PDA

View Full Version : So I backed into the wifes car

moneypit
04-17-2006, 03:25 PM
So I back the boat into my wifes brand new Audi. I knew it was there. I was more worried about the boat then her car.... The bottom of the drive slit the bumper and the prop dented the back of the car near the license plate.
I looked at the prop and the drive and there wasn't a scratch... Do you think I should still pull the prop and have it checked??? It looks fine to me.

termiteguy
04-17-2006, 03:29 PM
yes the smallest of bend can cause bad viberations!

dicudmore
04-17-2006, 03:35 PM
So I back the boat into my wifes brand new Audi. I knew it was there. I was more worried about the boat then her car.... The bottom of the drive slit the bumper and the prop dented the back of the car near the license plate.
I looked at the prop and the drive and there wasn't a scratch... Do you think I should still pull the prop and have it checked??? It looks fine to me.
:cool: :cool: :cool:

voodoomedman
04-17-2006, 03:35 PM
you might want to have your drive alignment checked as well.

Jrocket
04-17-2006, 03:36 PM
LMAO...classic.

Ziggy
04-17-2006, 03:39 PM
LMAO...classic.
What? You back into your wifes Ow-dy too? :D

Jrocket
04-17-2006, 03:44 PM
What? You back into your wifes Ow-dy too? :D
No...but I am sooooo ready to either trade this thing in or sell it and get a new BMW.
PM me a number where I can call you.

Tom Brown
04-17-2006, 04:00 PM
Do you think I should still pull the prop and have it checked??? It looks fine to me.
It's extremely unlikely the prop is bent. If it's a B-1, it's made out of some pretty tough material... much more so than Audi uses in body panels.
If it were me, I would build my own pitch gauge. Use 1/4" plywood, an old piece of panelling, or even just heavy cardboard. Make a triangle that fits perfectly under the blade at the tip when the prop is sitting on a flat surface. Make sure it fits all blades the same. That's basically all a prop shop will do, anyway. Their pitch gauges will follow the blade contour a little better but you should still be able to see how close the blades are to each other to tolerances that are better than a new prop is likely to be made. IOW, if it's out a tiny bit... it's not necessarily from the incident.

moneypit
04-17-2006, 04:03 PM
The funny thing is, she asked me if I needed her to move the car. I said naaaah' So I get into my rig and put the mutha' f'er in "R" and backed right into the car. It was like my brain just shut off.

moneypit
04-17-2006, 04:06 PM
It's extremely unlikely the prop is bent. If it's a B-1, it's made out of some pretty tough material... much more so than Audi uses in body panels.
If it were me, I would build my own pitch gauge. Use 1/4" plywood, an old piece of panelling, or even just heavy cardboard. Make a triangle that fits perfectly under the blade at the tip when the prop is sitting on a flat surface. Make sure it fits all blades the same. That's basically all a prop shop will do, anyway. Their pitch gauges will follow the blade contour a little better but you should still be able to see how close the blades are to each other to tolerances that are better than a new prop is likely to be made. IOW, if it's out a tiny bit... it's not necessarily from the incident.
I will give that a look see. I havent had the prop off the boat since I've had it.
Hey Dan- you have a prop puller??

paradigm shift
04-17-2006, 04:09 PM
I hate it when that happens. :mad: If it was mine I would spin or turn the prop looking for runout or possibly bent shaft and any changes in the contour of the blades. If you decide to pull the prop to have it checked you might as well put a dial indicator on the shaft or have someone do it and make sure the shaft is not bent also. Cheap easy check if you are worried about any damage.
Just my .02

ThongMagnet
04-17-2006, 04:20 PM
if the drive was up and hit the car, I would not sweat it. But call your insurance agent and see if your covered.
Next time listen to the wife....She's always right

MagicMtnDan
04-17-2006, 04:30 PM
Put the prop on the back of your wife's Audi-doody and get your boat a new one :D

moneypit
04-17-2006, 04:38 PM
Put the prop on the back of your wife's Audi-doody and get your boat a new one :D
This is a labbed 24'. I hope to God its not sick :220v: :220v:

a catered life
04-17-2006, 04:52 PM
duck tape it and call it a day :p