PDA

View Full Version : Hooking up your boat trailer

Timer
05-22-2001, 03:51 PM
Has anyone figured out a slick way to exactly back up your vehicle so the hitch ball is directly under the trailer tongue, if you're doing it alone? (The tongue weight is too much to lift and/or jigger it over the ball.) I was thinking that maybe a mirror or a rear window lens could be used.

rstover1
05-22-2001, 05:31 PM
Line up the center of your tailgate with the nose of the boat usually gets me within a couple of inches. Also invest in a wheel for the bottom of your crank makes moving alot easier.

Bubbledeck
05-22-2001, 06:05 PM
something else you can do if the situation allows, is to mark the place on the ground where your tow vehicle tires are when you unhook your trailer .. tape, paint, chalk, whatever works. when you get ready to hook up again just put your tires where they were when you unhooked using your guide.

D,WHITE
05-23-2001, 04:10 AM
I have found a neat way to line up the trailer with the ball. Two telescoping magnets and place one on the center of the trailer ball hitch and the other on top of th ball,make sure that you can see both from inside the truck. Back up and sight the two in. When the trailer hitch moves the one on the ball towards the tail gate stop and lower hitch in to place.Saves a lot of time
DW

mario
05-23-2001, 07:56 AM
I did see a mirror that sits on top of a tailgate if you have a pick up so you can see what's going on.

gcostelow
05-23-2001, 11:39 AM
I don't remember who makes it but I have seen a hitch that had this spring loaded pin through it. You just simply back up near the trailer and pull the pin. This allows the hitch to swing almost 90 degrees in each direction on some kind of hinge. Then you hook up your trailer and lock it down. When you pull away, the hitch pulls streight and the spring loaded pin drops down into it's hole aligning itself with the receiver on the truck. I saw it on the TV show called Shadetree Mechanic a long time ago. At the time I think they said it cost around $150. Ouch! I bet those guy's have a web site and you could probably e-mail em for more info.

Rivertoys_com
05-23-2001, 07:34 PM
I cannot see the nose of my boat from the drivers seat of my Tahoe (boat's too low), when home alone I lean a broom against tongue on the trailer and line up with that.
Jason.

Spectracide
05-24-2001, 04:00 PM
Hey Timer try,
www.bartswatersports.com (http://www.bartswatersports.com)
look under trailer Acc.
I was looking for somthing else and stumbled on them.
[This message has been edited by Spectracide (edited May 24, 2001).]

Timer
05-24-2001, 04:27 PM
Spectracide, that catalog stuff is interesting. The swivel hitch mount looks like what gconstelow mentioned.
Thanks to all of you for your ideas. It gives me plenty to think about so maybe I can come up with a home-made solution.

ODDD1
05-24-2001, 08:06 PM
I usually back up fast enough to mash the license plate on my pickup...when it hits I lock up the brakes an the boat trailer rolls back just far enough to line up.......

timitunnel
05-24-2001, 08:11 PM
oddd1 I'd hate to see how fast your going when you drop a date off at the end of a date.]