PDA

View Full Version : VW Toureg question

spectratoad
12-21-2004, 03:57 PM
Does anyone know about the VW Toureg? Is it reliable, good get around vehicle etc... A friend of mine just totaled her Forerunner. Someone t-boned her and she rolled twice down the freeway and she is looking for a replacement. She has asked me about the Toureg and Lexus SUV. Any info would be great. :D

1978 Rogers
12-21-2004, 03:58 PM
Cosumer Reports will give here what she needs. It's still new, so expect MSRP.

Jordy
12-21-2004, 03:58 PM
From everything I've seen and read about them the Touregs are bad ass, right down to the price tag. Going to be even better if they can ever release the turbo diesel version over here. :D

RiverOtter
12-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Does anyone know about the VW Toureg? Is it reliable, good get around vehicle etc... A friend of mine just totaled her Forerunner. Someone t-boned her and she rolled twice down the freeway and she is looking for a replacement. She has asked me about the Toureg and Lexus SUV. Any info would be great. :D
I have read that it rules. They say it out Porsches the Porsche and the diesel does 0-60 in 7.5 seconds while getting 25 mpg.

Boatcop
12-21-2004, 04:53 PM
I don't like VW watercooled anything since they've tried to force us Air-Cooled Hobbyists out of existance.
But for what it's worth, fellow River Rat, Robby Gordon, has picked up VW sponsorship and is racing a Toureg in the Dakar endurance race over New Years weekend.
If he makes it through without destroying the car, (drive it like you stole it) I'd have to give it a thumbs up.

UnionJack
12-21-2004, 04:55 PM
try to get the Diesel, for the VW

spectras only
12-21-2004, 05:13 PM
My neighbour has a Tourag . He thinks it's the greatest thing . He's german , so I'm not so sure if he's unbiased :wink:

jdogginla
12-21-2004, 05:20 PM
I test drove the v8 back in July........great suv. Out performs the cayenne and the fx45. The v6 isn't nearly as nice, but the price is alot cheaper. You can get either for below MSRP they've been out for 6 months now, and dealers have em.

mbrown2
12-21-2004, 06:07 PM
The TDV10 seems like a bad a$$ ride....Heck, if could tow a 26 cat across the street from Storage to Launch ramp, that would be a sick daily driver squatting on 22's... :)

UnionJack
12-21-2004, 06:26 PM
cayenne..... Isn't it pretty much the same ride? I know that the Diesel isn't in california

RiverOtter
12-21-2004, 06:29 PM
cayenne..... Isn't it pretty much the same ride? I know that the Diesel isn't in california
They are pretty much the same SUV. Of course the Cayenne turbo is in a league of it's own. But I'm pretty sure the standard Cayenne can't hang with the VW. I think the VW is better looking.

spectratoad
12-21-2004, 10:03 PM
From everything I've seen and read about them the Touregs are bad ass, right down to the price tag. Going to be even better if they can ever release the turbo diesel version over here. :D
She told me today there is one here in town. I think she said they wanted $60k for it :supp:

mbrown2
12-21-2004, 10:13 PM
Is it hard to find? or are they not selling it here?

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 04:27 AM
Is it hard to find? or are they not selling it here?
The V10 isn't legal in all 50 states. Prob not legal in CA.

boxscore
12-22-2004, 07:21 AM
We bought a V8 Toureg about 4 mos ago. The car is simply the real deal. Extremely torquey and fast for an all wheel drive SUV that weighs as much as it does. We drove the Cayenne S (v8) and couldn't justify the 10K or so difference. The electronics are far superior in the VW over the Porsche but who knows... those electronic gismos are always the weak link. We never keep a car that's not under warranty ...so that issue doesn't concern us. Here's the kicker... we tow and launch our 26' cat with it. That always seems to catch a few double takes on the road. (at least I dont think it's because we smoke weed at all traffic lights)

boxscore
12-22-2004, 07:22 AM
The V10 isn't legal in all 50 states. Prob not legal in CA.
The diesel is not available in Ca.
THAT is a shame.

Havasu Hangin'
12-22-2004, 07:24 AM
(at least I dont think it's because we smoke weed at all traffic lights)
You're stopping at traffic lights now? :notam:

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 07:25 AM
We bought a V8 Toureg about 4 mos ago. The car is simply the real deal. Extremely torquey and fast for an all wheel drive SUV that weighs as much as it does. We drove the Cayenne S (v8) and couldn't justify the 10K or so difference. The electronics are far superior in the VW over the Porsche but who knows... those electronic gismos are always the weak link. We never keep a car that's not under warranty ...so that issue doesn't concern us. Here's the kicker... we tow and launch our 26' cat with it. That always seems to catch a few double takes on the road. (at least I dont think it's because we smoke weed at all traffic lights)
How does it handle 26' cat? I know it's tow rating is very high but being a short wheel base I'm wondered about that?

boxscore
12-22-2004, 07:32 AM
How does it handle 26' cat? I know it's tow rating is very high but being a short wheel base I'm wondered about that?
WE just tow around Havasu... to storage at near windsor.... over to the Islander. It is a short wheel base, so I wouldn't wanna tow at freeway speeds. Then again, I'm considered way to careful sometimes.

boxscore
12-22-2004, 07:34 AM
You're stopping at traffic lights now? :notam:
It's the only way I can keep in front of you. Life is a competition ya know.

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 07:36 AM
WE just tow around Havasu... to storage at near windsor.... over to the Islander. It is a short wheel base, so I wouldn't wanna tow at freeway speeds. Then again, I'm considered way to careful sometimes.
Have you seen the diesel yet?

Havasu Hangin'
12-22-2004, 07:36 AM
It's the only way I can keep in front of you. Life is a competition ya know.
Yeah...so you better get some 33's on that bug...er...I mean Toureg. :notam:

boxscore
12-22-2004, 07:42 AM
Have you seen the diesel yet?
No... just read some articles. How many ft/lbs of torque? Gobs as I recall

boxscore
12-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Yeah...so you better get some 33's on that bug...er...I mean Toureg. :notam:
Bring over the tin snips... we've got some fender trimming to do. I'll need your help cuz I don't have those beefed up forearms like you do. How did those things get so strong anyhow? :confused: :rolleyes:

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 07:45 AM
No... just read some articles. How many ft/lbs of torque? Gobs as I recall

Havasu Hangin'
12-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Bring over the tin snips... we've got some fender trimming to do. I'll need your help cuz I don't have those beefed up forearms like you do. How did those things get so strong anyhow? :confused: :rolleyes:
I find that only showering once a month makes me very strong. :notam:
Tin snips? I have some safety scissors that will probably work fine on that VW...
:cool:

boxscore
12-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Obviously time for VW to develop that 3/4 ton truck. I did see they had a concept truck based on the toureg platform. But it kinda looked like that subaru truck years ago, granted a larger version of it. ..........BUT 600?? WTF?

boxscore
12-22-2004, 07:49 AM
Tin snips? I have some safety scissors that will probably work fine on that VW...
:cool:
"UNCLE" !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I GIVE !!!!!!!!!! (you focker)

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 07:51 AM
Obviously time for VW to develop that 3/4 ton truck. I did see they had a concept truck based on the toureg platform. But it kinda looked like that subaru truck years ago, granted a larger version of it. ..........BUT 600?? WTF?
HELL! You could sell the Farm Tractor and just use that bad boy http://midwestboatparty.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/headbang.gif

STV_Keith
12-22-2004, 08:18 AM
Actually, you can buy one here. My boss has one. I have ridden in it and it is sweet. You can set the suspension control for off-road, on-road, high-speed, etc and the thing moves up and down in ride height and changes shock settings. Had every damn option on it and really moved out.
He wanted me to drive it at the drag strip back in August, but I was too busy with our other truck to get to it. AWD, 310hp/553tq it goes pretty well stock. Other than looking like a nightmare to work on, we'll eventually probably have a box for it for MORE POWER! :skull:

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 08:51 AM
Actually, you can buy one here. My boss has one. I have ridden in it and it is sweet. You can set the suspension control for off-road, on-road, high-speed, etc and the thing moves up and down in ride height and changes shock settings. Had every damn option on it and really moved out.
He wanted me to drive it at the drag strip back in August, but I was too busy with our other truck to get to it. AWD, 310hp/553tq it goes pretty well stock. Other than looking like a nightmare to work on, we'll eventually probably have a box for it for MORE POWER! :skull:
What is the 0-60 on it? Are they cutting any "deals" on them yet?

mbrown2
12-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Are they cutting any "deals" on them yet?
My guess is no unless you know someone; I figure you are going to pay pretty close to MSRP on the V10 TDI model..

RiverOtter
12-22-2004, 09:00 AM
My guess is no unless you know someone; I figure you are going to pay pretty close to MSRP on the V10 TDI model..
I have yet to see one. I thought that maybe with the price of diesel up so much now VW may not be selling them as fast as they thought.

mbrown2
12-22-2004, 09:31 AM
I have yet to see one. I thought that maybe with the price of diesel up so much now VW may not be selling them as fast as they thought.
I think it has to do with how many they are shipping over here versus how many are sitting on lots...to get an idea, go to VW's website and search on Vegas or AZ dealers, and search Tourag inventories...I doubt there will be many V10's but I could be wrong....I looked at 8 Cali dealers online and see none, so obviously they do allow them into Cali yet.

totenhosen
12-22-2004, 09:32 AM
My suggestion to you is to go to http://www.vwvortex.com there are plently of vw heads over there to help you out about pricing and any questions you have. Check out there forums and you'll learn alot. Another site to check is http://www.edmunds.com which will tell you pricing and any dealer incentives on the car. If you come to LA (Van Nuys) I can get you hooked up on a Toureg in fact I've had several sponsored VW's from air-cooled to water pumpers so I'll be able to get you a bunch of stuff at discount.

totenhosen
12-22-2004, 09:35 AM
As of 2004 CA had banned the sale of new VW diesels in CA. I'm not sure if that applies to other makes as well. Do to this fact the VW diesels have a higher than normal resale value.

InKahntrol
12-22-2004, 10:08 AM
The Touareg TDI is available in the U.S., but not in California, Washington, Vermont, New York, New Jersey, and a few other states. The best solution to buy one is to grab it in Arizona and wait six months before registering it (you also get to avoid sales tax that way, or so I've heard).
The Touareg is already a great SUV, but the twin-turbo V10 TDI is an excellent motor. Smooth, torquey and quiet. The suspension can be raised and lowered depending upon where you're driving (off-road or racing the canyons), and when I spent some time in one I managed to put away a GTI on a mountain road. Not to bad for a diesel SUV.
Here's the review I wrote on the car:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/volkswagen/touareg/100377732/roadtestarticle.html?articleId=102383

spectras only
12-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Don't understand why the domestic manufacturers don't think of bigger diesels for SUV's like the Touareg ? I used to have a 1985 Cherokee Turbo diesel 5 spd , with a small 2.1L Renault [ AMC deal ] engine .It towed my 21 spectra/trailer [ 4000lbs] without sweat . The Liberty will come out with a diesel, rated to tow 5000lbs. Why not a Cherokee Ltd with a bigger engine ? :confused: :mad:

InKahntrol
12-22-2004, 11:54 AM
The Liberty replaced the old Cherokee in the model lineup. I actually drove a liberty with the new diesel four cylinder, and its a pleasent little SUV with lots of bottom end power. DaimlerChrysler and VW are really the only companies agressively marketing passenger car and SUV diesels here in the states. Ford used to build diesel excursions, but they just announced that theyr'e killing off that vehicle.
The car/truck marketplace is changing, and I think we're going to see some big shakeups over the next few years. Fuel prices in Europe have been double or triple what they are here for decades, and as a result nearly 50% of all new cars sold in Europe are diesel powered. New technology like common rail injection, direct injection, and advanced turbocharging techniques have made it possible to build a tiny diesel motor that can make impressive power quietly and with significantly better fuel economy than a gas motor. On a bigger scale, anyone who has tried towing a heavy boat with a V10 dodge versus a cummins dodge can tell you that the diesel truck has more power and gets better economy.
Whether we like it or not the world's crude oil supply is not what it once was, and gas prices will continue to rise. Just the little bump over $2 a gallon this summer made the Prius hybrid an instant smash for Toyota, and now there's a three month waiting period for that car. The higher gas prices get, the more people are going to look at a vehicle's mileage rating before buying. Toyota and VW engineers believe that manufacturers are going to split into two groups in the coming years... those who pursue diesel technology, and those who pursue hybrids. Don't get me wrong, I love the Prius in our test fleet, but since I don't think a hybrid vehicle will be able to tow my boat up the needles grade I'm throwing my support behind the diesel crowd.
Most of the folks on this board like trucks (its sort of a necessity in our hobby), and most of us are mechanical. Those two traits make diesels very appealing to us, since there are a lot of cool new diesel engines on the market in full-size pickups. Average Joe Americans, however, still think of diesels as noisy smelly and very slow, like the Mercedes clunkers from the '70s. Hopefully new cars like the Mercedes E320CDI, Passat TDI, and Touareg TDI will help change their minds. VW is actively developing technology to make their engines clean enough to meet California emmisions standards, which are the strictest in the WORLD. One of their inventions is a particulate filter that goes in the exhaust system, which would need to be changed about as often as an air cleaner. Pretty ingenious, really.
Probably the coolest thing about diesels, in my opinion, is the recent advancements in bio-diesel. Made from vegetable oil and alcohol, Biodiesel will run in any diesel vehicle, is significantly cleaner and more efficient than petroleum-based diesel, and best of all it can be produced by farmers right here in the U.S.A. Imagine that, we could have American farmers growing soybeans for oil and corn for methanol, American refineries processing the fuel, and American drivers trucking it around the country to filling stations. No more dependence on scary whacked-out foreign dictators for access to their oil fields. I know it seems a little out there, but GM and DaimlerChrysler have both agreed to fund biodiesel research, and EVERY new Jeep Liberty diesel sold has a biodiesel mix in the gas tank when you drive it off the lot.
Besides, Willy Nelson fuels his Mercedes CDI with biodiesel, and we know how much the red headed stranger likes natural stuff from the earth... :messedup:
Dan

spectras only
12-22-2004, 12:42 PM
The boat in my signature had two 300HP diesels ,before swapping back to the new 6.2MPI gas engines.It ran great and NO SMOKE :cool: . The engines were put in for demo purpose only.