PDA

View Full Version : droop snoot advice

carreraeagle1
06-15-2001, 01:15 PM
I have a 2000 Carrera 20ft Eagle w/ a marine power 454 magnum. It is pushing 62mph now. I have been told the new Place Diverter Droop Snoot with adjustable ride plate can add up to 4mph. Does anyone have any expierience with this?
Thanks
Brian

Slick
06-15-2001, 02:33 PM
Thinking about one for myself if I switch to a split bowl when I have the pump done. Already have a ride plate though. I'd like to hear some imput on this one as well as other droop snoots.
Slick

froggystyle
06-15-2001, 09:24 PM
The key ingredient to those claims is "up to" Your boat has to need it to use it. The diverter adds speed to any jet. Plain and simple. By finding the correct trim angle, you will cause the boat to perform better, less wet, and more control. The angle that occurs at is rarely the same angle that getting out of the hole is most efficient, or skiing behind is tolerable, hence the adjustable part. The droop snoot merely lowers the thrust line, or I think builders call it the "X" dimension, levering the front end of the boat more out of the water at all times. This results in a boat less wet usually. I have had, and not had a droop. I can't really tell the difference. I surely didn't earn 4 mph. The first boat, the one without, ran 69 without, and 69 with. This was an older style without the ride plate though. THAT may gain you some speed. Pros... Lower X dimension, hot boaters all think it looks cool, and no smokin boat appears complete without it. Cons... another foot more garage space and minimal performance gain. I am not putting one on the new boat. The set back jet, combined with the aforementioned 1ft longer will make it unwieldy in a garage, and I have not proven a need.
If it was that good a deal, Berkeley would have a version stock. Anything to put them over the edge with the competition these days.
Another thing... There is an old style that is really long. This one from all the stories I've heard from people who know does more harm than good. If you find one, all it is useful for is showing people what a bad one looks like.
Good luck

Jim
06-15-2001, 09:31 PM
If you find a long one i'll buy it cheap, if they don't work, it should be real cheap, I'll take one, two or three of them. Jim Brock

froggystyle
06-16-2001, 09:15 AM
Jim, are you making a sculpture with them or something? http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif I have only heard they blow from several sources... i.e. Tim Place, Joe Pudowski of JP Marine, and CP Performance. What application do you use it for?

Jim
06-16-2001, 10:09 PM
froggy, thats my secret Jim

froggystyle
06-16-2001, 10:25 PM
Ahhhhhh, the old secret to making it work trick. I am going on pure heresay, so I hope it works for you. I'll send any I find your way.

ChetCapoli
06-17-2001, 04:30 AM
Hey jim,
what is so good about the long snoot? thanks in advance
chet

jet496
06-17-2001, 07:05 AM
I have a friend with a droop & he has to open up the external clean-out everytime he puts in the water to get the air out. Otherwise it cavitates from an air pocket sitting in there. Is this typical? He's the only one I know with one.

froggystyle
06-17-2001, 09:16 AM
All you have to do to prevent that is to let it sit for a second, and the bottom of the pump will fill up. Also, back into the water with the reverse gate open, it lets more water in. One blip of the throttle and the air pocket says bye bye. I've seen people put a little valve on the fill plug too. Either way I guess. Mine isn't a real problem

Slow Boat 001
06-17-2001, 11:04 AM
tell your friend to go to www.hi-techperformance.com (http://www.hi-techperformance.com) and get a prim-a-jet they are only about $40.00 or so. They work I have one on my boat. I think you should have one on any jet snoot or not.
www.worthingtonmotorsports.nasha.com (http://www.worthingtonmotorsports.nasha.com)
[This message has been edited by Slow Boat 001 (edited June 17, 2001).]

kingb36
06-17-2001, 11:27 PM
You can make a pretty neat bong out of those old style long snoots. Great for smokin' Fords. Maybe thats what Jim is up too?

Jim
06-18-2001, 07:01 AM
Ceck out Calhoun spectra on ***boat cove, it's used to smoke chevy's too. Jim