PDA

View Full Version : Rear Springs on a lifted F-250

ddevore
04-17-2006, 08:37 PM
Hey guys, I've got a 2001 F-250SD with a 6" lift. Right now the rear is using blocks to make it sit level, there crap. Anyone recommend a good rear leaf spring for one of these? I've seen some that say they ride softer - but I don't want to give up payload for comfort... Any advice is welcome

Fast Freddy
04-17-2006, 08:51 PM
blocks have nothing to do with your spring rate or its flexiblity and articulation. blocks can affect axle rap though. with that said for towing purposes you want your springs to be somewhat stiff or you will have to much sag in the rear of your truck when towing. if you are towing less than 5,000 lbs a block with the stock springs is ideal in my opinion. if you are towing more than 5,000 lbs then add 1 real thick leaf to your stock leaf pack and put in a smaller block to keep your truck level. if you want to have good spring flexibility and articulation for 4 wheeling and still be able to tow then ditch the stock leaf pack and go for a custom offroad multi-leaf pack and install air bags to use for when you are towing loads that weigh more than 5,000 lbs. just know that with custom multi-leaf 4x4 packs they will get out of shape quicker and you will have to get them re-arched sooner than the stock leaf packs.

Squirtin Thunder
04-18-2006, 03:03 AM
SkyJacker makes really nice quality rear springs. I also have a 6" lift on my truck. I installed the system as I recomend one every truck. 6' U bolts suck !!! I resently put a 8' cabover camper on the truck it sagged only about a 1.5" not bad for almost 1700lbs.

cc322
04-18-2006, 04:34 AM
Call deaver springs in santa ana they make all the springs for Donahoe kits simply the best and will not sacrafice ride
http://www.deaverspring.com/

ddevore
04-20-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the info guys - I was talking to my buddy that I bought it from it's only the 4.5" lift, I just measured the blocks at 4"...I don't normally pull more than about 4500lbs. Think it would be worth replacing the springs all together, or swap out the blocks with smaller ones / a thick add-a leaf? Most the springs I've been looking at are around $600 a pair, but I'm gonna keep the thing for a long time, so it may be worth the cost. The main problem I've noticed is a little axle wrap when you get on it off the line...
First thing I've gotta do is bring it into the dealer to get a new hitch - some dude in a Nissan sentra nailed me today doing about 30mph on the freeway when I was sitting stopped in traffic - Good thing my drop hitch was still in from pulling the boat :)

H20 Toie
04-21-2006, 08:03 PM
I put in a set of Fabtech traction bars and that got rid of all the axle wrap but i hear you on the blocks at some point i am going to change to springs in the rear also and it seems like Deaver is the place to go for them right now.

ddevore
04-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Anyone know if just doing the spings w/o traction bars would help with the axel wrap? I'd rather just buy one or the other if possible, but I'd like to have it right...

Mighty Thor
05-02-2006, 09:31 PM
I have used both Superlift and Rough Country lifts and they both make good products. The springs without blocks will help reduce spring wrap. Have a 6 inch lift on the suburban and havn't noticed any spring wrap.

MudPumper
05-08-2006, 12:49 PM
Call deaver springs in santa ana they make all the springs for Donahoe kits simply the best and will not sacrafice ride
http://www.deaverspring.com/
What he said, Period.