PDA

View Full Version : Freezing in Havasu!

Backfire
12-01-2004, 06:59 AM
I just got finished scraping ice off my son's windshield and now I'm wondering if I shoulda taken special precautions with my boat engine (?) My boat is outside, but covered. Should I suck antifreeze thru the system?

oldbuck40
12-01-2004, 07:04 AM
I just got finished scraping ice off my son's windshield and now I'm wondering if I shoulda taken special precautions with my boat engine (?) My boat is outside, but covered. Should I suck antifreeze thru the system?i see ya'll are getting some of that texas weather out there!!! dont chance it,,get out there and get er done!!!! to much money to let a freeze ruin it.

RiverRatMike
12-01-2004, 11:05 AM
got down to 31.6 here at my place in LHC last night. Brrrrrrr

Eliminator 4 Life
12-01-2004, 11:07 AM
:coffeycup About time it got cold out there :D

mbrown2
12-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Dam....I might be watching the Parade from shore...just getting over a cold, don't need another hanging out on the water and retrieving the boat at night...hopefully, it will heat up a little...it was cold last week.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-01-2004, 11:09 AM
When is the parade I forgot??

RiverRatMike
12-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Dam....I might be watching the Parade from shore...just getting over a cold, don't need another hanging out on the water and retrieving the boat at night...hopefully, it will heat up a little...it was cold last week.
this weekend will be in the upper 30's to lower 40's for Sat night. I'll be out there too watching the parade.

Boozer
12-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Don't worry about antifreeze. Just pull the drain plugs on the engine and leave them out until you go boating again. This will allow any water thats in the engine to drain out.

Squirtin Thunder
12-01-2004, 11:19 AM
I just got finished scraping ice off my son's windshield and now I'm wondering if I shoulda taken special precautions with my boat engine (?) My boat is outside, but covered. Should I suck antifreeze thru the system?
One of the easiest ways to winterize is to remove all the water from the system. So use some compressed air and blow out the water. This what I did in NC because I used the boat whenever is was nice out. In the 8 years I was out there I only witerized with Anti frezze once. It got as low as 16*.
I hope this cold weather goes away quick.
Jim

wildbillg
12-01-2004, 11:21 AM
right now it is only 54 but there is a north wind and it feels colder then that.....

Jordy
12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Just get all the water out and you should be fine Don. ;)

jbtrailerjim
12-01-2004, 11:48 AM
I was thinking the same thing. I might just be watching from the shore also. I'm not sure if I feel like having to mess with the boat when it's butt ass cold out. :2purples:

rrrr
12-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Heheh, that'll teach you guys to make fun of those that hafta winterize their boats. :hammerhea :D :D

1978 Rogers
12-01-2004, 11:52 AM
:coffeycup About time it got cold out there :D
No kidding. I'm damn tired of hearing about people using boats down there in the winter. It's not fare. :cry:

1978 Rogers
12-01-2004, 12:01 PM
If it only gets that cold for a night or two I wouldn't worry about it. Up North when it't that cold all year we have to drain the water out of the block, etc. Put in de-humidifiers in the boat and around the engine, cover them up real good if outside. All that good stuff. Just stick a trebble light in the engine compartment or under the block with a small watt bulb. That will make enough heat to keep and problems from happening to the block. I have a 60 watt bulb on all winter placed under the oil pan.
You also have to worry about differences in temp changes, condesation. Cold motor with warm air will cause condesation to form. Just my two cents. My folks live in Gilbert, AZ. I get a kick when they talk about the furnace coming on when the temps drop below 60. :smile:

switchin'addiction
12-01-2004, 01:31 PM
Cold weather sucks!! :mad: :mad:

Wild Horses
12-01-2004, 02:56 PM
For a engine block to freeze and crack it has to get colder than 30 degrees for 1 night, it has to stay below freezing for a few days (note I said Days) :p and nights it takes awhile for the ice to expand to the point of breaking metal.
Clint

SoCalHD
12-01-2004, 03:06 PM
Where is the drain plug on a 496HO?
Tom-for our engines(those w/closed cooling) you take that pump off the front of the engine, take off the blue plasic cover on the single point drain system, attach pump and pump air into the system until the two green indicators pop out. I just did this over lunch at my house after taking the boat to the gas station to top off the tanks to prevent condensation. You will hear water draining out. The Merc book says to then crank the engine over 1-2 times (without letting it start) to clear any other water.
BTW-sucked filling up the boat w/gas and not being in the process of leaving for the river!! :hammer2: :hammer2: :cry: :cry:

SoCalHD
12-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Filling up the gas tanks and letting it sit all winter :confused: Never heard that one before. Do you drain the gas and refill prior to using it come the spring time? Doesn't the gas go bad on you sitting that long?
I use Chevron gas-it already has additives in it to keep it stabil during storage. Don't quote me on it, but I was told that it will stay stabil for up to a year!

rrrr
12-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Filling up the gas tanks and letting it sit all winter :confused: Never heard that one before. Do you drain the gas and refill prior to using it come the spring time? Doesn't the gas go bad on you sitting that long?
If the tank isn't full temperature changes can cause condensation in the area of the tank not wetted by gas. Because the tank is vented, moisture can continually enter the tank and it will repeat the process as conditions allow.
Not only will you get water in your gas, if you have an aluminum tank it can cause corrosion depending on certain circumstances.
It's better to fill it and add some stabilizer. I also tape up the tank vent to exclude moisture and keep volatile aromatics in the gas from evaporating. I think that's why gas goes bad.
Jeez, it gets below 40 and you guys go nuts......
J/K :D :D :D

spectras only
12-01-2004, 03:31 PM
Dilligaf , best thing to keep condensation in check is filling the tank up. You can add stabilizer if you want ,but not necessary for short layups like you guys have in cali ;).I always fill the tanks right up to the rim in my vintage bikes ,cause replacement for those hard to find .

hoolign
12-01-2004, 04:29 PM
ya should try some good ol Alberta - 45 celsius....then ya'd have something to cry about :frown: it's still warm her at -3 C... :yuk: :yuk:

a catered life
12-01-2004, 07:13 PM
everybody chill me and rich up here where its averaged 20 degrees for he last two week screw the boat :eek: my privates are cold :hammerhea