PDA

View Full Version : Welder help.

HYPNAUTIC
12-16-2004, 11:24 AM
I thought some of you out there might be able to help me out with this..
Need to find a welder that is good for both aluminum and steel. This would be for just around the house use. Haven't used a welder in about 12 years so something simple would be best.
Thanking you in advance for your help.

HCS
12-16-2004, 11:46 AM
I'll pitch in.
Get a good mig. But there not cheep for a good one. Personally I like Lincoln.
www.lincolnelectric.com

dave186
12-16-2004, 12:55 PM
I like my Miller because its blue :wink: lincolns are good too. I dont know a specific model, but I would recommend MIG as well. but TIG would be even more versatile.

HYPNAUTIC
12-16-2004, 03:48 PM
thanks for the help. i'll look up miller and lincoln and see what they got. at least i know what type of welder to look for now.
thanks again..

Jordy
12-16-2004, 03:50 PM
Depending on what you want to do, those are the 2 brands I would look at. They have migs that run off 110V and are under $500. You can step up to a 220V unit for around a grand. I've got a Millermatic 185 and love it. Never had a problem with it. I started off looking at stick welders because that's what I learned on, but the guy at the welding shop sold me on a mig. Spent about 2 minutes with it and was welding my name in cursive. Very cool contraptions. :D

Jbb
12-16-2004, 03:53 PM
I have a Solar 2120 115 volt mig.....and have been welding panels on cars with it for 15 years without one problem...

HYPNAUTIC
12-16-2004, 03:54 PM
thats exactly what i'm looking for. 110V perfect. less than $500 perfect.
thanks JP

Jordy
12-16-2004, 03:58 PM
I found this. They seem to have gone up a little bit:
http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/p001730.htm
http://www.weldingmart.com/Qstore/custom/millermatic135.gif
MILLERMATIC 135 115V 60HZ W/REG HOSE
The Millermatic® 135 is perfect for light fabrication, garage/body shops, auto body, and at home. It welds material 24 gauge to 3/16 inch. This all-in-one MIG machine has infinite voltage control with wire feed speed tracking for easy operator control. Runs on 115 Volt input power to go wherever you need to weld!
For welding steel and just playing around, learning, etc. I'd just get a spool of flux cored wire and burn it up. It will be cheaper than blowing through a bunch of shield gas, although you'll need that if you want the really clean welds when playing with aluminum.
I don't know anything about the store I posted, just did a search online to see what was out there and how close I was. You can probably find them a little cheaper, but this one is at least in the ballpark.

Budget Baller
12-16-2004, 04:04 PM
I have the Miller in stock in Whittier, ***boat Member price is $575.00. This is the complete package, gun, cable, clamp, regulator, wire etc.
PM me if your interested.

HYPNAUTIC
12-16-2004, 04:11 PM
wheres your shop at? would like to stop by take a look, ask some application questions..
post or pm which ever works for you
thanks

HYPNAUTIC
12-16-2004, 04:43 PM
Mig will not work well for aluminum, you will need a TIG with the aluminum welding option. You will spend 1,200 to 1,500 on one. If you buy the mig you will be dissapointed for welding aluminum.
does the mig not create a stong weld on the aluminum or does it just look sloppy?

HCS
12-16-2004, 04:45 PM
does the mig not create a stong weld on the aluminum or does it just look sloppy?
Aluminum is not easy to weld and make look nice. It takes some practice.
Tig.

Blown 472
12-16-2004, 05:09 PM
It looks like shit, if you want that row of dimes look you need an ac power source and a high freq start with a tig set up.

Kindsvater Flat
12-16-2004, 05:27 PM
Buy them all and you're covered. :D
http://www.schoutenranch.com/mike/welders.JPG

jlnorthrup122
12-16-2004, 06:25 PM
I would definatly go with jordanpaulk on this one but if you do go with this welder you will whant to get a second whip (gun) specificaly for aluminum along with a set of drive rollers also specifically for aluminum! because the steel whire will contaminate and clog up the liner causing the aluminum whire to jamb up and that is a pain in the ass! I personally own a lincoln wirematic 255 steel spool inside the machine with a 25' tweco whip for that and a 25' lincoln aluminum spool gun this set up works great for me! you could probly find a used machine for cheap if you know people! good luck

OGShocker
12-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Spent about 2 minutes with it and was welding my name in cursive. Very cool contraptions. :D
You can write your own name? :crossx:
I love my Miller! I bought a plasma cutter this year, man is that thing fun!