PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sales

throwerb
12-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Why is it I am so damn happy to get $500 dollars selling stuff to people stomping through my yard like they own the place, that I must have paid at least $10,000 for. Am I CRAZY? I wonder if the pitchers of Margaritas had anything to do with it.

HCS
12-13-2004, 08:18 AM
You need to donate what is worth anything and get the tax right off.
Then sell the junk. Or vica versa. :notam:

Jordy
12-13-2004, 08:22 AM
I always like the people who try and haggle over something that's 50 cents or a dollar. :D

throwerb
12-13-2004, 08:28 AM
You need to donate what is worth anything and get the tax right off.
Then sell the junk. Or vica versa. :notam:
Yeah that's what we did. Mostly clothes and stuff like that. Ended up giving away more stuff than we sold to obviously needy families.

throwerb
12-13-2004, 08:33 AM
I always like the people who try and haggle over something that's 50 cents or a dollar. :D
Ain't that the truth. I had a guy argue with me over a dollar on a toaster oven that I told him he could have fo three dollars. That dollar meant more to him than a $100 means to any of us. I stuck it to him on a crock pot I sold him for $4, that I would have let go for $2. :D

HCS
12-13-2004, 08:34 AM
I know what ya mean. That cracks me up when your selling something for 5 bucks and the guy offers ya 4. I tell to f off.

mirvin
12-13-2004, 10:59 AM
I do a yard sale probly once a year. It's always kinda wierd fun. A little bit embarrasing yet strangely entertaining.
THe thing that gets me is the people that show up at the crack of ass to try to buy all yer good stuff so they can go sell it at the flea market. Every friggin time there's professional yard salers showing up early. We've gotten in the habbit of just telling them to eat chit :D
mirvin

jackpunx
12-13-2004, 11:03 AM
Ain't that the truth. I had a guy argue with me over a dollar on a toaster oven that I told him he could have fo three dollars. That dollar meant more to him than a $100 means to any of us. I stuck it to him on a crock pot I sold him for $4, that I would have let go for $2. :D
LMAO.. good one

Desert Rat
12-13-2004, 12:11 PM
I had a working washing machine that I was asking $50 for at a garage sale. Had a foreigner try for about 20 minutes the first time and close to a half hour the second time to try and get it for $35. He used his daughter to interpet when i knew he could understand me as he would comment to her before she translated. The last thing I told him (before he gave me $50) was that I would tie the washer to the back of my truck and drag it down the fuggin street before i would sell it to him for less than $50 and if he didn't want to pay $50 then get the fug off my property!! :D

NashvilleBound
12-13-2004, 12:15 PM
What the heck are you doing selling all you stuff? You need to keep all that so when you move here you can spread it all over your property. You never know when someone will need that crockpot again. If its out in your yard I can send Jethro over and borrow it any time and always know right where it is. Maaannnn..... :220v:

moneysucker
12-13-2004, 12:23 PM
That is why I like e-bay so much. I sold $3000 worth of boat crap for 700 and I felt really good about it. The best part is I never had to deal on price or deal with idiots. I can't stand haggling with people. My question to them is how low will you go, Say I am buying a boat or used car, they tell me and it is a yes or no. They know what they want and I know what I want to pay and if it wasn't close I wouldn't be there in the first place. Of course I am also a valued customer at the new car lots. I am known as a "full whack" customer with extended waranty and rust proofing. New car salesmen have annother thing coming this year. I am bringing in my own sales team to negotiate with them and when they are happy, I will buy the thing. I have a lot of friends that sell things on commission and they would have loved the deals I used to make when I was poor and was just happy that they gave me less than I owed on my trade in and let me haver the new one. I would have given you 40 for the washer.

throwerb
12-13-2004, 02:04 PM
What the heck are you doing selling all you stuff? You need to keep all that so when you move here you can spread it all over your property. You never know when someone will need that crockpot again. If its out in your yard I can send Jethro over and borrow it any time and always know right where it is. Maaannnn..... :220v:
I figured since we are going to be eating at your house (aka Outback, Sonic, Logan's) every night, we could sale all of our cookware. Besides, I thought you knew: a) Jethro likes his road kill, tar tare. b) He couldn't figure out how to use a crock pot to save his life :D

NashvilleBound
12-13-2004, 05:15 PM
I figured since we are going to be eating at your house (aka Outback, Sonic, Logan's) every night, we could sale all of our cookware. Besides, I thought you knew: a) Jethro likes his road kill, tar tare. b) He couldn't figure out how to use a crock pot to save his life :D
Its all good slim...your catching on :)

throwerb
12-13-2004, 05:27 PM
Hey Jeff, did you guys ship any of your stuff? If so, who did you use?

PHX ATC
12-13-2004, 05:29 PM
Just had a yard sale Saturday.
2 old ladies bitching over a chair. Normal chair, aluminum framing, nothing special, something you would see at a lunch table, say, in a breakroom somewhere. Padded, light gray material, black frame, used, exactly once. My wife got it when Office Depot closed their doors here in Mesa.
They were bitching over the angle of the rear, back support portion of the chair. One said it was angled too much for the other one's husband's use. The wife (apparently) said that he never sat back in a chair. #1 bitched that it was angled too much for him to sit and eat his breakfast. The wife said again that he didn't lean back when he ate breakfast and played cards. #1 bitched that he would be uncomfortable. The wife yakked that he would be fine, but gee, was it worth $2. $2? :confused: I don't get it.
My wife and I laughed and laughed over these two gray haired mouthbreathers bitching over $2 and the angle of the seat. We had 2, when they bought one, I volunteered the other one for free, just because, as I told them, they were the best entertainment of the day, listening to them complain about it. I chuckled, they refused the other chair for free and were rather offended, I think.
I kept the last chair, plan to use it in my next house, and probably never will get rid of the stupid ass thing, it's got an awesome story now to it! ;)

throwerb
12-13-2004, 06:35 PM
Just had a yard sale Saturday.
2 old ladies bitching over a chair. Normal chair, aluminum framing, nothing special, something you would see at a lunch table, say, in a breakroom somewhere. Padded, light gray material, black frame, used, exactly once. My wife got it when Office Depot closed their doors here in Mesa.
They were bitching over the angle of the rear, back support portion of the chair. One said it was angled too much for the other one's husband's use. The wife (apparently) said that he never sat back in a chair. #1 bitched that it was angled too much for him to sit and eat his breakfast. The wife said again that he didn't lean back when he ate breakfast and played cards. #1 bitched that he would be uncomfortable. The wife yakked that he would be fine, but gee, was it worth $2. $2? :confused: I don't get it.
My wife and I laughed and laughed over these two gray haired mouthbreathers bitching over $2 and the angle of the seat. We had 2, when they bought one, I volunteered the other one for free, just because, as I told them, they were the best entertainment of the day, listening to them complain about it. I chuckled, they refused the other chair for free and were rather offended, I think.
I kept the last chair, plan to use it in my next house, and probably never will get rid of the stupid ass thing, it's got an awesome story now to it! ;)
Should have told them they were twins and you promised their mother on her death bed you would never seperate them. I would have laughed my ass off to here them going back and forth.

NashvilleBound
12-13-2004, 06:36 PM
Hey Jeff, did you guys ship any of your stuff? If so, who did you use?
We sold our house furnished. All my tools and shop equipment went to all my friends. We only had our clothing/mattresses and the boat...of course. Everything fit into a medium Penske with no problems.... We shopped at Ashley Furniture in CA, wrote down all the numbers and then called Ashely's in TN to place our order....the entire house. 6 deliveries later...wha-la house full of furniture. I spent 3 days on the road with my cousin driving the van....then I flew Stacy and Tori out 2 days after we were here and the furniture started coming. No drama on the road....what more can a guy ask for????

throwerb
12-13-2004, 06:39 PM
We sold our house furnished. All my tools and shop equipment went to all my friends. We only had our clothing/mattresses and the boat...of course. Everything fit into a medium Penske with no problems.... We shopped at Ashley Furniture in CA, wrote down all the numbers and then called Ashely's in TN to place our order....the entire house. 6 deliveries later...wha-la house full of furniture. I spent 3 days on the road with my cousin driving the van....then I flew Stacy and Tori out 2 days after we were here and the furniture started coming. No drama on the road....what more can a guy ask for????
I offered to fly Jacqui and Chloe out after I got there and she said she wanted to ride with me, that it would be like a vacation. :rolleyes: :( :frown: :cry:

NashvilleBound
12-13-2004, 06:43 PM
I offered to fly Jacqui and Chloe out after I got there and she said she wanted to ride with me, that it would be like a vacation. :rolleyes: :( :frown: :cry:
Big difference between that and 2 younger kids......Offer to fly them out and they can stay with us till you get here. You know they are always welcome at Hotel Sparks :idea:

throwerb
12-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Big difference between that and 2 younger kids......Offer to fly them out and they can stay with us till you get here. You know they are always welcome at Hotel Sparks :idea:
I think if they stayed with you and Stacy they would never want to leave. :idea: Then again. ;) :D