PDA

View Full Version : American Made Tiedowns

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 12:13 PM
As most of you know I try and preach to everyone to buy American made products wherever they can. For good reason.
Anyway, sometimes it is hard to find things that ARE made in America.
I was at Home Depot this morning, I was looking for some additional tie downs to hold the cover on my $500 Motorhome. They had the 4-pack of tiedowns everyone sells, but they had another get up from a company that was American made. Granted they were more expensive, but our costs of living, and STANDARD of living here, are much more expensive, in short, as far as I am concerned, there is no free lunch, and the costs are relative.
So I thought tie downs are something we boaters all use, so if you care, I just wanted everyone to know you have an alternative to 8 year old child Chinese labor.
Keeper Corp's website (http://www.keepercorp.com)
I also bought some outside lights for the house and garage, and there isn't a single one I could find that was made in America. I wasn't real happy buying something taht I didn't have a CHOICE on what I bought.
Sorry for the long post, but it is something I am deeply concerned about.
Brian

Sweet Addiction
12-05-2004, 12:19 PM
Thanks for Posting that. I am also concerned with more American Made Products, but sometimes We just cannot get around it. I have been looking for a good set of tie downs for the boat, so I will just get in my truck and head myself down to the Local homedepot and pick some of those up. If in stock.

bigd1
12-05-2004, 12:23 PM
10 years from now the only things that will be American made are currency, reality TV, and law degrees.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 12:25 PM
As I always do, I was walking around the tool section with mild interest. Low and behold, I noticed the Husky air compressors have American Made all over them. Since I have been in the market for a bigger compressor for some time I was interested.
Husky isn't a name in tools I normally buy, since I am a Snap-On/Craftsman type of guy. But if you have been around Sears lately, they are seriously
"cheapening up", it is scary, I am wondering how long it will be before the "Made In USA, Guaranteed Forever" is a memory. Half the tool section is made in China. Good luck finding airtools.
Anyway I am the proud new owner of a big-ass compressor, now I need to build a house for it on the rear of the garage. Stage 2 of my 3-4 stage incognitio manufacturing center in my garage.
Brian

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 12:29 PM
On Keeper's website, there are several other stores where their products can be found.
Brian

spectratoad
12-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Try to find something made in America in WalMart. Good Luck. I do agree with you though on BUY AMERICAN.

Sweet Addiction
12-05-2004, 12:32 PM
Anyway I am the proud new owner of a big-ass compressor, now I need to build a house for it on the rear of the garage. Stage 2 of my 3-4 stage incognitio manufacturing center in my garage.
Thats quite funny. I have been doing the same thing. Looking at those air Compressors, but cannot bring myself to buying one. My Pops bought one for his shop and its a Hauss. Those things are relatively large, so I can see where you need to expand to get one into a garage. :D
good luck with the rennovation project. Jared.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Try to find something made in America in WalMart. Good Luck. I do agree with you though on BUY AMERICAN.
Ol Sam would roll in his grave if he knew the direction of his empire.
I used to go to that store and find "Made In USA" on tags of items there, good luck with that now.
Brian

JustMVG
12-05-2004, 12:44 PM
Brian, the "cheapening" of Sears is evident when you see the merger of Sears and Kmart, yup Kmart, weren't they bankrupt?, is offering to buy Sears and the merger should be in effect sometime in 05, American made is a title that is going to be put on an endangered species list, sad commentary on life in America.
MikeVG

rrrr
12-05-2004, 03:09 PM
Brian
I'm trying to get the utility company to drop three phase 480 in my garage. :D
The power lines are in the alley behind the house, they just need to hang some pole mount xfmrs and away we go...... :hammer2: :hammer2: :D :D

Blown 472
12-05-2004, 03:19 PM
Now say it with me "Outsourcing is good for America" :messedup: :messedup:

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm trying to get the utility company to drop three phase 480 in my garage. :D
The power lines are in the alley behind the house, they just need to hang some pole mount xfmrs and away we go...... :hammer2: :hammer2: :D :D
No problem, they will be happy to do it for you. The problem with that is you have to BUY the transformer. For $5000. Not that big of a deal IF you got to keep it when you move. Nope, not the case, when you move, you get to buy a new one, and someone gets your old one for free. That deal for me.
I bought a phase converter for my "shop".
Brian

Mandelon
12-05-2004, 05:18 PM
http://www.madeinusa.com/content/public/aboutus.htm

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Thanks for the link Mandy.
I bought a few similar address with plans to do something similar.
Brian

Cs19
12-05-2004, 08:43 PM
But if you have been around Sears lately, they are seriously
"cheapening up", it is scary,
Brian
Man isnt that the truth. i went to Sears on Saturday, and I was blown away with how low quality everything is, and how they didnt have anything I wanted. I walked out a little diassapointed, actualy I was pissed! That and the people shopping there were just dirtbags.I think i was the only guy there that spoke english too. :mad:
Fu*k Craftsman tools! Problem is I cant afford snap on. Whats the in-between of snap-on and Craftsman? Mac and matco? and where do you buy this stuff other than a truck? I hate buying off the trucks, its always a rushed situation.
K done venting now.

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Man isnt that the truth. i went to Sears on Saturday, and I was blown away with how low quality everything is, and how they didnt have anything I wanted. I walked out a little diassapointed, actualy I was pissed! That and the people shopping there were just dirtbags.I think i was the only guy there that spoke english too. :mad:
Fu*k Craftsman tools! Problem is I cant afford snap on. Whats the in-between of snap-on and Craftsman? Mac and matco? and where do you buy this stuff other than a truck? I hate buying off the trucks, its always a rushed situation.
K done venting now.
I hate to say it, but Home Depot's Husky brand is American made, and they have the same guarantee as Craftsman.
I would like to add that I will buy Craftsman tools as long as they are still American made. No matter what idiot I have to deal with to get them. Call me nostalgic.
Everyone except Matco can only be bought on a truck as far as I know.
I am pretty sure you can purchase all of the majors from the internet.
Brian

hasty450
12-05-2004, 09:15 PM
I've been told by Husky Rep's that the same company which manufactured Craftsman back in there prime is now manufacturing Husky tools. Craftsman has now outsourced to a cheaper manufacturer. I've noticed that the newer Craftsman tools I have break a lot easier than the older ones. So maybe there is some truth to the statement. :idea:

wsuwrhr
12-05-2004, 09:20 PM
I've been told by Husky Rep's that the same company which manufactured Craftsman back in there prime is now manufacturing Husky tools. Craftsman has now outsourced to a cheaper manufacturer. I've noticed that the newer Craftsman tools I have break a lot easier than the older ones. So maybe there is some truth to the statement. :idea:
I stand corrected. I have not had the same problem, if that were the case I wouldn't be buying from Sears no matter what the guarantee.
I hope that isn't the case.
Brian
I would agree that the Husky tools do resemble Craftsman.

rrrr
12-05-2004, 11:17 PM
I put together a really nice set of tools by purchasing Snap-On stuff on eBay. First I got a Snap-On catalog along with a price list, and found out what my multiplier would be from my local driver. Armed with that info, I went eBaying and got some really good deals.
For instance, this tool chest was $995 at my discount:
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/46800/46719.JPG
I bought it on eBay (new) for $500.
One thing that is a must, you have to sign up for a sniping service. I use Powersnipe (http://www.powersnipe.com/). For fifty bucks you get an electronic geek that will place your bid 3 to 8 seconds before an auction ends. It's worth the cost.
My Snap-On collection is worth over $10K at mechanic prices, I spent less than $5K assembling it.
FWIW, I think Snap-On makes the Kobalt tools sold in Lowe's Home Improvement centers.

Rexone
12-05-2004, 11:41 PM
First off I'm all for American Made...
but...
What is "really" all American made any more? Just because it says Made in USA on the label does not mean everything in that product came from the USA. It simply means the product itself was made in the USA (maybe).
One example most of us are familiar with.. Auto Meter Gauges. Says Made in USA or America right on the dial. The gauges are built here in the USA...that is true. But numerous components come from asia and elsewhere. I know this is fact. Electronic parts and other metal components for the gauges come from many countries. Now considering Auto Meter is an OE manufacturer for many American Car and Motorcycle companies besides their branded products we sell and private label companies like Livorsi sells... well you get my point.
There are foreign electronic components in just about every appliance and electronic gadget we own including the one I'm typing this post on which is made by HP, an American company. I'll bet a good part of the electronics inside this computer didn't have a US origin.
Cars and trucks... even the domestics are full of foriegn made parts. My guess is some of the foreign companies that have plants here in the US like Honda and Toyota make cars with more US parts than some of Ford and GM's stuff.
And raw material... aluminum for instance. Much of it comes from mills overseas. Even US mills use ingots from elsewhere to manufacture their bar and plate. Just because it has Made in USA stamped on the bar doesn't mean that was the materials raw origin.
Ever buy a diamond. Chances are its not USA origin. Or toys, or most tools, or just about any friggin thing you can think of. Even most the gas you put in your car is made from non-US oil although most is refined here. The list is long. So how much of what we buy and use is really made in the USA, including many of the US made products mentioned in the above posts and the very products Brian produces out of aluminum bar and plate? Just food for thought.
While you can somewhat avoid buying finished foreign goods in some product areas, you can't in others (if you want the products) and you really have no way of knowing the origin of components and materials used in the average store bought item with the Made in USA label on it.

Blown 472
12-06-2004, 01:04 AM
K done venting now.
Big woop, find a place that the truck goes to every week, and go there. Where I work they are there twice a week, go on browse around get your broke shit fixxed and be on your way.

ratso
12-06-2004, 01:05 AM
Big woop, find a place that the truck goes to every week, and go there. Where I work they are there twice a week, go on browse around get your broke shit fixxed and be on your way.
cool... a reply that doesn't include a line to a song... :D

Blown 472
12-06-2004, 01:08 AM
cool... a reply that doesn't include a line to a song... :D
Damn it, forgot that. :boxed:

ratso
12-06-2004, 01:17 AM
Damn it, forgot that. :boxed:
:D :D :D :D

wsuwrhr
12-06-2004, 07:13 AM
First off I'm all for American Made...
but...
What is "really" all American made any more? Just because it says Made in USA on the label does not mean everything in that product came from the USA. It simply means the product itself was made in the USA (maybe).
You are 100% correct.
Unfortunately, all you have to do is add value to a product and you can call it American Made.
I know alot of aluminum ingots come from Dubai, the aluminum I buy has Kaiser linemarked on it, but to tell you the truth, I never asked it's country of origin.
I may just have to ask where it comes from.
Brian

wsuwrhr
12-06-2004, 07:21 AM
So how much of what we buy and use is really made in the USA, including many of the US made products mentioned in the above posts and the very products Brian produces out of aluminum bar and plate?
Rex,
Help a brother out, direct me to where you buy your aluminum from.
Brian