PDA

View Full Version : S.i.d.s.??? Mothers I Need Help On This

oldbuck40
12-01-2004, 11:30 AM
Do Any Of You Know Why This Happens To Infants? My Ex Son Inlaw Just Lost His 4 Mo.old Daughter Last Night.

dicudmore
12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
sorry....
I've heard of SIDS but not in a long time....
Truly sorry :frown:

THOR
12-01-2004, 11:34 AM
I am sorry to hear that.
I am with Forensic, there isnt really an explanation for this.

HCS
12-01-2004, 11:39 AM
:confused: My wife was very paraniod about sids when my boy was little.
I thought she was over reacting. It's more common than I thought.
Sorry to here. :(

oldbuck40
12-01-2004, 11:39 AM
you would think that all the things that have been done here in the usa that they could find a reason or a cure,, i just hope it doesnt mess up my grandsons head ,he just turned 3 in august and really loved his baby sister.

topless
12-01-2004, 11:40 AM
I am so sorry to hear this news. I constantly worried about that when my kids were babies. I don't think they know the cause of it. Again, I'm sorry for you and yours. I'll keep you in my prayers.

rrrr
12-01-2004, 11:42 AM
That's really a shame, oldbuck. Please accept our condolences to your family.

ROZ
12-01-2004, 11:47 AM
Sorry to hear the terrible news about the baby. It's horrible. My daughter slept with us for quite a while because my wife and I were totally paranoid of sids...
Hopefully you can find the infor you seek at www.sids.org

Tahiti350
12-01-2004, 11:47 AM
My condolences also, I lived with this fear, as both of my girls (now 15 and 3) had breathing problems early on, and we were told they were high risk for SIDS. I used to wake up at night and go check on them, until I was flat exhausted. Some think they just go to sleep so deep that they forget to breathe.....
GaryB. Tahiti350

Windy
12-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Im so sorry for your family..they are in my prayers.

oldbuck40
12-01-2004, 11:52 AM
thanks guys,,

Bre
12-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Same thing happened to my cousins baby a few months ago :frown:

MissSSTahoe
12-01-2004, 12:55 PM
SIDS happens in infant under one year of age and they don't know what causes it. Since they haven't found a cause for it yet, parents are blaming themselves for something they didn't do. I have a 2 1/2 year old and i was concerned about that when he was just born. Personally, I think it is a form of sleep apnia (beathing problems while sleeping) and since their lungs have not developed, they quit breathing and the parents find them there. That is just my personal opionion though

redi4fun
12-01-2004, 12:57 PM
I hate to hear news like this, I have a 4 month old son at home. I was worried about SIDS before but now I am really freaked out :220v:. No sleep for me tonight.

Boozer
12-01-2004, 01:01 PM
Oldbuck sorry to hear about the loss.
In September of 2000 we lost a family member to SID's. My cousin Katey was 4 months old and I had growm very close to her because I along with my brother babysat her quite a bit. Up until Katey I wasn't a fan of babies but there was something about her that set her apart from any other baby I had ever encountered. During her first day at day care she passed away. Th autopsy revealed the cause of death to be SID's.
SID's is very difficult for any family to deal with because it leaves so many unaswered questions. The biggest question families who lose someone to SID's tend to ask is "Was there anyhting we could have done differently to have prevented this from happening?" Unfortunately no. After Kateys death my mother and I organized a SID's awareness class at work so that not only ourselves but the people we worked with (wh also worked with my aunt as well) were aware of what happened, what to do, and what to do to help console my aunt. It also answered a lot of questions that I had. I can locate the info on who to contact to set up a similar class for your family and friends if you'd like.
It is still unknown exactly what causes SID's and because of that at this point there is no way for a family to prevent it form happening to them. Many studies have been done and there are many statistics available that show certain risk factors like age, health and other things but there is no known cause at this time.
My condolences to you and your family. I know that you're going through because I've gone through it personally and it's a hard thing to deal with. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

bunny 166
12-01-2004, 01:04 PM
I am so sorry for you and your family...I cannot imagine their pain. Some experts have said its from babies sleeping on their tummies instead of their backs or sides, and they don't get enough oxygen that way--re-breathing their corbon dioxide (sorry, is that what you exhale?). I think it is all still a mystery...I am so sorry-God Bless

HOSS
12-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Sorry to hear the terrible news. My son is 2.5 months old and it scares the hell outa me. I believe its caused from food(formula) or fluid going in their lungs. I sit up at night with my boy. Scares me daily. If not mistaken after 4 mos they are supposedly out of the danger zone of sids.

oldbuck40
12-01-2004, 01:10 PM
boozer i have a 22 yr old and a 19 yr old so its been a while for me but i do remember those long nights with no sleep. i hav'nt even met their daudhter yet and now she is gone... i just wish their were some answers..by the way how is your bro doing? did you ever get moved back to colo.?

topless
12-01-2004, 01:17 PM
I knew a lady years ago who's daughter had sids. What happened is that when she stopped breathing the first time, the caught it so they had her hooked up to a monitor 24/7 until after her first birthday. She is one of the lucky ones for sure.

Music to my Ears
12-01-2004, 01:36 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my nephew to sids two and a half years ago. It was three months to the day from his birth. Boozer is right, there are no cures as of yet. We now go to many of the Sids walks to support others and generate funds for further research. It's one of the few ways in which we feel that we can help others. You and your family are in all of our prayers.

oldbuck40
12-01-2004, 02:10 PM
well guys a big thank you to every one,,when it counts im glad there are others out there that do care!!! i think i will go hug my kids now.....

topless
12-01-2004, 02:17 PM
well guys a big thank you to every one,,when it counts im glad there are others out there that do care!!! i think i will go hug my kids now.....
Hug them for me too. ;)

oldbuck40
12-01-2004, 02:25 PM
Hug them for me too. ;)thanks topless i will...those of us that have kids that are grown or almost grown i pat you on the back. for all the newbies that are planing on children and that have newborns we will pray for all of you.. you have a very tough row to hoe,,,but never give up! no matter how hard it seems do your very best at guideing them,,,it will pay off in the long run!

RiverKitty
12-01-2004, 02:32 PM
As a mother of 5 I was well aware of SIDS. I can't tell you how many times I panicked because it appeared that they quit breathing. I would wake them up on purpose just to make sure. Your story brought tears to my eyes....putting myself in her shoes, I can only imagine how the mom must feel. It breaks my heart. I pray that God will give her peace that passes all understanding. There is a poem somewhere that talks about the time we got to have with our kids...even if it's for a few days/months/years. The love and joy they bring to our lives as they were passing thru. I wish I could find it. Please know you/the family/friends are in my heart and my prayers.
My Sincerest Condolences ~RiverKitty

oldbuck40
12-01-2004, 02:46 PM
As a mother of 5 I was well aware of SIDS. I can't tell you how many times I panicked because it appeared that they quit breathing. I would wake them up on purpose just to make sure. Your story brought tears to my eyes....putting myself in her shoes, I can only imagine how the mom must feel. It breaks my heart. I pray that God will give her peace that passes all understanding. There is a poem somewhere that talks about the time we got to have with our kids...even if it's for a few days/months/years. The love and joy they bring to our lives as they were passing thru. I wish I could find it. Please know you/the family/friends are in my heart and my prayers.
My Sincerest Condolences ~RiverKittythanks RK if you find that poem would you please pm it to me or hell just put up here for all of us..thanks 5 kids damn that deserves a double adda girl :D

Daughter
12-01-2004, 03:21 PM
First of all, I am very sorry for your & your family's loss.
I just graduated from college with a degree in Child & Adolescent Development. Much of my education was in early child development. I had many courses that touched on this subject and I hope that what I learned will shed some light on the subject as well as help those of you with little ones.
As many of you have said, there is no concrete reason. However, there is a long-standing belief that many of cases are due to basically choking on vomit. This is usually due to how the baby is sleeping i.e. on their back or stomach. They recommend having babies sleep on their sides but we all know how hard that is. There is a thing you can buy which has two triangle-like pads, which are just large enough to be the length of the baby's torso- this allows for leg movement & a clear area around the head. What it does is props the baby up & keeps the baby sleeping on his/her side; my best friend has it for her 3-month-old daughter and it works great.
Some of the s.i.d.s. cases were due to second-hand smoke. When I was doing research, I came across some cases in an empirical scientific journal (which is basically documented scientific studies based on cases not theories) that some of the s.i.d.s. cases were due to suffocation. Most often the suffocation was by pillows, toys & blankets and in some unfortunate cases, by the mothers (whom were usually suffering from post-mortem depression). It is recommended to remove all pillows & toys from the crib/bassinet. When cold, dress the baby warmly (multiple layers) and when you put the blanket on them (preferably one without ruffles/fringe) wrap under the arms.
Unfortunately, the rest of the cases have no explanation. It's a horrible thing & there is still heavy research being preformed. I hope that this information helps, and I wish you all the best.

prop check
12-01-2004, 03:57 PM
First and foremost I am very sorry to hear of this tragedy. S.I.D.S. is very scary for all parents and that is because no research into the cause can produce results... The American academy of Pediatrics is an excellent source of TRUE facts on this condition and they cannot give an exact cause many have speculated on this but no one can prove it's cause. Once again I am Sorry to hear of the loss. May God be With you and your loved ones during this time... P.C.

little rowe boat
12-01-2004, 04:16 PM
I am very sorry for your loss.Every night when I go to bed,I have (s i d s )on my mind,our son is 2 months old but was born 9 weeks premature,so he is considered a high risk for (s i d s) and RSV.The Doctors told us the main factors for preventing (s i d s) is not to allow him to be around second hand smoke,do not allow him to sleep on his stomach and do not over dress him so he overheats,the Doctor informed us that new parents tend to do this,thinking that their babies are always cold.
God bless you and your family.

MAINEVENT
12-01-2004, 04:31 PM
WOW Bro sorry to hear that i dont know much But you might want to PM my wife she know alot about that stuff.....
Oncve again sorry for the loss :frown:

Debbolas
12-01-2004, 08:55 PM
I am so sorry for you loss. I was so afraid of sids when my children were young, I would sneak into their rooms and put my face down close to theirs to be sure they were breathing.
I think the Medical Profession swings back and forth on sleeping prefences. When my kids (now 13,14 and 17) were young, we were told to have them sleep on their backs. My brother's wife just had twins and they have special pads so they can sleep on their side. (they were premy twins)
Again I am so sorry, you and your family are in our prayers