PDA

View Full Version : Do Deck Boats Swamp More Easily

dirty old man
04-17-2006, 09:54 AM
Just wondering if people have more trouble when caught in the wind or high swells, if deck boats swamp easier than other styles

HM
04-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Only deckboats that are not made by Howard. :argue:
:) :) :)

Keith E. Sayre
04-17-2006, 10:00 AM
I have never heard of a deckboat sinking until last year when one went down
by the Nautical Inn when about 8 boats went down and now this one. But
boats sink in the rear with the combined weight of the motor and the water
push them under. We put 3 bilge pumps in our boats all in the rear, one in
each sponson with auto floats. Although the front end is lower than some
and open, historically they have a great reputation for NOT sinking in storms
and rough water, probably due to the fact that they can pump so much out.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats

welk2party
04-17-2006, 10:02 AM
Yes and No. :) If you spear a wave or waves come over the front, there is nothing to deflect the water. The walkthrough in the back can be a place to take on some water as well. Just like many other boats, knowing your boat and how to handle it in the water is a big factor.

Phat Matt
04-17-2006, 10:02 AM
I would rather not spear a wave with mine because it would be like a big shovel. My bow sits up pretty high so it would have to be pretty bad out or have to hit just right. It's not something I would like to have happen, that's for sure.
http://www.eticketboats.com/Luxury_Cat/2004_gallery/images/19.jpg
(Not my boat, just the same hull as a reference)

riverracerx
04-17-2006, 10:32 AM
Matt, when did you paint your boat orage and purple? ;)

Phat Matt
04-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Matt, when did you paint your boat orage and purple? ;)
I only use this one on Mondays. ;)

boatnam2
04-17-2006, 10:48 AM
i dont think it matters if your in a deck boat or a cat of equal size if you stuff it enough in either your in big trouble.i kinda wondered about it when i took a test ride in a magic deckboat at havsu in huge swells not going in to the wind but down wind.

dirty old man
04-17-2006, 01:37 PM
Thanks, Kieth. Interesting

burtandnancy
04-17-2006, 02:16 PM
In 30 years of boating I only stuffed once, but the boat had a deck on it and we were wearing jackets and helmets, no injuries except to the boat. Wonder if anyone here has experienced a stuff or swamping with an open bowed boat or one with a walk thru transom. As Kieth points out, with plenty of bilge pumps it shouldn't be a serious problem in most cases...

bohica
04-17-2006, 02:27 PM
I had my Conquest out in Parker last Friday when the wind was howling. There were some good 3' rollers and whitecaps everywhere. Took a 2 good swells up over the deck, bildge pumps had no problem pumping the water out. Only went a few hundred yards and decided to turn into the keys to crusie around and show some friends the sights, then straight back to our dock. Definitely not a day to be boating, spent the rest of the day tied up to the dock. I did see a 34' Advantage deck making a run in the big water. It was cool to see that thing launch and get completely out of the water a few times.

SmokinLowriderSS
04-17-2006, 03:24 PM
that bowriders are known as "lake-shovels". :crossx: :crossx:
A good set of bilge pumps SHOULD to be able to deal with freakish things. I wonder just how many the sunk deck on Havasu took to swamp it like that, or was there a failure in the bilge-pump system? :idea:

Mrs 2LKHVSU
04-17-2006, 03:32 PM
So far... so good in our Eliminator Deck Boat. :)

77charger
04-17-2006, 03:37 PM
Only went a few hundred yards and decided to turn into the keys to crusie around and show some friends the sights, then straight back to our dock.
Kinda like the jungle cruise at disneyland over there folks is the famous rd and friends taking a break from a cocktail cruise :rollside: :rollside:

Cole91
04-17-2006, 03:45 PM
Only deckboats that are not made by Howard. :argue:
:) :) :)
Oh no, you did not just carry that over from the sunkin eliminator thread did you? thats focked up right there :argue:

chub
04-17-2006, 04:19 PM
I had my Conquest out in Parker last Friday when the wind was howling. There were some good 3' rollers and whitecaps everywhere. Took a 2 good swells up over the deck, bildge pumps had no problem pumping the water out. Only went a few hundred yards and decided to turn into the keys to crusie around and show some friends the sights, then straight back to our dock. Definitely not a day to be boating, spent the rest of the day tied up to the dock. I did see a 34' Advantage deck making a run in the big water. It was cool to see that thing launch and get completely out of the water a few times.
MEOW!!!!!! HOWZIT? FAG!!!! MISSING THE 34' MAGIC????

SnakeWrench
04-17-2006, 08:20 PM
I have never heard of a deckboat sinking until last year when one went down
by the Nautical Inn when about 8 boats went down and now this one. But
boats sink in the rear with the combined weight of the motor and the water
push them under. We put 3 bilge pumps in our boats all in the rear, one in
each sponson with auto floats. Although the front end is lower than some
and open, historically they have a great reputation for NOT sinking in storms
and rough water, probably due to the fact that they can pump so much out.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
I agree with Kieth. I have never seen any evidence to say that deck boats are more sinkable than any other boats. One thing to remember, as Kieth said, is that deck boats are compartmentalized and indevidual pumps are in each compartment again with auto floats. If anything, they should have a smaller chance of swamping than any other type of boat.

Partycattin
04-18-2006, 02:38 PM
That's known as the "Automatic interior cleaner".
I usually don't get much while cruising across the lake. I can swamp the people sitting in the front when we're circling around to pickup a wakeboarder!

SmokinLowriderSS
04-18-2006, 05:34 PM
I can swamp the people sitting in the front when we're circling around to pickup a wakeboarder!
I can do that too, 'course, without a lake-shov :crossx: errr bowrider, it just gets the Admiral & I wet when it washes over the windshield. I have to be at idle to do it and catch the shut-down wake juuuuust right.

Froggystyle
04-18-2006, 06:11 PM
Kind of funny that this is getting brought up. I have been agonizing over whether or not to "do it like everyone else" or do what I thought was right.
Most boats drain into the bilge, and is then pumped out. I really didn't like that idea because even though it is easy, it created a situation where if you brought enough water on combined with a bilge pump failure the boat would go down. Additionally, you can take the water over the front a lot easier than you can pump it out.
We designed the boat to hold the entire inner liner full of water and still be functional and navigable. Additionally, once you jump on it, 80% will go out the rear entry door. In now-classic Trident style, we decided that wasn't good enough. (Translation: Take six more months to bring the boat to market to get it right... lose money in the meantime... ;) )
Our solution was to drain the liner straight through the transom with a -12 line. This will quickly de-water the boat if full, not fill the sponsons or center sponson/engine compartment with any water and a check valve keeps water from coming the other direction. Kind of like an extended scupper on a Navy ship.
I thought it was overkill until I saw the pic of the Eliminator submerged. Then I was glad we neurosed over it. You can sink a boat that is taking on more than you are dumping out, and even though you may end up up to your knees in water in a Revolution, it shouldn't go down under any circumstance.
I am just glad that happened close to shore instead of on the big blue or out in the middle of Powell or Mead on a big day. I am glad everyone is OK, and maybe we will all put some more energy into making them a little safer as a result.

Froggystyle
04-18-2006, 06:13 PM
I agree with Kieth. I have never seen any evidence to say that deck boats are more sinkable than any other boats. One thing to remember, as Kieth said, is that deck boats are compartmentalized and indevidual pumps are in each compartment again with auto floats. If anything, they should have a smaller chance of swamping than any other type of boat.
I disagree. See earlier post. If the exit to dump water is higher than your lowest seat base, you can bring on a LOT more water than you can pump out... which is clearly what happened here.

JB in so cal
04-19-2006, 02:35 PM
Yes and No. :) If you spear a wave or waves come over the front, there is nothing to deflect the water. The walkthrough in the back can be a place to take on some water as well. Just like many other boats, knowing your boat and how to handle it in the water is a big factor.
NO SHIAT!!!
http://www.strangevehicles.com/images/content/114366.jpg

Fast Freddy
04-19-2006, 03:39 PM
damn that is one wild pic. imagine bein in the bar at the front of that boat and seein that wave comin at you. i am not sure who would be drinkin more heavily though..............me or the boat

burtandnancy
04-19-2006, 04:08 PM
Looks to me like all those shutters or visors on the front of the upper cabins are already bend up. That had to be one fun trip.
On a smaller scale, how would an open deck boat handle such a stuff...

me4drvr
04-19-2006, 04:44 PM
Just gotta know your boat... I remember way back when, I had a sea-doo sportster and would bury the thing and fill it up, but it had a cool drain that went out the back and the faster you went the more vacuum it created to get the water out. IMO, that is the best way to get it out, it never touched the bilge. Similar to if you forget the drain plug, punch it and create the vacuum effect out the plug.

beyondhelpin
04-19-2006, 07:02 PM
Kind of funny that this is getting brought up. I have been agonizing over whether or not to "do it like everyone else" or do what I thought was right.
Most boats drain into the bilge, and is then pumped out. I really didn't like that idea because even though it is easy, it created a situation where if you brought enough water on combined with a bilge pump failure the boat would go down. Additionally, you can take the water over the front a lot easier than you can pump it out.
We designed the boat to hold the entire inner liner full of water and still be functional and navigable. Additionally, once you jump on it, 80% will go out the rear entry door. In now-classic Trident style, we decided that wasn't good enough. (Translation: Take six more months to bring the boat to market to get it right... lose money in the meantime... ;) )
Our solution was to drain the liner straight through the transom with a -12 line. This will quickly de-water the boat if full, not fill the sponsons or center sponson/engine compartment with any water and a check valve keeps water from coming the other direction. Kind of like an extended scupper on a Navy ship.
I thought it was overkill until I saw the pic of the Eliminator submerged. Then I was glad we neurosed over it. You can sink a boat that is taking on more than you are dumping out, and even though you may end up up to your knees in water in a Revolution, it shouldn't go down under any circumstance.
I am just glad that happened close to shore instead of on the big blue or out in the middle of Powell or Mead on a big day. I am glad everyone is OK, and maybe we will all put some more energy into making them a little safer as a result.
Seal training? :crossx: