PDA

View Full Version : Mufflers on Boats

NorCalCat
12-06-2004, 03:35 PM
What kind of mufflers are you all going with? I am in Northern California and they are not as strict, but I better add them so I don't ruin a day by getting kicked of the water.
Is there a loss of power? I am running a 540. How quite does it make it?

LHC30Victory
12-06-2004, 04:08 PM
try this link to an earlier post:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64119&highlight=muffler

purrfecttremor
12-06-2004, 04:37 PM
im waiting until all test results are available.there are so many different brands,configurations and pricing.new tips with slide in baffles,whole new mufflers at a huge price even in line under your engine cvr.WTF

ELIMINAT THIS
12-06-2004, 05:01 PM
:D NorCalCat did you get the boat running. What was the problem.hope to see you on the delta soon. You can buy me a beer for the tow ha ha. Wait with that dui tread earlier make it a diet coke please :eek:

Eliminator 4 Life
12-06-2004, 05:03 PM
The million dollar question is did you fix yours or were you to busy reading the dui thread. You better bet out there sunday

NorCalCat
12-06-2004, 05:07 PM
:D NorCalCat did you get the boat running. What was the problem.hope to see you on the delta soon. You can buy me a beer for the tow ha ha. Wait with that dui tread earlier make it a diet coke please :eek:
No still working on it. Man it was ugly. My gear drive went, granading everything. (rods, pistons, crank, etc) Force is taking care of it under the warranty and I should be back on the watter sometime after the LA boat show.
And thanks again for the tow. That day really sucked. :burningm:
I owe you more than a beer. That earlier thread was funn shite! What a fresh 21 yr old.
Hows the Advantage running? Did Carlose ever buy Gator?

ELIMINAT THIS
12-06-2004, 05:36 PM
No still working on it. Man it was ugly. My gear drive went, granading everything. (rods, pistons, crank, etc) Force is taking care of it under the warranty and I should be back on the watter sometime after the LA boat show.
I owe you more than a beer. That earlier thread was funn shite! What a fresh 21 yr old.
NorCal= I dont know if you remember what you said when I asked you what happend. You said it sounded like the hole motor came apart. I guess you nailed that one.Force kicks aass.If i buy another boat I will look at force.
Adavantage.
Gator is puting the imco lower back together for me,broken starter bolt what a f ing pain in the ass that has turned into.Hope to get it together by this week end.
I just heard yesterday that Carlos bought the 40' advantage hard top poker run twin whippled hp 500'S from delta sport boats . I want a ride

DryHeatOnly
12-06-2004, 05:45 PM
For those that have the IMCO's, can they be kept polished? I've seen a few sets but they all looked a little 'worn'.
The Rex's have a nice finish...will they stay that way with normal cleaning and polishing?

ELIMINAT THIS
12-06-2004, 05:56 PM
For those that have the IMCO's, can they be kept polished? I've seen a few sets but they all looked a little 'worn'.
The Rex's have a nice finish...will they stay that way with normal cleaning and polishing?
DHO= Mine don't last very long so Im not going to spend the time/money to polish it. :idea: They do look sick polished. One of my friends has a polished imco I will ask him about the up keep.

Rexone
12-06-2004, 05:59 PM
With = yes
Without = no
They are 316 stainless. The heat in exhaust however will bake the water spots and alkali/salt on any stainless that isn't maintained with cleaning and polishing.

DryHeatOnly
12-06-2004, 06:00 PM
Rex...What's the best stuff to keep the Rex's clean?

DryHeatOnly
12-06-2004, 06:01 PM
DHO= Mine don't last very long so Im not going to spend the time/money to polish it. :idea: They do look sick polished. One of my friends has a polished imco I will ask him about the up keep.
lemme know 'bout the IMCO's ;)

diggler
12-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Hey NorCal Cat! I got my first "noise" violation ticket this year (July) at Ladd's Marina as I was pulling in. The polics had set up a blockade and were pulling everyone over that was coming in for the evening. Sucked, but I got out of it by installing baffles and proving that I had corrected the ticket.

NorCalCat
12-07-2004, 10:11 AM
Hey NorCal Cat! I got my first "noise" violation ticket this year (July) at Ladd's Marina as I was pulling in. The polics had set up a blockade and were pulling everyone over that was coming in for the evening. Sucked, but I got out of it by installing baffles and proving that I had corrected the ticket.
So I guess us Nor CAl folks have to follow the rules too. Good way to get a DUI on the water too. Not sure what kind of mufflers/baffles to install.

NorCalCat
12-07-2004, 10:14 AM
[QUOTE=ELIMINAT THIS]NorCal= I dont know if you remember what you said when I asked you what happend. You said it sounded like the hole motor came apart. I guess you nailed that one.Force kicks aass.If i buy another boat I will look at force.
Ya, Brad and Jon at Force is really trying to "please" their customers. So far so good. I love the boat, but the motor on the other hand...I guess that is why they have taken it in house. They kick ass!

2forcefull
08-22-2007, 02:59 AM
[QUOTE=ELIMINAT THIS]NorCal= I dont know if you remember what you said when I asked you what happend. You said it sounded like the hole motor came apart. I guess you nailed that one.Force kicks aass.If i buy another boat I will look at force.
Ya, Brad and Jon at Force is really trying to "please" their customers. So far so good. I love the boat, but the motor on the other hand...I guess that is why they have taken it in house. They kick ass!
glad to hear force took care of all your warranty issues when it was still in warranty,
good idea of you to put it in writing

2forcefull
08-22-2007, 03:02 AM
warranty?????

Racey
08-22-2007, 06:11 AM
We've installed a half-a-dozen or so sets of the IMCO Gatlin style mufflers, yes you will loose some power at top end of course, not a whole lot, but they do restrict the exhaust more than straigh pipes. The heat of the exhaust will bake the minerals onto any set of stainless tips, they are very very easy to clean with a bit of muratic acid and water mixed together, it will strip the mineral off with no effort required, then you can hit them with some polish and you are good to go.
They still won't get you under the legal limit, nothing will unless you are running a stock small block, or you exhaust dumps under water :D, but they at least show that you've made an effort.

Beer-30
08-22-2007, 06:14 AM
A friend's boat has the Rex's on it, 496HO. I will say they are beautiful tips. A little quiet for me, though. Sounds like a tourny boat.

havaduner
08-22-2007, 06:24 AM
Rex...What's the best stuff to keep the Rex's clean?
I use a lime away on mine, every time it comes out of the water. Spray it on, a little rubbing, spray it off with a hose, wipe them dry. Mine still look great!

Jbb
08-22-2007, 06:28 AM
If my stainless tips ever get ugly looking ..Nevr Dull always brings em right back

dirty old man
08-22-2007, 07:04 AM
NorCal, I had a set of switchables but they did nothing but kill spark plugs. Went to IMCO gatlins (sp) and what a difference! really nice tone and almost legal at Lake Mead

HM
08-22-2007, 07:24 AM
I just picked a boat that had a muffler system in it. 4 inch I.D. with a cross-over pipe. I don't know what brand it is but it is really quiet. Looks like it may be one that is used in tourny ski boats. The mufflers are chromed and so is the cross over pipe. I don't know if it cuts into the performance....it is on a jet boat with a mild 454.