PDA

View Full Version : Spam - Owner Operators

lucky
12-07-2004, 07:52 AM
WE HAVE SOME POSITIONS AVAILABLE FOR DEDICATED , YEARROUND WORK WITH A THREE YEAR CONTRACT PULLING OUR 53 FOOT CURTAIN VANS - CALL CHRIS 800 232 4547 :idea: :D

AzDon
12-07-2004, 08:15 AM
I've thought a lot about what it would take to get me to re-enter the owner-operator pool.
The defects in the game seem to be 1) all wasted time is at the owner-operator's (o/o's) expense 2) all required labor for the load is at the o/o's expense 3) business slowdown (loss of opportunity) is at o/o's expense and while the carrier brags about the per-mile rate, it only applies to LOADED miles... all the empty mile are completely at o/o expense. It seems that carriers add owner/operators when there isn't quite enough work to economically justify the expense of adding a company truck, or the rate is too cheap for a company truck to run it. In other words, most companies would rather take a raked-off percentage of a losing piece of business than lose money with their own truck.
I would however, consider buying and adding a new truck to a fleet as an owner/operator under the following conditions:
In exchange for a weekly to-the-truck salary of $5310 plus all tags, permits and tolls, I will provide 70 hours of on-duty trucking services ( up to 3500 miles) as directed by dispatch. This will include all waiting time and loading time and will include handstack loading, if that is how your company chooses to spend it's money on this lease. The only other monetary requirement will be $340 per-diem when I reach 70 hours and I'm not at home (34 hours restart x $10). The breakdown on the $5310 salary is as follows:
$59 an hour ( equals 50 miles of straight driving making the base mileage rate $1.18 per mile) for the first 40 hours
$88.50 an hour for the next twenty hours (time and a half)
$118 an hour for the final ten hours (doubletime!)
I'd require a five year, binding contract, and would pro-rate discount any hours that I was unavailable
If there are any trucking companies out there willing to offer such a contract, I'm willing to put up a new truck to fulfill it!

Havasu_Dreamin
12-07-2004, 08:18 AM
Just out of curoisty, what kind of income can a OTR driver make? I see ads on the back of trucks saying $.40 per mile and that seems kind of cheap for all that driving.

ELIMINAT THIS
12-07-2004, 09:03 AM
LUCKY= Can you give a little more info. local,regional,otr. Last but not least whats it pay. Call me if it is local or regional we are always looking at other stuff to haul. Kaler @ Container Delivery Services 925-766-8350
HD=At .40 cents a mile a otr driver should make 45-55k not bad $ if you live in ohio and dont like your wife and kids haha.

AzDon
12-07-2004, 09:05 AM
Just out of curoisty, what kind of income can a OTR driver make? I see ads on the back of trucks saying $.40 per mile and that seems kind of cheap for all that driving.
Swift was running an ad in the Havasu paper bragging that they only charge recruits $550 for driving school and that a new graduate could earn $2400 in their first six weeks after training. I personally don't think a possible $400 gross per week for living full-time in a truck is something they should brag about! Swift is at the low end of driver wages though, because they choose to be a "training" company that hires almost exclusively from the unemployment office and lose their new drivers in about the time it takes for them to get jobs elsewhere.
In your example of $.40 per mile, a driver who was able to do nothing but drive (at 50mph average) would earn $1400 weekly, but the catch to mileage pay is that it might not pay ANYTHING for duties like loading/unloading or waiting (for whatever reason) to drive. Very few trucking jobs are pure driving!

Jordy
12-07-2004, 09:08 AM
$5300 a week??? OK Don, put the crack pipe down. :notam:

Havasu_Dreamin
12-07-2004, 09:09 AM
but the catch to mileage pay is that it might not pay ANYTHING for duties like loading/unloading or waiting (for whatever reason) to drive. Very few trucking jobs are pure driving!
I was not aware that the driver was responsible for loading and unloading of the truck.

Havasu_Dreamin
12-07-2004, 09:10 AM
$5300 a week??? OK Don, put the crack pipe down. :notam:
Based on his example I am assuming with the $5300 per week the owner/operator is paying all of the expense for the truck as well?

Jordy
12-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Based on his example I am assuming with the $5300 per week the owner/operator is paying all of the expense for the truck as well?
Hell, I'd hope so. Maybe they'll give you a fuel card too, I mean after all, you are AzDon (or are you not???) and this is make believe. :D

AzDon
12-07-2004, 09:15 AM
I was not aware that the driver was responsible for loading and unloading of the truck.
Generally, even if a driver is able to get another party to pay for loading and unloading, the driver is still responsible for the piece-count and condition. If it is a "truckload" that is accepted by a seal number, then the driver is only responsible to get a signature for the intact seal.

AzDon
12-07-2004, 09:20 AM
All expenses except tags taxes and tolls. Includes fuel up to $2.30 a gallon, tires and all other truck expenses, and all customarily expected loading and unloading of a conventional nature.

ELIMINAT THIS
12-07-2004, 09:23 AM
I've thought a lot about what it would take to get me to re-enter the owner-operator pool.
The defects in the game seem to be 1) all wasted time is at the owner-operator's (o/o's) expense 2) all required labor for the load is at the o/o's expense 3) business slowdown (loss of opportunity) is at o/o's expense and while the carrier brags about the per-mile rate, it only applies to LOADED miles... all the empty mile are completely at o/o expense. It seems that carriers add owner/operators when there isn't quite enough work to economically justify the expense of adding a company truck, or the rate is too cheap for a company truck to run it. In other words, most companies would rather take a raked-off percentage of a losing piece of business than lose money with their own truck.
I would however, consider buying and adding a new truck to a fleet as an owner/operator under the following conditions:
In exchange for a weekly to-the-truck salary of $5310 plus all tags, permits and tolls, I will provide 70 hours of on-duty trucking services ( up to 3500 miles) as directed by dispatch. This will include all waiting time and loading time and will include handstack loading, if that is how your company chooses to spend it's money on this lease. The only other monetary requirement will be $340 per-diem when I reach 70 hours and I'm not at home (34 hours restart x $10). The breakdown on the $5310 salary is as follows:
$59 an hour ( equals 50 miles of straight driving making the base mileage rate $1.18 per mile) for the first 40 hours
$88.50 an hour for the next twenty hours (time and a half)
$118 an hour for the final ten hours (doubletime!)
I'd require a five year, binding contract, and would pro-rate discount any hours that I was unavailable
If there are any trucking companies out there willing to offer such a contract, I'm willing to put up a new truck to fulfill it!
AzDon= If you find something like that I own 6 trucks ( 6 x $5300 x 50 weeks = $1590000) let me know. I will be out of the container del. business today,all my drivers will get a fat raise. I will retire at 34 and spend allday every day on my boat. Maybe even order 1400 hp quadrotor pp motor and a # 6 drive. :rollside: :rollside:

jbtrailerjim
12-07-2004, 09:24 AM
I don't envy owners of trucking companys nowadays. Drivers are in huge demand right now and the type of people these trucking companys have to choose from is pretty bad. I deal with truck drivers all day and I am amazed some of these people that are driving these rigs down the road can even manage to tie there shoes let alone drive a 80,000lb truck and trailer down the highway. But it's good for my business because they are really good at tearing up trailers. :D

AzDon
12-07-2004, 09:24 AM
Hell, I'd hope so. Maybe they'll give you a fuel card too, I mean after all, you are AzDon (or are you not???) and this is make believe. :D
You caught me JP...I'm really Scott Peterson

Jordy
12-07-2004, 09:27 AM
You caught me JP...I'm really Scott Peterson
The sad thing is, you think you're so clever. At least if you were Scott Peterson, you wouldn't be posting here anymore. ;)
I'm not the same guy as the original AzDon....I registered the name when he abandoned it thinkin I could have some fun!
Gee, and you had us all fooled too. You and your clever son.
You're not even smart enough to host your pics of your boat that you were posting as Backfire somewhere other than your own website. :sleeping:
I thought you left and were never coming back?
:idea:

Havasu_Dreamin
12-07-2004, 09:31 AM
Are you saying that I'm AzDon? If so, you're sadly mistaken.

Jordy
12-07-2004, 09:32 AM
Are you saying that I'm AzDon? If so, you're sadly mistaken.
Not at all. That was directed at Az"I'm done with this place and never coming back"Don and his fantasy land that he lives in. :cool:

Havasu_Dreamin
12-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Not at all.
Ok, wasn't quite sure since you quoted me. :cool:

AzDon
12-07-2004, 09:43 AM
AzDon= If you find something like that I own 6 trucks ( 6 x $5300 x 50 weeks = $1590000) let me know. I will be out of the container del. business today,all my drivers will get a fat raise. I will retire at 34 and spend allday every day on my boat. Maybe even order 1400 hp quadrotor pp motor and a # 6 drive. :rollside: :rollside:
The problem with the trucking business is that it is oversupplied with trucks that are willing to work cheaper than good business sense requires! The committment that putting six trucks on the road requires SHOULD gross a mil and a half a year! I realize that your competitors pricing prevents you from getting that kind of return. I'm surprised to hear of anybody owning a fleet of trucks to haul containers. Most of the "trucking companies" that haul containers run exclusively owner/operators so that they aren't responsible to take the operational losses that their bottom-feed rates would incur.
If you've figured out how to make money hauling containers, I consider you a genius, because the folks I used to work for in L.A. just barely made it in containers and pigs, and they're one of the oldest trucking companies in L.A.!

AzDon
12-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Backfire(?)

Jordy
12-07-2004, 09:49 AM
Backfire(?)
Come on Don, first you deny this was really you. But the Backfire screen name (your other log in), you're going to deny that too??? Tell us some good story on how it's not you. We'll believe you too because everything you say is so truthful and well thought out. :rolleyes: :hammerhea :cool:
http://www.***boat.com/forums/member.php?u=1697
View more posts. Seems as though this guy has an identical boat to yours, and even hosts all his pics off of www.v-driveboat.com Although, he did keep posting here after you left and said you weren't coming back. And we know that you're obviously a man of your word and really left and are not coming back right??? :rolleyes:

AzDon
12-07-2004, 10:02 AM
I think the old AzDon's beef was regarding the rep points. Didn't he say he wasn't going to participate as long as the rep point program lasted? If he's back as someone else (Backfire), it's either because I've got this screen name now, or maybe the guy just wants some peace(?) What's your beef with him anyway?

Jordy
12-07-2004, 10:05 AM
I think the old AzDon's beef was regarding the rep points. Didn't he say he wasn't going to participate as long as the rep point program lasted? If he's back as someone else (Backfire), it's either because I've got this screen name now, or maybe the guy just wants some peace(?) What's your beef with him anyway?
So now you're not AzDon again??? You're such a tool Don. Who do you think you're fooling here? :confused: :D

AzDon
12-07-2004, 10:18 AM
So now you're not AzDon again??? You're such a tool Don. Who do you think you're fooling here? :confused: :D
Why is it so important to you that I be the same guy that had this screenname before? You didn't want him around before, so you should thank me for performing a service for you (varmint removal). Just think...you'll never have to look at this screenname the same again!

Jordy
12-07-2004, 10:23 AM
I know that you're the same guy. Knew it from your first post. I also knew you never left and would be back, sooner than later. It's the fact that you admit and then deny who you are, and then think you're fooling anyone that I find funny. Also the fact that you come back with the same name and then deny it's you just cracks me up.
You're so absolutley full of shit Don, that it's funny and yet a little disturbing at the same time. :jawdrop:

ELIMINAT THIS
12-07-2004, 10:31 AM
The problem with the trucking business is that it is oversupplied with trucks that are willing to work cheaper than good business sense requires! The committment that putting six trucks on the road requires SHOULD gross a mil and a half a year! I realize that your competitors pricing prevents you from getting that kind of return. I'm surprised to hear of anybody owning a fleet of trucks to haul containers. Most of the "trucking companies" that haul containers run exclusively owner/operators so that they aren't responsible to take the operational losses that their bottom-feed rates would incur.
If you've figured out how to make money hauling containers, I consider you a genius, because the folks I used to work for in L.A. just barely made it in containers and pigs, and they're one of the oldest trucking companies in L.A.!
AzDon= I dont do port work at all I have tilt beds with winches on them.pu off the ground del. on the ground.If we do go to the port= reg. rate + $85hr wait time.You are right the trucking bus. is a very hard bus.to make a living.The cost of doing bus. have sky rocketed in the last 16-24 months fuel,ins.,workerscomp.Are rates are up 20% profits are down.But we dont need to make $5300 a week per truck to make a living that sure would be sweet.My accountant does a profit to loss statment on every truck every day to brake even we need to make $500 a day with each truck.Somedays we make money somedays we lose money.If the trucking bus.payed $5300 a week per truck every body would be in this bus.I dont care what bus. you are in if you dont love what you do you will make it period.

HighRoller
12-07-2004, 01:53 PM
$5300 would be a nice week of pay, but the BEST I ever did with my own truck and trailer was $4279 in one week. I hate to agree with AZD, but he's right about all the extra costs killing the O/O's. Imagine owning 100-150K in equipment and the company you're leased to will let you sit 24-48 hrs waiting for a load and then offer you between 50 and 100 dollars detention pay! I asked the last company how much it would cost them if they called a cab and had it wait outside their house for 24 hours until they were ready. They didn't understand my point, obviously.
Along with the O/O's that are willing to run for junk rates, the other big problem is that those people will try and make up for low pay by running 4-5K miles a week. That hurts all the other guys who run legal and the industry in general. Why would a company hire three trucks to haul three loads at $1.00/mile when he could find two idiots who will run their asses off at 85cpm and cover three loads between them? It's okay though, because anyone dumb enough to try and recoup their losses in volume soon finds out that driving like that kills your equipment 30% faster and you lose money anyways.
The only way to make money in the game is to pay cash for your equipment and run under your own authority hauling specialized freight. Sure, you can make a few pennies hauling reefer stuff, but I'm talking NET profits of 1-2K a week. Unfortunately, you won't find that money in the trucking business unless you go after government contracts hauling military or oversized loads.

rrrr
12-07-2004, 02:09 PM
Seems as though this guy has an identical boat to yours, and even hosts all his pics off of www.v-driveboat.com Although, he did keep posting here after you left and said you weren't coming back. And we know that you're obviously a man of your word and really left and are not coming back right??? :rolleyes:
Wow, I am in amazement. What are the chances that the new AzDon would be a truck driver that hates his job and blames all his problems on others, just like the old AzDon.
Isn't that just too incredible? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

HighRoller
12-07-2004, 02:11 PM
And how did he know the "old" AZDon abandoned the name? Are they neighbors? Do they PM each other? How do you know officially when a name has been "abandoned"? He's as full of lame excuses as he always was.

lucky
12-07-2004, 02:51 PM
Ok hope this answers some of the questions - pm me interested --
this is a e mail i sent some one that explains what i'm looking for - I shoot straight when it comes to work - bench racing is somthing else !!!
Don is telling the truth about trucking and making money in wich one deserves !!! Him and i and some other drivers know what its all about - i been doing this for 15 years - It ain't changed - Unfortunatly This is the trucking industry and i will post a list of other jobs listings if hot boat doesn't mind showing what they are advertising
YOU will make a living - and can posiably be home everynight if you live in the fresno area other wise it will be home for a little while every other nights and weekends - and also we offer paid vacation after your probation On theses hauls it will consist of tieing down load ( easy ) pulling curtains on trailer ( covering load ) and being a profesional driver ( safe - my kids are on the road ) there are some exceptioal jobs driving out there - they are just far and few inbetween - usually they disipear due to the competitive nature of the big carriers ! and the ol mighty buck !!!! andy ways here is what i passed on in a brief e mail to someone - with there name deleted
- this is an existing company that we have been doing business with for over 25 years and it is a big corp. We are still working on details about hauls/pay ( company driver ) it was suggested but not official that pay on the line haul will be 400. per way ( 900 per loop ) plus fuel surge-( 14% at this time ) so about 450 each way total - I do believe after doing a successful job after three years that we would renegotiate the deal ( cost of living bla bla bla ) as an owner operator we supply the trailer - cargo /liability insurance - you would have to supply bobtail - a person could come to work with existing tractor , or buy one of ours ( no money down - a grand a month for duration of truck amount ) this account is looking at two to three loops a week - ( if your able to run more ( legally right ) you could !! the local haul will be one to two company trucks with pre dispatched loads from customer ( your there truck ) company truck drivers have med - dentel -401 k and bonus programs local is 75 bucks a month no accidents /claims /tickets ect ) then second year $150 a month ( cap ) we have been giving saftey bonus checks out up to 3,000 for line haul trucks ( a few ) line bonus- if you get in an accident the it goes back to a penny a mile starting from time of accident ! ohh by the way you'd be working for me - lol so that's plus !!!! I know your ready to get out , just thought about you ! you have several option to live where you want - napa , bay , fresno - la land ( yea i know ) napa is puuuuurty and close to berryessa lol or camp far west - ( got to throw the boat into it ) any who - there it is - not trying to sell you - just telling you whats going on !
ps - my company drivers gross about $1400.00 every two weeks - like i said - i do not know what this will be paying as its kinda of a specilized dealio !

lucky
12-07-2004, 03:01 PM
$5300 would be a nice week of pay, but the BEST I ever did with my own truck and trailer was $4279 in one week. I hate to agree with AZD, but he's right about all the extra costs killing the O/O's. Imagine owning 100-150K in equipment and the company you're leased to will let you sit 24-48 hrs waiting for a load and then offer you between 50 and 100 dollars detention pay! I asked the last company how much it would cost them if they called a cab and had it wait outside their house for 24 hours until they were ready. They didn't understand my point, obviously.
Along with the O/O's that are willing to run for junk rates, the other big problem is that those people will try and make up for low pay by running 4-5K miles a week. That hurts all the other guys who run legal and the industry in general. Why would a company hire three trucks to haul three loads at $1.00/mile when he could find two idiots who will run their asses off at 85cpm and cover three loads between them? It's okay though, because anyone dumb enough to try and recoup their losses in volume soon finds out that driving like that kills your equipment 30% faster and you lose money anyways.
The only way to make money in the game is to pay cash for your equipment and run under your own authority hauling specialized freight. Sure, you can make a few pennies hauling reefer stuff, but I'm talking NET profits of 1-2K a week. Unfortunately, you won't find that money in the trucking business unless you go after government contracts hauling military or oversized loads.
my trucks are running legal as we are self insured for a very very large portion of a claim -- owner opps gross between 10,000-14000 per month hauling our trailer with cargo /liability insurance - if you work as a true indepent you will make more money - you also have more responsiablity and liabilty and hope you get paid with in 120 days- thats what nice about working for a carrier pay typicaly every two weeks and i have never had a check bounce -- ever period ....

lucky
12-07-2004, 03:05 PM
http://classadrivers.com/index.php?method=CompanyListing&StateID=CA this is not one of them !!! family owned corperation !

lucky
12-07-2004, 03:09 PM
a truck will average 48 mph - so it can travel 480 miles a day with load time /inspection -if you times that by the rate you will come up with a realistic pay per day if the company is a good one and does what it promises - you will find they are all basicaly the same -

lucky
12-07-2004, 03:25 PM
everything moves on a truck ! everything will get passed on to the consumer eventually - so as costs go up so will inflation - so compitition is a check factor - and not neccecerally a bad thing -- my .002 cents -- and don - thank you for laying it down :rolleyes: lmao -
trucking is a rare breed of exceptional people - way back when ,-it use to be farm boys in winter - now it has moved on to people trying to make a life in america at a sacrfice to themself for the betterment of your family - so typicaly young men/women starting out or older retired people that are traveling - or single people with no strings -- that is a how trucking is !

AzDon
12-07-2004, 03:42 PM
Lucky-
How many miles is one of those $900 loops? Are you still pimpin for Gus O.? For anybody with flatbed experience, I can vouch for curtain-siders as a really cool and much easier way to fly! I spent about three years on one.
I wasn't baggin on your opportunity specifically....I just get suspicious when somebody wants owner/operators!

billet racing
12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
We'll be looking for drivers to start in January also. We do not run any owner operators, all Company drivers. Both local and long haul.
And yes, its very hard to find a qualified driver. We pay at the top of the chain, and still have to weed a few out. Benefits? You have to. New trucks? A must. Our average driver pay is $45,000-50,000. Top drivers can make $60,000. Sometmes I think the drivers make more than I do, and I have all the risks. Very hard to make a living in this industry. Just have to be very picky of the freight you haul. We turn down a suprising amount of freight, and have had many customers tell me I too high, but will use me in a pinch, then cut me off.
Why do I do it?

AzDon
12-07-2004, 03:56 PM
And how did he know the "old" AZDon abandoned the name? Are they neighbors? Do they PM each other? How do you know officially when a name has been "abandoned"? He's as full of lame excuses as he always was.
When he left, he said that he wrote the administrators and asked to have his account deleted and I read it just like everybody else.

AzDon
12-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Wow, I am in amazement. What are the chances that the new AzDon would be a truck driver that hates his job and blames all his problems on others, just like the old AzDon.
Isn't that just too incredible? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Where in my 16 posts did I say I hate my job or even say that I'm currently a driver?

lucky
12-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Lucky-
How many miles is one of those $900 loops? Are you still pimpin for Gus O.? For anybody with flatbed experience, I can vouch for curtain-siders as a really cool and much easier way to fly! I spent about three years on one.
I wasn't baggin on your opportunity specifically....I just get suspicious when somebody wants owner/operators!
the loop is 718 miles per delome ( runs 10%higher then rand mcnalley ) typically ? and i know you mean no harm ! owner operators are a benifit to run to any company - due to workmens comp and health insurance - for sure ! a company driver usually cost the company twice as much as there pay - so yes we are always looking for owner operators - increased profits do equate to pay ! and yes - still gus

lucky
12-07-2004, 04:06 PM
We'll be looking for drivers to start in January also. We do not run any owner operators, all Company drivers. Both local and long haul.
And yes, its very hard to find a qualified driver. We pay at the top of the chain, and still have to weed a few out. Benefits? You have to. New trucks? A must. Our average driver pay is $45,000-50,000. Top drivers can make $60,000. Sometmes I think the drivers make more than I do, and I have all the risks. Very hard to make a living in this industry. Just have to be very picky of the freight you haul. We turn down a suprising amount of freight, and have had many customers tell me I too high, but will use me in a pinch, then cut me off.
Why do I do it?
if its any consolation - i make a little more than my drivers and thats how i want it ! I could do with out the 24/7 phone calls !!! :cry: i have been known to compare checks -

billet racing
12-07-2004, 04:13 PM
The real money for me? I own the building, and lease back to the co. They are paying heavily into my retirement account.

ELIMINAT THIS
12-07-2004, 07:06 PM
The real money for me? I own the building, and lease back to the co. They are paying heavily into my retirement account.
billet racing= We must have the same accounting department. I think I can apply for goverment chesse. BTW twin turbos I would realy like to see that.