PDA

View Full Version : computer question

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-07-2004, 03:47 PM
I am trying to read a 3 1/2" floppy disc we got from a van sign guy we used and it is saying it is not formatted.. then it asks me if I would like to format it and when I say yes it then says it will be erased.. :cry: what can I do to not have this erased. can I copy iy to a cd.. and if so where can I find that on the puter to do so. :confused:

voodoomedman
12-07-2004, 03:54 PM
I am trying to read a 3 1/2" floppy disc we got from a van sign guy we used and it is saying it is not formatted.. then it asks me if I would like to format it and when I say yes it then says it will be erased.. :cry: what can I do to not have this erased. can I copy iy to a cd.. and if so where can I find that on the puter to do so. :confused:
go into a command prompt and type the following
chkdsk /f a:
That will do a chkdsk with fix errors. If your disk doesn't work after this then throw it away.

FMluvswater
12-07-2004, 03:54 PM
I'd like to know same. I have some writing on a disk that I can't access for the same reason. :notam: Weird thing is I used to be able to access it no problem then when I tried again about 4 months later I got the "not formatted" error message. :confused: I'd hate to lose the saved writing on it.
go into a command prompt and type the following
chkdsk /f a:
That will do a chkdsk with fix errors. If your disk doesn't work after this then throw it away.
Edit: Thank-you. I'll try that also.

Scream
12-07-2004, 03:58 PM
Probably from a Mac, and you've probably got a PC, not too much to do but get a mac to read it.
Sorry
Scream

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-07-2004, 04:09 PM
:cry: thank you so much.. I do have a pc so if the editing doesn't work f uck the disk right.. LOL!! thank you. :cool: :smile:

voodoomedman
12-07-2004, 04:34 PM
The only other thing besides what I already put is to try a different pc. Sometimes it's the drive that is broke or just being tempermental. Floppies suck. You look at them funny and they can get corrupt. Go buy a USB memory stick.

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-07-2004, 04:36 PM
The only other thing besides what I already put is to try a different pc. Sometimes it's the drive that is broke or just being tempermental. Floppies suck. You look at them funny and they can get corrupt. Go buy a USB memory stick.
we were givin it from a man that lettered our work truck and I was trying to get the pics off of it to give to someone. thats why I was trying to copy it to a cd.. :wink:

ColeTR1
12-07-2004, 04:54 PM
Probably from a Mac, and you've probably got a PC, not too much to do but get a mac to read it.
Sorry
Scream
I will second this!!! you can take to kinkos!!! thay have mac's

MRS FLYIN VEE
12-07-2004, 05:02 PM
I will second this!!! you can take to kinkos!!! thay have mac's
thank you.. :)

voodoomedman
12-07-2004, 05:26 PM
No kinko's. FedEx owes them. :D
Go to staples or something. :)

mickeyfinn
12-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Nortons disk doctor may be able to help. Not the best software but usually easy to find someone with a copy. If it came from a sign company that does vinyl truck lettering it probably is not from a mac. Most of them now use windows applications. Unless you are talking about custom graphics like you see in vehicles that have been "wrapped". If you can find someone with it then you could use the Ontrack recovery software. If you can't get it with that then it is just plain trash. I agree with the above post that said try a different pc first.