PDA

View Full Version : Gas or Electric Dryer???

Kachina26
11-28-2004, 09:06 PM
Building a house out at the Zoo and wifey wants a gas dryer. Well, that means propane. I say electric. What's the diff? What are your experiences?

Racer277
11-28-2004, 09:09 PM
Building a house out at the Zoo and wifey wants a gas dryer. Well, that means propane. I say electric. What's the diff? What are your experiences?
Will you have any other appliances that are gas?
We are planning all electricity, fewer steps to leaving/returning to the house.
I'd like to hear other opinions on this also.

Outnumbered
11-28-2004, 09:11 PM
If its a second home its not worth it--about $200 more for the unit, not to mention the rough-in. I think a propane version would be even more spendy than a gas one. Go electric.
OL

RiverKitty
11-28-2004, 09:13 PM
Gas is the best way to go if you can work it out. It dries the clothes more evenly and quicker and is lower on the utility bill. The first time I had to use one I didn't think I would like it but it was awesome. Just my little ol' .02.

HPB
11-28-2004, 09:14 PM
My new Electric dryer (gibson) works great..... Go electric. my .02 worth

Havasu_Dreamin
We've had a house out in LHC for 3 years now and have a electric dryer and it works just fine.

Dawn Patrol
You can't get natural gas in Havasu? :confused:
Go with gas if possible.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-28-2004, 09:19 PM
You can't get natural gas in Havasu? :confused:
Go with gas if possible.
Only certain areas of town have natural gass available. It is mostly down by downtown and along the 95. I do believe that The Refuge, Canterbury Estates and Lake Ridge have gas.

quepas00
11-28-2004, 09:23 PM
Get a set like the Maytag neptune or top of the line Kenmore with the electric dryer and you will be ok. The washers spin dry at such a high rpm that your clothes are nearly dry when you take them out. Does'nt take long in the dryer to complete the job so its not to much of a hit on the electric bill. Probably cheaper than propane to operate. We like ours.
BTW.. you can get the kenmore stuff at the Sears outlet in Corona at a pretty good discount.

BajaMike
11-28-2004, 09:30 PM
I think electric is way better....I've had both. Electric is less expensive, most gas dryers get too hot and shrink up your cloths (or maybe it's just my waistline getting bigger?).
:D :D :D

phebus
11-28-2004, 09:33 PM
Never had an electric dryer till we bought our house in Havasu. Works great no problem. The cost of going with a propane system would never be recovered, stay with the electric.

Kachina26
11-28-2004, 09:36 PM
I guess I should elaborate, this will be my main home :D I'm getting the F out of Ca (that's another thread). I don't have natural gas in that portion of town. The wife and I are comfortable with electric cook top and oven, she just isn't sure about electric dryer. We had a real piece of junk electric dryer many years ago that ate electricity like nobody's business. I am leaning toward all electric, but she remembers the $200 + electric bills in our 1200 sq ft apartment back in 1992. The apartment itself and the appliances were probably circa 1970.

Just Tool'n
11-28-2004, 09:37 PM
Go Gas, you wont be sorry. We moved into our current house 11 years ago.
The laundry room did not have a gas line running into it, but the water heater was just a 2x4 thickness away, had a utilty guy come out tee into the gas main going into water heater, drill a whole tru the wall & run it into the spot for the dryer. Dries the clothes, espesially the blue jeans a heck of alot quicker.
My brother delivers & installs whirlpool applances into new homes, insurance replacements & delivers to lowe's. He said most new construction is plumbed for gas, it cheaper in the long run.

Kachina26
11-28-2004, 09:37 PM
I think electric is way better....I've had both. Electric is less expensive, most gas dryers get too hot and shrink up your cloths (or maybe it's just my waistline getting bigger?).
:D :D :D
Ya know, the gas dryer is doing the same thing to my clothes ;)

phebus
11-28-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm pretty sure all appliances are rated for their annual cost of running them. Go compare the newer energy efficient models and do a comparison.

Kachina26
11-28-2004, 09:41 PM
I'm pretty sure all appliances are rated for their annual cost of running them. Go compare the newer energy efficient models and do a comparison.
Now that's a good answer! I owe you a beer or 2. I wish I were a fart smeller like yourself. er I mean smart feller................

Sleek-Jet
11-28-2004, 09:44 PM
Propane prices fluctuate like gas prices at the pump. I believe that the Electric utility that serves LHC is in a rate freeze until 2006 or 2008 because of a merger.

SHAKE-YO-AZZ
11-28-2004, 10:05 PM
I went with propane for the hole house you will like it, but if you are looking for an electric dryer let me know I have one I only used for a couple on months

NorCal Gameshow
11-28-2004, 10:07 PM
normally it's much cheaper to go gas.
but the cost of propane can eat up the savings. so when you compare find out what they're getting per gallon for propane.
like quepas00 said go with the high speed spin washer
keep the exhaust vent as short as possible . the less back pressure the quicker the dry

BigDogIvan
11-28-2004, 10:41 PM
Gas is the only way to go. but if you don't have gas or propain now in the home then go electric but check your electric provider for programs that may make your bill a little easier. For example we have a plan that we can do all our heavy needs after 9pm and before 9am weekdays and weekends from friday night @ 9pm to Monday 9am and they cut the rate for these times.
BD

BajaMike
11-29-2004, 12:01 AM
I think electric is way cheaper.....my electric bill has never been more then $50 a month.....of course in live in Dana Point near the beach and don't have or need air conditioning and rarely use my heater. My electric dryer is the main thing that burns electricity, besides the lights and washer.
The thing about gas, the flame is either on or off, there is no "mild" setting. Seems like I know way too much about doing laundry.....been divorced to long I guess!!! :D :D :D

ROZ
11-29-2004, 12:01 AM
My boss just went from electric to propane.. his wife says it's a world of difference.
electric range? How the heck are ya suppose to heat up tortillas on one of them at 1 a.m. ? ;) :D Damn, I just made myself hungry... tortilla and butter ..yum yum.. :D
We're getting an HE4t combo .....

Cas
11-29-2004, 12:26 AM
are you going to have anything else on propane? If not, I'd go electric so you don't have the expense of putting in the tank and lines. If you have propane for other things, I'd go with it for the dryer too.
interesting split on who likes what

Bad2DBone
11-29-2004, 12:41 AM
We have the Neptune set in natural gas. Works great and dries very fast. If you start a load in the wash and in the dryer at the same time they finish at just about the same time instead of having to wait for the dryer to finish after the washer is done.
I have no idea about propane though. but from what I have heard gas is better and cheaper. It's like heat.... electric baseboard heat is way more expensive then forced air gas.

Sleek-Jet
11-29-2004, 12:52 AM
I have no idea about propane though. but from what I have heard gas is better and cheaper. It's like heat.... electric baseboard heat is way more expensive then forced air gas.
Electric Baseboard is sooooo 1970's. :D
Electric Thermal Storage (ETS)... with a time of use rate I can heat a house, cook, run the hot water heater and lights all for about the same price as natural gas heating bill. And with gas, you would still have the light bill to pay. ETS is also radiant heat, so the rooms stay at a more even temp, not hot and cold like forced air.

ROZ
11-29-2004, 02:22 AM
My sister and her husband had a big Noritz tankless water heater installed. The gas part of their bill was only 12.00 last month(heat, dryer, and waterheater)... :jawdrop: They eat out a lot though... :D Kitchen is being remodeled :hammer2:

NorCal Gameshow
11-29-2004, 04:17 AM
My boss just went from electric to propane.. his wife says it's a world of difference.
electric range? How the heck are ya suppose to heat up tortillas on one of them at 1 a.m. ? ;) :D Damn, I just made myself hungry... tortilla and butter ..yum yum
i hate when the tortilla sticks to the glasstop :redface: :D

H20skier
11-29-2004, 04:33 AM
We much prefer gas for speed of drying, but that sounds prohibitive if you are on propane. If you go electric, try to get a 220 dryer. Much more efficient.

Sleek-Jet
11-29-2004, 04:36 AM
i hate when the tortilla sticks to the glasstop :redface: :D
That's what they make butane torches for... :D

Seadog
11-29-2004, 06:47 AM
I use propane for cooking and heating. It is more efficient and does a better job. I also built my house with electric hot water and dryer, even though the furnace is right next to the hot water tank. On the hot water, I did not like the idea of the pilot being on constantly from safety issues, but that is no longer valid with the electronic ignitions. However, we have a big problem with our water supplier causing depositing in the bottom of the tank, creating an insulating effect. On the dryer front, we have a very efficient Maytag that does not give us any problem and it is almost 25 years old. We are also very religeous about cleaning the filter every run and making sure it is in good shape.
Around here, gas is the best way to go. The big load is heating, yet we only fill our 250 gallon tank 2-3 times a year, 100-150 gallons at a time. If you are building a house and want to be more efficient, you should make your cooking, heating, hot water gas operated and get an efficient electric or gas dryer. If you are going electric with the first three items, then there is no use going gas with the dryer.

RiverOtter
11-29-2004, 07:01 AM
Gas! Love it. Drys very fast.

SCUBA STEVE
11-29-2004, 07:01 AM
electric range? How the heck are ya suppose to heat up tortillas on one of them at 1 a.m. ? ;) :D Damn, I just made myself hungry... tortilla and butter ..yum yum.. :D
That is the only focked up thing about electric ranges. :sqeyes: We had gas all our lives in CA, but now living in AZ, our electric dyrer dry's clothes in less time now then it did in CA, and our dyrer is at least 6-10 years old. (came with the house) I would still prefer gas, but I am not disappointed (besides the torilla's) with electric. :D

ahhell
11-29-2004, 07:24 AM
HAVASU....get a clothes line... :idea:

Essex502
11-29-2004, 07:27 AM
We definitely would have preferred gas appliances in the vacation house in Havasu but the electric water heater and dryer work just fine. Can't say the electric dryer in Havasu is faster or slower than the gas dryer we have in Valencia. Just different. The electric range, though, I have issues with. Doesn't seem to be as easy to cook on but it may only be my unfamiliarity with using it these last two years. Electric ranges are pretty standard in Europe so it must be just our needing to get used to it.
If you had a real choice...i.e. natural gas was readily available then the choice would be simple. Propane...I'd avoid the hassle. Personal opinion only.

phebus
11-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Just put your clothes in the microwave :D