PDA

View Full Version : Running a license plate.

dmontzsta
12-16-2004, 03:09 PM
anyone know where or how I can run a license plate to see who a car belongs to?

Outnumbered
12-16-2004, 03:49 PM
I don't think that is legal in Cali. DMV keeps an inquiry list for all who look it up I believe, eg DMV employee's, car dealers, LEOs, etc. But I'm not 100% sure.
OL

clownpuncher
12-16-2004, 03:54 PM
Got any cops that are good friends? It can be done and they can get in trouble for doing it, especially if the car/R.O. comes up with anything negative. I've had myself run for shit and giggles, but, I knew and my buddy knew there wasn't anything to be afraid of as far as wants/warrants/etc.

HYPNAUTIC
12-16-2004, 04:02 PM
I thought you could contact the DMV for the owner info. However you must sign a form stating that this is for legal purposes only (info bout an accident, lost or found property etc...) They might even forward your info to the owner and have them contact you.

RP1
12-16-2004, 04:06 PM
The DOJ does periodic checks on who and why the plates are being run. And as CP said, if something is "red flagged" there is some explaining to do. It's a bad spot for any LE to put themselves in.

Ziggy
12-16-2004, 04:07 PM
I do believe thru DMV it can be still had but for a legit reason such as it was because of an accident or you saw him hit and run your car...such things.
Best bet is thru a good neighbor friend LE or PI.......if he's willing to help you.

Boatcop
12-16-2004, 05:19 PM
One of the things that can get a cop fired and their certification revoked every time is misuse of the State/Fed Criminal/Vehicle computer systems and database.
Mostly it's guys running their new girlfriend's plates, or old Girlfriends/ex-wive's new boyfriend's plates.
For whatever reason, using it for non-LE purposes is an immediate career killer.
There are some subscription services on the internet that will access this stuff for a fee. Not sure how much, or if it's worth it for a one-shot deal. Mostly they're for PIs, Bounty Hunters, and skip tracers.

WUTWZAT
12-16-2004, 06:06 PM
I thought you could contact the DMV for the owner info. However you must sign a form stating that this is for legal purposes only (info bout an accident, lost or found property etc...) They might even forward your info to the owner and have them contact you.
Your basically right, you need to do this through the DMV and let them know who you are and they contact the owner and let them know who you are and get permission to forward the info to you. Kinda a I'll show you mine if you show me yours, but they don't have to reciprocate it back to you.
Why what do you want to know...... was she hot? :D
Is it the mascot? :hammer2:

repo man
12-16-2004, 07:24 PM
hey donnie check da pm.s

dmontzsta
12-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Thanks Dan, I totally forgot.
I want to track down the guy that cut me off today, I am going to pay him a surprise and wreck his day, night and year.
j/p

uvindex
12-16-2004, 09:12 PM
It used to be possible to get this info from the DMV -- the law was changed because of the event below, which a lot of you probably remember:
"In California, in 1989, Rebecca Schaeffer, star of the hit TV series `My Sister Sam,' was murdered when a crazy fan came to her home and shot her to death. Although the actress had an unlisted number for safety reasons, the fan had tracked her down through a Tucson detective agency that obtained her address through California DMV records. Since her death, Ms. Schaeffer's friends and family lobbied the California legislature to repeal this loophole in State law. Today, it is no longer possible to get such information from the California DMV."

upsman105
12-16-2004, 09:13 PM
I want to track down the guy that cut me off today, I am going to pay him a surprise and wreck his day, night and year.
j/p
well that sounds like its for a good cause. before you get really upset, have you ever cut anybody else off?? not trying to provoke you, just sometimes people forget their own mistakes.

Rexone
12-16-2004, 09:15 PM
j/p
my .02 let it go man. Not worth the negative energy. :smile:

ahhell
12-16-2004, 09:18 PM
best to let it go...unless he does it again

Brooski
12-16-2004, 09:31 PM
I would let it go also. But if you choose not to, unless someone wants to risk their job, I would go to www.abika.com
You can look up anything there, for a price.
A co-worker was fired for running a friends plate. Rules are pretty strict.

boatnam2
12-16-2004, 09:42 PM
im with everyone else let it go.i had a similar problem a year ago some prick hit my truck with a bolt or rock or something getting on the freeway.i got his license plate and found out where he lives and it was right by me.so i had to make the decision of doing something to him that could possibly cause harm to my family if he found out where i lived or seen my wife driving in my truck or something.plus the guy was a fireman so i know he has connection also.i wont say that i totally let it go but i let the walk up and kick his ass part go.my family and time in jail just wasnt worth it.

C-2
12-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Cali DMV information, if it's even sold by information brokers, does not list address information. You might get a name, but will still need to find an address for the person.

WUTWZAT
12-16-2004, 10:05 PM
j/p
Didn't I flip you the bird as I blew past and pushed you to the shoulder. :D C'mon Donnie stop picking on the asian drivers :p , you just don't like'em cause you never seen one in a v-drive before. J/K but my neighbor has a caution driver is asian sticker on her car..... never met her but looks like a good sense of humor to me.
Jason

LilHarley
12-16-2004, 10:14 PM
What happened ... on the 60 or the 91?

Ultracrazy
12-17-2004, 08:02 AM
j/p
That is the exact reason not to give out that information.......

Mrs. Psycho Squid
12-17-2004, 08:46 AM
Let it go. You'll be a better person for it. You never know what caused this person to cut you off. Maybe he/she has a good excuse. You can't tell me you've never driven crazy for whatever reason. I know I have.

Outnumbered
12-17-2004, 10:32 AM
No offense but you need to grow up a little if you want to go through all this trouble to find this guy, risk going to jail, etc. just to get even. Ya, it sucks that so many people drive like dicks. I used to get way worked up and almost beat a guys ass with a bat once but stopped myself and said to myself, WTF was I thinking?
After I had kids it made me realize that that is all petty shit and why take the chance of going to jail or getting shot for some dumb-ass looser. He will get his day if he drives like that all the time. :chi:
You f ucking with him probably won't stop him from doing anything that he already does. One day he'll get arrested or loose his license etc.
Just chill and blow it off. I know, easier said than done.
OL

C-2
12-17-2004, 11:35 AM
That is the exact reason not to give out that information.......
Yup, and the reasoning behind cracking down on LE access. Providing info like that is foolish, even though it might not amount or escalate to anything.

Brooski
12-17-2004, 11:58 AM
:idea: The best way to handle something like that is:
When you get to your destination, stop the car,
Drink a beer
Think about what just happened
Drink another beer
Think about what an idiot the guy was
Drink another beer
Think about how you would like to just kick his a s s
Drink another beer
Think about how if you tried to hit him now, you would see 3 of him
Drink another beer
Ah, heck, have a shot of Jeager
Drink another beer
Try to remember what pissed you off in the first place
Drink another beer
Try to remember where you are
Drink another beer
Try to remember the phone number of someone to come get you
Drink another beer
Heck with it, go to sleep
:idea:

Outnumbered
12-17-2004, 12:12 PM
:idea: The best way to handle something like that is:
When you get to your destination, stop the car,
Drink a beer
Think about what just happened
Drink another beer
Think about what an idiot the guy was
Drink another beer
Think about how you would like to just kick his a s s
Drink another beer
Think about how if you tried to hit him now, you would see 3 of him
Drink another beer
Ah, heck, have a shot of Jeager
Drink another beer
Try to remember what pissed you off in the first place
Drink another beer
Try to remember where you are
Drink another beer
Try to remember the phone number of someone to come get you
Drink another beer
Heck with it, go to sleep
:idea:
:D :D :D

ROZ
12-17-2004, 12:18 PM
well that sounds like its for a good cause. before you get really upset, have you ever cut anybody else off?? not trying to provoke you, just sometimes people forget their own mistakes.
I agree with you... My thought has always been that there may be a reason someone is driving a little erratic or a little too fast; Maybe an emergency or something....
I'd drop it... Karma will bite him in the ass sooner or later...Hopefully before he causes an accident..