PDA

View Full Version : What's the longest time it took you to sell a boat?

Chico&Zeus
04-18-2006, 04:40 PM
I have been watching several boats for sale and it seems that even with Summer almost here, a lot of people are having trouble moving em.

Kilrtoy
04-18-2006, 05:21 PM
2 days

AirtimeLavey
04-18-2006, 05:28 PM
I have been watching several boats for sale and it seems that even with Summer almost here, a lot of people are having trouble moving em.
Talked to one of the mfrs. today, and he said the whole industry is a bit slow right now. Not sure if gas prices, or like Tom said, a lot of peeps have tapped out their equity. Although, you'd think that'd help the used market. :idea:

Flying Tiger
04-18-2006, 05:43 PM
Maybe 2 weeks,, usually 2 days.
boattrader.com,, and be flexable on price.
I believe you can sell one on the west coast any time of the year.

USCFAN
04-18-2006, 05:47 PM
2 months. :cry:

LUVNLIFE
04-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Two weeks at the most :cool:

River918
04-18-2006, 05:52 PM
Everything I have sold (and there has been alot of stuff), I have waited to get MY price. I usually have a set price in my head and I will not go below it. If something won't sell for the price I want, I just keep it. But, everything has eventually sold for what I want to get. I keep my stuff in perfect condition, so it normally sells as soon as someone actually comes to take a look at it.

Jyruiz
04-18-2006, 06:05 PM
4 months, but is was an 18' Crownline and it was being sold this past winter which rained a lot, made it harder to sell.

USCFAN
04-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Where is Phatt Matt? I think he will have something to say about this one. :)

Froggystyle
04-18-2006, 06:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing.
Of course I should talk... I am at 4 years and counting right now! :D

4DAY4PLAY
04-18-2006, 06:43 PM
I have the same boat same year and bought it new for 48k.....Seems like he may need to be more flexible, IMO especially in todays market and with thier reputation.

USCFAN
04-18-2006, 06:47 PM
I have the same boat same year and bought it new for 48k.....Seems like he may need to be more flexible, IMO especially in todays market and with thier reputation.
I bought a 26" last year just sold it about three weeks ago and got what I was asking for it, which was about what I paid for it a year ago. You just have to wait for the right person to come along. I'm not sure about the whole reputation thing.

THATJEFFGUY
04-18-2006, 06:58 PM
I told Matt he should just rent his out. He could probably make enough that way to make BOTH of his boat payments !

Froggystyle
04-18-2006, 07:00 PM
The season is young. I would way rather buy a used custom boat than a new one in any case with all of the build problems people have. I think that about 1 week from Memorial day, if he is properly marketed it will sell for what he is asking. People see the frost on the ground and the rain and don't realize that if they are not careful they will miss Summer with a new boat build. They will look at the used market and buy something they like.
Happens every year.

USCFAN
04-18-2006, 07:01 PM
I told Matt he should just rent his out. He could probably make enough that way to make BOTH of his boat payments !
From the sounds of things he is a Big Baller. What are two boat payment to a man of his stature? :)

a catered life
04-18-2006, 07:47 PM
10 seconds sold my first boat at the river in blythe on a holiday weekend on its maiden voyage with a new rebuilt engine and new interior but it was jut plain luck :cool:

YeLLowBoaT
04-18-2006, 08:06 PM
I have sold 2.
1st sold in 4 days. ( actually they called the 2nd day of the news paper add and could not go out for a test drive for 2 days.)
2 nd 4 hrs Paper comes out at 6 am, called at 8 on the water by 9 hooked it on his truck at 10.

BoaterX
04-19-2006, 12:52 AM
Had mine parked and got a potential buyer while it was out daily for one week with a sign on it. Waiting for the buyer to refi. As a backup, I put an ad in boattrader and also have the builder put it on consignment.
Will let you guys now how long it takes. Just put mine in boattrader as of 4/20. See my signature for more pics and boat trader ad. If anyone interested, contact me via the number in boat trader, or PM me. Contact me directly and I can work a deal. If the deal comes thru consignment, sorry can't deal.

Chico&Zeus
04-19-2006, 06:18 AM
Wow, lots of 2 day/ 2weeks....it just seems that I see a lot of boats (they tend to be high dollar rides) sitting on boat trader for months, some for over a year. I know a lot of people are less likely to pull the trigger on a high dollar USED (hopefully not abused!) performance boat, but I can't believe how long some of them take to sell.

Tom Slick
04-19-2006, 06:37 AM
I guess I've got you all beat. One boat took about a year, while the other a year and a half. The worst part is I owned both boats at the same time. 2 boat and 2 storage payments. :cry:

Tremor Therapy
04-19-2006, 06:40 AM
My first boat was an 18 foot Tahiti flattie with an Olds 455 and a jet. I put it in the paper in '98 for 4k and it sold in a week. My last boat....I put it up for sale for first week of July 2005, and it did not sell until November!

OnlyMoney
04-19-2006, 07:09 AM
2.5 years....and counting. (http://www2.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105395&highlight=sunseeker) :rollside: :rollside:

NautiTwins
04-19-2006, 07:14 AM
The first and only thing I have ever sold was my COLE and it took 6 months.

Wmc
04-19-2006, 07:32 AM
I guess I've got you all beat. One boat took about a year, while the other a year and a half. The worst part is I owned both boats at the same time. 2 boat and 2 storage payments. :cry:
I'm going on 9 months, but we are starting to get some calls now that boating season is around the corner. Bought my Magic in July and have had the HTM for sale since - 2 boat payments suck. Took it off the market during winter, but it is now back in the boat trader for sale.

Steamin' Rice
04-19-2006, 07:38 AM
I sold my 29' Shockwave in about a month.. Prior to that I had a 21' Hallett that took 3-4 months to sell.

jbtrailerjim
04-19-2006, 07:44 AM
My old Essex took 7 months to sell. I put it up for sale in August and took delivery of my new Ultra the following month. So I was stuck with two boats for a while. Turns out it wasn't such a wise idea to put a boat up for sale at the end of the summer. :messedup: I dropped the price on the Essex quite a bit and it finally sold. I probably could have held on to it until spring and got more money for it but I was tired of sitting on it. I remember telling my wife when we bought the Ultra, don't worry the Essex will be gone by the time we take delivery of the new boat. :rolleyes:

Dave C
04-19-2006, 08:11 AM
I think you will see the high dollar stuff (say $150,000 and above) sit for a long time. While the more moderately priced stuff moves a lot quicker (say $70,000 and below).
There are alot more buyers for the more reasonably priced boat. People in that price range are looking for value that can be found in a moderately priced used boat.
as things get more expensive the numbers of buyers shrinks considerably. Plus if someone can afford a $200,000 boat they are more inclined to buy new. They are not looking for value, they want the newest, most advanced and blinged out stuff.

Brady Bunch
04-19-2006, 08:48 AM
The season is young. I would way rather buy a used custom boat than a new one in any case with all of the build problems people have. I think that about 1 week from Memorial day, if he is properly marketed it will sell for what he is asking. People see the frost on the ground and the rain and don't realize that if they are not careful they will miss Summer with a new boat build. They will look at the used market and buy something they like.
Happens every year.
This is exactly what I was telling GrapeApe yesterday. If you ordered new now it would be August at the earliest to get your boat with most manufacturers.

2Driver
04-19-2006, 12:14 PM
Right now, especially in AZ is prime time for selling. I usually sell in April/May (keep in mind I am on my 12th boat). That first week of 90 degrees does it I think. Twice, I've had two buyers looking at the boat at the same time and negotiating with me. It was weird.
I'm just about 25 cents a gallon away from putting our boat in the trader as we speak. Some dealers say after July 4th sales slow to a crawl.

BoaterX
04-20-2006, 09:25 AM
If you have your boat listed in Boat Trader, be sure to add another week to your sell time :mad: ..... I just got off the phone with someone at Boat Trader because i did not see my add listed online. She says their website has not been updated because it is broken. Because it is broken, any new ads will not be shown until they fix their website (Maybe this Saturday).
On top of it, they F'd up my magazine ad. Their system failed to pickup that my boat was a 23', so they defaulted it to the 15' and under boat section.
:mad: :mad: I waited 2 weeks for my magazine ad to show and now it's wrong!! :mad: :argue:

RiverToysJas
04-20-2006, 09:29 AM
When I sold my last boat, I just mentioned to a friend that I was thinking about selling it after that season, and a couple weeks later his friend came and bought it! ......I was boatless until the Lavey was done a few months later. Better than being stuck with two boats though. ;)
RTJas :D

moonites
04-20-2006, 09:59 AM
This is kinda pathetic, thanks to the spouse$@@#%#@@#!! New 03 Eliminator Eagle (great boat – like all Eliminators!!). Had it for 104 days. Went on the market for sale for 278 days. Sold it for $4k more than I paid for it. Owned it for 382 days. Now it’s time to make a change in my marital status$%$@##$&^&^%$!!!! :mad: :mad: :argue: :cry: :cool:

Chubby4Life
04-20-2006, 10:16 AM
.... I remember telling my wife when we bought the Ultra, don't worry the Essex will be gone by the time we take delivery of the new boat. :rolleyes:
Am I hearing an echo??? I told my wife the same thing! (mainly so I could get a new ride before the end of last season) We put our Ultra in the trader in the fall/winter and no bites, just lookie-loo's. Hopefully, with the weather making a change for the better, we'll sell in the next month or so.

Redwing247
04-20-2006, 10:40 AM
Two weeks, dont want to get stuck with 2 boats.

bunny 166
04-20-2006, 10:49 AM
I think you will see the high dollar stuff (say $150,000 and above) sit for a long time. While the more moderately priced stuff moves a lot quicker (say $70,000 and below).
There are alot more buyers for the more reasonably priced boat. People in that price range are looking for value that can be found in a moderately priced used boat.
I agree...We had a 19ft open bow Bahner jet and since it was listed for under 10k, it was affordable to alot of people...I think we got about 40 or 50 calls on that boat--sold it to the first guy that saw it for 1k less than we paid for it 4 years prior...Still miss it too! :cry:

Jyruiz
04-20-2006, 11:34 AM
If you have your boat listed in Boat Trader, be sure to add another week to your sell time :mad: ..... I just got off the phone with someone at Boat Trader because i did not see my add listed online. She says their website has not been updated because it is broken. Because it is broken, any new ads will not be shown until they fix their website (Maybe this Saturday).
On top of it, they F'd up my magazine ad. Their system failed to pickup that my boat was a 23', so they defaulted it to the 15' and under boat section.
:mad: :mad: I waited 2 weeks for my magazine ad to show and now it's wrong!! :mad: :argue:
Yup, they screwed me for while with this bull. Finally got it on after like 3 weeks, then when I call to renew it, they tell me it is all set and it never showed up. You have to be after them day after day, or you will be paying for no reason.

havasudream123
04-20-2006, 01:47 PM
My used commander took 1 minute to sell. I took it to a used boat dealer in Burbank, a place called THE BOAT HUNTER. He gave me $12,000.00 on the spot. I was asking $15,500 in the trader. This was so much easier. Let him sell that pile and deal with all the flakes that don't show, people with no credit, no cash Etc. Etc.

buzzaro
04-20-2006, 02:22 PM
Wow, lots of 2 day/ 2weeks....it just seems that I see a lot of boats (they tend to be high dollar rides) sitting on boat trader for months, some for over a year. I know a lot of people are less likely to pull the trigger on a high dollar USED (hopefully not abused!) performance boat, but I can't believe how long some of them take to sell.
A lot of boats get left on boattrader long after they are sold. I think the boat we bought still comes up for sale on boat trader and that was 2 months ago we picked it up.

BoaterX
04-21-2006, 07:19 AM
Looks like they got their act together. My ad is finally listed (http://www.boattraderonline.com/caddetail.html?/ad-cache/6/3/5/83827835.htm)

CBadDad
04-21-2006, 07:44 AM
When you say sell, do you mean someone says I'll take it, or is it when you have the money in your acct.
I guess the question should be, how long did it take you to get the cash?