PDA

View Full Version : Duramax exhaust for the LLY.......

IN2MX
11-25-2004, 07:10 PM
So, what is the hot set-up?
Cat back or Turbo back exhaust system?
Aluminum or Stainless?
What manufacturer did you guys go with? Gibson, Banks, Mprb or ????
With the Edge Juice and the extra exhaust soot that comes out of the tailpipe, is there a problem with the soot getting on your boat while towing?
And, where can I get the best price?
:D

Sane Asylum
11-25-2004, 08:52 PM
IN2........Try this..
www.thedieselplace.com (http://www.thedieselplace.com)
Get ready for some diesel fanatic forum chit.....Kinda makes my head hurt sometimes..... :frown:

IN2MX
11-25-2004, 10:28 PM
IN2........Try this..
www.thedieselplace.com (http://www.thedieselplace.com)
Get ready for some diesel fanatic forum chit.....Kinda makes my head hurt sometimes..... :frown:
Ok, thanks. I have been there before. So, its basically ***boat for diesels huh? :D

Jordy
11-27-2004, 04:13 PM
I have Gibson on mine and love it. Sounds good, not too loud either. I can get Gibson for you and do a 3rd party pickup, basically, you go to their shop in Corona and grab it. It will save you the tax. ;)

Magic34
11-28-2004, 08:58 AM
I think there is a new exhaust called Silverline and it's supposed to be a pretty hot set up. I'll check on Monday or Tuesday and let you know if I have the name right.

STV_Keith
11-29-2004, 09:44 AM
Most places will sell a cat-back only. With the cat in place, there is no point in changing the downpipe...just more money for nothing. The cat is the restriction. Now, if you - the owner - choose to remove it, then the downpipe may help as well.
Aluminized vs stainless... SS is more expensive, and typically has more "ring" to it as it has a higher tensile strength to the material itself. Most aluminized systems are lifetime guaranteed (at least ours are) which negates the "stainless won't rust and lasts longer" argument. Aluminized also has a better expansion/contraction rate than SS, making it less suceptible to fatigue and fracture.
The smoke/soot output will be solely controlled by your right foot, or the "responsiveness" setting in the Attitude. :)

Jordy
11-29-2004, 10:08 AM
Most places will sell a cat-back only. With the cat in place, there is no point in changing the downpipe...just more money for nothing. The cat is the restriction. Now, if you - the owner - choose to remove it, then the downpipe may help as well.
However, there was an issue with a guy over on RRL who pulled the cat off his LLY and started getting error codes. Apparently there is some sensor that reads the backpressure and knows if you pull the cat, as he put it back on and it went away. At least it seems that is what the scenario was. I'd just do the cat back and call it good. :wink:

MACH26
11-29-2004, 03:32 PM
However, there was an issue with a guy over on RRL who pulled the cat off his LLY and started getting error codes. Apparently there is some sensor that reads the backpressure and knows if you pull the cat, as he put it back on and it went away. At least it seems that is what the scenario was. I'd just do the cat back and call it good. :wink:
Just did this exact same thing. Stick with the cat-back only.
Javier

Froggystyle
11-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Underexposed, but the Bassani system IMO looks the coolest and sounds the deepest and quietest. I think the diesels are loud enough. The Bassani sounds like a quieted big block.
Plus, it has a tip the size of a trash can. ;)

Eliminator 4 Life
11-30-2004, 01:51 AM
I think there is a new exhaust called Silverline and it's supposed to be a pretty hot set up. I'll check on Monday or Tuesday and let you know if I have the name right.
Magic I got a SS 6 inch tip on my truck made by silverline it is pretty sick Ill try and get a pic up for you in the morning. Did you find out if they make an exhaust system??

mbrown2
11-30-2004, 11:51 AM
MBRP Stainless......sounds like a quiet jet plane at idle...6" Tip as well.

BLOWN HOWARD
11-30-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey Mike you get the chip for that beast yet? What kind of mileage you getting with it now?

IN2MX
12-01-2004, 02:05 PM
Hey Mike you get the chip for that beast yet? What kind of mileage you getting with it now?
Yes, I got the Edge Juice with Attitude monitor......What a GREAT product. HP and Torque gains are amazing.
As far as fuel mileage is concerned, I am currently getting approx 13 mpg. I am not sure if it helps mileage or not, being that I drive like a maniac, only have 800 miles on my truck, and I run the JUICE on level 4 RACE, not level 1 mileage.
To be honest with you, it's very difficult to drive it easy with the JUICE. It is just toooo much fun to stomp on the OMG pedal coupled with the fact that when you do, the amount of exhaust that comes out of the tailpipe will blow little kids off the corner! GOOD TIMES! :D

IN2MX
12-01-2004, 02:12 PM
Thank you everyone for the replies. I really appreciate all the info. :D
I am thinking I will go with eithier the Gibson or MBRP stainless (warranty) depending on which one is more cost effective, from the cat converter back (Although I really want Turbo back but dont want any SES light issues)

Eliminator 4 Life
12-01-2004, 03:25 PM
I talked to Magna Flow at the Sema show they have a 4 inch turbo back that wont throw any codes or ses lights something to think about

PHX ATC
12-01-2004, 03:37 PM
I am thinking I will go with eithier the Gibson or MBRP stainless (warranty) depending on which one is more cost effective, from the cat converter back (Although I really want Turbo back but dont want any SES light issues)
I've got a MBRP on my wife's 2004 Dodge Cummins.
I like it.

mbrown2
12-02-2004, 02:29 PM
I get the check engine light coming on and off and took it in....after a couple of attempts to clear permanently, they said it was due to lack of backpressure from the exhaust...I don't notice any change when the light comes on...

mbrown2
12-02-2004, 02:29 PM
Not sure which Mike you were talking to, but I am getting around 16....no chip.

BLOWN HOWARD
12-03-2004, 06:52 AM
Not sure which Mike you were talking to, but I am getting around 16....no chip.
Is the 16 on the freeway, I got 11 towing the 15,000lb trailer over thanksgiving with plenty of power!!!!

Kilrtoy
12-04-2004, 12:37 AM
It is just toooo much fun to stomp on the OMG pedal coupled with the fact that when you do, the amount of exhaust that comes out of the tailpipe will blow little kids off the corner! GOOD TIMES! :D
WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING TO LITTLE KIDS :mad: