If you're from:
Germany you're Geman
France = French
England = English
Costa Rica = Costa Rican
Cuba = Cuban
Mexico = Mexican
Spain = Spanish
Where does latino and hispanic come in? Is this like chinese-amercian or something?

cdog
12-18-2004, 09:47 AM
If you're from:
Germany you're Geman
France = French
England = English
Costa Rica = Costa Rican
Cuba = Cuban
Mexico = Mexican
Spain = Spanish
Where does latino and hispanic come in? Is this like chinese-amercian or something?
I love how white people these days act like calling a mexican a mexican is an insult. My mother in law calls them spanish and then I ask her if their from Spain. She then looks at me confused. :eek:

Backtanner
12-18-2004, 09:58 AM
I have spanish friends who would crack your jaw if called mexican and likewise mexican friends who would do the same if called spanish.

fat rat
12-18-2004, 10:06 AM
I quess it would be the same comparision as Native American and American Indian.

djunkie
12-18-2004, 10:37 AM
I think everyone should where a name tag with their ethnic background on it. "Hi my name is Dave and I am white." :hammerhea

MR.T
12-18-2004, 10:46 AM
Hi, My name is Mike and I am Californian.

ROZ
12-18-2004, 10:59 AM
If you're from:
Germany you're Geman
France = French
England = English
Costa Rica = Costa Rican
Cuba = Cuban
Mexico = Mexican
Spain = Spanish
You're exactly right. It means the person was born in the US, but is of that descent...
:)

1stepcloser
12-18-2004, 12:10 PM
Hispanic
ADJECTIVE:
1. Of or relating to Spain or Spanish-speaking Latin America.
2. Of or relating to a Spanish-speaking people or culture.
NOUN:
1. A Spanish-speaking person.
2. A U.S. citizen or resident of Latin-American or Spanish descent.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
Latin Hispnicus, from Hispnia Spain
Usage Note:
Though often used interchangeably in American English, Hispanic and Latino are not identical terms, and in certain contexts the choice between them can be significant. Hispanic, from the Latin word for "Spain," has the broader reference, potentially encompassing all Spanish-speaking peoples in both hemispheres and emphasizing the common denominator of language among communities that sometimes have little else in common. Latinowhich in Spanish means "Latin" but which as an English word is probably a shortening of the Spanish word latinoamericanorefers more exclusively to persons or communities of Latin American origin. Of the two, only Hispanic can be used in referring to Spain and its history and culture; a native of Spain residing in the United States is a Hispanic, not a Latino, and one cannot substitute Latino in the phrase the Hispanic influence on native Mexican cultures without garbling the meaning. In practice, however, this distinction is of little significance when referring to residents of the United States, most of whom are of Latin American origin and can theoretically be called by either word.·A more important distinction concerns the sociopolitical rift that has opened between Latino and Hispanic in American usage. For a certain segment of the Spanish-speaking population, Latino is a term of ethnic pride and Hispanic a label that borders on the offensive. According to this view, Hispanic lacks the authenticity and cultural resonance of Latino, with its Spanish sound and its ability to show the feminine form Latina when used of women. Furthermore, Hispanic, the term used by the U.S. Census Bureau and other government agencies is said to bear the stamp of an Anglo establishment far removed from the concerns of the Spanish-speaking community. While these views are strongly held by some, they are by no means universal, and the division in usage seems as related to geography as it is to politics, with Latino widely preferred in California and Hispanic the more usual term in Florida and Texas. Even in these regions, however, usage is often mixed, and it is not uncommon to find both terms used by the same writer or speaker.

1stepcloser
12-18-2004, 12:13 PM
Latino
NOUN:
pl. La·ti·nos
1. A Latin American.
2. A person of Hispanic, especially Latin-American, descent, often one living in the United States. See Usage Note at Hispanic.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ETYMOLOGY:
Short for Spanish latinoamericano, Latin-American, from latino, Latin, from Latin Latnus ; see Latin
OTHER FORMS:
La·tino (Adjective)

Rexone
12-18-2004, 12:56 PM
If you're from:
Germany you're Geman
France = French
England = English
Costa Rica = Costa Rican
Cuba = Cuban
Mexico = Mexican
Spain = Spanish
I hear you KF.
but I've never heard a person from Germany called a Geman :confused:

djunkie
12-18-2004, 01:05 PM
I'm Italian, Irish, and German, would that make me an Italisherman- American? :idea:

mickeyfinn
12-18-2004, 01:05 PM
If you are russian when you go into the outhouse and you are finnish when you come out of the outhouse what are you while you are in the outhouse?

djunkie
12-18-2004, 01:31 PM
If you are russian when you go into the outhouse and you are finnish when you come out of the outhouse what are you while you are in the outhouse?
European.......

mickeyfinn
12-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Ding ding....we have a winner!!

Dr. Eagle
12-18-2004, 01:50 PM
A European steaming one through the hoop... :smile:

Havasu_Dreamin
12-18-2004, 02:02 PM
I think everyone should where a name tag with their ethnic background on it. "Hi my name is Dave and I am white." :hammerhea
Hi, my name is Scott and I'm an AMERICAN! Is that so hard?

1Bahnerjet
12-18-2004, 03:01 PM
if your Mom is Italian
your Dad from Oklahoma
does that make you an Italian Okie ? :rollside:

Liberator TJ1984
12-18-2004, 03:48 PM
I live where they Breed

Kindsvater Flat
12-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Well we have a friend that says her great grandpa or something fought in some revolution stating that makes her a latina. But if you ask her mom she calls her a mexican. Like I said its all confusing :D
Hey Rex....... I meant to say German. I was thinking "r" but my brain was processing faster than I type.

mike37
12-18-2004, 05:40 PM
aren't Mexico and Spain two different countries

Rexone
12-18-2004, 05:42 PM
I meant to say German. I was thinking "r" but my brain was processing faster than I type.
You been hangin out with that Hanson chick haven't ya.

Kindsvater Flat
12-18-2004, 05:52 PM
aren't Mexico and Spain two different countries
Yes

mike37
12-18-2004, 06:15 PM
Yes
but Mexico was concord by Spain and then there was a revolution now its independent
5th of may Mexico's Independence day

uvindex
12-18-2004, 06:21 PM
5th of may Mexico's Independence dayMexican Independence Day is 16th of September. Cinco de Mayo celebrates the victory over the French at the Battle Of Puebla in 1862. :)

Rexone
12-18-2004, 06:30 PM
but Mexico was concord by Spain and then there was a revolution now its independent
Actually the concord grape is American, named after Concord MA where the first version originated.

Kachina26
12-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Is that where we get Concord grapes from?

Dr. Eagle
12-18-2004, 07:16 PM
Is that where we get Concord grapes from?
Was it Concord by Pawnce Di Leon? Oh that's right he was the guy after the fountain of eweth... :rollside:

Kachina26
12-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Was it Concord by Pawnce Di Leon? Oh that's right he was the guy after the fountain of eweth... :rollside:
stop it! LOL that's too much!

mike37
12-18-2004, 07:31 PM
hey you gays are funny :D thank for the spell check or is it grammar check :idea:

Kachina26
12-18-2004, 07:33 PM
hey you gays are funny :D thank for the spell check or is it grammar check :idea:
That's why we're here:D

mike37
12-18-2004, 07:40 PM
That's why we're here:D
you gonna make it to the naci lake bash???

Kachina26
12-18-2004, 07:57 PM
I want to, we shall see. Are people staying in Hotels, or is it strictly boat camping?

mike37
12-18-2004, 08:35 PM
I want to, we shall see. Are people staying in Hotels, or is it strictly boat camping?
there is room for motor homes at shadows brothers property
there is caping and condo's at the main marina and hotels in Paso but Paso is about 35to40min to the lake
the party will be at the lake and shadows brothers place
if you wanted a condo at the marina you would need to rent it now
probably get two family's in one to split the cost

mike37
12-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Naci web sight (http://www.nacimientoresort.com/)

welk2party
12-18-2004, 08:41 PM
I don't care where your family immigrated from. If you were born here you are an American...PERIOD! You should be proud to be one. You can recognize your heritage and be proud of that as well. But I stand by my opinion of anyone born here is simpy an American. :)

CARRERA
12-18-2004, 11:28 PM
If you're from:
Germany you're Geman
France = French
England = English
Costa Rica = Costa Rican
Cuba = Cuban
Mexico = Mexican
Spain = Spanish
Latinos & Hispanics
Are all of the above

Kachina26
12-18-2004, 11:33 PM
Naci web sight (http://www.nacimientoresort.com/)
Them rooms ain't cheap! Now I wish I had an RV. We'll see how things pan out.

HOOTER SLED-
12-19-2004, 12:01 AM
WHat happens if the woman is Mexican by injection?????????? :D :D