PDA

View Full Version : ok help me out here

Rexone
12-16-2004, 12:01 AM
On the Scott Peterson Trial.
I'm totally confused why this trial became the subject of a national news phenomenon with hundreds of news crews camped out in Redwood City for months. Huge dollars spent in coverage and huge time blocks devoted to that coverage.
Scott Peterson was not a celebrity or a politian. No one had heard of him. He was not OJ Simpson or even slightly famous.
Thousands and thousands of murders occur annually, many with similar or worse levels of grusomeness as this case.
Many have the potential for death sentences and many are so convicted.
But none of them seem newsworthy for some reason. Kind of like a slap in the face to all the families of the thousands of people who had their loved one murdered and no one gave a shit (speaking of media).
I just don't get it why this case caught the media's attention while many many other cases of similar magnatude go unnoticed. This case had a pretty high level of bizarrness to it but so do countless others. And I'm sure Lacey Peterson is not the first pregnant woman to be murdered so I won't buy that as a legitmate reason for this level of coverage.
The only thing I can come up with to justify it was it must have been a slow news day. And I'm not trying to belittle the importance of the event or the people involved by saying that. Only that thousands of similar events occur all the time and go unnoticed and unmentioned. Why was this one singled out as one worthy of attention?
What just happened here :confused:
Was this all just about money (the media and ad dollars sold) :confused:

CJ
12-16-2004, 12:06 AM
It may be due to the huge search that went on in the beginning. When these searches happen, the news tries to "help" by keeping us abreast of the progress. I think the courtcase is just a continuance and something the press could latch onto.

Rexone
12-16-2004, 12:09 AM
It may be due to the huge search that went on in the beginning. When these searches happen, the news tries to "help" by keeping us abreast of the progress. I think the courtcase is just a continuance and something the press could latch onto.
I guess I can buy that somewhat. But I'm sure this isn't the only similar case that's involved a search for someone missing. I'm just wondering what made the media bite so hard into this particular case while ignoring most others.

PHOTOGLOU
12-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Probably Christmas and pregnant women plus someone in the media thought they saw a hole in Scotts story and it would be a huge story to break

CJ
12-16-2004, 12:13 AM
Maybe 'cause he sold shit for a living. :D

Rexone
12-16-2004, 12:16 AM
Probably Christmas and pregnant women plus someone in the media thought they saw a hole in Scotts story and it would be a huge story to break
So basically for exposure and the resultant advertising revenue?

C-2
12-16-2004, 12:19 AM
Uhhh.....
good looking alll american boy gone bad with a secret life, good looking all american pregnant girl - dead, lies, lies, lies, recorded phone conversations from mistress who was cooprating with police, mistress who posed nude, innocent guy but trying to flee dodge, that dickhead attorney creating a smoke and mirrors scharade, senile witnesses, confused witnesses, lies, lies, lies.....
Kinda like Springer, but true.
Also sad, but true.

Rexone
12-16-2004, 12:19 AM
I guess the bottom line is money. The media pretends to bring us unbiased news yet they hand pick what we hear based on saleability of the story. I just wanted to believe it was something else for some legitimate reason that I was just too dumb to see.

Cas
12-16-2004, 12:35 AM
I guess the bottom line is money. The media pretends to bring us unbiased news yet they hand pick what we hear based on saleability of the story. I just wanted to believe it was something else for some legitimate reason that I was just too dumb to see.
you're basically right Mike. There was a segment on the news up here a couple of weeks ago on the exact subject you brought up. The reason given on why it was such a big deal was because the media decided to give it the exposure. Some of it had a little to do with Chandra Levi being from the same area but it was mostly because the media needed something to pick apart.

wsuwrhr
12-16-2004, 01:53 AM
I will throw my .02 into the mix. I have thought about this alot. Why has it caught MY attention? People die and get murdered everyday. Not that an individual is insignificant, but it is an everyday occurance. You would go crazy worrying about things like that.
Anyway.
My take on the deal is she was a real sweetheart, loving, pregnant, had a tight family, her husband just a regular guy, had a good job, tight family, a real "American" "Jack and Diane", the holidays were upon us, and everyone has their heart on their sleeve.
I think the attention soared when NO DIRT appreared on Laci, and everyday that passed scott had more shit to wash off. The TV tears helped draw everyone in, even as suspicion grew on scott.
I hope the fukstick goes out to the yard out of schedule, "on accident" I think it would be cool to see a few make a nice "yardbitch" out of him.
That is my point, if Laci was some kind of bitch or something, at least he could have justified to himself what he did, but to me, he is just a pussy.
I still say light him on fire as the verdict is read, or let the families have a southern style ax-handle party with his ass.
Hell I would subscribe to the Pay-Per-View, and I never do that stuff.
Kind of like "Running Man"
Brian

JustMVG
12-16-2004, 02:05 AM
Well said Brian, what i have seen of the media is that there seems to be a bias towards "good looking" subjects, if Scott and Laci were say of a different race and not "photogenic" the whole story may have been on the last segment of any news program, or paper. But as you pointed out they were the All american couple, seemingly happy and carefree etc.
Sorry but Laci seemed to be a great woman, Amber Frey was a pitiful woman who has got to be feeling so absolutely stupid now, she got played in the biggest way, the whole Scott in France thing heard on the phone tap tapes, was sad and hilarious at the same time, and that voice, i could not stand her voice for long.
Anyway... Yeah it's a money thing, the networks, both cable and free got major revenue influx from this case and the Michael Jackson case, how the media prey's on stuff like this and still claims that they have a soul is beyond me. Sad commentary on life these days.
MikeVG

Blown 472
12-16-2004, 02:16 AM
All about money, ratings and the sheepeople that watch that crap. :frown: