PDA

View Full Version : TV help

phebus
12-07-2004, 04:50 PM
I want to get a flat screen tv to mount on the wall above my fireplace. I know there are different types (plasma, etc.) and would like to know what the best type is both for picture quality and for longevity. It needs to be hdtv, and compatible with the cox cable hd/dvr. I have 5'6" of width to fit it in, but something around 40-42" overall width would fit the space and look good above the mantle. I haven't shopped anything yet, and would like some knowledge going in.
Thanks

Jordy
12-07-2004, 04:53 PM
Talk to Roz. He's the man in this area. ;)

phebus
12-07-2004, 04:57 PM
Yea, I figured he would see this, as well as others that have dealt with him, and have info as well.
Thanks Jordy

kevnmcd
12-07-2004, 08:56 PM
I think I speak for ROZ when I say....Pioneer Elite. :D
P.S. How do you like the HD/DVR box? How does it compare to Tivo? I am thinking about renting one as soon as my HDTV get here.

phebus
12-08-2004, 07:41 AM
I think I speak for ROZ when I say....Pioneer Elite. :D
P.S. How do you like the HD/DVR box? How does it compare to Tivo? I am thinking about renting one as soon as my HDTV get here.
We love the DVR. The big thing is that it couldn't be any easier to use. You use the same programing guide you normally use, and just push the record button. You can choose to record a program, or an entire series. Super easy, and it also has some great playback features.
Do you have one of the Pioneer Elite's? If so, where did you buy it? I would like to go see one, and don't know what dealers stock them.

Evo22
12-08-2004, 08:40 AM
yea roz can hook you up or I can see what I can do.
he probably can do better than I can on price I own a PRO-1010 pioneer elite and love it

Krumbsnatcher
12-08-2004, 08:47 AM
yea roz can hook you up or I can see what i can do he probably can do better than I can on price I own a PRO-1010 pioneer elite and love it
Hey EVO how is the IPOD connectors going for the HD and F250's?

Krumbsnatcher
12-08-2004, 08:49 AM
I want to get a flat screen tv to mount on the wall above my fireplace. I know there are different types (plasma, etc.) and would like to know what the best type is both for picture quality and for longevity. It needs to be hdtv, and comptible with the cox cable hd/dvr. I have 5'6" of width to fit it in, but something around 40-42" overall width would fit the space and look good above the mantle. I haven't shopped anything yet, and would like some knowledge going in.
Thanks
PM Magic34onHavasu he just went through the perils of the exact same thing you are contemplating, exactly.

Evo22
12-08-2004, 09:03 AM
Hey EVO how is the IPOD connectors going for the HD and F250's?
I can wire it up using an exsisting cd changer module already but the real ones will be done by CES hopefully

ROZ
12-08-2004, 10:09 AM
Zenith ..j/k...
I have an appointment and won't be back until this evening.. I can totally clue you in then :)

phebus
12-08-2004, 05:16 PM
Roz, I will talk to you later.
I went and saw the Pioneer Elite today, but $7,000. for a 42" t.v. was more than I can handle. I did see this Sony which is last years model at what seems to be a killer price. Sony plasma (http://goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=581334) . Comments?

Jordy
12-08-2004, 05:40 PM
I think Roz had an appointment with a golf course and a bar. :D :D :D

ROZ
12-08-2004, 07:10 PM
Roz, I will talk to you later.
I went and saw the Pioneer Elite today, but $7,000. for a 42" t.v. was more than I can handle. I did see this Sony which is last years model at what seems to be a killer price. Sony plasma (http://goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=581334) . Comments?
First need to explain that there is a little confusion when buying hd tv's when there need be none. To keep it simple, tv's accept either 480 ot 1080...That's it. 1080 is refered to as HD or true hd, while all the other standards (ED,D, etc..) accept 480... While BOTH are HD tv's, the tv that accepts 1080 will display more information and the 480 tv's will step the incomming 1080(that's what's broadcast) down to display the signal at it's rate(generally somewhere between 480p and 540p)...
Second thing I need to say is that the tv's processor(3/2 pulldown, etc) will determinte just how well the tv will appear in sharpness, motion, and both sharpness in motion.
Bottom line is that you should buy the tv that looks best to you.
You can buy a monitor like the pro1010hd evo has, or you can buy a tv with sound and tuner built in. Also need to note that the higher end tv's like the Elites and upper end Sonys have seperate tuners that use a proprietary cable the links between the monitor and tuner. The cable is included but can be purchased seperately in a 35ft length. The cable is available for those who wish to have the tuner in a remote location, like a closet.
Also be aware that you'll need to move signal cables and electrical up(behind drywall) the wall behind the tv for the look you want.
You'll also need to decide on a fixed flat mount, fixed tilt mount, or a cantillever w/tilt mount. :D
Do you want a tv with speakers, or do you plan to use it in a room with surround sound? Eventhough I have the option of using my tv's speakers, I have the tv's audio output set as variable, and I always listen to the tv in a surround sound mode. Movies and satellite are always in 6.1 when available...
That is a killer price, but I'd make sure they still have one... We haven't had that tv for months... Also check out the Panasonic TH42PD25up.. The old Sony didn't have HDMI input, whereas the Panasonic has HDMI, side speakers, and cablecard option .... The downfall is that it(panasonic model listed) only displays HD in 480i and not 1080i... The good is that is does have a very good down conversion and processing, so it looks better than most cheap 1080i plasmas..
I haven't seen 1080 tv's from any quality mfg for less than 5500.00 retail... The less expensive tv's accept 480 and can be found for as low as 1799.99 at walmart...
If you can't get the one you want, give me another model number and I'll pm you a price.
There are a couple models I can't sell until the new year. Both are Panasonic. One is the TH42PD25UP I mentioned above, and the other is it's little brother, the TH37PD25up. Most custom(wall mount the tv) installers are booked past Christmas already.
In all, the job isn't that hard to do...
Chris

phebus
12-08-2004, 07:20 PM
Roz, after reading the specs, it looks like it recieves a 1080 signal. I talked to them today, and the salesman said they still have some in stock. Could you do me a favor and look at the specs., and let me know what you think the pro's and con's are on this set vs others.
Thanks again for everything,
Rick

ROZ
12-08-2004, 07:22 PM
need to add that the cablecard is like a satellite's access card only it plugs into the tv. While you will have to rent the cablecard from your cable provider(about 2.00 per month), you won't need a seperate cable box(10-12.00 per month). This won't work with pay perviews. If you order pay perview events, this is not the way to go unless you don't mind renting a box from time to time for he big fights......
I have found that switching to cablecard almost pays for your upgraded HD programming in most cases...

ROZ
12-08-2004, 07:31 PM
Roz, after reading the specs, it looks like it recieves a 1080 signal. I talked to them today, and the salesman said they still have some in stock. Could you do me a favor and look at the specs., and let me know what you think the pro's and con's are on this set vs others.
Thanks again for everything,
Rick
It's a tv I've always liked, and I've sold a lot of them. The newer tv's mainly have HDMI, Cablecard, integrated HD tuners, and some have advanced in processing.

phebus
12-08-2004, 10:12 PM
need to add that the cablecard is like a satellite's access card only it plugs into the tv. While you will have to rent the cablecard from your cable provider(about 2.00 per month), you won't need a seperate cable box(10-12.00 per month). This won't work with pay perviews. If you order pay perview events, this is not the way to go unless you don't mind renting a box from time to time for he big fights......
I have found that switching to cablecard almost pays for your upgraded HD programming in most cases...
Roz, through my cable company I already have a HD/DVR box. Does that negate the need for the cablecard should I choose to keep it? I really like the DVR, so I'm sure I would keep the box anyway. For the price, do you reccomend the tv?

Jordy
12-09-2004, 07:37 AM
The other disadvantage with the cable card, as I found out last weekend, is you lose the ability to have the on-screen TV guide as well. I could care less about the ripoff-per-view, but I like the guide as it maximizes my surfing efficiency as well as the built in reminder timers.
I was looking forward to getting rid of the box too. :(

ROZ
12-09-2004, 09:39 AM
For the price, do you reccomend the tv?
Absolutely! Our last purchase order cost from Sony was 3861.97....That is what we paid for our last shipment in May....

ROZ
12-09-2004, 09:41 AM
The other disadvantage with the cable card, as I found out last weekend, is you lose the ability to have the on-screen TV guide as well. I could care less about the ripoff-per-view, but I like the guide as it maximizes my surfing efficiency as well as the built in reminder timers.
I was looking forward to getting rid of the box too. :(
true, you do loose the cable company's onscreen guide, but some tv manufacturers, like Mitsubishi on their DLP's, have their own guides built into the tv...

ROZ
12-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Hey Phebus,
If you want something newer, look at the big brother of the Panasonic I listed above,... Model is the TH42PX25up...I'll pm you a price and you can let me know if you're interested... No worries if not...