PDA

View Full Version : pump problems

MellowYelloW
06-10-2001, 08:32 PM
Well i finally got my boat in the water...ran really good. but today i was going for a ride and started hearing this grinding sound coming from the pump i think. any one have any idea what would cause this..the pump was just rebuilt. only the second day out on it. please help!!
berkely 12-jg pump

spectras only
06-10-2001, 10:29 PM
Mellow, I suspect a few things.#1: the impeller /sholder wear ring forward clearance was set too close and some forward movement of the shaft happened, and the impeller touching the wear ring.#2 an inferior thrust bearing was installed and failed [may not have been lubricated properly prior to run the boat in the water].I've seen bearings with plastic ball cages and less balls [very bad practice]that failed prematurely.#3 the thrust bearing cap wasn't checked for keeping the bearing from axial movement toward the engine by the thrust of the impeller and the bearing may have travelled far enough forward to cause the impeller grinding into the wear ring.The early berkeley's didn't have a shouldered ring so it wasn't an immediate problem with minor movement.I'm sorry to say ,but the bowl and impeller would have to be removed to further investigate the problem.If you didn't do the pump yourself,it definetely should be checked under warranty.

rstover1
06-11-2001, 10:35 AM
Mellow I had a berkeley 12 je rebuilt and the guy who did it here in Ok. didn't properly adjust the packing at higher rpms water washed all the grease out of the front bearing with no grease it sounded terrible a new bearing and grease and packing adjustment fixed it. Do like I did take it back to whoever rebuilt it if its a shop Im sure they wont want an un happy jetter to deal with

froggystyle
06-11-2001, 11:35 AM
Could be a small gnome living in the bowl section too. That happens if you don't cover the intake when you are towing http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif

spectras only
06-11-2001, 03:22 PM
rstover1 ,there are two seals on the shaft to protect the thrust bearing from water.You must maintain a check to see if excessive water coming trough the packing gland.You can have one drop per minute while the engine turns to help lubricate the shaft and the packing.You must have had a flash flood going trough to wash the bearing grease out of a sealed unit!When a reputable builder finished a jet rebuild, normally makes an information sheet what to do during the first running.

MellowYelloW
06-11-2001, 07:35 PM
hey guys thanks alot...i took it to the guy who built it, actually his partner and they said that it is normal shaft vibration when the pump is not under load. he said that it is totally normal..what a releif!!
thanks again

HBjet
06-11-2001, 08:14 PM
Mellow, just curious, who did you take your pump to? When I had my pump rebuilt and blue printed I never had a grinding sound coming from it. Personally I would question the diagnosis of normal shaft vibration, since you said you started to hear the sound sometime after you were going for a ride, wouldn't that be under a load?. I would get a second opinion.
HBjet

spectras only
06-11-2001, 09:32 PM
Mellow,don't get brainwashed! What they ment is ,that's ok if you get a rattle without loading the impeller [ie http://free.***boat.net/ubb/redface.gifut of water]because you may have a slight play in the yoke that couples the pumpshaft to the velocity joint.Once you have the boat in the water,even at idle you shouldn't have a rattle.It's not defined in your post if you have a rattle or a vibration.Vibration would come from either a bad alignment,bent shaft or an out of balance impeller.

Bubbledeck
06-12-2001, 07:06 AM
I got hosed on my pump rebuild (long story), but it doesn't and has never made a grinding sound or had a vibration in it ... well, unless you count the time an intake finger went through it heh.
I think you should explain things to your pump builder so he can understand a little more clearly. I'd try the direct approach like " hey, you're gonna look awfully funny with a grinding Berkely pump sticking out of your ass" This may get his attention and give him incentive to investigate the noise further :-)

timitunnel
06-12-2001, 08:35 AM
I have never seen a methane powered jet boat.
Maybe if someone built one it would get the nature natzi's off our backs for awhile!

Slick
06-13-2001, 06:39 AM
Brian,
That's the reason I'm having my pump rebuilt. When my buddy and I sunk his boat (which is now my boat) he never had the pump rebuilt. After, the now famous incident, the boat would have a grinding sound coming from the pump. Told my mechanic about this and he said that water must have found its way into the main bearing, or some bearing (I'm no brainchild when it comes to this stuff). He also said, that if the front bearing freezes up on the pump, there is a good possibility it could cause a lower bearing on the motor to break as a result. I'm with HB on this one and get a second opinion.
Slick

froggystyle
06-13-2001, 07:56 AM
If it is making any noise once it is in the water, something is dramatically wrong. Even a shot pump doesn't make noise. Bring it to your builder, and with a little more tact that "Have you ever seen a 12JG become an anal thermometer?" Tell him that it is making a horrible noise, and if he doesn't believe you come on out and hear it himself. You could also disconnect the drive yoke, and ensure that the motor is not making the noise. While it is apart, rattle the yoke around and see if you see anything obvious, like a bad U joint for example. Then he has no choice.. Come check it out, or get his pants altered to accept a Morse cable for the reverse gate coming out of his ass.

MellowYelloW
06-13-2001, 09:45 PM
well when i took it to the mechanic he said that it was normal vibration. i will be at the river this weekend if it makes the noise when i am in the water then i will take it out of the water. i really hope that nothing is wrong. but if it is....warranty!!!!
thanks for all the input!

SeaSlut
06-14-2001, 08:36 AM
My 12jc would grind under load. The thrust bearing suffer catastrophic destruction and the impeller was grinding into the wear ring. If that is happening with yours it can tear through the wear ring and your case is toast! NOT GOOD!
Following your SOP for running out of the water, due so at an idle, place a long screwdriver on the case at the thrust bearing and put your ear on the handle.
Rev a couple times.
If you hear ANY grinding it is time to tear her down.
Place it on the bowl bolts, same story.
Can you produce the noise at will?
Use this technique to find the source.

HBjet
06-18-2001, 05:10 PM
Mellow, how was the river, and how did your pump do? Do you have any pictures yet? Anyway, I'm curious on how your pump performed, I'm sure others might be too. Let us know, thanks
HBjet

spectras only
06-18-2001, 06:06 PM
It doesn't look good! Mellow hasn't posted any message about his pump since the 13th.

SeaSlut
06-19-2001, 07:57 AM
Let us all hold hands and say a prayer for mellows pump, and maybe he won't get stung too bad or be out of the water too long..
FEEL THE LOVE!!!

Slick
06-19-2001, 08:30 AM
CAN I GET AN AMENNNAAAHHH FOR BROTHER BRIANNNAAAHHH!!!!

MellowYelloW
06-19-2001, 04:17 PM
hey guys...sorry, didnt get home til about 1:00 am monday. got home yesterday and went to bed. the pump was fine. no noise at all. did have other problems thou. i am losing oil pressure at high rpm (4700-up) holds good press. below that but as soon as i hammer down the press. drops. ????? also i have a mid range pop..through the exhust and sometimes through the carb. also???????
any advise.?
thanks

froggystyle
06-20-2001, 12:01 PM
Backfires are usually a lean issue. I found this out the hard way. Your existing fuel pump may not be keeping up with your needs, or you have a clogged filter. Check the filter at the carb inlet too. Only thing I can think of on the oil pressure is that the pump is sucking air. Do you have a large enough pan?? I forgot what engine you have too. By the way, I just pulled apart a BBC with the oil pump nearly off of it. I imagine if it had been subject to close scruitiny, We would have seen a drop in pressure at RPM.