PDA

View Full Version : Leather vs. Cloth intereiors

nodigg
11-23-2004, 11:49 AM
Oaky, since I am already pissin' people off today, why is friggin' leather so popular in truck cabs? You sweat your ass off when its hot, it stains easily, tears and punctures, its COLD in the winter, it doesn't breath,(well the REALLY expensive stuff does....the only positive I can think of is that it smells nicer when its new. So I am biased. It is HARD to find a new truck with cloth! What am I missing here? Cloth is about one in fifty these days. Somebody tell me the logic behind this. Luxury cars I can understand maybe, but in a truck!?

IN2MX
11-23-2004, 11:51 AM
Oaky, since I am already pissin' people off today, why is friggin' leather so popular in truck cabs? You sweat your ass off when its hot, it stains easily, tears and punctures, its COLD in the winter, it doesn't breath,(well the REALLY expensive stuff does....the only positive I can think of is that it smells nicer when its new. So I am biased. It is HARD to find a new truck with cloth! What am I missing here? Cloth is about one in fifty these days. Somebody tell me the logic behind this. Luxury cars I can understand maybe, but in a truck!?
Easy clean-up.

Bre
11-23-2004, 11:53 AM
Makes it easier to cleanup when one of my kids spills their drink in the backseat.

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-23-2004, 11:53 AM
I agree easy clean up when you are a plumber and you have kids.. :)

Performance 19
11-23-2004, 11:55 AM
We always get leather. Still have a '94 chevy with leather, no stains, always got in wet at the river, no tears or punctues either. Because it is natural, I guess, never sweat in summer. Seat heaters for winter if it's that bad. Truck shopping 3 weeks ago, and almost all had cloth. Just my opinion.

Havasu Hangin'
11-23-2004, 11:55 AM
I agree easy clean up when you are a plumber and you have kids.. :)
...or if you are not a plumber and have kids... ;)
My buddy's cloth Sub stunk like stale milk...and he couldn't get it out. :supp:

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-23-2004, 11:56 AM
...or if you are not a plumber and have kids... ;)
My buddy's cloth Sub stunk like stale milk...and he couldn't get it out. :supp:
LOL!! stale milk Yeah right.. that's what he told you.. LOL!! :idea: :D :D

Havasu Hangin'
11-23-2004, 11:58 AM
LOL!! stale milk Yeah right.. that's what he told you.. LOL!! :idea: :D :D
No kidding...I had to ride with the damn windows down. It reminded me of that Seinfeld episode..
Can you say, "trade-in"? :rolleyes:

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-23-2004, 12:00 PM
No kidding...I had to ride with the damn windows down. It reminded me of that Seinfeld episode..
Can you say, "trade-in"? :rolleyes:
stale milk is very hard to get out(smell) we had cloth one time and traded it in because I could keep it clean with baby bottles full of milk falling between the seats. :jawdrop:

miller19j
11-23-2004, 12:03 PM
All this leather talk is getting me aroused!
Miller(Has been a Bad Boy)19j :D

Havasu Hangin'
11-23-2004, 12:03 PM
stale milk is very hard to get out(smell) we had cloth one time and traded it in because I could keep it clean with baby bottles full of milk falling between the seats. :jawdrop:
Yep. The worse part is that it only takes a few drops of milk in the cloth, and it's there FOREVER.
I've found milk (and juice) cups that have been under the seat for days... :supp:

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:10 PM
So what you folks are sayin' is everthing I thought to be true about leather is false? The last two trucks I owned were cloth, (200,000 miles on a tahoe with no stains or stink), 40,000 on my '04 Avalanche and no stink and VERY comfortable. Anyone live in the dessert with leather? That's gotta be a bitch cooling down in the summer right???

superdave013
11-23-2004, 12:11 PM
It's hard to get dog fur off the Cloth.
Wife's burb has leather and my truck has cloth. I wish I wouldn't have been a cheepO when I bought mine.

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:12 PM
We always get leather. Still have a '94 chevy with leather, no stains, always got in wet at the river, no tears or punctues either. Because it is natural, I guess, never sweat in summer. Seat heaters for winter if it's that bad. Truck shopping 3 weeks ago, and almost all had cloth. Just my opinion.
What city were you looking in? I gotta get out there to look! OC is all leather.

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-23-2004, 12:12 PM
So what you folks are sayin' is everthing I thought to be true about leather is false? The last two trucks I owned were cloth, (200,000 miles on a tahoe with no stains or stink), 40,000 on my '04 Avalanche and no stink and VERY comfortable. Anyone live in the dessert with leather? That's gotta be a bitch cooling down in the summer right???
I don't think anyone is saying you are wrong. If it works for you it just may not work for others,.. thats all. :)

dimarcobros
11-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Leather is the only way to go in my opinion. Makes the car smell much better, easy clean up, looks better, feels better, and everything else that everyone else has already said.
DMB

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:15 PM
Wife's burb has leather and my truck has cloth. I wish I wouldn't have been a cheepO when I bought mine.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Leather sounds so much more "upscale". I don't buy cloth because it costs less. I buy it for comfort. Question is, are we all just so in to the "expensive" auroa of leather we justify it or does it really perform better? I honestly want to know 'cause I really don't get it. I have it in the wife's Beemer, but it is not a work/play truck, its for dress up events.

HCS
11-23-2004, 12:15 PM
I don't like leather either. Looks like shit when it gets old. And with the crappy Mexican leather cows there's using it doesn't take verry long.

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't think anyone is saying you are wrong. If it works for you it just may not work for others,.. thats all. :)
Its okay if I am wrong. Just want someone to 'splain it to me is all. :D

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:18 PM
Maybe I need to get a dog to understand then? :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
LOL!! you can't be wrong if it works for you. it is what makes you happy. not someone else. :cool: :smile:

Havasu Hangin'
I think she's saying that there is no "right or wrong"...only "personal preference".
I prefer leather...but my cars aren't trucks. :cool:

waterwitch
11-23-2004, 12:20 PM
Both of our trucks have leather and it sucks!
When the temp outside is 122.. guess what.
so is that leather. I would do anything for clothe.
Yes it's better when it comes to spills, but frying my ass
of for 9 months isn't fun either. Or how about when you
get out.. your skin sticks to the leather... oh thats
attractive.
One +++++ when you are wet from the lake.. it wipes up
dry fast. The only + in my book.

welk2party
11-23-2004, 12:27 PM
My trucks have been leather and I love it. I never had a big problem with the heat in the summer with my tinted windows.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
11-23-2004, 12:29 PM
trucks should have vinyl seats IMO. what happened to the good ole days. seat gets dirty.....break out the comet and a water hose. Leather dries out and requires work to stay nice. And yes it gets hot in the summer. especially dark leather.
I hate the cloth seats in my Sierra. the shit is like velcro. I cuss the cloth seats everytime I get in my truck with slacks on. our Tahoe has leather and it has it's bonuses, but I am already seeing the driver seat wear along the edge where people SLIDE in and out of it.
When my cloth wears out in my truck or I just get sick of it I will be having them recovered in vinyl.
Omega

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-23-2004, 12:30 PM
My trucks have been leather and I love it. I never had a big problem with the heat in the summer with my tinted windows.
I always carry a towel under the seat for the extra hot days.. :wink:

Dusty Times
11-23-2004, 12:30 PM
I hated leather until about eight years ago my wife bought an Explorer with leather. I was very against leather for the same reasons you are. Now her BMW and my F-350 both have leather and love it. Every vehicle we have sold still looked brand new inside. We live in the desert and it cools off quickly with AC and heated seats work well right now.
We also have leather funiture in the living room and I have grown to HATE IT. It doesn't feel like you sink into it to relax.
I guess I agree with both sides but the wife says everything stays leather until the kids quit spilling.

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:32 PM
LOL!! you can't be wrong if it works for you. it is what makes you happy. not someone else. :cool: :smile:
The reason I am asking is, I am looking at new trucks right now and can't find what I want unless it has leather. Seems all the other options I want, dictate the buyer will want leather. (4WD/diesel/crew) So, since I don't want to order one I may be stuck, (no pun intended) with leather.

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:34 PM
Both of our trucks have leather and it sucks!
When the temp outside is 122.. guess what.
so is that leather. I would do anything for clothe.
Yes it's better when it comes to spills, but frying my ass
of for 9 months isn't fun either. Or how about when you
get out.. your skin sticks to the leather... oh thats
attractive.
One +++++ when you are wet from the lake.. it wipes up
dry fast. The only + in my book.
The heat problem is kinda where I am coming from. I work in Havi and it gets HOT! Leather will HURT you I hear and I tend to believe it. :idea:

MRS FLYIN VEE
11-23-2004, 12:34 PM
The reason I am asking is, I am looking at new trucks right now and can't find what I want unless it has leather. Seems all the other options I want, dictate the buyer will want leather. (4WD/diesel/crew) So, since I don't want to order one I may be stuck, (no pun intended) with leather.
oh I see.. well if you have to get leather . you can always get nice seat covers. LOL!! then you will be 1/2 happy.. :shift:

superdave013
11-23-2004, 12:36 PM
I think you hit the nail on the head. Leather sounds so much more "upscale". I don't buy cloth because it costs less. I buy it for comfort. Question is, are we all just so in to the "expensive" auroa of leather we justify it or does it really perform better? I honestly want to know 'cause I really don't get it. I have it in the wife's Beemer, but it is not a work/play truck, its for dress up events.
Well really it has nothing to do with "upscale". Our trucks sit right next to each other in the driveway. When I hop out of mine and get in hers I notice how much I like the seats right away. The leather seats are more comfortable IMHO. but hey, if you don't want it then don't get it. They can get you a truck with out. (just might have to bring one in from the 909! haha J/K)

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:38 PM
trucks should have vinyl seats IMO. what happened to the good ole days. seat gets dirty.....break out the comet and a water hose. Leather dries out and requires work to stay nice. And yes it gets hot in the summer. especially dark leather.
I hate the cloth seats in my Sierra. the shit is like velcro. I cuss the cloth seats everytime I get in my truck with slacks on. our Tahoe has leather and it has it's bonuses, but I am already seeing the driver seat wear along the edge where people SLIDE in and out of it.
When my cloth wears out in my truck or I just get sick of it I will be having them recovered in vinyl.
Omega
Dude, you ARE old school! lol! Evertytime I get a new big rig with plastic seats the first thing I have the shop do is replace it with cloth for driver comfort. You must be HARD! :eek: :D

nodigg
11-23-2004, 12:39 PM
I always carry a towel under the seat for the extra hot days.. :wink:
And there ya' go! :cry: :)

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
11-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Dude, you ARE old school! lol! Evertytime I get a new big rig with plastic seats the first thing I have the shop do is replace it with cloth for driver comfort. You must be HARD! :eek: :D
a truck was originally designed as a farm implement. It was all about function before comfort. Society has changed the truck into a luxury vehicle with superior sound systems, plush leather interior, color keyed carpet mats, etc. I started out with a '79 chevy BIG 10. It had a vinyl bench seat, rubber floor mat, single 4x10 speaker in the dash with an 8-track am radio. It did have power door locks and windows. That my friend was a REAL truck.
I could take that truck hunting and get it stuck in the mud and get mud up to my elbows and not worry about getting the carpet dirty or getting mud on the seats. On the way home stop at the car wash and open the doors, grab the pressure washer and clean it out.
And it also served it's function as reliable transportation to and from work. It would clean up fairly nice and I never had a problem coaxing the girlies into the cab with me. Which brings up another question. What happened to the ole bench seat. My truck now has a 40/20/40 thing but not the same. that old '79 bench seat was the size of a couch. Didn't need a back seat in that truck :devil: damn I miss that truck.
Omega

nodigg
11-23-2004, 01:27 PM
That's one of my other gripes right now. I have the split bench now and had it in the Tahoe too. Came in real handy for carrying the max load of kids and adults. Hard to get anything but buckets in a crew cab. I thought it was for carrying a "crew" ? Why cut out the 6th seat??

HOOTER SLED-
11-23-2004, 01:33 PM
I like my leather. Easy clean-up if you get spillage from road head. Thats if there is any spillage. Gulp. :devil:

IN2MX
11-23-2004, 02:02 PM
Makes it easier to cleanup when one of my kids spills their drink in the backseat.
Not the kinda clean-up I was thinking :rolleyes: but thats probably true too!! :)

IN2MX
11-23-2004, 02:03 PM
I like my leather. Easy clean-up if you get spillage from road head. Thats if there is any spillage. Gulp. :devil:
Exactly! :D

waterwitch
11-23-2004, 02:47 PM
Now back to reality....
:D

No Regrets
11-23-2004, 03:57 PM
Cloth= fart stank retention, but cooler in the heat
Leather= good smell, crackly look after time.
Gottem both and Ill always pick cloth first.

HOOTER SLED-
11-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Now back to reality....
:D
No............REALLY. :rollside:

jbtrailerjim
11-23-2004, 04:20 PM
My truck and the wifes car both have leather. This is my first truck with leather and I love it. I don't think I'll ever own another vehicle with cloth interior. The way my kids fling there freakin sippie cups around inside our vehicles I can just imagine what my interior would like if I had cloth still. Milk stains galore:hammer2:

Jordy
11-23-2004, 04:25 PM
I felt the same way before I bought my truck, then, a year and a half later, I'll never buy another truck without the leather. It's soooo nice, even when compared to my company truck with the cloth.
As far as the seats getting hot, they make this stuff called tint and it works wonders. My front is done and that's the best thing I've ever done. Blocks out all the heat (or most of it anyway) and the truck stays cool, even in the summertime. I don't even have to carry a towel or get seat covers because the seats don't get hot.

waterwitch
11-23-2004, 04:29 PM
What your idea of "heat" is
and what Havasu Heat is... are two major
differences. When they talk about the weather
in the USA... check who is the HOT spot in the
nation. Lake Havasu City or Death Valley.
Yep our window are tinted as well. We put up
sunscreens.. It's just freakin hot.. and the leather
stick to ya. Just my own observations.

ROZ
11-23-2004, 04:30 PM
I once dated a chick who left a wet spot the size of a meduim pizza on the front seat... I shoulda bought leather! :D

Jordy
11-23-2004, 04:33 PM
What your idea of "heat" is
and what Havasu Heat is...
Yeah, I live in Phoenix genius. I know what heat is. :rolleyes:

waterwitch
11-23-2004, 04:38 PM
Good! Now you know what I am talking
about.. Thanks for the genius thing....
Hope to see ya on Canyon Lake sometime :devil:

77charger
11-23-2004, 04:41 PM
leather is fine for a car IMO.As for trucks seems that after a couple of years it starts cracking and looks like crap.I went with cloth becuase i get into my truck with wet shorts,its hot outside cloth is cool to touch,

nodigg
11-23-2004, 06:04 PM
Great response on this issue. I just came back from trying to get a test drive. Took a long trip in the dealers Suburban with leather to drive a cloth truck back from a storage lot. Never found the cloth truck out of about 200 trucks but what an education about Chevy leather. Felt like vinyl and got my butt and back hot in 60 degree? weather while not working and no Havasu sun beating down with the windows rolled up all day at the launch ramp. I was tempted to go with the leather, but not anymore. Guess Iwill have to order a bench with cloth and spray leather smell every day! I must just be too hot blooded for leather!

nodigg
11-23-2004, 06:05 PM
BTW, ya' know, you can clean cloth too................

Ziggy
11-23-2004, 06:17 PM
I'm with Nodigg on this one--Cloth for the truck, won't leave your skin on the seat like leather in the heat. and you don't have to carry an extra towel. Keep the kids drinks under control and the problem's solved, its my friends that can't hold on to their 44oz big gulps I have to worry about.
BTW Jordy----its illegal for us Taxifornians to have tint on our front windows...and we're all law abiding citizens here ya know :D :D

haulina29
11-23-2004, 08:00 PM
FYI the only leather on General Motors leather seats is the center strip where you sit every thing else synthetic .

BrendellaJet
11-23-2004, 08:02 PM
Dude, you're over it. Dodges leather sucks big time!

Jordy
11-23-2004, 08:22 PM
BTW Jordy----its illegal for us Taxifornians to have tint on our front windows
When I was talking front, I was talking windshield. It's not dark at all, really can't tell it's done. It's not about the darkness, it's about keeping the UV rays out. ;)

nodigg
11-23-2004, 10:10 PM
When I was talking front, I was talking windshield. It's not dark at all, really can't tell it's done. It's not about the darkness, it's about keeping the UV rays out. ;)
Its true Jordy, here in Crowdifornia, no tent allowed on the side windows up front. Arizona does allow it though. Got my fix-it ticket to back this one up.

Racer277
11-23-2004, 10:50 PM
I'm with you NoDigg. We've always gone with cloth. We drive our vehicles into the ground, leather would look terrible, and is hot.
The only thing that has me thinking is have leather underneath, and cloth covers for easy cleaning (I put covers on my cloth seats anyway).
Might be best of both worlds, but what a waste of cow.
R277

Jordy
11-24-2004, 08:21 AM
Its true Jordy, here in Crowdifornia, no tent allowed on the side windows up front.
The point I was making, is you can tint it light, like undectable light, as in looks like no tint at all, and it will block the UV's and keep the truck cool. It's the UV's that cause the heat, not the light. Dark just looks cool. :D

Unforgiven
11-24-2004, 09:01 AM
I'm with you NoDigg. We've always gone with cloth. We drive our vehicles into the ground, leather would look terrible, and is hot.
The only thing that has me thinking is have leather underneath, and cloth covers for easy cleaning (I put covers on my cloth seats anyway).
R277
Hey Shawn, didn't hear you complain when the Mrs got the new leather thong :)

nodigg
11-24-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally Posted by Racer277
R277
Hey Shawn, didn't hear you complain when the Mrs got the new leather thong :)
R277, don't you put a cloth cover over that too most of the time though?
(I'm not touching that "cow" part at all!) :rollside:

coolchange
11-24-2004, 09:38 AM
In American cars with leather you are still stting on vinyl. There is a coat of vinyl over the leather to protect it and retain the color dyes. You just get the "hand" of leather and thats what feels better than vinyl. Euro cars have mostly true leather sesats and thats why they go bad sooner.

nodigg
11-24-2004, 09:52 AM
In American cars with leather you are still stting on vinyl. There is a coat of vinyl over the leather to protect it and retain the color dyes. You just get the "hand" of leather and thats what feels better than vinyl. Euro cars have mostly true leather sesats and thats why they go bad sooner.
That would explain the "SWEAT" factor.