PDA

View Full Version : new to jet boats

challengerjet
06-01-2001, 09:18 AM
hey fellas, i'm new to all this so please bear with me. Back in Nov. I bought a 1979 Challenger with a 454 by Hardin Marine, Dominator Pump, Bassett Twisties, Dual 600 Holleys, etc. It was pretty rough looking but the owner told me the pump had been done last summer and the motor was done the yr before. I've done alot of cleaning and had the interior redone, new molding, carpet. I also put new starter, new Mallory Dual Point Dist. and Accel coil, I'm not sure I did the right thing but the Mallory is what it had on it and not knowing any different I replaced it with the same. Am I on the right track? I haven't had it in the water yet due to registration problems but it's looking like the next week or two. I'm from HB and any input/advice or just BSin would help. Thanks

Jetmugg
06-01-2001, 11:16 AM
You are definitely on the right track if you are going to get it in the water. On the water beats on the trailer any day. As far as the ignition, a lot of people still swear by the dual point distributors, although I personally prefer something electronic (either HEI or an MSD setup). This largely comes down to personal preference, and although dual points generally require more tuning and adjustment, they can work very reliably and well up to rpm levels higher than your engine should ever see. One item that is handy for jet boats is a rev limiter, as it's easy to over-rev the engine with the pedal down, especially in rough water.
SteveM.

challengerjet
06-01-2001, 01:31 PM
Jettmugg thanks for the input. Anything at this point will help. As far as a rev limiter, where do I start looking for something like that? pardon my greenness to this hobby. About the HEI, that's something that I tried but will the weiand hi-rise it won't fit. that's what took me to the mallory. again, thanks.

kingb36
06-01-2001, 01:52 PM
I have an Indmar 454/330 Jetpac in my 85 Taylor LP. I use a Mallory Unilite electronic dist. Set the timing and forget about it. It is a small body and fairly low profile, and should work with just about any manifold I can think of. Why spend time setting points when you could be on the water?
SQUIRT ON!
Bill

jaqquuuz
06-01-2001, 06:38 PM
Hey challengerjet I haved used both dual points and had no complaints they worked rather well, but now im going to go back to electronics either way points you have to check every once in awhile where as electronics you pretty much hook up and go anyway your gonna hear the pros and cons for either depending on what your gonna run. Good luck and happy boating.