PDA

View Full Version : A Good friend with Cancer

JetBoatRich
12-04-2004, 06:44 PM
There has been some talk about this subject the last couple weeks and it has touched home :mad: Ralph a person who started off as somebody I new from work, later a friend. Some of you met him at the Piru end of summer party in 2002.
Ralph's boat at the Piru trip
http://www.speedcraving.com/dynda/jim/piru/PA130099.jpg
Ralph standing next to me
http://www.speedcraving.com/dynda/jim/piru/PA130109.jpg
It started off as skin cancer and now spread, he is battling a brain tumor right now.
I called him out of the blue about a month ago and his wife told he just got home from the hospital and then put him on the phone. He was still a little out of it, but good spirits considering. I did not know about the tumor at the time, but did know he had other medical conditions.
Today he called me and asked if I could come by and reconnect his wireless system and computers. No problem, I will be by later this afternoon. Just got home after fixing the system and talking with him and his wife. He has a hard time getting around and his left side is partly paralyzed, but can walk around with help of a walker. The recovery will take some time, but he will continue to battle and keep his sense of humor.
Like I said earlier, he is one of the funniest persons I ever new and always full of character. God Bless him and help to win this battle.
Piru Thread (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20968)

LVJAKAZ
12-04-2004, 06:47 PM
That is so hard it see a friend go thru that...i sorry :frown: all you can do is let him know you care and are there for him
Marla

Mrs CP 19
12-04-2004, 08:43 PM
He will be in my thoughts and prayers. Be there for him if you can, and just let him know he is in your thoughts. I too am battling cancer now and friends being there have meant the world! Jill

Dr. Eagle
12-04-2004, 08:46 PM
Damn,
That is one thing we are all more exposed to as boaters... the sun, and consequently more at risk for Skin Cancer.
I hope he completely recovers, but it sounds like a tough road...

jdogginla
12-04-2004, 08:48 PM
Recovery is alot easier when you have a good support system and good friends.........I'm sure he appreciates it.

JetBoatRich
12-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Ralph told me when we were leaving, he has to get better because he has to many plans this summer :notam: back into boating.
I had my wife and kids with me, he did not have a lot of energy but still messed with my son :D

Mrs CP 19
12-04-2004, 09:14 PM
GREAT...Attitude is a big part of getting better!!

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-04-2004, 09:37 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your friend rich. He his family and you and yours will be in our prayers..
Get well soon Ralph. :frown: :cool:

superdave013
12-04-2004, 11:00 PM
Well I've been down this road with my best friend.
All I can say is it's cool that you're being a good friend. It's hard and it's going to get harder as it goes on. When my friend was really sick alot of the other guys (we were a really tight group) quit calling and stoping by. They said it was to hard and they didn't know what to say. Well if you think it's hard on us just think what he's going though. He needed us and so did his wife and kids.
It got to the point that you could not even tell it was him any longer. A man that went from 185 pounds was now under 90. But man, if you looked into his eyes and talked to him he was still the same guy on the inside.
Hang in there rich, it makes a difference when they know someone cares.

SoCal_fun
12-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Sorry to hear about this Rich. Your being a good friend will help him get through this. Lets hope we see him out there this summer with the Posse! :)

JetBoatRich
12-05-2004, 05:57 AM
Sorry to hear about this Rich. Your being a good friend will help him get through this. Lets hope we see him out there this summer with the Posse! :)
I will have to try and get him out Larry :idea: it is my friend who lives over by you in the gated community on "N"
He has some good friends and said he has received a lot of letters and cards, he mentioned he does not know what he did to deserve it. I have known the guy 20 years and he has always been one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. Always laughing and having fun.
They sold there house last month, he told me the medical expenses will eat up the savings :mad:

ahhell
12-05-2004, 06:41 AM
A good attitude and poossitive outlook are very helpfull in the battle, its when you give up that you get your ass kicked...tell him to keep fighting!!!

WUTWZAT
12-05-2004, 06:54 AM
Let me see if I can post this here, I know most of you know me as a smart ass and such but a good friend of mine has just begun running marathons for kids with Lukemia. She just finished a marathon in San Francisco in October of this year and will be in a half this weekend in Newport Beach. She had never ran until now in her life and it is cool to see the progress she has made. I am not solicitating donatation (yet) but she always had goals set for herself for around $5000.00 and is always a little short and must pay the difference from her own pocket. Just thought I'd share since the subject is on the boards.
Jason

THOR
12-05-2004, 08:04 AM
Sorry to hear that JBR. My grandfather died of brain cancer and it hit my Dad pretty hard. Tell him not to give up no matter what.

coolchange
12-05-2004, 08:49 AM
What Superdave said is 100% right on. True freinds are connected with the SPIRIT of the person, not the physical.
Me- Oncology class of 88-89. I spent approx. 10 months in the hospital over a year and a half. Went in an animal, came out the walking dead. Quit a lot of life time freinds and gained some new ones.
Have freind who had brain cancer a while ago. They had 2 options, Go in and try to dig it out, or go in and REALLY try to dig it out. He said to be really aggressive and they were. Has a big dent in the side of his head. Says the only side affect is he breaks out yelling in German every once in a while :2purples: (he doesnt know German)
IT IS TRUELY AMAZING WHAT THE BODY CAN HANDLE AND ADAPT TO.
He had some ESL doctor come in and tell him "You die, 6 month."
We have been laughing about that for the last 6 YEARS!

Mandelon
12-05-2004, 09:20 AM
I talked to Ralph on the phone a couple of times when he was looking to sell that boat. Cool guy. Hope it works out alright for him. :smile:

Kilrtoy
12-05-2004, 09:42 AM
WOW, Rich,
im at a loss for words, sorry to hear about your friend, hang in their for him Rich....

THOR
12-05-2004, 09:53 AM
What Superdave said is 100% right on. True freinds are connected with the SPIRIT of the person, not the physical.
Me- Oncology class of 88-89. I spent approx. 10 months in the hospital over a year and a half. Went in an animal, came out the walking dead. Quit a lot of life time freinds and gained some new ones.
Have freind who had brain cancer a while ago. They had 2 options, Go in and try to dig it out, or go in and REALLY try to dig it out. He said to be really aggressive and they were. Has a big dent in the side of his head. Says the only side affect is he breaks out yelling in German every once in a while :2purples: (he doesnt know German)
IT IS TRUELY AMAZING WHAT THE BODY CAN HANDLE AND ADAPT TO.
He had some ESL doctor come in and tell him "You die, 6 month."
We have been laughing about that for the last 6 YEARS!
Great story man. I love to hear that stuff. Tell me that you guys laugh your butts off when he yells in German. I just couldnt contain myself.

NorCal Gameshow
12-05-2004, 09:57 AM
sorry to hear anyone having to go through this :frown: ...
good friends and family always help :chi:

OutCole'd
12-05-2004, 09:58 AM
Rich, so sorry to hear about your buddy. Best of luck to him!!
It's pretty scary. Cancer was something I heard of as a kid but thought for sure they would have a cure for it long before it was something I would need to be concerned with. Now i'm 40 and it does not seem like we are really any closer. :(
It is great to hear the positive stories though.

coolchange
12-05-2004, 10:22 AM
Cancer was something I heard of as a kid but thought for sure they would have a cure for it long before it was something I would need to be concerned with. Now i'm 40 and it does not seem like we are really any closer. :(
It is great to hear the positive stories though.
Then you're just not paying attention. :D
If I went through my deal in the 60s I probably would have died.
When I went through it they pumped me with enough poison to kill a horse everyday.( Imagine your worst Tequila drunk and hangover lasting for 2 weeks) then hoped I didn't die before I recovered. Now for the same thing you basicaly take a pill and go home.

Mrs. casean
12-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Rich, I hope he recovers well and has a wonderful fulfilling lifetime to live :D
Best of luck to Ralph!!!

Mrs.HLB
12-05-2004, 02:35 PM
He will be in our thoughts & prayers. Real friends stick together no matter what. Keep the faith!!

JetBoatRich
12-05-2004, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone for their responses :D I will send Raplh the link and let him know we are here for him.

JetBoatRich
12-09-2004, 05:37 PM
Talked to Ralph about an hour ago, he is feeling better. He told me one more series of chemo for the year, then gets the holidays off from it :D
Looks like they are moving to the Santa Clarita area first week of January

Performance 19
12-09-2004, 05:43 PM
Very glad to hear it! Mrs CP 19 just got her last chemo for the year too! Hopefully he'll be feeling better for the holidays. Jim

Mrs. Restless22
12-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Good to hear hes doing good.
I wish him the best!

Tom Brown
12-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Talked to Ralph about an hour ago, he is feeling better.
Hang in there, Rich. Ralph is fortunate to have you for a friend. I wish you both the best.

Debbolas
12-09-2004, 06:59 PM
My thoughts and prayers are for your friend........... and I can tell ya about the power of hot boat prayer and possitive thoughts!! :cool:

OutCole'd
12-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Talked to Ralph about an hour ago, he is feeling better. He told me one more series of chemo for the year, then gets the holidays off from it :D
Looks like they are moving to the Santa Clarita area first week of January
Great new Rich. Hope everything turns out for the best!!

Scream
12-09-2004, 08:41 PM
Rich, your friend is lucky to have someone like you stand by his side. With friends like you helping him keep his spirits up, he'll do much better than being on his own.
Scream

JetBoatRich
12-21-2004, 05:46 PM
Just gave Ralph a call and he sounded great :D He was joking around and seems to be healing. The Doctors said he was happy with the recent progress. Sounded real positive about getting better :D

Mrs. HOOTER SLED
12-21-2004, 05:58 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend rich................. It sounds like he's in great spirits during all of this. Help him keep it up :D We wish the best of luck for him during all of this :clover: :clover: :clover:
Michelle n Jason

atomickitn
12-21-2004, 07:34 PM
from desert rat to desert rat ,many prayers and thoughts,, get well soon

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 07:38 PM
Damn Rich, that hurts.
I am so sorry for this situation. We should all note that we spend a lot of time in the sun... don't let it happen to you or someone else you love... :(

Debbolas
12-21-2004, 07:53 PM
I'm glad your friend is feeling better :D

Dr. Eagle
12-21-2004, 07:57 PM
I'm glad your friend is feeling better :D
It's awesome he's feeling better, but gosh what a bummer situation. I certainly hope he beats this thing and I am sure he will!

kphayes
12-22-2004, 03:43 AM
JBR-as you may or my not know about my buddie Cale, He is go through similar BS with that nasty Cancer(a bone Cancer). Don't know how they do it but, they are some strong people and I have faith that they will get though it. Give my best to him and we will keep him in our prayers.
Kyle

RiverKitty
12-22-2004, 04:01 AM
Rich, so sorry to hear about your friend. My brother Ben was 27 when he found out about his brain tumor. He had brain surgury....and the doctors removed as much of it as they could. As the tumor spread to the right side of his brain, he was also was paralyzed on his left side. I think the most important thing in his life was his friends & families support & love... and that each and every day was lived to the fullest. My dad would take him out to the lake to go fishing. He couldn't walk very well but we all helped him....it is some of the most special memories I will ever have. My Uncle John also had a brain tumor. I don't want to go into to much detail but bottom line, make each and everyday count ... He is truly blessed to have you as a friend. He will be in my heart and prayers. ~RK

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 05:17 AM
Glad to hear a good report.

JetBoatRich
01-25-2005, 09:36 PM
Update On Ralph :cool: good news again, he is getting around and sold his house, moved to Valencia, near his Grandkids :cool: He even made it down to San Diego for a Tech seminar a couple weeks, was able to see his old friends from 30 years of business. Ralph is a salesman, so he made many friends over the years, which he is greatful at how many have contacted him fro support. He is always a character, which has not changed.
He begins treatments again this week :yuk: which is never fun

Debbolas
01-25-2005, 09:39 PM
:D Good News :D

JetBoatRich
03-16-2005, 02:30 PM
:o UpDate
I called Ralph two weeks ago and he said he just woke, so very tired. Treatments were changed because they quit working. But he sounded OK about it, hoping the other treatments work.
Today, I was at a meeting with mutual friends of Ralph and one guy spent all day with him last Saturday. They gave Ralph 2-4weeks left in his life. The cancer has spread to badly.

BarryMac
03-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Rich, I am really sorry to hear the news of your friend, my thought and prayers are with him and his family, hoping for a full and speedy recovery...

PlyaPlya22
03-16-2005, 02:41 PM
My thlughts and prayers go out to your friend and his family in this time of need. Just keep the prayer going.
Eric

OGShocker
03-16-2005, 02:43 PM
He is in our thoughts and prayers JBR

Tom Brown
03-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Hang in there, Rich. Your friend Ralph has my best wishes, as do you.

Essex29
03-16-2005, 03:11 PM
WOW!
I met Ralph a couple of years ago when I bought the 540m out of his Ultra...great guy.
Very sorry to hear the news. :frown:

Mrs.Racer277
03-16-2005, 03:13 PM
Rich I am so sorry to hear the sad news. He and his family will be in our thoughts and prayers.

JetBoatRich
03-16-2005, 05:33 PM
WOW!
I met Ralph a couple of years ago when I bought the 540m out of his Ultra...great guy.
Very sorry to hear the news. :frown:
Yes he is a great guy

dicudmore
03-17-2005, 07:27 AM
:o UpDate
I called Ralph two weeks ago and he said he just woke, so very tired. Treatments were changed because they quit working. But he sounded OK about it, hoping the other treatments work.
Today, I was at a meeting with mutual friends of Ralph and one guy spent all day with him last Saturday. They gave Ralph 2-4weeks left in his life. The cancer has spread to badly.
sorry to hear that :(

JustMVG
03-17-2005, 07:30 AM
So sorry to hear the news, He will be in our prayers and thoughts, MikeVG