PDA

View Full Version : Floor delam repair??

Jim W
04-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Hello,
I have a 1971 Hallett that has a delam at the rear of the boat outside of the stringer. About 1 1/2' X2 1/2'
The wood underneath looks good. No discoloring.
I am thinking of drilling small holes and injecting resin into the voids.
I also had the idea to drill 1 hole at one end of the delam to inject resin----and another hole at the far end with a vacum pump to suck the resin into the area.
Or, do I need to cut out the delam and re-do???
Your thought's???
Be good, Jim

Rode's Way Boats Inc
04-26-2006, 08:46 PM
I don't know about New York but there is a guy in Calif. you can call his # is 909-946-3089 and his shop is Pat's Fiberglass

ThongMagnet
06-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Cut it out and redo the whole floor. Floor is a part of the structure. Mine delamed between the two front seats (20 years). Once the carpet was removed, we saw a lot more cracks in the glass, and future delam trouble. Wood floors don't last for ever, but it is fairly easy to replace if your good with fiberglass, and cutting and fitting wood.
Recover with fresh carpet.
Caution!!!!! Be sure your not cutting through the hull. During my investigating, I was warned many that first timers will cut through the hull... (thinking it was the floor). Go very slow during the floor removal. Get it all cleaned up, vacuumed, and ready to go. Shape the floor if possible so water runs off (no puddle)

dmontzsta
06-11-2006, 03:11 PM
yup, I had the same problem. You are going to have to cut it all out and let it dry in the heat/sun for about a week, make sure it is COMPLETELY dry, cause the fiberglass will suck the water back up out of the wood once it is laid on again.
Once it is dry, you need to relay the glass completely. Dont try to shortcut it, you can have a bad accident if it is not addressed.

BIGCHRIS
06-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Hey guys i am going to do my whole floor in my boat,any help would be great.i have some delam on the stringers and a cople of spots on the floor.What is the proper way to get all the bad glass and the good glass up and then the wood .Pics and advice would be great thanks

BIGCHRIS
06-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Ca"mon

DelawareDave
06-13-2006, 08:12 AM
Make sketches of how it is built. Measure everything before you cut anything apart. I made a plan of everything in my boat before I did anything. Use duplicate materials to what you remove. Make sure the boat is well supported so it doesn't lose it's shape. Use 36 grit disks when sanding/grinding where you want to bond new glass/resin.

BIGCHRIS
06-13-2006, 09:28 AM
Make sketches of how it is built. Measure everything before you cut anything apart. I made a plan of everything in my boat before I did anything. Use duplicate materials to what you remove. Make sure the boat is well supported so it doesn't lose it's shape. Use 36 grit disks when sanding/grinding where you want to bond new glass/resin.
My stringers look to be in good shape,the floor has some spots that need attention.If u are doing the whole floor, when u say cut u mean cut the floor and pull the glass and wood up together.The bottom of the boat is seperate from the wood and glass right,i would think that a end grinder is the tool to use.When the boat comes out of the mold do they lay glass wood and then glass to finish the inside along with the stringers .I am just trying to get the idea of how this is supposed to be done thanks

DelawareDave
06-13-2006, 02:04 PM
I had a reply all typed out, and when I hit the button, I got a message about ***boat Database Maintenance. I lost everything I wrote. :(
I don't know how your boat was built originally, but you want to repair it as close to the way it was built that you can. Post some good clear pics and maybe I, or someone could come up with some ideas to help you out.
Follow my thread, and look in my gallery for more pics. The pics in the thread are in order of the work done.

ThongMagnet
06-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Step one, Cover the boat to protect the gel coat. Step two, remove interior.
Step 3 Talk to the guy your buying the resin from. I used a place in phoenix called "Sticky stuff". He will tell you how much hardner to used based on the product he is selling and the temperture your working in.
Basically the floor is layed over the stringer structure. Take your time removing the old floor, and notice where the seems are located in the wood. Be sure not to cut into the actually hull. newbees do that all the time. Once the floor is removed, inspect for stringer damage/rot.
Clean up all the mess, sanding off all loose fiberglass. Repair the stringers, so that they are water tight.
Fit the new plywood floor to the hull. Be sure you get a really tight fit, since the floor is actually part of the stringer structure. Once your happy with the fit, cover all wood with resin top and bottom. do this 3 times and your ready to screw it in. cover all screw holes and bond the floor edges to the hull.
Replace the carpet with a good marine grade carpet. reinstall your interior.
If it is a race boat, weight of materials being used should be considered.
Its only fiberglass and wood. If you have a place to do the work without getting leaves, and pine needles mixed into the resin, its not that bad.
I left mine on the trailer while it was done. The stringers helped it maintain the correct shape. Hope this helps. Should take about 40 hours

BIGCHRIS
06-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Thanks guys, i will get some pics this weekend after i finish taking it apart

EXTREMEBOATS
06-25-2006, 05:50 PM
Big, give me a call... I have a few questions for ya...
Mike