PDA

View Full Version : Trident Revolution

Havasu_Dreamin
12-02-2004, 02:02 PM
Not to steal Wes' thunder, but just got done watching the video that was included as part of the update, pretty cool stuff to see. Wes, thanks for letting all of us in on your little, yeah right, project. :cool:

redi4fun
12-02-2004, 02:17 PM
Great stuff!!! Cannot wait to see how the final product performs. Wonder if this type of process will catch the eye of the other boat builders. Hell, if we are all lucky maybe this will cause a price correction in the traditional boat building of today. :D I won't hold my breath but one can only hope. :rolleyes:

Steamin' Rice
12-02-2004, 02:25 PM
I got the update but was not able to view the video.. I downloaded the video and could open the file and hear the audio, but no video.. I'll try again later..

ROZ
12-02-2004, 02:35 PM
I got the update but was not able to view the video.. I downloaded the video and could open the file and hear the audio, but no video.. I'll try again later..
Always causing problem, eh Mr Rice? :D

Havasu_Dreamin
12-02-2004, 02:49 PM
You need to get the DIVX download that is available on the video download page.

Jordy
12-02-2004, 03:13 PM
That was very cool. Congrats on this step Wes. :D
The Dude abides. :cool:

RiverDave
12-02-2004, 03:33 PM
Very cool update Wes..
While we may not agree on all things, and while I'm sure we'll continue to disagree on somethings in the future, It's still a cool boat and I'm still a big fan. ;) :)
RD

HCS
12-02-2004, 03:35 PM
When is the prop version going to be developed? :p

RiverOtter
12-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Ok.... Where is the above mentioned video??? :notam:

XtrmWakeborder
12-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Great update as usual Wes!

RiverOtter
12-02-2004, 04:41 PM
What am I missing? Where are these great updates??

HCS
12-02-2004, 04:52 PM
Register. www.tridentboats.com

RiverOtter
12-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Register. www.tridentboats.com
Oooooohhhhhh.... :o I thought it was let's screw with Otter Day... :)

Steamin' Rice
12-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Always causing problem, eh Mr Rice? :D
Who asked you Mr ROZ??
:argue: :boxingguy :D

HCS
12-02-2004, 05:16 PM
Oooooohhhhhh.... :o I thought it was let's screw with Otter Day... :)
The web site is really comming around. :cool:

BADBLOWN572
12-02-2004, 05:31 PM
Great stuff!!! Cannot wait to see how the final product performs. Wonder if this type of process will catch the eye of the other boat builders. Hell, if we are all lucky maybe this will cause a price correction in the traditional boat building of today. :D I won't hold my breath but one can only hope. :rolleyes:
I don't know how it would cause a price correction. The infusion process has been around for a long time primarily in aerospace and in high performance sail boats (Americas Cup). One of the reasons why it has not been introducted into the performance boat market is because of cost restrictions and the technical aspects. I have researched the infusion process extensively and I to agree that 1) it is without a doubt the best lamination process, & 2) extremely expensive! Both the laminates and labor to properly perform the lamination is much more intensive and costly than a standard wet layup. It is also more intensive than an improved vaccuum bagging method. If all manufacturers adapted this type of technology, the costs of boats would increase dramatically.
I have talked to Wes and he definitely has done his homework and I applaud him for doing everything right from the beginning. He is not willing to sacrifice quality for a higher profit margin, which is rare in the boating industry. I am looking forward to seeing the completed product and hopefully one day watch the infusion process in person. CONGRATS WES!
Danny

little rowe boat
12-02-2004, 07:08 PM
I thought a Trident was a submarine. :D

Jordy
12-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Hell, if we are all lucky maybe this will cause a price correction in the traditional boat building of today. :D
Go back and re-read the newsletter. Wes cleary posts that the process and materials, while stronger and lighter, cost way more to do than a traditional wet layup. ;)

Froggystyle
12-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Good morning everyone!
Glad to see you all are as interested in this as I hoped you would be. I personally am flying off the walls.
I have said a hundred times recently that the enthusiasm level of people for this project is directly proportional to how close they have been to the actual boat. Anyone who has been in the room while we are building it, is fired up. Anyone who has sat in the plug is fired up.
Today, we are going to pop the top half, and bed the fuel tank in the boat. Monday we should be all bonded and ready to go. I need to find a trailer to get it back to the shop, as the bottom is so different from anything on the market that it won't fit anything but our custom trailer, which is due from Extreme in a couple of weeks. Which means I need to find a big flatbed to move the hull here on so I can build a boat!
As for cost, it is certainly more expensive to do it our way initially. That was only on boat number one though. We have paid to have all of the laminates patterned and the core CNC cut especially for this boat. By boat #4 we should have a whole foam kit to drop in. That will cut the labor by 3/4, maybe more.
Materials cost a lot more, but we use a lot less. As far as the laminates, it is basically a wash. We use 1/3 the laminates, but they cost 3x as much. The core is a different story. When the competition is using commodity grade cores like marine plywood, balsa or urethane foam for floors, bulkheads and seats we are certainly not going to be competing with that... nor would we want to try. The plywood/balsa core is about $1.30 per square foot. The A500 CoreCell we are using is north of $9 per foot, and we use a hell of a lot more of it to save the weight of the laminates.
Without delving too deeply into the science of it, and knowing there are some structural engineers on here that can back this claim up... the amount of rigidity and strength gained by using a 1.25" linear foam core vs. a 3/4" thick layer of mat, cloth, mat, cloth, coremat(resin sponge), balsa, mat... is something to the tune of 8 times the strength, one fourth of the weight. Ours comes to about 1.9# per square foot, while the tested sample of a competing builder using the normal balsa core and wet layup was over 8# per foot. And that is on the sides, not on the thicker keel.
Anyway... we are fired up! Glad you all liked the video. If I can figure out a way to get the boat to the shop next week, you can all come by and check it out all you want to.
If you are reading this and have no idea what we are talking about, you can check out the website at www.tridentboats.com and go to the registration page. We send out updates to our registered parties regularly and always keep them informed well ahead of the press releases and the part of the site available to the general public.
Thanks again for the support,
Wes

Froggystyle
12-03-2004, 10:23 AM
When is the prop version going to be developed? :p
The prop is simply a check box on an order form. I have been speaking with Pat Weissman about using his drive and we can bolt it right on with our Zero degree transom... something a Bravo won't do.
Not to mention, the last thing I would do is bolt some ill conceived piece of junk like a Bravo on this boat... ;)
In any case, of the 12 boats currently on the build list, zero are props. Available, but will pale in comparison to what you get out of the dual drives.

78Eliminator
12-03-2004, 10:25 AM
I want to be there when you take the prototype to Martinez. I want to see the look on peoples faces :D :D :D

Hallett19
12-03-2004, 10:30 AM
.......to Wes and he definitely has done his homework and I applaud him for doing everything right from the beginning. He is not willing to sacrifice quality for a higher profit margin......
I dont care what anyone says, he has never NOT done anything the right way. Is this process really going to cut into the Benjis that bad Wes ??

HCS
12-03-2004, 10:37 AM
The prop is simply a check box on an order form. I have been speaking with Pat Weissman about using his drive and we can bolt it right on with our Zero degree transom... something a Bravo won't do.
Not to mention, the last thing I would do is bolt some ill conceived piece of junk like a Bravo on this boat... ;)
In any case, of the 12 boats currently on the build list, zero are props. Available, but will pale in comparison to what you get out of the dual drives.
Interesting. I just like the feel of a prop. I've never experienced duel jet drives though. :boxed:

redi4fun
12-03-2004, 10:39 AM
Go back and re-read the newsletter. Wes cleary posts that the process and materials, while stronger and lighter, cost way more to do than a traditional wet layup. ;)
Just a thought, not to start WORLD WAR THREE ;)
If I remember correctly what Wes was targeting as far as price was not all that out of line with what current builders are charging for the current wet layup and basically cheaper materials. Taking into consideration what you receive as far as power potential, stereo, size of boat, billet, and the technology that goes into it. You basically get new and probably better technology and materials then what the current builders are using, yet the cost of the boat does not seem that different. :idea: Does the fact that one has an outdrive and one a dual jet make that big of a price difference? What would a similiar sized and equipted deck boat made by Lavey, Howard, Magic, or Howard to name a few go for?
If Wes can pull the Trident off (which time will tell) and it performs well and the price is within 5-10% of what traditional wet layup builders are charging, I would think that a price correction would take place in the traditional method of building deck boats. Maybe it is wishful thinking on my part, after all the price of the Trident or the traditional 27 or 28 ish size deckboat is WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY out of my league. :D At any rate, can't blame a guy for trying. ;)

Jordy
12-03-2004, 10:43 AM
I'd guess that over all there would be a savings based upon not having to find a drive that will hold up to the power put out by the quad-rotor. That is, I don't have any idea what a dual drive setup costs, but I would bet it pales in comparison to something along the lines of a Speedmaster 6 or the like, which would be the right way to do it, rather than hang an Bravo off the back and hope you make a couple trips on it before it lets go. :hammerhea
edit* How cool would a Revolution be with an Arneson hanging off the back??? :D :D :D

78Eliminator
12-03-2004, 10:50 AM
You guys are also forgetting something else. How many deck boats this size have you seen in the very shallow waters of the lower Colorado river?? I have not seen a whole lot of boats over 23' out at Martinez. That is the beauty of the jet drive: that it takes very little water and does not protrude very far beneath the boat.
Most guys with props turn pale when they see the brown shallow patches in the river. Jet boats go right over the stuff. Now you can really take the party to the more secluded waters of the lower Colorado River OR Havasu if you like. Either way, you have options that were not available before with this class boat.
J

Havasu_Dreamin
12-03-2004, 11:03 AM
I'm not even in the market for a new boat having just bought new last winter and expect to hold onto it for long time. However, what I am hoping to see is the new building techniques that Wes is using incorporated by other builders, other than propiretary stuff of course. This can only help the industry as a whole.

HCS
12-03-2004, 11:38 AM
I'm not even in the market for a new boat having just bought new last winter and expect to hold onto it for long time. However, what I am hoping to see is the new building techniques that Wes is using incorporated by other builders, other than propiretary stuff of course. This can only help the industry as a whole.
The next boat I buy has to be big enough to sleep and piss in. Maybe I'll have Wes make me a 50fter. :idea: :) :coffeycup

Froggystyle
12-03-2004, 11:54 AM
The next boat I buy has to be big enough to sleep and piss in. Maybe I'll have Wes make me a 50fter. :idea: :) :coffeycup
I've slept (and pissed ;) ) in a 14 foot Zodiac. You don't need 50 feet to do that...

Jordy
12-03-2004, 11:56 AM
I've slept (and pissed ;) ) in a 14 foot Zodiac. You don't need 50 feet to do that...
That extra 36' is just for show. :D

78Eliminator
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Wes: Next time just piss off the side, and avoid "pissing off" your friends.

Froggystyle
12-03-2004, 12:05 PM
If I remember correctly what Wes was targeting as far as price was not all that out of line with what current builders are charging for the current wet layup and basically cheaper materials. Taking into consideration what you receive as far as power potential, stereo, size of boat, billet, and the technology that goes into it. You basically get new and probably better technology and materials then what the current builders are using, yet the cost of the boat does not seem that different. :idea: Does the fact that one has an outdrive and one a dual jet make that big of a price difference? What would a similiar sized and equipted deck boat made by Lavey, Howard, Magic, or Howard to name a few go for?
The economies are not being made up in the hull... this I promise you.
Where I am saving the money is by having everything designed as an incorporated system. The engine doesn't have any options... it is just bad ass. The stereo isn't a profit center per se... it is just built to the gills. We aren't nickle and diming you on add on neccessities or even nice to haves... hell, this thing comes with custom life jackets and anchor lines. You are ready to hit the lake when you take delivery... just add ice. The difference is that we understand what you will need, we have included it and taken the design and engineering out of the equation for you... as well as the risk. The price is well within the ballpark of the competition with similar outfitting. In fact, it is 5% lower than most if comparably equipped. That doesn't include the options that you can't buy at any price like the side swimstep, the dual drive, the drop down front ramp, the Tri-Hydro hull etc...
The other thing is, we are selling only through dealers. That obviously affects the pricing comparison because everyone else is essential selling at wholesale out their back doors. I think that in the long run though, the clients will be best served by a local dealer who is committed to their success.
Let's not forget about the commission program. Imagine how many times you have sold your brand of boat to someone by taking them for a test drive. How would you like $1,000 for everyone that actually pulls the trigger? I know that I sold enough boats with my last one to have never made a payment myself. I probably would have made a lot of money actually. 1G, cash in hand for a converted sale.
Pretty strong word of mouth if you ask me...
BTW, with regard to the drives... the Weissman will cost as much as a Speedmaster, or thereabouts, and hold more power. I absolutely will not send a boat out the door with a drive that won't hold up. Period. If the drive isn't strong enough to do basic maneuvering at idle, it won't go in the boat. The dual drive should amount to the most maneuverable 1000 hp deck boat in the water. No gears to bang, able to idle up for control and just actuate the gates like you would a normal jet, just with a hand control not a foot pedal.

HCS
12-03-2004, 12:12 PM
Now where's the toilet? :D

redi4fun
12-03-2004, 12:16 PM
I was in no way implying that Wes is cutting corners, because it is evident he is not. My point is that if he can price his boat within 5% of the "competition" using way better material and technology then the wet layup why not buy a Trident. Hopefully wet layup manufactures will take note and have no choice but to adjust the price of their deck boats that use far inferior methods. None the less I'll take one TRIDENT please!!!!! :D

Froggystyle
12-03-2004, 12:17 PM
Now where's the toilet? :D
Two words... "Side Swimstep..." hehe.
We are going to have the porta-potti/sink/hotplate option for those who want to write the boat off as a second home. We are also going to build a berth area for the rear so you can sleep on it. No roof though..
Wes

HCS
12-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Seriously.
The jet is the smoothist and easiest to operate. Just hope the unexperianced driver keeps it under control. I hate to think of something like that out of control by some goof. If you know what I mean.

HCS
12-03-2004, 12:29 PM
We are going to have the porta-potti/sink/hotplate option for those who want to write the boat off as a second home. We are also going to build a berth area for the rear so you can sleep on it. No roof though..
Wes
What's the fuel capacity again? I was wandering what the cruising range is expected to be.

Froggystyle
12-03-2004, 12:40 PM
125 Gallons. Should be good for the whole weekend or more.
I hate paying lake prices for gas. This way, you can fill up on land, where it is safer and pay less for it.

HCS
12-03-2004, 01:00 PM
125 Gallons. Should be good for the whole weekend or more.
I hate paying lake prices for gas. This way, you can fill up on land, where it is safer and pay less for it.
That's great. That would be a perfect setup for the delta up this way. It stretches from Redding to San Fransico. All you need is a canopy to keep the mosquitos out at night. The front swim deck would be perfect for dropping people off at the docks. :coffeycup

Froggystyle
12-03-2004, 04:13 PM
Drum roll please....
We popped the boat just now!!!!
There was quite a crowd down there for the hull, but the deck was a pretty damn big deal. The gel came out better that I had hoped for, and really looks sinister. I love it.
No damage to the boat, no damage to the mold. Easy day.
#2 goes in early next week for gel. Just enough time to prep the mold and get after it.
Thanks for the support everyone.
Oh... fuel tank fits great!!!!

redi4fun
12-03-2004, 04:18 PM
PICS, PICS, PICS.
Lets see them. :eek:

NashvilleBound
12-03-2004, 04:20 PM
How can you even post that without pictures.... come on Wes.....

Sleek-Jet
12-03-2004, 04:23 PM
Wes
It's also nice to have since most lakes require you to have a porta-potti if you stay out for any amount of time...

HCS
12-03-2004, 04:30 PM
Drum roll please....
We popped the boat just now!!!!
There was quite a crowd down there for the hull, but the deck was a pretty damn big deal. The gel came out better that I had hoped for, and really looks sinister. I love it.
No damage to the boat, no damage to the mold. Easy day.
#2 goes in early next week for gel. Just enough time to prep the mold and get after it.
Thanks for the support everyone.
Oh... fuel tank fits great!!!!
Still have me wandering about that tank. What if there's a fuel line leak. Is there service port holes to get to all the important stuff? Not like it's something you didn't already cover. Just curious.

Froggystyle
12-03-2004, 04:36 PM
Here are some pics...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/hull_collage_1a.jpg
That is Martin and Jaime in the middle pic. Totally stoked with the result.
Regarding the tank, this is twice as burly as it needs to be, but yes, there will be access from underneath the back seat. There will be some kind of cover for the workings, but rest assured, this is a sick tank.
1/2 fuel line and return, 1 1/2" pipe going it at a 45 degree angle for the fill and a 1/2" vent tube running inside the tank all the way to the front so when you are on it it doesn't dump fuel out the vent. Plus, it will keep you from hydrolocking with a full tank.
Fun stuff!!!!

redi4fun
12-03-2004, 04:40 PM
DAMN, that thing looks good. Cannot wait to see the final product.

HCS
12-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Looks like tons of fun. Is the 1st boat yours? :D

Froggystyle
12-03-2004, 04:55 PM
Looks like tons of fun. Is the 1st boat yours? :D
Ummmm....... YES!!!!!!!
I figure at the very least... I have my dream boat.

78Eliminator
12-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Ummmm....... YES!!!!!!!
Jesus Wes, I need to windex my monitor now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aqua Boogie1
12-03-2004, 05:00 PM
Can't wait to see the finished product!!!!! :cool:

Phat Matt
12-03-2004, 05:08 PM
Ummmm....... YES!!!!!!!
OK Wes. Call it a day and pack your bags. Meet us in Havasu. :D

Froggystyle
12-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Here are some pics of the top. You can see "Screamin Pete" in the background of the top shot.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/hull_collage_2a.jpg
And the first shots...
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/hull_collage_1a.jpg

Havasu_Dreamin
12-03-2004, 05:19 PM
WOW! Wes, great job!

HCS
12-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Great!!!!

XtrmWakeborder
12-03-2004, 05:33 PM
All i can say is WOW! Great gel scheme, lines, everything is awsome! Keep up the good work buddy

UltraLucky
12-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Congradulations ! Quite a milestone - have enjoyed following the progress and am looking forword to the final results.

Sleek-Jet
12-03-2004, 06:41 PM
Impressive Wes. I think it's been an experience for all of us here on the boards to watch this boat and company take shape. Every milestone you have shared and we have cheered (and a few jeers). Quite a change from most manufacturers who keep most of this stuff in the back room until the boats are completed and ready for market. It speaks volumes as to your faith in your product and character to have all this out in the open.
Even though there is still a long way to go with this venture, you and everyone that has worked and contributed to this project should be justifiably proud of the work you've accomlished thus far.

twistedpair
12-03-2004, 07:29 PM
WOW don't do it justice! Dude, that is Fooking STUNNING!! Can't wait to see the finished product.

HCS
12-03-2004, 08:03 PM
Just got time to watch the infusion process video. For I do not have time at work. :rolleyes:
That's awesome. Kind of explains the imperfections in my Malibu boat. :rolleyes:
Enough rolley eyes. :D
That is just awesome to witness.

Outnumbered
12-03-2004, 09:40 PM
Nice. Can't wait to see the complete boat.

DAB
12-04-2004, 06:45 AM
It's early in the morning and I'll I see are red X's... :confused:

Infomaniac
12-04-2004, 06:59 AM
Did anyone save the pics? If so send them to me and I will get them back up.

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 09:24 AM
The pics are at work.
I am not sure what the deal is, but the whole site these are linked to is down, and the pics are at work.
I will get them back up on our server soon.

Infomaniac
12-04-2004, 09:36 AM
The pics are at work.
I am not sure what the deal is, but the whole site these are linked to is down, and the pics are at work.
I will get them back up on our server soon.
Hey what do you know: The Revolution's first kill :rollside:
Big number of hits killed that site. :smile:
Only speculation naturally, until the kill is verified.

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 09:39 AM
Actually, that is exactly what happenned.
I am going to post those pics on our site so this doesn't happen again.
Give me a couple of minutes...

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 11:58 AM
OK, they are back up...
We are going to put all of the pictures in our gallery page on the website to check out at your leisure and on our bandwidth...

NashvilleBound
12-04-2004, 01:05 PM
I only picture I see is the hull bottom in one picture..thats it. Where do I need to go?

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 01:09 PM
I only picture I see is the hull bottom in one picture..thats it. Where do I need to go?
Really? Each picture is a collage of three shots. Where are you only seeing the bottom?

NashvilleBound
12-04-2004, 01:13 PM
when I go to the gallery it only has one...I will check again....
Used your link...went to "Trident"...at the bottom it shows frist boat out of the mold...click...thats it..next image..refresh..nothing.

Jordy
12-04-2004, 01:17 PM
I'm seeing them all and must say, that it looks bad ass. Can't wait to see it put together. :D

NashvilleBound
12-04-2004, 01:18 PM
Its working now.... Looks killer!!!! Is mine ready?? :hammerhea
Every time I go back to the main page there are more pictures...you must be downloading them right now....

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Its working now.... Looks killer!!!! Is mine ready?? :hammerhea
Every time I go back to the main page there are more pictures...you must be downloading them right now....
We are...
#2 gets shot next week. #3 right afterwards.
The link for everyone is at
Trident Custom Boats Gallery (http://www.tridentboats.com/gal/index.php)

dicudmore
12-04-2004, 01:44 PM
lookin' good Wes and looking forward to seeing the real thing :D

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 02:15 PM
BTW... Interesting note about some of those pics. On the hull gallery, there is a pic of me called "Wes lifting the boat..." which is no BS. I grabbed the front of the boat and lifted and picked the front up off the dolly. You would not believe the looks on everyones faces. Martin, who builds boats for a living using the old method had his jaw on the floor. He got on there and lifted too and just couldn't believe it. The hull portion weighs around 700-800 pounds. We are talking about a 27 foot deckboat here! The complete structure with the helm, ramp and hatch should be a little under 1800#
Trident Custom Boats Gallery (http://www.tridentboats.com/gal/index.php)

Eliminator 4 Life
12-04-2004, 02:17 PM
Froggystyle I wanted to let you know ROZ misspelled a word :cool:

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 02:20 PM
Froggystyle I wanted to let you know ROZ misspelled a word :cool:
He meant to... ;)
Oh, and nobody likes a tattle tale.

BLOWN HOWARD
12-04-2004, 02:21 PM
Hey Wes is that thing gonna be ready to lake test when i come down i a couple of weeks. :D

Eliminator 4 Life
12-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Sorry ha ha I was reading some info on your web site I never say the model at the Sema show I wish I would have..

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 02:22 PM
Hey Wes is that thing gonna be ready to lake test when i come down i a couple of weeks. :D
Likely not, but who knows. I am not going to be sleeping much until this thing is on the water...

Eliminator 4 Life
12-04-2004, 02:32 PM
Hey froggy did you hear what I said..

rvrtoy
12-04-2004, 02:35 PM
Congratulations Wes, on the first boat out of the mold. Lookin good.

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 02:36 PM
Sorry ha ha I was reading some info on your web site I never say the model at the Sema show I wish I would have..
The old color scheme on the model (Interestingly enough, done all in white so nobody could copy me before I got the boat built...) was the one from last year's SEMA... and the model this year shows the graphics on boat #001.
http://www.highperformancecars.com/froggystyle/painted_model.jpg

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 02:38 PM
Congratulations Wes, on the first boat out of the mold. Lookin good.
Thanks Steve...

Eliminator 4 Life
12-04-2004, 02:38 PM
What size is that yellow boat it is neat looking. Do you have any boats done yet. Sorry for the questions I have just never heard of it tell today..

rvrtoy
12-04-2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks Steve...
Will you and Audry be at the party tonight?

Froggystyle
12-04-2004, 03:12 PM
Will you and Audry be at the party tonight?
Fo shizzle. I think I was the first one to roger up for it in fact...

rvrtoy
12-04-2004, 03:14 PM
Sorry i'm gonna miss it. The wife had made other plans for a holiday party for us. Maybe after that one is over we will shoot up the 15 and join everyone for a little while.

Froggystyle
12-05-2004, 12:42 AM
Great get together. Good meeting everyone tonight.

Banshee
12-05-2004, 07:34 AM
Very, Very Nice!
Good luck finishing the boat and your business venture :wink:

throwerb
12-05-2004, 07:59 AM
Wes, First let me say I think what you are doing is incredible. The design, graphics and dual jet design make your boat the first I would consider when I am ready to step up to a deckboat. The one feature that is among my favorite is also the one that I am most concerned about. The front step/ramp that folds down to allow easy beach and water access scares me a litte. I envision running full speed and having the door jar loose and come down. What kind of precautions are you taking so this doesn't happen. Good luck and keep up the hard work, I'm sure your boat will change the industry in a positive way.

Froggystyle
12-05-2004, 09:14 AM
Wes, First let me say I think what you are doing is incredible. The design, graphics and dual jet design make your boat the first I would consider when I am ready to step up to a deckboat. The one feature that is among my favorite is also the one that I am most concerned about. The front step/ramp that folds down to allow easy beach and water access scares me a litte. I envision running full speed and having the door jar loose and come down. What kind of precautions are you taking so this doesn't happen. Good luck and keep up the hard work, I'm sure your boat will change the industry in a positive way.
Great concern. For one, it is actuated, so you would have to have an actuator failure for it to move an inch. Second, physics dictate that it would want to stay in the up position, as it has to go "over center" to start on the downward progression. Third, once down, it has stops that prevent it from dropping any more than flat with the deck of the boat. These stops are what holds all of the weight with the help of the hinges in back. So, even in the event of accidental travel in the down position, the boat presents no more surface to the water than any deckboat currently running with an open front design. (Conquest, Eliminator, Advantage, etc...) Contrary to those designs though, you can actuate the ramp up and have total protection from both cabin flow and the spray associated with tunnel hulls.
Thanks for the good words, and I am honored to be on your list!
Wes

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 09:19 AM
Great concern. For one, it is actuated, so you would have to have an actuator failure for it to move an inch. Second, physics dictate that it would want to stay in the up position, as it has to go "over center" to start on the downward progression. Third, once down, it has stops that prevent it from dropping any more than flat with the deck of the boat. These stops are what holds all of the weight with the help of the hinges in back. So, even in the event of accidental travel in the down position, the boat presents no more surface to the water than any deckboat currently running with an open front design. (Conquest, Eliminator, Advantage, etc...) Contrary to those designs though, you can actuate the ramp up and have total protection from both cabin flow and the spray associated with tunnel hulls.
Wes
On all the threads I have read, and I am following your boat build with interest, I like your attention to detail, trying things that have never been done before.
"That's the way it has always been done" just doesn't fit in your scheme.
Just thought I would mention it.
Carry on sir.
Brian

Froggystyle
12-05-2004, 09:25 AM
On all the threads I have read, and I am following your boat build with interest, I like your attention to detail, trying things that have never been done before.
"That's the way it has always been done" just doesn't fit in your sceme.
Just thought I would mention it.
Carry on sir.
Brian
Thanks Brian! Missed you last night, but saw your lisence frame. Totally pimp yo...
Drop me an e-mail if you get a chance... wes@tridentboats.com

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks Brian! Missed you last night, but saw your lisence frame. Totally pimp yo...
Drop me an e-mail if you get a chance... wes@tridentboats.com
Thanks Wes.
Will do.
I had plans to be in Abu Dhabi, but the post office had other plans with my passport.
Since I couldn't make the trip, I was working on some parts, and insulating the garage rafters, exciting ey? I would have much rather been in SD, but duty calls.
Brian

revndave
12-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Looks like a Sea Doo boat on the juice with a paint job.Did you use clear,cream or injection?

Keith E. Sayre
12-05-2004, 06:59 PM
I would have expected nothing less! I've said it before publicly and I'll say it
again--I'm as excited as anyone is about your boat. While it may represent
a bit of a threat (maybe a huge one?) in the short term, it will serve in the
long term to force anyone wishing to remain in business to step up and improve on what they have. No matter what it is, it can always be better.
Good luck and keep on it. It gets easier and funner and faster! You'll do well. But then again, since you were the guy in that cold water and sand
all those hours, then out, then humping hills, then back in the water again then humping boats down the beach, etc, I suppose I don't need to tell you that "you'll do well". Nothing but respect for what you are Wes.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400

Kachina26
12-05-2004, 07:55 PM
Ya know Froggy, when I saw this thing in white, I was not that hot on it. But seeing it in color made my jaw drop! I'm gonna have to make my way down to see this thing! Looks great, all the best to you.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 08:04 PM
I would have expected nothing less! I've said it before publicly and I'll say it
long term to force anyone wishing to remain in business to step up and improve on what they have. No matter what it is, it can always be better.
Good luck and keep on it. It gets easier and funner and faster! You'll do well. But then again, since you were the guy in that cold water and sand
all those hours, then out, then humping hills, then back in the water again then humping boats down the beach, etc, I suppose I don't need to tell you that "you'll do well". Nothing but respect for what you are Wes.
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400
That's a big 10-4 CA'MON
Brian

WetWillie
12-05-2004, 08:53 PM
Boat looks awsome. When are you going to set the top on the bottem so we can see the whole thing together?? Or at least the two pieces together??

throwerb
12-05-2004, 09:36 PM
Keith Sayre
Conquest Boats
928-680-1400
Keith you are a class act and any builder would be lucky to have you.

throwerb
12-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Wes
I knew you guys had it figured out, just wanted to ask the question for a little peace of mind. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Jordy
12-06-2004, 06:09 AM
humping boats down the beach
Hey Keith, Wes said he was "sleeping" in those boats. Besides, what he does on his own time is nobodies business. :D :D :D :D

Infomaniac
12-06-2004, 06:29 AM
humping boats down the beach
Hey Keith, Wes said he was "sleeping" in those boats. Besides, what he does on his own time is nobodies business. :D :D :D :D
I wonder if he humped it before or after pissing in it? :eek:

Froggystyle
12-06-2004, 09:10 AM
Wow... thanks for the response everyone. (Thanks Keith... that is awesome to hear from you)
We are bonding the top to bottom this morning. I had a couple of logistical issues, namely that I wanted to put a bow eye on it before getting any further and we had to space the fuel tank a little for the motor mounts, but short of that we are cranking it right out. Right now they are cutting the infusion flange off of the lip of the boat and prepping for the bond.
Busy day today, I will keep you all updated though.

phebus
12-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the update Wes. Updates are great, but picture updates are mo betta brudda!! Break out the camera when you get her capped. Thanks

RiverToysJas
12-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Looking GREAT Wes!!! Congratulations on seeing your dream through!!!
I can't wait to see it on the water.
RTJas :D

NashvilleBound
12-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Wow... thanks for the response everyone. (Thanks Keith... that is awesome to hear from you)
We are bonding the top to bottom this morning. I had a couple of logistical issues, namely that I wanted to put a bow eye on it before getting any further and we had to space the fuel tank a little for the motor mounts, but short of that we are cranking it right out. Right now they are cutting the infusion flange off of the lip of the boat and prepping for the bond.
Busy day today, I will keep you all updated though.
A quick picture of the two halves together, even if not bonded, would be great!!!

Froggystyle
12-06-2004, 09:47 AM
A quick picture of the two halves together, even if not bonded, would be great!!!
That will be saved for the next update to the registered folks. We will be putting that out this week though.
I really appreciate those of you who have registered, and want there to be a payoff for it other than the regular updates.
To this date, they have gotten every update first, and first by a long shot too. Before the press, before the forums. So, I was a little excited about popping it (Plus Screamin Pete was there with his camera so I knew that if I didn't, he would!) so I posted the shots. But no more!!!!! :D :D :D
Seriously though.. thanks everyone.
Now... back to work!

HCS
12-06-2004, 09:55 AM
That will be saved for the next update to the registered folks. We will be putting that out this week though.
I really appreciate those of you who have registered, and want there to be a payoff for it other than the regular updates.
To this date, they have gotten every update first, and first by a long shot too. Before the press, before the forums. So, I was a little excited about popping it (Plus Screamin Pete was there with his camera so I knew that if I didn't, he would!) so I posted the shots. But no more!!!!! :D :D :D
Now... back to work!
Thanks man! :)

PICKLEtheLOAD
12-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Congratulations Wesford! TRIDENT looks like they produce a mighty fine piece of gear. I remember the days when the Revolution was just a concept drawing on an OUTBACK restaurant paper napkin, (in between our beers!) :D BTW, what is the military discount on the REVOLUTION? :supp: Tell Audj and the pizz I said "what up, yo". Again, congrats bro...

shadow
12-07-2004, 06:16 AM
Now... back to work!
Wes, I've never registered i just sit back and watch and get the updates here.
They are usually not far behind.I have been following from start to this exciting point in the game.I appreciate you asking my opinion on your graphics.Can't wait to finally see all your and everyone involved with you hard work finally come together in the finished product.Good luck with the completion and i hope the performance is up to your expectations this much so far sure looks like it is.Congradulations on the progress,hope to see you on the water soon.
Darrell