PDA

View Full Version : Bummer

phebus
12-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Just got back from the doctor. Had back surgery two years ago when I blew a disc. Have been having recurring back pain in the past few months, so decided to get checked out. Well, the MRI results say it is time for more surgery, so I am off work awaiting the approval from work comp for the go ahead. I sure hope to get back to work. I am not ready both mentally and financially to retire. Bottom line for now..... I am going to be online a lot. Might keep me from going crazy!!

RP1
12-13-2004, 05:44 PM
I know we talked about this the other night, sorry to hear about the results. Hang in there and try not to end up with carpal tunnel from all the posting :D

Mrs CP 19
12-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Sorry to hear, hope all goes well and you are done with surgery and feeling better soon. The boards have been a great distraction for me since I've been unable to work! Jill

Chris Winn
12-13-2004, 06:05 PM
good seeing you on Friday,
hope all comes out for the best for you. hope that this doesn't cut into your boating season.

Scream
12-13-2004, 06:09 PM
How do you think My wife got so many posts...spinal fusion, 3 levels...she does have some good meds I have to admit. Who's your doctor and where?
Scream

phebus
12-13-2004, 06:11 PM
How do you think My wife got so many posts...spinal fusion, 3 levels...she does have some good meds I have to admit. Who's your doctor and where?
Scream
My first surgery was done by Dr. Palmer out of Mission Hospital in Mission Viejo. My next surgery will be done By Dr. Gross at Hoag Hospital. Both neurosurgeons.

Scream
12-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Hoag's a good hospital. Good luck.. What type of procedure are you talkin? Discectomy or fusion?
Just remember to do everything the doctor asks. Good luck and don't over do it after the surgery.
Scream

Lake Ape
12-13-2004, 06:55 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh!
My Dad just went through this last month. I SERIOUSLY suggest you take a look this, it's for real!
Dr. John Sarno (http://www.healingbackpain.com/index2.html)

TheLurker
12-13-2004, 07:20 PM
Sorry to hear about the need for surgery Phebus. It was nice meeting you at the Yard House Friday night.

phebus
12-13-2004, 09:23 PM
Hoag's a good hospital. Good luck.. What type of procedure are you talkin? Discectomy or fusion?
Just remember to do everything the doctor asks. Good luck and don't over do it after the surgery.
Scream
Last operation was a discectomy, this time he wants to do more diagnostics prior to commiting on an exact procedure (discogram, epidurals to individual disc spaces, etc.) Possibly fusion or one of the new synthetic discs. But, if I have any chance of returning to work, the least evasive procedure the better, so it is possible he will do another discectomy or laminectomy, with further work in the future.

Quality Time
12-13-2004, 09:32 PM
Phebus good luck, I hope they fix you up from another 3-Level fusion patient.

bunny 166
12-13-2004, 10:31 PM
Hang in there neighbor--thinking of you and the Mrs...keep us up to date and call if you need anything...I'm only 10 minutes away! That goes for you, too,shebus! ;) ;)

missboatnam1
12-13-2004, 10:59 PM
ouch!! that sucks!! good luck, keep up posted!! :frown:

IN2-IN2MX
12-13-2004, 11:32 PM
Sorry to hear that. Everything will turn out great though.
It was nice meeting you on Friday.

topless
12-14-2004, 10:48 AM
Just got back from the doctor. Had back surgery two years ago when I blew a disc. Have been having recurring back pain in the past few months, so decided to get checked out. Well, the MRI results say it is time for more surgery, so I am off work awaiting the approval from work comp for the go ahead. I sure hope to get back to work. I am not ready both mentally and financially to retire. Bottom line for now..... I am going to be online a lot. Might keep me from going crazy!!So sorry to hear this. we'll try to cheer you up. :rollside:

Debbolas
12-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Last operation was a discectomy, this time he wants to do more diagnostics prior to commiting on an exact procedure (discogram, epidurals to individual disc spaces, etc.) Possibly fusion or one of the new synthetic discs. But, if I have any chance of returning to work, the least evasive procedure the better, so it is possible he will do another discectomy or laminectomy, with further work in the future.
Ok, before my famous boob problems, I had back problems...(and I LOOK so healthy) :idea:
I've had an operation where they just cut the bulge off of the disk (not too bad to recover from) Then three years ago I had a 3 level spinal fusion. My surgery lasted 11 hours and they gave me 7 pints of blood (Is that right honey?) I was in ICU for three days, some other "special" floor for a few more days, when they finally transfered me to the regular floor I so wanted to go home, I was calling my doctor from the hospital. Did you know your doc won't take calls from their patients in the hospital? What is up with that?!?!
They made three incisions. One down my back to place the rods, one on my side to place one of the cages, and one in the front by my c-section for the other two cages. This sugery was very hard to recover from. But they don't do three levels all that often. I have degenerative disc disease and will have to have another surgery later in life. My back is disinergrating. I feel better after the surgery, before I was in constant pain. My advice to you is to wait until you can't stand the pain anymore and then have the surgery.Good luck!! Your lucky you get the new disks, they weren't available when I had my surgery. My doctor is Dr. Disney in Pomona, he is very good. My dad has the same surgery as I did at Hoag, I can find out the name of his doctor if you want?
Best of luck to ya!
hang in there, I know it is tough................Deb :clover:

HCS
12-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Just got back from the doctor. Had back surgery two years ago when I blew a disc. Have been having recurring back pain in the past few months, so decided to get checked out. Well, the MRI results say it is time for more surgery, so I am off work awaiting the approval from work comp for the go ahead. I sure hope to get back to work. I am not ready both mentally and financially to retire. Bottom line for now..... I am going to be online a lot. Might keep me from going crazy!!
I have back problems. I'm afraid to go to the doc and get an MRI. I don't want to here that I'll need surgery. :(
Sorry about your back. Back problems suck.