11"
Am I crazy here? I would rather risk low test scores or emotional disturbance rather than bury a child. Interesting article. And if so much research has been done why havent the laws changed to protect the children of such emotionally unstable women...when research has shown it is an 80% chance of recurrance?it all boils down to one thing (MONEY!)

JustMVG
11-23-2004, 02:03 PM
Too bad there is no test for the "chemical imbalance" when the pregnancy test all come out positive, if there is no harm to the child then get her started on the meds and hopefully we won't be reading about anymore of these stories.....MVG

billet racing
11-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Problem, is there are no rules to breeding. any teenager, drug addict or derelict can mate/breed. Any other country, and they would die from thier own actions, but here, we need to keep sending them welfare checks so they can breed more derelicts.

Desert Rat
11-23-2004, 03:28 PM
You need a license to have a dog but lets not infringe upon a womens right to have children...Yeah right. Lets face some people should just not breed!

Mrs.HLB
11-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Its pretty sad what these woman are doing. Maybe for selfish reasons of not wanting children but there husbands may? Who knows.. I just wish they would drop off the kids somewhere like a hospital or something so maybe someone else that wants kids can adopt them. I don't know. Those woman need to be gone from this world! :frown:

rrrr
11-23-2004, 08:23 PM
I forgot that another woman in Plano drowned her two kids last year, she was found to be insane in August and sentenced to a mental hospital for "an undetermined time". There was also a woman in Texas that recently STONED her two sons to death and received the same sentence. STONED (http://www.courttv.com/trials/laney/040304_verdict_ctv.html) DROWNED (http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/6927913.htm?1c)
I think these women are seriously effed up, but not so much as to realize that if the crime is horrific enough they will be found insane. The drowning was a copycat of the Houston murders, and I believe this most recent incident was premeditated to insure the perp would be found insane.