PDA

View Full Version : So I finally sold the old boat - strange story

diggler
12-18-2004, 10:24 AM
I had that old 1972 Tahiti that I had spammed about a month ago. Well, I ended up putting it on E-Bay. It sold for about what I wanted, but the winner was from Arkansas. Yesterday, he flew in with his wife (about 2000 miles) from Arkansas. I guess he left at 4AM, then arrived at my house with his wife around 1PM. After inspecting it, he then took his rented Trailblazer and started towing home.
Hopefully, their drive will be safe. I just can't imagine flying across the country for a $4,000 boat. Weird eh?

Havasu Hangin'
12-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks to Southwest, plane fare is cheap these days. I bet he paid a couple hundred bucks for the plane fare, and a couple days rental on the truck (they'll let you drop it off anywhere).
I'd probably do the same if I found something I really wanted.
It's a small world after all...
:cool:

ratso
12-18-2004, 10:28 AM
I had that old 1972 Tahiti that I had spammed about a month ago. Well, I ended up putting it on E-Bay. It sold for about what I wanted, but the winner was from Arkansas. Yesterday, he flew in with his wife (about 2000 miles) from Arkansas. I guess he left at 4AM, then arrived at my house with his wife around 1PM. After inspecting it, he then took his rented Trailblazer and started towing home.
Hopefully, their drive will be safe. I just can't imagine flying across the country for a $4,000 boat. Weird eh?
I've come across a lot of strange people off of e-bay...

DansBlown73Nordic
12-18-2004, 10:37 AM
Strange people on E-Bay. I had a guy show up to pick up a used Mercruiser motor with a Volvo station wagon....He put the old greasy motor in the back of the car.....It was a 2004 Volvo.... :sqeyes:

78Eliminator
12-18-2004, 11:07 AM
When I was selling my boat, I had a guy from Michigan calling me once a day, every day for two months saying he was buying the boat, and he almost had the money.
He never came up with the money.

phebus
12-18-2004, 11:12 AM
When I was selling my boat, I had a guy from Michigan calling me once a day, every day for two months saying he was buying the boat, and he almost had the money.
He never came up with the money.
When he got his phone bill, he couldn't afford the boat. :D

diggler
12-18-2004, 11:15 AM
One of the weird things this guy from Arkansas wanted, was for me to cancel the auction (after I already had a high bidder), and just sell it to him outright. Of course, I told him I couldn't do that. Well, he has his boat like he wanted.
Any other weird ebay stories?

LUVNLIFE
12-18-2004, 11:29 AM
Maybe those 72 Tahitis are next big thing to have :confused: You are right though that does seem like a lot of trouble for that style. Not saying anything bad about your boat but he should have been able to find something closer :p

DansBlown73Nordic
12-18-2004, 11:35 AM
Now if it was a V-Drive I could see it.... :boxingguy

diggler
12-18-2004, 11:39 AM
Maybe those 72 Tahitis are next big thing to have :confused: You are right though that does seem like a lot of trouble for that style. Not saying anything bad about your boat but he should have been able to find something closer :p
I hear you.... this old boat is a dime a dozen out here. However, the guy was telling me there was nothing like it out there. But,,... I know Texas has a ton of these types of boats.
No offense taken on the boat though.... after all, it is over 30 years old... :)

Liberator TJ1984
12-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Diggler, was that the boat you bought from David ?????
Gopherrr

mickeyfinn
12-18-2004, 01:09 PM
I sold a 1950 quartermaster bayliner that didn't run and the seats were rotted on ebay. I would have taken anything to get it out of the yard. At the last minute a guy who lives about 30 minutes from here got into a bid war with a guy from colorado. The guy from Colorado won with a winning bid of 800.00. He and his son drove non-stop to get here and pick it up. Towed it halfway across the country without even changing the wheel bearings. This was about 3 years ago and have talked with him since and he loves it. Guess Bayliners are actually good boats for some people. (can't imagine why though)

coolchange
12-18-2004, 02:06 PM
I've done boats that were worth $1000 when I started and people spend $10,000 on them and wind up with a $10k- 2000 dollar boat. There's nothin practical or sensable about a boat, as we all know its an emotional thing.
All the time I hear " It was my Dads boat and I grew up with it and want to restore it so my kids can have the same experience".
I love Ebay. It puts you in contact with that 1 guy whose life just won't be complete until he gets that yellow and blue "Whatever" he fell in love with as a kid.

diggler
12-18-2004, 02:18 PM
Diggler, was that the boat you bought from David ?????
Gopherrr
Yep, it was the boat I bought from David Hobbs. I've had it for, what about, 5-6 years now? I bought a 2000 Ultra Shadow, and I'm having a 565c.i. built by DNE motorsports for it.

Lightning
12-18-2004, 03:21 PM
So diggler, did the check clear?

Liberator TJ1984
12-18-2004, 03:31 PM
Diggler,
What did you ever get her to run ??? David did alot of pump work to that old barge and Nate re-did the whole bottom...I don't remember exactly but with a healty Olds in it, wasn't it running in the mid 80's ?....he put it on me in my Liberator before the motor upgrades :cool:
ps; I got my boat from Salt Lake City, Utah.....many others here in our group from Cali. or just as far...as for me when I saw mine it was like ....I don't give a shit what it takes , I want It !!!! :)

Liberator TJ1984
12-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Looks worth 4 grand to me :D
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/142PF_at_Lost_Isle_2-med.jpg

diggler
12-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Diggler,
What did you ever get her to run ??? David did alot of pump work to that old barge and Nate re-did the whole bottom...I don't remember exactly but with a healty Olds in it, wasn't it running in the mid 80's ?....he put it on me in my Liberator before the motor upgrades :cool:
ps; I got my boat from Salt Lake City, Utah.....many others here in our group from Cali. or just as far...as for me when I saw mine it was like ....I don't give a shit what it takes , I want It !!!! :)
Got her to run excellent for the past few years. I could never get it over 75mph because of the violent porpoising and chine walking. Almost crashed it after a spin out due to bow-steer. Lucked out there!
I hear you on the travelling. I bought the latest one from a fella in San Diego, and I live in the Bay area. It's a good 9-10 hour drive down there!

slotracer
12-18-2004, 06:58 PM
hell the last boat i got the guy drove from oaklahoma to gullap new mexico and i drove from stockton to gullap to meet him. left at 5a.m. friday and got home at about 6p.m. sat night
pat(slotracer) :hammer2:

Ziggy
12-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Hopefully, their drive will be safe. I just can't imagine flying across the country for a $4,000 boat. Weird eh? So long as they didn't give you a cashiers check worth twice the amount and ask for cash back :D :D

HOOTER SLED-
12-19-2004, 12:22 AM
I would not travel that far for a boat!!!

rrrr
12-19-2004, 01:58 AM
In 2001 I bought my Howard v-drive on eBay from a guy that lived in Lake Havasu City. I left Dallas at 8 PM on Thanksgiving day with a buddy of mine. We drove straight through. Outside of Albuquerque it started snowing and by the time we got to Gallup there was six inches of snow on the road.
We arrived in LHC at 11 AM on Friday and did the deal. Turned around and headed East, and we got back to Dallas at 8PM on Saturday. Had to stop in Tucumcari, NM for a few hours sleep. So we did 2200 miles in 48 hours.... not bad, eh?

Wild Horses
12-19-2004, 09:13 AM
I live 60 miles north of Salt Lake City and in the middle of january drove to St. Louis (actually had to go into Illinois) for my boat. Did the drive straight through with my wife, crossed Nebraska in a blizzard I was in 4 wheel drive the whole way. Came back through Kansas (no snow). One thing about it when you go to great lengths to get something you always have the memory. :D
Clint

Havasu Hangin'
12-19-2004, 09:16 AM
So we did 2200 miles in 48 hours.... not bad, eh?
And no battery problems?
:D

rrrr
12-19-2004, 11:38 AM
And no battery problems?
:D
Nope! I mounted a windmill generator on top of the Ex, kept em charged up nicely. :hammerhea :hammerhea