PDA

View Full Version : Barry Bond's Finally Admits it.

NOTALENT
12-03-2004, 08:10 AM
Report: Bonds Admitted to Using Substances
1 hour, 5 minutes ago
SAN FRANCISCO - Barry Bonds told a grand jury he used a clear substance and a cream provided by a trainer who was indicted in a steroid-distribution ring, but the slugger denied knowing they were steroids, according to a report published Friday.
AP Photo
AP Photo
Slideshow: Sports Doping Issues
Bonds, of the San Francisco Giants (news), testified last year that the trainer, Greg Anderson, said the substances he used in 2003 were the nutritional supplement flaxseed oil and a rubbing balm for arthritis, according to a transcript of his testimony reviewed by the San Francisco Chronicle.
The substances Bonds described were similar to ones known as "the clear" and "the cream," two steroids from the Bay Area Laboratory Co-Operative, the lab at the center of the steroid scandal.
The federal grand jury transcripts are sealed and the newspaper did not say who disclosed the documents. Bonds' attorney, Michael Rains, said the leak was an attempt to smear his client.
"My view has always been this case has been the U.S. vs. Bonds, and I think the government has moved in certain ways in a concerted effort to indict my client," Rains told the newspaper. "And I think their failure to indict him has resulted in their attempts to smear him publicly."
Calls to Rains' office from The Associated Press went unanswered Thursday night.
Tony Serra, Anderson's lawyer, said Anderson "never knowingly provided illegal substances to anyone."
The Chronicle story was the latest development this week in the more-than-yearlong BALCO probe. On Thursday, the paper reported that Yankees slugger Jason Giambi told the grand jury he injected himself with human growth hormone in 2003 and also used steroids for at least three seasons.
Giambi's reported testimony might lead the New York club to terminate his $120 million contract and allow baseball commissioner Bud Selig to discipline him.
Even before the Bonds story was published, U.S. Attorney Kevin Ryan said his office was concerned about the leaks to the Chronicle and asked the Justice Department (news - web sites) to investigate.
Also, ABC News and ESPN the Magazine released excerpts of interviews with Victor Conte, in which the BALCO founder says he saw Olympic track star Marion Jones (news - web sites) inject herself in the leg with human growth hormone. Jones' attorneys denied she ever used performance-enhancing drugs. Conte's interview with ABC's "20/20" program airs Friday night.
The head of the International Olympic Committee (news - web sites), Jacques Rogge, said he was aware of Conte's allegations.
"I hope the truth will emerge," Rogge said Friday in Dubrovnik, Croatia, where he is attending a meeting of the European Olympic Committees. "We want the truth. We want to know what happened and the more we know the better."
Dozens of elite athletes testified before the grand jury last year, including baseball stars Bonds, Giambi and Gary Sheffield, and track stars Jones, Tim Montgomery (news - web sites) and Kelli White.
The probe led to some athletes being banned from the Olympics and left a cloud of suspicion over others, such as Jones, who were allowed to compete despite the investigation.
White, the world-champion sprinter who acknowledged using banned substances and was suspended in May for two years, said the doping culture in sports is so pervasive that she felt compelled to cheat.
"I have no clue what it's going to take to change that," she told reporters Thursday in a tearful interview.
White tested positive in August 2003 for modafinil, a prescription stimulant, and at the time said she took it to combat narcolepsy. She admitted Thursday that the sleeping disorder explanation was "a story Victor told me to use."
She said she used so many substances from Conte that she developed acne and a raspy voice, and menstruated for a week every other week for two months.
Of all the implicated athletes, Bonds is the biggest star, the holder of baseball's single-season home run record of 73 in 2001 and the man who could break Hank Aaron's career homer mark of 755 as early as next year.
Bonds ended last season with 703 homers and won his record seventh Most Valuable Player award. It is uncertain whether these admissions will taint his legacy.
It is uncertain what punishment, if any, Bonds could receive from baseball, which didn't have penalties for steroid use until last year.
While discipline is spelled out for positive tests and criminal convictions from 2003 on, admission of illegal steroid use is not addressed, possibly giving Selig an opening to punish Bonds.

JetBoatRich
12-03-2004, 08:17 AM
No surprise :idea: he still had to have the coordination to hit the ball :jawdrop:

mbrown2
12-03-2004, 08:25 AM
They should put an asterick on his home run record....sure puts it into question. :idea:

Eliminator 4 Life
12-03-2004, 08:27 AM
This is bullshit BONDS is the man and it still takes hand and eye cordination to hit a home run :mad: :mad:

Bre
12-03-2004, 08:28 AM
This is bullshit BONDS is the man and it still takes hand and eye cordination to hit a home run :mad: :mad:
You gonna be ok Rob? :idea:

NOTALENT
12-03-2004, 08:28 AM
Yeah...but it also takes strength.

Eliminator 4 Life
12-03-2004, 08:30 AM
Yea even if he just stood there and swung that bat at everything he would have the homeruns he has. Besides Brobp where are those chicks in that picture :idea:

Eliminator 4 Life
12-03-2004, 08:32 AM
You gonna be ok Rob? :idea:
Yea Bre Im alright I wont $ 5oo last night on the dollar machine wheel of fortune first pull. IM HAPPY :hammer2: :hammer2:

mbrown2
12-03-2004, 08:33 AM
I not saying it don't but a performance enhancing drug helps that bat speed and stimulates all the muscles to perform the act.....Plain and Simple, someone on drugs competing against those that are not is down right cheating.....take a little muscle off, and a little stimulant away, and lets see him hit home runs.....he did'nt have record seasons when he was not all bulked up....Also, I am not a Bonds hater...some hate his attitude, but with all folks that are great come some oddities or high maintenance attitudes..

Eliminator 4 Life
12-03-2004, 08:36 AM
Im not gonna argue with anyone from SO CAL they all love there DODGERS and Im sure as this goes on and on we will see a lot more of great athletes that have used some kind of cream :cool: :cool:

boatnam2
12-03-2004, 08:37 AM
well all i can say is mark maguire got out in time,and it does take cordination and speed to hit home runs but for most guys they just cant do it with out the roids.look at giambi damm guy looks like he's dying from aids.guys like santiago that couldnt hit his way out of a wet paper bag 8 years ago is 40 yrs old twice the size he was before and now he's hitting 40+ home runs come on.

NOTALENT
12-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Im not gonna argue with anyone from SO CAL they all love there DODGERS and Im sure as this goes on and on we will see a lot more of great athletes that have used some kind of cream :cool: :cool:
Ah.shit..bringing up them dodgers!! hell no ANgels all the way...haha..as for the girls...I dont know we went clubbing last night got drunk...u know the story..so there probably sleeping and hungover...SHit I got home at 3am and had to be here at work at6am..im tired..

Eliminator 4 Life
12-03-2004, 08:44 AM
Bropb Not bad at all I must say myself

NOTALENT
12-03-2004, 08:51 AM
Im not complaining.. :D I took alot of pictures last night and I will take more this weekend I plan on posting, but maybe with some new girls..We'll see what I can drag home from the bar.. :D

Eliminator 4 Life
12-03-2004, 08:53 AM
Sounds good to me. IF you cant post them e mail them to me. . We need to meet up some time in Havasu

mbrown2
12-03-2004, 09:08 AM
I not really even a baseball fan.....but everyone could use a little performance enhancing creame... ;) :D
I bet Marianne Jones is the next to change her tune and come clean.....which might put some records really in doubt..

NOTALENT
12-03-2004, 09:10 AM
Sounds good to me. IF you cant post them e mail them to me. We dont want these old guys to have a heart attack :supp: . We need to meet up some time in Havasu
no worries..I could email. As for havasu..I am definatley down on that..Party with a few women...I just need to find a partime job to earn extra income for my motor..but it should be done just in time.

boatnam2
12-03-2004, 09:12 AM
i really feel that for the money they get payed(especially basketball) let them shoot up what ever they want,if they only live to 50 oh well they had a good time getting there.not really fair to the players that dont take riods but oh well im paying good money to see a game and i want to see the yoked up monkey on roids hit it out of the staduim.

RiverDave
12-03-2004, 09:18 AM
Your outta your mind..
These ass clowns cheat, making it damn near impossible for any honest folks to compete and your ok with that? Now personally I could give a shit about Barry Bonds, or Jumanji (or whatever the hell is name is) but the olympic athletes? Talk about an embarassment to our country.. They oughta do some prison time, as well as have their assetts ceized and banned from any future sports to set an example for future people thinking about cheating. Personally as an american I'd rather see us compete in the olympics and LOSE then cheat to win..
RD

NOTALENT
12-03-2004, 09:28 AM
Your outta your mind..
These ass clowns cheat, making it damn near impossible for any honest folks to compete and your ok with that? Now personally I could give a shit about Barry Bonds, or Jumanji (or whatever the hell is name is) but the olympic athletes? Talk about an embarassment to our country.. They oughta do some prison time, as well as have their assetts ceized and banned from any future sports to set an example for future people thinking about cheating. Personally as an american I'd rather see us compete in the olympics and LOSE then cheat to win..
RD
amen to that one RD...I am with u 100%..Cheating to win is just pathetic. I would rather lose knowing I gave it my all.

Tom Brown
12-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Personally as an american I'd rather see us compete in the olympics and LOSE then cheat to win..
WTF? Have globules of fat clogged your brain? :confused:

THOR
12-03-2004, 09:36 AM
Yea even if he just stood there and swung that bat at everything he would have the homeruns he has. Besides Brobp where are those chicks in that picture :idea:
You are a dreamer and have NO idea about steroids or performance enhancing drugs. He cheated and all of the HR's that he hit while he was on the juice should be stricken from the record. Same as Pete Rose; Bonds has embarrased and defaced the game and should be banned.

unleashed
12-03-2004, 09:51 AM
You are a dreamer and have NO idea about steroids or performance enhancing drugs. He cheated and all of the HR's that he hit while he was on the juice should be stricken from the record. Same as Pete Rose; Bonds has embarrased and defaced the game and should be banned.
If you ban Bonds than you'd have to ban the other 75% of baseball athletes. Oh and lets not stop there. The NFL would definitly be done as a sport alltogether. There will always be a way around tests as thats what these labs do. They create the next big drug thats undetectable through current tests. Do I agree with steroid use. Hell no. but I also dont agree on banning one guy than letting the rest go. They should have mandatory testing every 2 weeks in all sports and this would definitly have an effect. Thats the only way. Would it stop use alltogether, No. But it would slow it down.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :crossx:

THOR
12-03-2004, 10:04 AM
If you ban Bonds than you'd have to ban the other 75% of baseball athletes. Oh and lets not stop there. The NFL would definitly be done as a sport alltogether. There will always be a way around tests as thats what these labs do. They create the next big drug thats undetectable through current tests. Do I agree with steroid use. Hell no. but I also dont agree on banning one guy than letting the rest go. They should have mandatory testing every 2 weeks in all sports and this would definitly have an effect. Thats the only way. Would it stop use alltogether, No. But it would slow it down.
Deano
Agreed. But, the integrity of the game is compromised. Personally, I think Gaimbi committed career suicide. Poor guy.
Deano, I just had a large grande at the Coffee Bean off of Main street by your crib.

unleashed
12-03-2004, 10:09 AM
Agreed. But, the integrity of the game is compromised. Personally, I think Gaimbi committed career suicide. Poor guy.
Deano, I just had a large grande at the Coffee Bean off of Main street by your crib.
I agree about the integrity of the game. Alot of these guys will die an early age so there is a price to these types of drugs. Hopefully someone can bring back some integrity. I used to workout in Hermosa Beach. Karros, Piazza, jason kendal all these guys worked out there. I saw these guys as rookies where'd they come into camp looking like your average person. I remember in 3 months these guys were turned into muscle heads. I had my suspicians back than that steroids were to blame. Unfortunatly I think I was right. There was no way these guys could get so big so fast.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com) :devil:

HCS
12-03-2004, 10:10 AM
These guys have to tell the truth. Lying to a grand jury will land your ass in prison. :idea:

unleashed
12-03-2004, 10:12 AM
Oh yeah, I really do feel for Giambi. He was the only one of the bunch that admited he knew what he was taking. I think Bonds is chicken shit but hes no dummie. If you say you didnt know what it was that is better than admitting it if you want to save your career. Oh yeah Bonds does have to look himself in the mirror everyday. That must not be a pretty site deep down inside.
Deano
Unleashedclothing (http://www.unleashedclothing.com)

THOR
12-03-2004, 10:16 AM
I am 100% positive the Bonds was preped by his lawyers prior to the grand jury testimony.
I think the only folks that dont believe there is not enough evidence on Bonds are the OJ Simpson jurors. ;)

Ducatista
12-03-2004, 10:42 AM
Here is the opinion of a former major league pitcher that I found on Yahoo that gives his perspective that I found poignant.
Throw the book at 'em
by Jack McDowell, Yahoo! Sports
December 3, 2004
Now we are faced with the absolute truth of steroid use in baseball.
I'm glad it is finally getting out and everybody can't hide behind lies and tales of witch-hunting. Everyone from the owners to the beat writers who cover the teams has a pretty good idea who has used steroids over the years. Until now, steroid use has fallen under the guise of no talk, no harm.
Now baseball is forced to meet it head on, and let me say, as a former pitcher who was on the receiving end of my share of juiced offense: It's about time.
What should be done with athletes who admit to having taken steroids? Is it as detrimental to the game as Pete Rose's gambling, for which he was banned?
This is substance abuse, but it should not fall under the substance abuse clauses. Steroids are drugs, but this isn't, "Oh, poor so and so, he has a problem. Let's send him to rehab to get him better."
This is flat-out cheating, which taints the game in the historical vein and also indirectly hurts those players who have stayed clean.
How many "clean" players have lost jobs to "juicers" over the years? How many pitchers have given up hits and runs they wouldn't have if it was a level playing field?
I chuckled this week when my name was added to this year's Hall of Fame ballot. It was an honor, but not at all realistic. But I did wonder what might have been if I hadn't competed against juiced hitters and compared numbers with juiced pitchers. This whole thing is a damn mess and everyone is to blame.
If anyone thinks that the owners, GM's and coaching staffs of teams don't know or strongly suspect which of their players are on the juice, then you're naive. If you don't believe that these same people haven't directly or indirectly turned players toward steroids, then you're crazy.
And then there's the players themselves. We all can wash our hands and say, "How can anyone resist, with all that money out there, and the pressure to compete at that level?" There are many ways to cheat. ALL OF THEM ARE ILLEGAL.
In deciding what to do with all this, Major League Baseball needs to look at the damage this behavior has done to the game. In my humble opinion, it far outweighs the damage Pete Rose caused the great name of baseball.
Jack McDowell is Yahoo! Sports' MLB analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column.

redi4fun
12-03-2004, 10:55 AM
I think the only folks that dont believe there is not enough evidence on Bonds are the OJ Simpson jurors. ;)[/QUOTE]
That was funny. :D

Tom Brown
12-03-2004, 11:01 AM
I think the only folks that dont believe there is not enough evidence on Bonds are the OJ Simpson jurors. ;)
If the drugs don't track,
You've got jack.

RiverDave
12-03-2004, 11:01 AM
If you ban Bonds than you'd have to ban the other 75% of baseball athletes. Oh and lets not stop there. The NFL would definitly be done as a sport alltogether. Deano
Screw em, Ban em all and bring em up from the minors..
RD

Tom Brown
12-03-2004, 11:08 AM
Once they get the professional sports drug problem cleaned up, they should ban artificial teeth as well. It would add a neat element to the NHL.

BoatFloating
12-03-2004, 11:53 AM
Let me tell you this. The last year, the first year of random steriod testing nobody hit over 50 Homeruns. Barry Bonds was a career 45 a year HR hitter and did you see pictures of him when was with the Pirates before he goes on the juice and then hit 73 and a couple 60's and the last year back in the 40's the year the start test and the Balco deal hmmmmmm........
Bottom line if your in the Majors you have the tools to be there ie; hand and eye cordination. If you use steriod then you have a unfair advantage over the guys that don't. Bottom line Barry Bonds and Jason Giambi are cheaters period..... I love it I took this stuff and I don't know what it was. Ya right Liar!!!

1978 Rogers
12-03-2004, 11:55 AM
They should put an asterick on his home run record....sure puts it into question. :idea:
What about the Yanks and world series. Stick an asterick on those also. Jason certainly didn't hurt the team back in those days. I think it's tarnish the reputation now.

HCS
12-03-2004, 11:58 AM
Screw em, Ban em all and bring em up from the minors..
RD
I think they should just write it off as the drug years. I'd put money on the fact that Mark Maguire to roids. Jose Conseco admitted it. I think they all did.
I had my drug years. :squiggle:

MKEELINE
12-03-2004, 12:08 PM
Do you honestly think that guys in the minors are any cleaner? I don't think so.
Why hasn't MLB had a steroid policy until now? Because guys hitting balls out of the park, in record numbers, has breathed life back in the game. They're just now realizing that they have a prblem with steroids, give me a break. Did anyone think that Mcgwire and Sosa were clean during their record chase, no way. MLB has been sitting on their hands will this problem has gotten bigger and bigger. YES, it is ultimately up to the player to decide if they are going to use or not. BUT, if the league doesn't say that it's against the rules then why shouldn't they.
Most of these guys don't give two sh*ts about the integrity of the game, they only care about the big paycheck.

THOR
12-03-2004, 12:28 PM
There is nothing wrong with the flax seed oil that Bonds was using. I honestly think he used it to fit his ball cap over his enormous mellon he has from using the juice. :cool:

HCS
12-03-2004, 12:38 PM
The local radio station here was talking to the local high school football coaches. The coaches were commenting on how high school kids are hitting the gym and the riods. Their doing everything they can to get that scholarship.
I have freinds that use them and I'm sure some of you have used em. :idea: